Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine rejecting a 600k house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Portmarnock or Baldoyle....Rock meet Hard Place....

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Faith+1 wrote: »
    You pay as much as your sisters morgage on a differential rent with your Local Authority? Complete tripe.

Why is it complete tripe - my sister bought her house in 1997 - I never said she was paying a €2000 mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Why are we housing unemployed people in Dublin, no problem with social housing but if your unemployed you should be housed down the country where space isin't at a premium. I don't buy the close to family argument either you have all day to travel and see them if you are unemployed.

Moving unemployed people away from the area they are most likely to get employment doesn’t sound like a great plan.

salmocab wrote: »
    Moving unemployed people away from the area they are most likely to get employment doesn’t sound like a great plan.

Yeah...tons of workers all queueing up in Summerhill and Sherriff St. I see them every morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

salmocab wrote: »

but as we've demonstrated many never get employment. Id go as far as to say by the age of 15 you can tell if their kids are even going to be employed ever or not, which is incredibly sad.

if social housing estates were only full of those who worked and just couldn't afford their own house, I doubt the social problems or our complaints would manifest in any way true. The issue we have is the pyjamas and lager never works are hiding behind these good working class people, ruining estates, making putting an address on a CV worse, taking good kids down a bad path.

If we were honest with ourselves as a society and said there are two kinds of people in social housing, and the bad ones only serve to make life worse for the good ones and lead the good kids to become bad adults.

Segregating those two groups and putting the bad eggs in a far spread out, low density manor is the only way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Sinus pain wrote: »
    Why is it complete tripe - my sister bought her house in 1997 - I never said she was paying a €2000 mortgage

Well that could make sense. So you must be on one of the higher weekly rates based on income. The most I ever seen was over €200 pw but that was a rariety, the average weekly rent us around the 60-70 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

This thread is so interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Yeah...tons of workers all queueing up in Summerhill and Sherriff St. I see them every morning....

Not sure I follow your point, loads of my neighbours are council tenants and none of them are unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

Dude89 wrote: »
    Imagine being gullible enough to believe the op 600k hahaha

Jaysus dude, you better not read about this in dundrum! Not to worry I'm pretty sure it was an April fools thing!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/irish/council-pays-up-to-3000-a-month-to-rent-plush-flats-off-cuckoo-fund-38740107.html

Well that could make sense. So you must be on one of the higher weekly rates based on income. The most I ever seen was over €200 pw but that was a rariety, the average weekly rent us around the 60-70 mark.

I have two children working as well as a husband working and recently got a good job. Kids are already saving for their own homes! Just wAnted to show the other side of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Permanently unemployed people in Dublin who arent making decent efforts to get work should me relocated to council housing in Roscommon /leitrim/longford where cost of housing is cheaper, this would free up housing for those willing to work and contribute .

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Permanently unemployed people in Dublin who arent making decent efforts to get work should me relocated to council housing in Roscommon /leitrim/longford where cost of housing is cheaper, this would free up housing for those willing to work and contribute .

Calm down Kim Jong Un.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭MFPM

Go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

But that's not fair on people living in rural Ireland who have their own home grown problems and less garda etc.

They really should take the forever out of social housing and have regular reviews, downsizing where appropriate.

A couple living alone, for example, after having their 4 kids move out, do not need a 4 bed, and it should be given to a family of a more appropriate size. It's being very poorly utilised at present.

Or charge extra rent for each unused bedroom.

but as we've demonstrated many never get employment. Id go as far as to say by the age of 15 you can tell if their kids are even going to be employed ever or not, which is incredibly sad.

if social housing estates were only full of those who worked and just couldn't afford their own house, I doubt the social problems or our complaints would manifest in any way true. The issue we have is the pyjamas and lager never works are hiding behind these good working class people, ruining estates, making putting an address on a CV worse, taking good kids down a bad path.

If we were honest with ourselves as a society and said there are two kinds of people in social housing, and the bad ones only serve to make life worse for the good ones and lead the good kids to become bad adults.

Segregating those two groups and putting the bad eggs in a far spread out, low density manor is the only way.

Oh look Leo Varadkar's popped in to chat. Apparently the problems people face are solely down to them, systemic inequality has nothing to do with it....

But that's not fair on people living in rural Ireland who have their own home grown problems and less garda etc.

They really should take the forever out of social housing and have regular reviews, downsizing where appropriate.

A couple living alone, for example, after having their 4 kids move out, do not need a 4 bed, and it should be given to a family of a more appropriate size. It's being very poorly utilised at present.

OR build more social houses...why blame people for the failure of the state?

MFPM wrote: »
    Oh look Leo Varadkar's popped in to chat. Apparently the problems people face are solely down to them, systemic inequality has nothing to do with it....

You missed his point entirely?

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    You missed his point entirely?

No, I haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How is it blaming people?

How is it blaming people?

The primary issue with housing in Ireland is that there is an insufficient number of affordable/social housing until that is addressed this crisis will continue, moving Granny and Grandad from their house will have a negligible effect, if some people voluntarily move from their house of course it can be considered but not forced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

More, more, more! What could possibly go wrong!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-banks-debt-paschal-donohoe-13187329.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjI8cCjz_DqAhUNUxUIHUGtAWQQFjAMegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1_UCiVzdRg_94_feGW2jIl&ampcf=1

Ireland is the THIRD most indebted country in the developed world with €201 billion mountain of debt
    The debt equates to every man, woman and child in Ireland owing €42,000

I have two children working as well as a husband working and recently got a good job. Kids are already saving for their own homes! Just wAnted to show the other side of it

Not in a million years do I look down on somebody in social housing. I just think the system is very unfair for hardworking people to get some sort of accomdation for themselves. It's a great country if you want to do fcuk all and blame the gobermint for only having a 3 bed when you want a 5.

Of course if you say anything you're worse than Hitler.

I know of a lady. She lived in a three bedroom house with her mother her sister and her son. Her sister moved out. Her son was killed in a road accident and it was her and her mother left in the house. The mother fell down the stairs and was killed. This woman has had so much tragedy imagine on top of all that removing her from her home. The woman lives on her nerves.
    While I totally understand the waste - this woman has put a lot of money into her home over the years- a new kitchen and new bathroom flooring etc.
    The council would come in and rip that all out - close up the house for a number of months to do that as well. Replace everything in the house (usually while making a balls of it) the place they would move her into would have had the same done to it - ie when the previous tenant had moved out everything would have been ripped out of it and replaced.
    I do however think that the council should ask people if they would be interested in downsizing- I’m sure there are lots of people who would be but don’t know how to go about it or haven’t thought about it but might consider it if they were asked. It would be a good idea for the council to write to people to ask if they voluntarily wanted to downsize and work from there

Not in a million years do I look down on somebody in social housing. I just think the system is very unfair for hardworking people to get some sort of accomdation for themselves. It's a great country if you want to do fcuk all and blame the gobermint for only having a 3 bed when you want a 5.

Of course if you say anything you're worse than Hitler.
    I do agree - there are some who will never work - it’s 1000% down to lack of education and not aspiring to be anything better than being on the labour. I do know schools in the area are working to increase school completion and I see majority of young people who live in my complex going out to work every day - but not always to high paying jobs which is unfortunate

I do agree - there are some who will never work - it’s 1000% down to lack of education and not aspiring to be anything better than being on the labour. I do know schools in the area are working to increase school completion and I see majority of young people who live in my complex going out to work every day - but not always to high paying jobs which is unfortunate

Couldn't agree more. You'd be blue in the face talking about the system and nothing will change. As soon as a few home truths are delivered to Mr and Mrs lazy bastard you have every do gooder in the Country defending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I was not given a Susi college grant because my father earned 100-200 over the threshold. Students from “disadvantaged areas/backgrounds” are given every assistance they can apply for.

Nobody is denied primary or secondary education.

Parenting or lack of it in this case does not equal education opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

a lack of fathers around has a hell of a lot more to do with things than almost any other factor. Positive male role models are seriously lacking in poor communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Coybig_ wrote: »
    I believe Fingal County Council are using CBL by now which makes this story quite doubtful.

What's CBL??

Bobtheman wrote: »
    What's CBL??

Crazy Bonuses for Layabouts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

a lack of fathers around has a hell of a lot more to do with things than almost any other factor. Positive male role models are seriously lacking in poor communities.

The sexual revolution has its downsides. Its easier for guys to leave and women are hooking up with some bad apples. However even in the middle classes you will get **** who don't pay child support.

Advertisement