Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Never know until it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

spookwoman wrote: »
    Never know until it happens

True! But just from previous storms and looking at how they turned out vs the models, and the fact that the ICON and GCM seem to be showing different then I can't see it being that strong. It could be 150 easily though at the same time!

Regardless, tie everything down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

True! But just from previous storms and looking at how they turned out vs the models, and the fact that the ICON and GCM seem to be showing different then I can't see it being that strong. It could be 150 easily though at the same time!

Regardless, tie everything down!!

Agreed some serious off the mark forecasting on previous occasions. I'll be bringing in the gas cooker just in case. Can't do without the coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Guys this is unreal and come out of nowhere!!
    The conditions shown by some models warrant a red for sure in the South

Anytime you see 100km wind or 5cm of snow you say red warning. You must work for joe.ie?

pad199207 wrote: »
    ‪Earlier on today aparantly a woman rang the bbc and said she heard a hurricane was on the way...‬

Probably a boards subscriber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anytime you see 100km wind or 5cm of snow you say red warning. You must work for joe.ie?

He didn't say there would certainly be a red warning, like me he said that there would be IF the conditions shown on the charts verified.

A literal interpretation of the charts does not a sensationalist make. No different to a single run being on crack doesn't mean there's going to be another Ice Age.

I caveat any of my more sensational sounding posts for the same reason, though it shouldn't be necessary.

sdanseo wrote: »
    He didn't say there would be a red warning, like me he said that there would be IF the conditions shown on the charts verified.
    A literal interpretation of the charts does not a sensationalist make.
    I caveat any of my more sensational sounding posts for the same reason, though it shouldn't be necessary.

Take a look at his/her comment history on every time the weather gets bad. It always includes a red warning mention. This is also not the first time I have mentioned this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

That was a fair account on rte, could we go to red ... maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Take a look at his/her comment history on every time the weather gets bad. It always includes a red warning mention. This is also not the first time I have mentioned this.

Well aware, but it's generally linked to a chart or a situation that depicts red warning conditions.

The conversation should be about how the shíte charts never materialise, not how someone consistently interprets them correctly!

I realise the skill in forecasting is about the combination of matching literal interpretation of charts against probability and historical data. But it's still not incorrect to read a chart that shows 100kt winds and say "oh look, there'll be 100kt winds if that happens".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's a weird one alright.

Is it the ex hurricane that's providing the energy?
    I see stingjet mentioned, reminds me of Darwin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Had a look through all the models, quite a few scenarios showing. None of the high res models are showing 150 k winds really. The cyclone looks quite defined on some and rather messy on others. Would say that east cork, Waterford would appear to take the hardest winds on balance on the models. Quite fascinating stuff for August. Would be quite the shock to staycation people in caravans and what not if they do not take it seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Not a hope is there going to be 200km/h gusts. Max I am going to say is 110 at the coasts.

Its 2020. Anything is possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON still not developing the initial storm like the other models but does go on to get very windy on Thurs

anim_syl4.gif

anim_rqm2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anyone notice that the met warning doesn’t actually mention any wind speeds...it’s just an orange warning...strange

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

leahyl wrote: »
    Anyone notice that the met warning doesn’t actually mention any wind speeds...it’s just an orange warning...strange

Glasnevin being careful, a lot of chopping and changing. I’d say 130kmh+ gusts plus along SW fringes may be achievable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Still a lot of uncertainty. Not the usual storm path either but it’s 2020 so expect the worst!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just too much uncertainty yet I reckon, Siobhan Ryan did mention that it could be high impact, potential there for something out of the ordinary especially it being in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Will this storm be a flooding event or a wind event?

Both I’d say!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

I'd imagine non event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ireland has a vaccine.

Storm Ellen blew the fckon virus to Timbuc Too.

Thewife wrote: »
    Is she no longer on boards ?? I’ve been thinking about her for months wondering if she is ok with all this covid but can’t seem to find her here to send a message . Does anyone know if she is ok ? Sorry for being off topic

I am in touch with her.
    She is keeping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I am in touch with her.
    She is keeping well.

Thank God

Maybe thread should be called Level 2 Storm Ellen with embedded conversation about Grace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I am in touch with her.
    She is keeping well.

Tell her we were asking for her and we wish her well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The gfs is also saying no so we have 2 models not developing anything.
    Tough one to call but theven gfs is consistently saying no thanks

Tell her we were asking for her and we wish her well.

I certainly will do.
    Thanks for your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Storm Ellen is a merging of an Atlantic depression and the remnants of Tropical Storm Kyle. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the warnings are upgraded to status red.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Gfs still interested in giving us something severe in the South but a day later!
    Hard to be confident about anything.
    A forecasters nightmare!
    Saying that stockpiling for a 24hour event doesn't carry much punch these days after the covid story

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ICON and GFS not onboard.

12z GEM, UKMO, ECMWF, ARPEGE going for something nasty.

• Advertisement

ICON and GFS not onboard.

12z GEM, UKMO, ECMWF, ARPEGE going for something nasty.

Well, surely the majority rules?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement