Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine rejecting a 600k house

Options
167891012»

Comments

christy c wrote: »
    Its very logical as I said, Ireland was accused of illegality, and decided to appeal. How much our defecit is or how much cash Apple have is irrelevant, given our current dependence on FDI and that the institutions of the state did not believe it was owed.

I guess we will agree to disagree on what is prudent or logical so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Why do i have to pay tax,so the government can fight legal cases for billion dollar corporations,apple have enough money,let them.fight it

This deosnt seem right way to run a country to me anyway

The EU had brought a case that Ireland had provided state aid to Apple. We were not defending Aplles interests, but Irelands application of its tax base, which if we had lost, would have found us in breach of EU regulations for over 29 years...and ya wanna bet there would be a huge fine slapped on us if so, far in excess of the millions spent "so the government can fight legal cases for billion dollar corporations"

And thats if...IF...the other EU countries then didnt demand Apples sales be taxed in their "point of sale" countries rather than Ireland. It would not be a case of "Oh, hey, guess we just tax them €14b and spend that then!", that pot would dry up fast as Germany and France take their cut, and we would be left with only the tax on sales in Ireland which would only be a couple million euro.

Or the chance that EU could force through measures to regulate Ireland's tax base ie they would start setting our tax rates and partially control our finances.

Lastly, I hope you dont avail of any tax credits when you do pay your taxes, seeing as that's tax avoidance.....and we all know how much you hate that!

Advertisement