Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

ofcork wrote: »
    Not bad numbers more than the honda civic!

Civic deserves its own episode of "Botched"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

vandriver wrote: »
    There's a few as taxis .

Yes but many are Jap imports of 2013/4 and so on from what I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw 2 today on a half hour drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I've driven one and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The interior is still very frumpy though isn't it? I didn't like it when I took it for a spin anyway, seems like it's keeping like the Camry from years ago anyway.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    The interior is still very frumpy though isn't it? I didn't like it when I took it for a spin anyway, seems like it's keeping like the Camry from years ago anyway.

I liked the interior, clear and well laid out and felt like it'll last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Money is strong for them I felt and Toyota finance is not as competitive as the likes of VW. So you really have to want one to actually pull the trigger I think. Plus if you're in the Toyota Saloon market, The Corrolla probably suits most buyers needs, much cheaper and probably better looking IMO

GavMan wrote: »
    Money is strong for them I felt and Toyota finance is not as competitive as the likes of VW. So you really have to want one to actually pull the trigger I think. Plus if you're in the Toyota Saloon market, The Corrolla probably suits most buyers needs, much cheaper and probably better looking IMO

It's not as big as my Avensis inside. While I wouldn't rule it out it won't be my first choice to replace the Avensis when the time comes. You're spot on about Toyota financing, it's not great.

Is it seriously not as roomy as the avensis id be surprised as it looks a bigger car.

254 so far this year,

https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

Corolla top of the list....... surprised to see that tbh, the Corolla is by no means cheap.

Twice as many Corolla sold as Octavia.

• Advertisement

Corolla is as expensive if not more than the mk3 avensis when it came out,anything hybrid seems to be dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

254 so far this year,

https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

It's actually showing as 321 now as they've updated the stats to include July sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Worth noting that prices are gone up across the board not just Hybrids.

Entry level Golf/Focus are around 26 k now.

Superminis creeping up in price towards 19/20 k.

Mk 3 Avensis was launched 11 years ago and excluding rear legroom is a much inferior car to a new Corolla.

Camry is a more upmarket offering then an 09 Avensis and while dearer does have advantages....

1) high standard spec - likely comparable to a Sol on the Avensis.

2) Auto as standard - extra on the Avensis.

3) a more attractive exterior and interior.

4) 2.5 engine with just over 200 bhp.

Vs a 1.6 manual Avensis in 09 and of course 11 years of inflation

ofcork wrote: »
    Is it seriously not as roomy as the avensis id be surprised as it looks a bigger car.

Nope it's not.

Interior space is narrower and shorter and the boot isn't nearly as big.

It's not a bad car at all but my Avensis feels far better inside. Mine us a very high spec (As Avensis go) and it feels a lot more substantial.

I don't think its fair to compare a bog basic 09 to a new Camry, other than them being saloons there little to compare apart from them both being big soft saloons.

Surprising tbh maybe the batteries are taking up space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Augeo wrote: »
    Corolla top of the list....... surprised to see that tbh, the Corolla is by no means cheap.

Twice as many Corolla sold as Octavia.

New Octavia is seems to be delayed, wouldn't be shelling out on the outgoing model at this stage in it's lifecycle without a significant discount.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Nope it's not.

Interior space is narrower and shorter and the boot isn't nearly as big.

It's not a bad car at all but my Avensis feels far better inside. Mine us a very high spec (As Avensis go) and it feels a lot more substantial. .............

Are you going off actual dimensions ?

Camry boot is 524l and Toyota Avensis saloon (2015-2018) has a 509-litre boot according to carbuyer.co.uk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

New Octavia is seems to be delayed, wouldn't be shelling out on the outgoing model at this stage in it's lifecycle without a significant discount.

Yep. Not coming til September and who’s gonna buy one then.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Worth noting that prices are gone up across the board not just Hybrids.

Entry level Golf/Focus are around 26 k now.

Superminis creeping up in price towards 19/20 k.

Mk 3 Avensis was launched 11 years ago and excluding rear legroom is a much inferior car to a new Corolla.

Camry is a more upmarket offering then an 09 Avensis and while dearer does have advantages....

1) high standard spec - likely comparable to a Sol on the Avensis.

2) Auto as standard - extra on the Avensis.

3) a more attractive exterior and interior.

4) 2.5 engine with just over 200 bhp.

Vs a 1.6 manual Avensis in 09 and of course 11 years of inflation

Just on the Corolla vs Avensis space argument. The rear headroom in the new Corolla is very tight in comparison.

Augeo wrote: »
    Are you going off actual dimensions ?

Camry boot is 524l and Toyota Avensis saloon (2015-2018) has a 509-litre boot according to carbuyer.co.uk :)

Sorry I'm talking about the Avensis vs. The current Corolla. Corolla is 471 litres and the rear seats don't fold.

• Advertisement

Corolla is pretty much the same size as the previous model making it smaller than the avensis so if you want more space it would have to be the camry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yep. Not coming til September and who’s gonna buy one then.

I’ve a 202 Combi sitting outside the door - old model. They are heavily spec’d in Soleil with full LED headlights, rear camera, half leather, folding mirrors, auto lights plus you’d get over 3500 discount. New model is same platform, engine and gearbox, will be min 3k dearer marching spec and discount will be 1500ish. About 23k for a 1.0 hatch currently

I know yeah. I was in the updated Soleil that seems to have bigger wheels and the self dimming mirror which I don’t think they had a few months ago.

You could say nearly all VW stuff is on the MQB platform, but the new model will bring some major updates and improvements to the outgoing Octavia which out nearly 8 years.

Not to be putting a downer on your own car or anything! They’re quite good value for money at the moment. The Soleil has some nice improvements over my Elegance model especially the infotainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Casati wrote: »
    will be min 3k dearer marching spec and discount will be 1500ish. About 23k for a 1.0 hatch currently

Believed to start at just under €29k

I love my Octavia that I bought new in 2015 but is that price a little excessive? Unless there's a lot included in terms of engine and spec that's a huge jump on what the entry level MK3 cost. What will the new RS cost?!

And we said the corolla was expensive!!

That’s €29k for a 2.0 TDI though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

FGR wrote: »
    Believed to start at just under €29k

I love my Octavia that I bought new in 2015 but is that price a little excessive? Unless there's a lot included in terms of engine and spec that's a huge jump on what the entry level MK3 cost. What will the new RS cost?!

Guessing well over 40k, hybrid due first, petrol and diesels later.
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-skoda-octavia-vrs-petrol-and-diesel-versions-detailed
    Loooks very smart from the back (although reminds me of a Volvo S60), I'm still not entirely sold on that new front grille.

skoda-octavia-vrs-iv-hybrid-hatchback-white-front-1.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&fit=clip&ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=60&w=1920

skoda-octavia-vrs-iv-hybrid-hatchback-white-rear-1.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&fit=clip&ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=60&w=1920

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s €29k for a 2.0 TDI though.

Isn't that 2 litre the equivalent of what the 1.6 litre offering used to be? All diesels for that car are to be 2 litre at various tunes.

Loving the look of the new RS. The interior also looks incredible but I can't figure out whether those price hikes are justifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Never got the love for VW clones, VW died in 1992 when the stopped the MK2 Golf, ever thing since has been decomposed muck

• Advertisement

Never got the love for VW clones, VW died in 1992 when the stopped the MK2 Golf, ever thing since has been decomposed muck

The masses love them.

Advertisement