Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Non book readers" Season 8 - Speculation Thread - Spoilers on thread from 15th Apr

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Note this thread WILL contain spoilers from Monday forward. Any spoilers needs to follow the same rule as the episode thread (i.e. spoiler tag until Wednesday Midnight for the specific episode).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Will Hodor return as a wight along with who ever else is in winterfells crypt.
    Also would the mountain be a secret weapon against the wights as he's an undead of sorts.

Didn't Qyburn take the burnt severed hand of the undead that was brought to King's Landing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Very slow start , to be expected I suppose. Setting the scene for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dull enough episode but will obv improve as all the 'boring stuff' is out of the way

Small shock near the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Dull enough episode but will obv improve as all the 'boring stuff' is out of the way

Small shock near the end

It moved a lot of pieces onto the board,a great set up for what's to come and a couple of reveals that I didn't expect to come until later.

Fair play to whoever put the trailer together for not spoiling anything in the series. When everyone sees the episode they'll know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Very slow start , to be expected I suppose. Setting the scene for the rest of the season.

They've been setting the scene for 8 years, there's no need for this now. Disappointing to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Very slow start but atleast the writing wasnt as bad as the last episode.

Bran is a little creep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

The season openers have typically been low key affairs and this is no different. Definitely setting up some interesting conflicts though.

Once again, I am reminded of how little I care about any of the Greyjoys. The least interesting characters by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Slow? Dull?

I found it great.

Maybe I'm different to other people but I enjoy seeing Jon Snow talk to Arya again for the first time since the very first episode. Arya with the Hound and Gendry. Or seeing Sansa with Tyrion. Or seeing them all meet Dany. Seeing them finally all interact.

Thinking about what these characters would say to each other is more fun to me than seeing CGI army 1 collide and fight with CGI army 2. There will be time for that but it's not why I watch the show. I watch it for the characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

I enjoyed it. I would say it’s an awful faux pas however that Jon rides a dragon and danaerys doesn’t know only targs can do so? Tyrion also knows only Targaryens can ride dragons- that and the reveal scene with Sam felt a little off and rushed. Overall some great reunions though and excellent creepy scene with young Umber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Solid episode but everything about the dragon riding scene was awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

RickBlaine wrote: »
    The season openers have typically been low key affairs and this is no different. Definitely setting up some interesting conflicts though.

Once again, I am reminded of how little I care about any of the Greyjoys. The least interesting characters by far.

For me the Greyworm & Missandei love story is the biggest waste of screen time in every season

I like house greyjoy, pure wildcarders, sail around fúck shít up and then get booted out a few week later because they're no good on land. Theon as a character has probably gone on the most chaotic character arc from Season 1 to now, he still doesn't know who he is or where he belongs, he still cowers in shame for betraying Robb, even killing those farm boys. He doesn't know if he has what it takes to be a Greyjoy. He's still isn't over the torment Ramsey put him through, he's so lost, mutilated in body and in mind and his main adversary is his uncle who is the most arrogant man in Westoros. Its a great setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

NDWC wrote: »
    but everything about the dragon riding scene was awful

I was thinking they're setting up for a GoT ride in some theme park, and this will be the 4D experience you can have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I was thinking they're setting up for a GoT ride in some theme park, and this will be the 4D experience you can have.

This would actually not surprise me, it was something straight out of a Disney film.

Don't even get me started on the "look" Jon got from the dragon when getting busy with Daenerys. Cringeworthy stuff and completely out of place on a show like this.

On a positive note, the scene with the young white walker was ****ing terrifying :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

is there not a scene in "How to Train Your Dragon" just like that???

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Not really speculation or spoilers but more what I would like to see happen. What I worry is that too much of the series is going to be dedicated to epic battles fighting the White walkers etc. I really hope we see more tension around Dany in the North before that happens, maybe even building up to war in the North before the White walkers arrive and all that is set aside. After the White-walkers are dealt with I hope there is a few episodes dealing with the aftermath. Old tensions return of who should rule and perhaps there be a final battle for the Iron Throne.

While I enjoy the big epic battles scenes, I prefer them in small doses. I personally like more the politics of the show. I hope we don't lose too much of that in the final season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Agree on the Greyjoys and the Missandei stuff it's just tedious.

It's obvious to me that Daeny ends up the worse for any rivalry with Sansa. They're making her much less likeable, while gassing up Sansa.

Jaime will save Brans life or do something to redeem himself. They'll kill off Sam to try and really cause some sad face emojis for viewers. Arya will kick ass. Tyrion will be clever. One of the two dragons will get killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Not really speculation or spoilers but more what I would like to see happen. What I worry is that too much of the series is going to be dedicated to epic battles fighting the White walkers etc. I really hope we see more tension around Dany in the North before that happens, maybe even building up to war in the North before the White walkers arrive and all that is set aside. After the White-walkers are dealt with I hope there is a few episodes dealing with the aftermath. Old tensions return of who should rule and perhaps there be a final battle for the Iron Throne.

While I enjoy the big epic battles scenes, I prefer them in small doses. I personally like more the politics of the show. I hope we don't lose too much of that in the final season.

I agree, hope that with all the reunions and groups coming together that we get deeper dialogue than ep 1where it was just a few quips each scene and cut to another character. Its hard to move the story along much when you have to go through so many POVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,596 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Right. Heres whats gonna happen. The Night kings army will destroy Winterfell, killing loads of characters, then make its way down to kings landing where cersai will do a deal with one of the white walkers who is secretly bored of being cold all the time, he'll assassinate the night king, the wights will all turn back to being dead and cersai will then doublecross the Whitewalker and take control of the 7 kingdoms. Then she'll die in childbirth giving birth to a dwarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Akrasia wrote: »
    Then she'll die in childbirth giving birth to a dwarf.

I do like this idea.

Particularly if said dwarf was Eurons kid - seeing as the Iron Born dont even let dwarfs live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

golfball37 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. I would say it’s an awful faux pas however that Jon rides a dragon and danaerys doesn’t know only targs can do so? Tyrion also knows only Targaryens can ride dragons- that and the reveal scene with Sam felt a little off and rushed. Overall some great reunions though and excellent creepy scene with young Umber

Remind me, how do we know that only Targaryens can ride dragons? Is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

To borrow from The Dark Knight, "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain".

I think Dany will end up becoming an antagonist to the Starks and Jon. It could cause Tyrion to change sides and ally with Jon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

juneg wrote: »
    Remind me, how do we know that only Targaryens can ride dragons? Is that right?

Technically its old Valaryian blood but the Targaryens were the only survivors of that people. Mentioned in many of the history and lore series that come with the dvds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'm predicting a Deus Ex Melisandre to happen when Jon Snow and co are backed into a tight spot they can't get out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I'm predicting a Deus Ex Melisandre to happen when Jon Snow and co are backed into a tight spot they can't get out of.

They should be used to these certain death tight spots at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I made a prediction on the True Detective S3 thread when it was 3 episodes in and got it mostly right with very little info. And I can't help but think I've cracked how this is going to end just from all the hints in the first episode and throughout the series. So I'm just throwing my prediction out there. This might be a little long so sorry in advance. :o

- Gendry and Arya will be the King and Queen by the end of it all. A Baratheon and a Stark is the best mix to keep peace in Westoros. Robert Baratheon told Ned in S1 "You have a daughter and I have a son, we'll join our houses". That was clearly forshadowing of Arya and Gendry rather than Sansa and Joffrey. I don't think any of the main "heroes" will live to make a claim to the throne. So the Baratheon name will still be the most legitimate claim to the throne and a Stark queen would keep the north happy. It would also be bittersweet because Robert, who Gendry clearly resembles, was supposed to marry Lyanna, who Arya resembles also.

- Cersei will send her army north to fight the Stark army at the same time the white walkers army is attacking Winterfell but once the golden company and her army get there they won't really care about fighting anything but the dead. This will be that major set piece battle that they claim took over a month to shoot. There won't be more major battles because of the budget and it also wraps things up nicely by not having another battle scene in Kings Landing.

- Either the Night King's dragon or maybe one of Dany's dragons will be killed by the massive ballista that Cersei sent with her army.

- The Night King will be killed by Jon but will stab him in the heart before dying and when he does kill him I think Bran will die too at the exact same time. Confirming the theory that Bran was the NK or atleast was linked to him in some way through his messing with the past, and knew he was going to die hence the whole peaceful and emotionless demeanour he's had since becoming the three eyed raven. It comes full circle a lot like the Hodor past alteration and his death.

- Jon will become the "new" NK because of the ice dagger in the heart (just like when the children of the forest used their magic dagger to make the first NK) but he will not have any/many soldiers to raise from the dead because of Dany's dragons burning the bodies during the battle, meaning he will retreat back north of the wall to "sleep for 1000 years" exactly like the last NK when he was defeated.

- Before the battle Dany will send Jamie back to KL to kill Cersei in order to earn her trust/redeem himself for killing her father. Tyrion will object but she won't care and will most likely revoke his Hand of the Queen status because she will have learned from Jamie that Cersei is already betraying her. Leaving Tyrion responsible for most of her major failures because of his advice and she won't care what he thinks anymore. Jorah will most likely become her new hand. This will lead Tyrion to despise Dany for sending his brother on what is basically a suicide mission and humiliating him so he will approach Sansa to conspire against her and will probably be the one to end up killing her. Both Lannister brothers become the ones to kill both Queens and GRRM/D&D seem to love those ironic twists. Either Jorah or Brienne will be killed trying to defend them also if they aren't killed during the battle at winterfell.

I'm not really sure on much else to actually make a prediction and there are a few things I haven't got a clue as to how they will end. Varys and the whole Melisandre thing has me completely lost and I'm certain that's just a piece of lazy writing from D&D. They haven't set anything up for his arc or her arc and it seems to me that the whole vision she had of Varys dying was just a writing cop out to wrap up Varys' storyline, a lot like Littlefinger. Can't be having two characters who's only skill is sneaky politics hanging around during the supernatural parts of the show. I highly doubt GRRM will be writing anything remotely like that for either character when/if his final books come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

It’s a pain in the jacksie having to wait a whole week for the next episode

Anything to be said for Tyroin being a Tyrgaryan also.
    Considering he freed the dragons from the caves and didn't get toasted

Also Twyin does say hes no son of his before he takes tyroin second arrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The word 'foreshadowing' is overused so many times when it comes to Game of Thrones. Not everything that's vaguely ****ing similar or involves the same characters is bloody foreshadowing. Most of the times, it's just a coincidence.

Advertisement