Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Is Kilbane gone now? Haven't heard him in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Ahwell

pauldoo wrote: »
    Is Kilbane gone now? Haven't heard him in a while

He's Living in Canada now. Was on last week for the first time in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

The goodwill couldn’t last. Enthused by a great paper review, I listened to part of the Saturday panel today and was met with the most inane (not insane, but not far off), “revert to type”, conformist garbage that I’ve been conditioned to expect whenever I switch this show on. John Duggan playing the role of chief whip this time, the dilemma at hand was the not insignificant issue of Covid causing some midlands GAA fixtures to be called off. Cue the usually expected banal comments along the lines of “shur isn’t the public health more important than any of us” and “haven’t the GAA done a great job” [of wetting it’s own bed - yes it has]. I admittedly turned this sh1te off but no individual, up to the half hour mark at least, had the stones to at least play devil’s advocate on the seemingly random cancellation of scheduled games on a whim, all towing the party line like good little boys. Why can’t these decisions be questioned? Why, at the drop of a hat, can a chain reaction of game cancellations occur off the back of singular personal reports of somebody with the sniffles feeling a little off on match day? That is literally all it takes to upend the season whether the individual’s symptoms are related to Covid or not. This is insane because once we get to flu season, even more games are likely to be called off due to false positive reports of people displaying Covid-like symptoms when their illness may not even be Covid-related! The contributors did opine that the likelihood of inter county games taking place this year seems low and on this farcical capitulation by the GAA, fully endorsed by an indoctrinated media, I can’t say I disagree. You can kiss GAA goodbye for a few years at this rate, never mind the 2020 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Ahwell wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being too harsh on Kilbane, but I was annoyed at the time when Dan lost the gig.

You’re not, he’s sh*t compared to Dan in terms of insight and analysis. Kilbane and that Mayo fanfare stuff is painful.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    The goodwill couldn’t last. Enthused by a great paper review, I listened to part of the Saturday panel today and was met with the most inane (not insane, but not far off), “revert to type”, conformist garbage that I’ve been conditioned to expect whenever I switch this show on. John Duggan playing the role of chief whip this time, the dilemma at hand was the not insignificant issue of Covid causing some midlands GAA fixtures to be called off. Cue the usually expected banal comments along the lines of “shur isn’t the public health more important than any of us” and “haven’t the GAA done a great job” [of wetting it’s own bed - yes it has]. I admittedly turned this sh1te off but no individual, up to the half hour mark at least, had the stones to at least play devil’s advocate on the seemingly random cancellation of scheduled games on a whim, all towing the party line like good little boys. Why can’t these decisions be questioned? Why, at the drop of a hat, can a chain reaction of game cancellations occur off the back of singular personal reports of somebody with the sniffles feeling a little off on match day? That is literally all it takes to upend the season whether the individual’s symptoms are related to Covid or not. This is insane because once we get to flu season, even more games are likely to be called off due to false positive reports of people displaying Covid-like symptoms when their illness may not even be Covid-related! The contributors did opine that the likelihood of inter county games taking place this year seems low and on this farcical capitulation by the GAA, fully endorsed by an indoctrinated media, I can’t say I disagree. You can kiss GAA goodbye for a few years at this rate, never mind the 2020 season.

Jaysus lad. You’re worse than me with the aul anger issues. The worlds a f*ckef up place at the moment and it’s a lot of guess work...I don’t trust any of it but I certainly have no control over it so in terms of action getting on this sh*t site and writing that muck is fairly pointless, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Don't think any show can give you what you seem to be looking for.

You are equally as miserable, moany and argumentative as that fella. Maybe we should get a threesome going? That said, I am in complete agreement with you on that post.

Jaysus lad. You’re worse than me with the aul anger issues. The worlds a f*ckef up place at the moment and it’s a lot of guess work...I don’t trust any of it but I certainly have no control over it so in terms of action getting on this sh*t site and writing that muck is fairly pointless, no?

Always pointless but somewhat cathartic

What I’m looking for is not what you think. A balanced argument wouldn’t have gone amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Bahaaaa :pac: You could have been talking about me tbh. I find that there are few radio personalities that I can stomach these days.

I think Kilbane going to Canada has been a major boon for the show all the same. Damien Delaney just talks about the football and we have none of the emotional rollercoaster that comes with being Kevin Kilbane. And I can always listen to Dan McDonnell without being p1ssed off with him, which is something that few human beings have achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Woeful paper review contributors on today. Disappointing. Used the enjoy this segment and tuned in frequently, but the quality has been in decline for quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Woeful paper review contributors on today. Disappointing. Used the enjoy this segment and tuned in frequently, but the quality has been in decline for quite a while now.

Only heard it briefly in the car, was that Hector Ó hEochagáin on?

redbuck wrote: »
    Only heard it briefly in the car, was that Hector Ó hEochagáin on?

Unfortunately it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it was.

Did they give a reason for having him on?

I'm not sure what his sports credentials are.

redbuck wrote: »
    Did they give a reason for having him on?

I'm not sure what his sports credentials are.

He's a big horse racing fan and is well able to review stories and have an opinion and is a good communicator.

More than enough to be on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Hector was on it before and lets just say he hasn't got any better. Absolute drivel.

Hector was on it before and lets just say he hasn't got any better. Absolute drivel.

I had assumed the last time was a once off, that they couldn't find anyone at short notice and he was the only one available. Worrying that he may become a regular.

was that Gary Murphy on about the golf? the sound quality of some the contributors on Off The Ball are shocking. Even their own presenters with whatever dodgy broadband skype connection they are using, to save a few quid? But this was at a whole new level. Sounded like he was on a Nokia 2310 with a sock over it while sitting at the bottom of the deep end of a swimming pool.

I like Joe Molloy as a presenter and think hes a cut above the rest, very good at what he does but jesus, he should curb his enthusiasm when talking about golf. Makes him look less capable or less interested in other areas of sport, which is good at.

The problem with having golf heads and horse heads on is the narrow number of topics they can talk about. I suspect Hector is different but for the most part, a golf head knows only golf and a horse head speaks only “horse”. If all you’ve got is a driver, everything looks like a tee’d up ball or something to that effect......

Had to turn off the show yesterday. The first story they focused on - The Champions League? United in Europa League? No, A girl who was a referee in the UK, in spite of being about a million minorities. Now, she sounds like a great girl, and I wish her only the best. But why is this story the head of the whole show? I guess the highlight was when Joe pointed out "She doesn't mention it in the story, but I'd say she had to deal with a lot of racist abuse". I mean what sort of journalism is this? They are ASSUMING that she has been racially abused so that they can get twenty minutes of virtue signalling out of it. Reminds me of the time when they had John Barnes on and they did their best to try to convince him that the racist chants that he received affected him, in spite of his protests to the contrary.

It is a sickness in the modern media, almost a competition with every presenter trying to be more virtuous than the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Had to turn off the show yesterday. The first story they focused on - The Champions League? United in Europa League? No, A girl who was a referee in the UK, in spite of being about a million minorities. Now, she sounds like a great girl, and I wish her only the best. But why is this story the head of the whole show? I guess the highlight was when Joe pointed out "She doesn't mention it in the story, but I'd say she had to deal with a lot of racist abuse". I mean what sort of journalism is this? They are ASSUMING that she has been racially abused so that they can get twenty minutes of virtue signalling out of it. Reminds me of the time when they had John Barnes on and they did their best to try to convince him that the racist chants that he received affected him, in spite of his protests to the contrary.

It is a sickness in the modern media, almost a competition with every presenter trying to be more virtuous than the next.

It’s a bad case of woke-itis I’m afraid !

It's a newspaper review not the news so the most important or biggest story will not lead the broadcast like it normally would. The most interesting one will. Joe clearly thought this was the most interesting human interest story in the papers. A 26 year old female muslim wearing a headdress while refereeing men's football is a pretty unusual story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Will OTB have the balls to call out NPHET for behind closed doors sporting events from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

BPKS wrote: »
    Will OTB have the balls to call out NPHET for behind closed doors sporting events from now on.

They’ve been deballed long ago ! Cora Staunton is minding them in her purse

Aren’t OTB and their guests amongst the most zealous of lockdown advocates in the Irish media? They love all the virtue-signalling representations of this grim time such as masks, gloves, Zoom, working from home, deserted pubs and, most of all, empty stadiums. Why would they call NPHET out for something that they are fully in support of?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Aren’t OTB and their guests amongst the most zealous of lockdown advocates in the Irish media? They love all the virtue-signalling representations of this grim time such as masks, gloves, Zoom, working from home, deserted pubs and, most of all, empty stadiums. Why would they call NPHET out for something that they are fully in support of?

As far as I remember they weren't so zealous when it came to calling out the Cheltenham festival going ahead. After that they lost all credibility.

Both Richie and Joe were very critical of the new sanctions in the newsround this evening and called out many of the hypocrisies in it.

Aidric wrote: »
    As far as I remember they weren't so zealous when it came to calling out the Cheltenham festival going ahead. After that they lost all credibility.

What do you think they should have done, given that the had a contract in place to promote it?

What do you think they should have done, given that the had a contract in place to promote it?

I'm not sure that's the right question.

I think the Cheltenham episode proved that the show has lost most of its journalistic integrity and credibility and is now just an entertainment show, which is also fine.

• Advertisement

Ah come on. You think that it was acceptable that they suspended their moralising while the money was rolling in, and then almost as soon as it was over they had Ciara Kelly in to tell us how bad an idea it was that it went ahead.

It's a bit like the fox eating all the occupants of the henhouse and then giving out to the farmer for having not better protected it. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement