Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congratulations to Katie Taylor!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Berserker wrote:
    Strange to see all the celebs and media bods out praising her. Don't recall seeing that for the likes of Steve Collins when he was as his prime; an brilliant fighter.

Social Media or that didn't exist in 1995 tho. He got a fair amount of press coverage for his wins tho.
    Fair play to her; maybe she got lucky on the judges scorecard but there was only a round of difference which says how tight it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

JayZeus wrote: »
    Women shouldn't be boxing for men’s entertainment.

Yeah and women shouldn't be allowed drive or drink alcohol
    Would ya go away and Shiite with yourself!!! Greatest Irish person alive, what utter horse****e.

It's an amazing achievement and the fact that she's the opposite of McGregor makes her a superb ambassador of Ireland. We should show more pride and respect towards her as it's very rare these days for an Irish person to stand out on the world stage

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Berserker wrote: »
    Steve Collins did not get a fraction of the admiration that she gets. I've a lot of time for KT, fyi.

Collins never had a snowballs chance in hell of being Undisputed champ of his division

And like mctap very questionable lifestyle to add to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Couldn't happen to a nicer person. She is a role model to all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Her constant talk about God doesn't exactly help her popularity. She's not exactly doing any harm with it but it's understandably can turn people off , also she's got zero charisma or personality which doesn't help her in the popularity stakes either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Padraig-lovely guy and great golfer but golf is a niche sport here..

Whereas everyone is in to womens boxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,972 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yeah and women shouldn't be allowed drive or drink alcohol

It's an amazing achievement and the fact that she's the opposite of McGregor makes her a superb ambassador of Ireland. We should show more pride and respect towards her as it's very rare these days for an Irish person to stand out on the world stage

100%, she comes across as a very level headed, hard working and humble person. A perfect ambassador for her sport and country.

Her constant talk about God doesn't exactly help her popularity. She's not exactly doing any harm with it but it's understandably can turn people off , also she's got zero charisma or personality which doesn't help her in the popularity stakes either.

More snide begrudgery.

Ireland- never change!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Her faith is important to her, so I've no problem with that. I think she's one of the most popular people in the country. Name a person who's more popular than her?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Padraig-lovely guy and great golfer but golf is a niche sport here. He did get a lot of acclaim on his wins. More than KT gets.

Golf isn't a niche sport by any make or measure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Berserker wrote: »
    Her faith is important to her, so I've no problem with that. I think she's one of the most popular people in the country. Name a person who's more popular than her?

She is admired and everything but I was just pointing out that her talk about god can turn some people (not all) off her.

One of the posters seems to think everyone in the country she be in love with her, I;m just point out why some people aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

No matter how you view the result of the fight, there is enough controversy around it to ensure that a rematch must happen to validate Katie as the undisputed champion in the division.
    When you promoter says it could have went either way, then that is essentially saying he thought she had lost it. Whether he will want to risk it now with Joshua losing is another thing, but Katie has to take a rematch to put any issues here to bed.
    From watching all the pundits reacting the overwhelming majority have said that Delphine was robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,972 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No problem with a rematch, let it happen, but let’s enjoy the success of KT

KT no doubt will win the rematch so bring it on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

Collins was a two weight world champion and made 7 successful defences of the super middleweight belt. His lifestyle has nothing to do with it, not everybody has to or wants be a role model. He chased the Roy Jones fight but Jones wanted nothing to do with him.

Fair play to Katie but women's boxing is garbage.

.Charlo wrote: »
    Collins was a two weight world champion and made 7 successful defences of the super middleweight belt. His lifestyle has nothing to do with it, not everybody has to or wants be a role model. He chased the Roy Jones fight but Jones wanted nothing to do with him.

Fair play to Katie but women's boxing is garbage.

Sorry but most ppl take personality and lifestyle into account when judging these ppl

A quick google shows he most def was/is NOT a role model for anyone

Same as his bro rod. Big man with a big mouth

Anyway. This thread is about KT the undisputed champion of her division

Something Collins never had the talent to achieve in his division.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Enough of the ridiculous praise for katie, she is not near the greatest irish athletes.
    Call it for what she is/was and thats probably pound for pound the greatest woman boxer there ever was, the political correctness of it all is killing me.
    Women cannot be compared to men for obvious reasons and im not trolling here, men are just better at sport and there is far more strength in depth in mens divisions of every sport.
    Katie ran into the best boxer she ever faced last night and she looked like an amateur to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Enough of the ridiculous praise for katie, she is not near the greatest irish athletes.
    Call it for what she is/was and thats probably pound for pound the greatest woman boxer there ever was, the political correctness of it all is killing me.
    Women cannot be compared to men for obvious reasons and im not trolling here, men are just better at sport and there is far more strength in depth in mens divisions of every sport.
    Katie ran into the best boxer she ever faced last night and she looked like an amateur to be honest.

She looked like an amateur ?
    Back to bird watching for you or whatever it is you are interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Why do irish people always have to diss and down great achievements by other Irish people?

Post colonial low self worth syndrome or something more basic like begrudgery ?

Collins -Collins was and is a joke and a has been

Needed a feckin hypnotist to get him over the line against Eubanks

As for McTapper there’s a reason why ppl shun him over the years.

You seem quite good at this yourself, no?

Still catching up on rest of thread, your excelling at it.
    Collins never had a snowballs chance in hell of being Undisputed champ of his division

And like mctap very questionable lifestyle to add to it.
    More snide begrudgery.

Ireland- never change!!

Do you read or think about what you posting?

She is an Olympic gold medalist; of course she is one of the best Irish athletes. We haven't exactly got a Micheal Phelps or Roger Federer or a Muhammad Ali in Ireland that we can undoubtedly claim is a legit all time great athlete sorry to be brutally honest with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Let’s be honest she is a great Irish sportsperson in a small number sport . Much easier win medals in women’s boxing then running etc . I would guess for every 1 woman boxer there would be hundreds of 5 and 10 k runners . Most Irish people I know would rate Sonia O Sullivan as a lot better sportsperson then Katie Taylor . But each to there own and good luck to her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

What a woman I am truly in awe.

I believe her to be the greatest irish sportsperson, that’s just my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

She's constantly mentioned in the mainstream media she's by far the biggest female sports star this country has produced.

no, she only gets a passing mention / footnotes, I have to watch international media to follow her career properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

If it was “Kay T Taylor” a male boxer there would’ve been :

Huge street parties in every town and village where ppl who know nothing about boxing stayed up til 4 am drinking to “take in” history

Huge drinking sessions all day and night yesterday so that ppl could fully “take part” in the National glory

Wall to wall media coverage by Orrr Teee EEEE

National holiday declared once he won

Michael d and Leo Veruca over there and bring back the hero on the state jet for a huge party tomorr in Dublin city centre -scenes reminiscent of the Italia 90 homecoming.

All if it was a man and not a woman boxer.

Men's sport is more popular than womens. Stop the presses.

Did you stay up and watch it?

Nobelium wrote: »
    no, she only gets a passing metion / footnotes, I have to watch international media to follow her career properly.

Her father has probably gotten more press the last few years tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

The reason there is so much begrudgery /deliberate disinterest in her, as one of Ireland most dedicated, professional and focused athletes ever, is a combination of her being a women, a devout christian, a real lady, and being so successful without being some vain self promoting sleazy "celebrity" scumbag. All these things seem to be an anathema to current society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

She looked like an amateur ?
    Back to bird watching for you or whatever it is you are interested in.

Good lad

Good lad

Good lad yerself

Back to the bird watching or train spotting or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Well done Katie, a true legend! She's currently the greatest Irish person alive

Deep breaths. I think you need to calm down.

Well done Katie. She has done well to become the best boxer in her weight class. This is an achievement in itself but, let's not kid ourselves, it's not a highly competitive environment.

In this country we do enjoy elevating our sports persons to undeserved height - GAA being the obvious example. We are starved of true sporting greats, so it's an understandable trait.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Good lad yerself

Back to the bird watching or train spotting or whatever

Well did you stay up and watch it?

Advertisement