Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congratulations to Katie Taylor!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Well done, Katie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bobblehats wrote: »
    What a woman I am truly in awe.

I believe her to be the greatest irish sportsperson, that’s just my opinion.

She is head and shoulders over most of the names (Collins??? McTapper??? Ffs) that people throw out here as somehow her equal in sport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

She is head and shoulders over most of the names (Collins??? McTapper??? Ffs) that people throw out here as somehow her equal in sport

And did you stay up or?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

It was a very close fight either way and a win could have been well justified for either boxer, just depended on whether the judges were more impressed by constant less skilled forward action or more skilled back foot boxing (though Katie did get involved in a scrap quite a bit). Persoon finishing stronger made it look a bit more in her favour than it actually was overall. They could both count themselves unlucky to lose. It happens.

By the way, until yesterday I was never aware of a real Irish trailblazer and World Champ before Katie. The link won’t post for me but look for Deirdre Gogarty on Wikipedia and youtube etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm a big fan of Taylor and all she's done but in a professional boxing sense, her achievements pale in comparison to Steve Collins.

He bossed his division in what was the most competitive era of super-middle weight boxing. Until Persoon, Taylor hasn't faced a competitor that could ever stretch her because the division and competition is so limited.

Taylor's achievements are great, but your making yourself look silly when you talk down about a true boxing great like Steve Collins.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I'm a big fan of Taylor and all she's done but in a professional boxing sense, her achievements pale in comparison to Steve Collins.

He bossed his division in what was the most competitive era of super-middle weight boxing. Until Persoon, Taylor hasn't faced a competitor that could ever stretch her because the division and competition is so limited.

Taylor's achievements are great, but your making yourself look silly when you talk down about a true boxing great like Steve Collins.

Sure he didn't even stay up and watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

RasTa wrote: »
    Haven't seen the highlights yet but never seen her so busted up after a fight

https://twitter.com/BrianOD_News/status/1135045846209351680

Brian O'Donovan - 'undisputed' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Good lad yerself

Back to the bird watching or train spotting or whatever

This is a troll, back under your bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

...she's got zero charisma or personality which doesn't help her in the popularity stakes either.

Utter nonsense. Have you watched her docu 'Katie'? She may not flamboyant but she has tons of charisma and personality.
    JayZeus wrote: »
    Women shouldn't be boxing for men’s entertainment.

Yeah, cause women never watch female boxing I suppose, only men.

As I said last night in the boxing forum after the fight, I think she was edged out and lucky to get the decision but Katie has been on the end of a poor decision herself at the 2016 Olympics........... so as Frank Bruno would say, that's cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Head and shoulders over Collins?? I don't think so.

To suggest Collins achievements are less because he didn't unify the division is ridiculous, he fought McCallum and lost on a disputed split decision, same with Reggie Johnson. He then went on to beat Eubank twice and Benn. He chased the unification fight with Jones for years.

He might be an unlikable guy for what happened outside the ring but his achievements and the level he fought at are far higher than KT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kneemos wrote: »
    This fat bloke beat the incredibly fit looking black guy last night.

Conclusion.

Boxing is a racket.

https://news.sky.com/story/massive-shock-as-anthony-joshua-loses-heavyweight-titles-to-underdog-andy-ruiz-jr-11733281

I think you are confusing being toned and being fit.
    Bodybuilders are very toned but would struggle with doing a 5k. A person with a six pack and popping veins would be very dehydrated and struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Bobblehats wrote: »
    What a woman I am truly in awe.

I believe her to be the greatest irish sportsperson, that’s just my opinion.

You're opinion is wrong, just like people's racist and sexist opinions can be wrong.

Saying in my opinion doesn't make your claim valid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The close call has led to speculation about a rematch something which Katie Taylor says she’d be open to but added that she has other fights planned.

Second thoughts...?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2019/0602/1053046-katie-taylor/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

RoryMac wrote: »
    Head and shoulders over Collins?? I don't think so.

To suggest Collins achievements are less because he didn't unify the division is ridiculous, he fought McCallum and lost on a disputed split decision, same with Reggie Johnson. He then went on to beat Eubank twice and Benn. He chased the unification fight with Jones for years.

He might be an unlikable guy for what happened outside the ring but his achievements and the level he fought at are far higher than KT.

Collins was a great fighter, but his achievements don't match Katie Taylors. He never won an Olympic gold medal and never simultaneously held the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts, and was never an undisputed world champion by all boxing organisations, and has never lost a professional fight. Taylor also won five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships, gold six times at the European Championships, and gold five times at the European Union Championships.

On top of all this, she was a member of the Peamount United squad that won a treble, winning the Dublin Women's Soccer League, the DWSL Premier Cup and the FAI Women's Cup. She also represented the Republic of Ireland women's national football team at under–17, under–19 and senior levels. She scored four goals for the Republic of Ireland under–19s in a 2004 UEFA Women's Under-19 Championship qualifier against Macedonia.

She is one of Ireland's most phenomenal, dedicated, and humble athletes ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Nobelium wrote: »
    Collins was a great fighter, but his achievements don't match Katie Taylors. He never won an Olympic gold medal and never simultaneously held the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts.

Not sure if you're serious but KT fights against women and the pool of talent is much smaller. Collins fought in one of the toughest most talent packed divisions and had a very good record against them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

Collins was a great fighter, but his achievements don't match Katie Taylors. He never won an Olympic gold medal and never simultaneously held the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts, and was never an undisputed world champion by all boxing organisations. Taylor also won five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships, gold six times at the European Championships, and gold five times at the European Union Championships

You are joking or just extremely uneducated when it comes to boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Collins was a great fighter, but his achievements don't match Katie Taylors. He never won an Olympic gold medal and never simultaneously held the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts, and was never an undisputed world champion by all boxing organisations. Taylor also won five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships, gold six times at the European Championships, and gold five times at the European Union Championships.
    How many pro women are fighting at Katie’s weight v how many at Collins. Also how hard is Katie’s division hitting compared to Collins ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Greyfox wrote: »
    Well done Katie, a true legend! She's currently the greatest Irish person alive

:mad: My arse she is!

Vicky Phelan who blew the lid off the cervical check scandal and put herself through so much in order to try and make sure that other Irish women wouldn't have to go through what she did, is probably currently the greatest Irish person alive.

As was Emma Mhic Mhathuna and Laura Brennan, both of whom have sadly passed away.

This is a troll, back under your bridge.

Reported.

Not a troll

Just someone who recognises greatness and isn’t afraid of celebrating it.

I detest Irish begrudgery.

ted1 wrote: »
    How many pro women are fighting at Katie’s weight v how many at Collins. Also how hard is Katie’s division hitting compared to Collins ?

you might as well try and claim Collins didn't win at heavyweight

• Advertisement

Collins was a great fighter, but his achievements don't match Katie Taylors. He never won an Olympic gold medal and never simultaneously held the WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO belts, and was never an undisputed world champion by all boxing organisations, and has never lost a professional fight. Taylor also won five consecutive gold medals at the World Championships, gold six times at the European Championships, and gold five times at the European Union Championships.

On top of all this, she was a member of the Peamount United squad that won a treble, winning the Dublin Women's Soccer League, the DWSL Premier Cup and the FAI Women's Cup. She also represented the Republic of Ireland women's national football team at under–17, under–19 and senior levels. She scored four goals for the Republic of Ireland under–19s in a 2004 UEFA Women's Under-19 Championship qualifier against Macedonia.

She is one of Ireland's most phenomenal, dedicated, and humble athletes ever.

Thank you for taking the time of writing this-take note.

Ridiculous argument to say Collins is above her in the pantheon of Irish sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

No disrespect to local boy Conor he sure won the fame game but KT is the consummate professional with the warrior gene. You see it in her eyes, she is tough as nails her determination saw out yet another 10 rounds of a bruising encounter to unify all the world titles in her possession:

1559439268416_lc_galleryImage_Boxing_Katie_Taylor_v_Del.JPG

The greatest!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

Thank you for taking the time of writing this-take note.

Ridiculous argument to say Collins is above her in the pantheon of Irish sport.

How many boxers are in Katie's division?

:mad: My arse she is!

Vicky Phelan who blew the lid off the cervical check scandal and put herself through so much in order to try and make sure that other Irish women wouldn't have to go through what she did, is probably currently the greatest Irish person alive.

As was Emma Mhic Mhathuna and Laura Brennan, both of whom have sadly passed away.

The poster you quoted was quite clearly joking

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I get the impression that Katie Taylor was more blessed than the shrine at knock last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Reported.

Not a troll

Just someone who recognises greatness and isn’t afraid of celebrating it.

I detest Irish begrudgery.

Good lad again

Im not begrudging her anything, greatest woman boxer ever i said.
    Your saying she is the greatest irish sportsperson when she isnt even the greatest irish boxer.
    Good luck and god bless

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The reason there is so much begrudgery /deliberate disinterest in her, as one of Ireland most dedicated, professional and focused athletes ever, is a combination of her being a women, a devout christian, a real lady, and being so successful without being some vain self promoting sleazy "celebrity" scumbag. All these things seem to be an anathema to current society.

Or.........bear with me here.........most people are not interested in womens boxing. Its only been in the last 2 Olympics., it may build more momentum in the future, but it's a long way behind womens football for instance.
    Even attributing the **** about not liking her to men, where are the hoards of women followers?

The god **** is irritating, but no more so than any other person attributing their own hard work to some non existent entity. Spoiler folks, God didnt cure your cancer, the doctors did.

Interest in mens boxing is probably at a low point here too.

I think people are missing a very obvious factor here.
    Let's say for example we have a football player who is playing in division 3, is named best footballer in that division for 10 years in a row, highest goal scorer every year, wins multiple cups for the team practically single handed. He is not a better player than someone who plays his entire career in the premiership yet wins no titles or accolades.

I don't see how you can't see this is what people are saying about female boxing and male boxing. The skill it takes to get to the highest level in men's boxing is a lot higher than women's.
    John McEnroe came under fire for saying Serena Williams would not be in the top 100 players of all time if she was put in with the men's players.
    Williams practically confirmed this to be true. There is a vast difference and to dent that is absurd.
    Katie Taylor is without a doubt one of the best Irish boxers of all time. But certainly not the greatest Irish boxer of all time

.Charlo wrote: »
    You are joking or just extremely uneducated when it comes to boxing.

i suppose if you haven't any facts you can always try some personal attacks, and i'll happily step into the ring with you anytime

• Advertisement

Or.........bear with me here.........most people are not interested in womens boxing. Its only been in the last 2 Olympics., it may build more momentum in the future, but it's a long way behind womens football for instance.
    Even attributing the **** about not liking her to men, where are the hoards of women followers?

The god **** is irritating, but no more so than any other person attributing their own hard work to some non existent entity. Spoiler folks, God didnt cure your cancer, the doctors did.

Interest in mens boxing is probably at a low point here too.

"woman . . religion . . blah blah bhlah" . . . you've just proved the point

Advertisement