Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangers calling you 'my friend'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

ablelocks wrote: »
    until it is, and then you get a full account of how it is, in fact, going for them - and usually, it's not a good story.

"How are things" and "how are you" are phrases that should never be used round the literal minded English.

I used say it as a barman over and the reply would be pan account of their day followed by silence as they stare patiently as they wait for you to ask what drink they would like.
    They couldn't understand the concept that the barman didn't actually care how things were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

That's like real Dubs saying, ah right Pal, Buddy, Bud, Lad, Dude(D4 Head types) and Mate (UK mainly).

Its a way to try and break the ice with a stranger, I would not read too much into it OP.

Could be worse, All right My Friend, Ya Bollix :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Alright chuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Probably better than being called 'scan' or 'sham' depending on what part of North Galway you find yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Interested Bystander

I used to live in South Carolina, once you get called 'hot rod' by a middle aged man, anything is an improvement.

People being fake is one thing but if someone is being friendly and doesn't know what to call you, i'm everyone's buddy, pal, friend, mate or lad
    Just don't call me dotey pet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Just don't call me dotey pet :)

Who calls you that!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

People just gave crutch words.

I know someone who calls me “Me ould segotia!”

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Interested Bystander

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Who calls you that!?

No-one thankfully, but i've heard it going around. *shootmyself in the face emoji*

No-one thankfully, but i've heard it going around. *shootmyself in the face emoji*

I thought you might have an older female friend with a soft spot for you. I was going to suggest doubling down on the boundaries!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

I don't particularly like this either, but I'm sure it's often meant in a friendly way. If someone says it to me, online we'll say... - I will reluctantly return it with a 'bud' or 'buddy', I couldn't bring myself to return with 'my friend', but I do understand they are just using 'my friend' the same way I am using 'buddy', in other words - to simply convey a bit of warmth in the conversation!

Conversely - I don't think I could utter the word 'buddy' out loud! Unless I was taking off Keith Duffy or something... I think I could however utter the word 'friend', but certainly not with the word 'my' attached, not to a stranger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

440Hertz wrote: »

I use that phrase :D only for special people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Speak friend and enter

440Hertz wrote: »

I have a jumper I've worn so much that I call it 'Me auld Pal'. And it is just that, warm - friendly... warm - never lets you down, always there for me.

My auld pal the Jumper!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I have a jumper I've worn so much that I call it 'Me auld Pal'. And it is just that, warm - friendly... warm - never lets you down, always there for me.

My auld pal the Jumper!

U ok................

Hun?

U ok................

Hun?

I'm fine chick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Listen Bud.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Listen Bud.

You leave my dotey pet alone, chum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

It is the same friend that some people have on Facebook. People that you met once and never saw or spoke again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

We have not been formally introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

.........don't 'bro' me if ya don't know me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I hate when you go to a more causal restaurant in Ireland or the UK and the waiter/waitress calls you 'mate' or tells you to 'come this way folks'. It's far too relaxed for its own good, and I will often pull them up on it, or simply not leave a tip. Sir and Madam is the only way a waiter/waitress should refer to a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

People who call you Friend, Pal, Bud or Buddy are rarely trying to be friendly in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I hate when you go to a more causal restaurant in Ireland or the UK and the waiter/waitress calls you 'mate' or tells you to 'come this way folks'. It's far too relaxed for its own good, and I will often pull them up on it, or simply not leave a tip. Sir and Madam is the only way a waiter/waitress should refer to a customer.
    Well maybe if you're dining in the 50's. Who the hell says Madam?

Those kind of things can be used passive-aggressively, but if it's meant kindly then I'll take it that way. There's nothing wrong with being warm and friendly in your dealings with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I am guilty of using it when I have a connection with who I am conversating to. It is a form of endearment to me, I'm just confused why so many seem to take offense to it.

I don't agree. It's usually done in a manner to disguise (poorly) a certain level of aggression.

From your Barber?

Steady on there petal, that door won't close itself.

Naughty step, ten minutes. :(

Jesus Christ!

You won't leave a tip because a waiter didn't grovel? And then pull them up on it because they dared not recognize your knighthood?

I have news for you, your food is regularly spat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Well maybe if you're dining in the 50's. Who the hell says Madam?

Waiters working in restaurants where you aren't expected to sit at a bench with complete strangers or use a roll of kitchen towel to wipe your hands as you eat. If you've made a reservation then I've no issues with being referred to by my first name. It's this overly familiar mate/folks/guys that I have an issue with. It gets the meal off to a very bad start.

• Advertisement

Language is not black and white, gang. It's a nuanced shade of grey.

Advertisement