Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine rejecting a 600k house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Sinus pain wrote: »
    I live in a council complex. The majority of people who live here work and aren’t scumbags. We are normal people and for the most part people are respectful of others around them. The biggest challenge facing people who live here is lack of education. They know no better than the council estate life and don’t aspire to own their own homes because they’ve been raised in council estates and that’s all they know.
    I can tell you they may be paying low rent but the council treat us like dirt. There was water falling from our roofs for 3 years and despite reporting it the council did nothing - turned out it was only a simple ball cock in the end. The places are riddled with damp - the windows are all broken - the glass in the windows is too heavy and weighs the windows down to the point where you cannot open them or if you get them open you can’t shut them. This is a fire hazard. Every year there are rats - the council have to be shamed in to doing something about it.
    Local people from the apartment complexes use our estate as a dumping ground as the council take away our rubbish (we pay extra on top of our rent for this). There are even people who do house clearances and come and dump the stuff in our complex. These are the respectable people that own houses or rent privately!

Not every council tenant is living in a free mansion and not every tenant is paying low rent. I’m living there and paying the same as my sisters mortgage - but I don’t get to sell up and move somewhere else - if I was to stay a council tenant I’d be stuck there for ever. I’ve recently got a really good job and am saving to buy my own place - but I’d never be able to afford the location this place is in.

What I’m trying to say is - don’t tar all council tenants with the one brush - because we are not all the same .

I can second this. I live in a privately owned house, bought from the council that is within a council estate. The neighbours blocked the sewer by flushing trash because they don't pay for bins. That was 2 or 3 days after Christmas and it was the end of January after getting a solicitors letter and ringing the local TDs that they came and unblocked it during that time my back yard was full of Sh1t and I could not shower in the house or flush the toilet. Nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bobtheman wrote: »
    The sexual revolution has its downsides. Its easier for guys to leave and women are hooking up with some bad apples. However even in the middle classes you will get **** who don't pay child support.

the money isn't quite the issue. Atleast in middle class areas you might have a kid or 2 who's dad isn't around but theres other good dads to look up to, bring them to football, tell them off when they break a window etc.. lessons among kids friends.

there'd be some estates with 12 kids in a row who've never seen a dad between them and the only lad who comes round sells hash for a living and throws It into a few of the mothers.

not having a dad in a good area is one thing, not having a dad in a bad area is in itself a poverty trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭MFPM

enricoh wrote: »
    More, more, more! What could possibly go wrong!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-banks-debt-paschal-donohoe-13187329.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjI8cCjz_DqAhUNUxUIHUGtAWQQFjAMegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1_UCiVzdRg_94_feGW2jIl&ampcf=1

Ireland is the THIRD most indebted country in the developed world with €201 billion mountain of debt
    The debt equates to every man, woman and child in Ireland owing €42,000

An article from 2018?

You are aware we have handed massive chunks of state land to global equity firms at knock down prices, you are aware we incentivisedthe entry into the property market of said firms and allowed the establishment of REITs...but yeah you're right wecan't build social houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭MFPM

a lack of fathers around has a hell of a lot more to do with things than almost any other factor. Positive male role models are seriously lacking in poor communities.

And again the fault lies with people....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

the money isn't quite the issue. Atleast in middle class areas you might have a kid or 2 who's dad isn't around but theres other good dads to look up to, bring them to football, tell them off when they break a window etc.. lessons among kids friends.

there'd be some estates with 12 kids in a row who've never seen a dad between them and the only lad who comes round sells hash for a living and throws It into a few of the mothers.

not having a dad in a good area is one thing, not having a dad in a bad area is in itself a poverty trap.

Ok, this is stupid. I agree with the majority of your earlier posts, but your mask dropped here, unfortunately. Could you be more prejudiced?

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    More, more, more! What could possibly go wrong!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-banks-debt-paschal-donohoe-13187329.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjI8cCjz_DqAhUNUxUIHUGtAWQQFjAMegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1_UCiVzdRg_94_feGW2jIl&ampcf=1

Ireland is the THIRD most indebted country in the developed world with €201 billion mountain of debt
    The debt equates to every man, woman and child in Ireland owing €42,000

We also have the worst housing crisis of the developed world, the worst health system the worst public transport and almost no military expenditure so obviously the money isn't going to service Ireland's needs at all, that debt was amassed helping foreign rich folks not go bust.

MFPM wrote: »
    And again the fault lies with people....

in general peoples own lives and the outcomes of those are their own faults yes, its called personal responsibility , people should have some

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I live in a council complex. The majority of people who live here work and aren’t scumbags. We are normal people and for the most part people are respectful of others around them. The biggest challenge facing people who live here is lack of education. They know no better than the council estate life and don’t aspire to own their own homes because they’ve been raised in council estates and that’s all they know.
    I can tell you they may be paying low rent but the council treat us like dirt. There was water falling from our roofs for 3 years and despite reporting it the council did nothing - turned out it was only a simple ball cock in the end. The places are riddled with damp - the windows are all broken - the glass in the windows is too heavy and weighs the windows down to the point where you cannot open them or if you get them open you can’t shut them. This is a fire hazard. Every year there are rats - the council have to be shamed in to doing something about it.
    Local people from the apartment complexes use our estate as a dumping ground as the council take away our rubbish (we pay extra on top of our rent for this). There are even people who do house clearances and come and dump the stuff in our complex. These are the respectable people that own houses or rent privately!

Not every council tenant is living in a free mansion and not every tenant is paying low rent. I’m living there and paying the same as my sisters mortgage - but I don’t get to sell up and move somewhere else - if I was to stay a council tenant I’d be stuck there for ever. I’ve recently got a really good job and am saving to buy my own place - but I’d never be able to afford the location this place is in.

What I’m trying to say is - don’t tar all council tenants with the one brush - because we are not all the same .

That is an astonishing story. Three years of falling water from the roof, and not one of the tenants could be bothered to go up and fix a simple ball cock. Astonishing.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Not in a million years do I look down on somebody in social housing. I just think the system is very unfair for hardworking people to get some sort of accomdation for themselves. It's a great country if you want to do fcuk all and blame the gobermint for only having a 3 bed when you want a 5.

Of course if you say anything you're worse than Hitler.
    I think it's gas the amount of attention the tiny number of poor people who abuse the system get and the government is rifling millions out of our pockets and handing it over to billionairs and nobody says a thing.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Ok, this is stupid. I agree with the majority of your earlier posts, but your mask dropped here, unfortunately. Could you be more prejudiced?

prejudiced against what ? raising children in a single parent household has its issues, those issues are exacerbated heavily when that houses source of income is only welfare, and is made even worse by the state encouraging people to be lone parents for more welfare / bump up the housing list. Fathers are necessary, they contribute a lot to society, lads being absolute tossers and not looking after their kids, and mothers being absolute tossers and riding the local career criminal/drug dealer/layabout has caused massive issues in society. Both genders are to blame, but the kids are the victims here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

cgcsb wrote: »
    I think it's gas the amount of attention the tiny number of poor people who abuse the system get and the government is rifling millions out of our pockets and handing it over to billionairs and nobody says a thing.

Poor people? Are you for real? These bastards don't want to work and ridicule the people that do. I've heard them say this first hand plus they have more disposable income than a lot of people who work the daily grind. So they can fcuk themselves along with those crooks in Dail Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is an astonishing story. Three years of falling water from the roof, and not one of the tenants could be bothered to go up and fix a simple ball cock. Astonishing.

Tenants are not allowed and have no access to the roof of a flat complex. The council had to get their hoist in to do it. The council are our landlords and are expected to fix faults - it’s in the tenancy agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

prejudiced against what ? raising children in a single parent household has its issues, those issues are exacerbated heavily when that houses source of income is only welfare, and is made even worse by the state encouraging people to be lone parents for more welfare / bump up the housing list. Fathers are necessary, they contribute a lot to society, lads being absolute tossers and not looking after their kids, and mothers being absolute tossers and riding the local career criminal/drug dealer/layabout has caused massive issues in society. Both genders are to blame, but the kids are the victims here.

Prejudiced against working-class families, obviously? You're presuming that the vast majority of children from working-class families come from a broken home, which in of itself is prejudiced. You also said that even in circumstances whereby a child from a middle-class background comes from an identical family structure, because the families he's surrounded by come from wealthier backgrounds, the fathers within those families have some sort of superior ethical high ground in comparison to their less wealthy counterparts? What utter poppycock.

Social inequality plays a far more significant role in determing how an impressionable child turns out later in life, rather than how much time said child spent with their father. If the opposite were true, 90% (gross exaggeration if that wasn't obvious) of boomers would have been the 'pyjama wearing, lager drinking' type you so regularly cite/villify. Many a person who wasn't fortunate to have their father in their life during their childhood, for one reason or another, turned out just fine, and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

Tenants are not allowed and have no access to the roof of a flat complex. The council had to get their hoist in to do it. The council are our landlords and are expected to fix faults - it’s in the tenancy agreement.

And if you do fix anything yourself,.the Council will never fix it again for it. Reference? My own home where we had to get replacement taps for the kitchen sink as we were waiting 4 months at that point for the council to come out and do it. When they finally came out, 6 months after the initial request, the plumber saw that we replaced the taps and said "they're not council taps, not touching those and I'll be filing a report to say you replaced them, bye."

One of the main reasons council houses might not be in as great nick as private owner houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Tenants are not allowed to fix pipes or do any repairs . There's a council maintenance dept to do that.
    The cost of the house is irrelevant, I can understand someone rejecting a house in portmarnock if all her family and friends live in dublin 15.
    People have a choice of 3 area,s to pick when filling in the form to get on the housing list For example city centre, finglas, coolock.

Kamu wrote: »
    And if you do fix anything yourself,.the Council will never fix it again for it. Reference? My own home where we had to get replacement taps for the kitchen sink as we were waiting 4 months at that point for the council to come out and do it. When they finally came out, 6 months after the initial request, the plumber saw that we replaced the taps and said "they're not council taps, not touching those and I'll be filing a report to say you replaced them, bye."

One of the main reasons council houses might not be in as great nick as private owner houses.

Because it's an insurance issue then. If they alter taps that were installed by the tenants and they leaked causing damage then the council is liable

Because it's an insurance issue then. If they alter taps that were installed by the tenants and they leaked causing damage then the council is liable

True, however the plumber changed his mind when he picked up a brown envelope beside our sink.

Pretty sure he didn't care about insurance then.

True, however the plumber changed his mind when he picked up a brown envelope beside our sink.

Pretty sure he didn't care about insurance then.

Pull the other one.

Pull the other one.

I wish I was, truly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

MFPM wrote: »
    The primary issue with housing in Ireland is that there is an insufficient number of affordable/social housing until that is addressed this crisis will continue, moving Granny and Grandad from their house will have a negligible effect, if some people voluntarily move from their house of course it can be considered but not forced.

Actually I would say the primary issue with housing in Ireland is that people are obsessed with using it as a source of income or as additional income, or as a pension income, and also that we believethat rising prices are a huge indicator that the economy is doing really well, and that falling or stable prices are a very.bad.thing.

We seem to believe we can all become millionaires -that we are entitled to become wealthy - by owning land or property.

Until we lose that mindset, we will find it very hard to solve any of our housing problems.

• Advertisement

thomas 123 wrote: »
    I was not given a Susi college grant because my father earned 100-200 over the threshold. Students from “disadvantaged areas/backgrounds” are given every assistance they can apply for.

Nobody is denied primary or secondary education.

Parenting or lack of it in this case does not equal education opportunities.

While I agree nobody is denied an education by the state there are children who are denied it but their parents - some who have no value in education. Some parents couldn’t give a hoot if their kids go to school - don’t show up for parent teacher meetings etc. These kids definitely won’t make it to college if they even make it to their leaving cert - this is down to lack of proper parenting

The council won’t touch anything you’ve amended yourself. They also won’t do repairs if you are in arrears unless you are on an agreement with them to pay it back.

The council won’t touch anything you’ve amended yourself. They also won’t do repairs if you are in arrears unless you are on an agreement with them to pay it back.

The way it should be however tenants will not agree to pay rent/arrears until the maintenance section resolve the problem. Its a catch 22

I wish I was, truly.

Well if was true then he should of been reported. That is gross misconduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Poor people? Are you for real? These bastards don't want to work and ridicule the people that do. I've heard them say this first hand plus they have more disposable income than a lot of people who work the daily grind. So they can fcuk themselves along with those crooks in Dail Eireann.

Its a country run by scum for scum and the only benefactors are those up the top and at the "bottom"

Good point about " poor" here, my foreign dad always laughed when he heard the term poor being used in ireland!

Well if was true then he should of been reported. That is gross misconduct.

I'm not sure if you're aware of the nixxer culture that was prevalent until the recession? (Perhaps even to this day, I'm not too sure, as this was about 10 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

riclad wrote: »
    I can understand someone rejecting a house in portmarnock if all her family and friends live in dublin 15.

That's a 20 minute drive away. It's hardly the back of beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

I don't know if I believe it or not but why the hell would we build social housing in portmarnock.

Because North Dublin is incredibly under developed in terms of housing

That's a 20 minute drive away. It's hardly the back of beyond.

and the funny thing is, somebody who grew up in portmarnock who works likely is now living in drogheda or Ashbourne because they couldn't afford portmarnock. Living next to your extended family your whole life is a luxury reserved for farmers kids lucky enough to have land or the very bottom rungs of society.

• Advertisement

If I'm not mistaken, you can reject up to two times with no penalty (besides waiting for a second option) but if you reject a third time without a valid reason, you go back to the end of the list.

We're all aware of the stupid reasons some people have given, but most rejections are genuine as far as I've experienced.

Advertisement