Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

To put that into context for the Solheim Cup, I reckon 93rd in the world rankings makes her the 15th highest European.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,644 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

paulos53 wrote:
    To put that into context for the Solheim Cup, I reckon 93rd in the world rankings makes her the 15th highest European.

She'll be much higher in a couple of weeks, she's only just got going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Hopefully, would be great to see her push on now. she has the form at the moment so a win is on the cards.

Lydia Ko is on ridiculous form at the moment, something like -40 for her last 100 holes,

etxp wrote:
    Lydia Ko is on ridiculous form at the moment, something like -40 for her last 100 holes,
    Last 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Good interview with her on the Irish Golfer Podcast this week

• Advertisement

4 birdies in her last five holes has propelled Leona to tied for the lead in the early stages of the opening round of the LA Open on the LPGA tour.

The pride of slieve Russell In Cavan is 3 under through 8 holes. The tournament which began today concludes this Saturday as the LPGA tour tries to accommodate players playing in the Asian swing starting in Singapore tomorrow week. As things stand Leona is not in the field for the hsbc women’s world championship next Thursday, but a big performance here may well change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Surprised to read that she missed the cut in the end, shame. Perhaps a bit of fatigue after last week.

The LPGA Matchplay starts tomorrow and Leona is drawn in a group with Jennifer Kupcho, Ally Ewing and Christina Kim

She has avoided the big name players so not a bad group to be in

4 up through 5 versus Jennifer Kupcho. A win would give her the only 100% record in the group after 2 games

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

She was 5up after 7 but is now 3up after 9.

• Advertisement

Kupcho is a tough nut, if she wins this you'd have to fancy she makes the knockout stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

1up 2 to play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

3 bogeys in her last 4. She started well but has slipped. Her opponent for tomorrow has outplayed her looking at the scorecard. Hopefully it's her bad day on the course for the week but she still holds on for the win

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Finished All Square

Her opponent parred every hole from the 8th to the 17th to win 5 of those holes and only lose 1. Leona will be disappointed I'd say that she couldn't have been steadier. 4up with 6 to play and finish all square...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ewing in the final tonight...some turnaround from losing to Maguire. Unfortunate she couldn't have held on in round 2 or get the win day 3

At least Maguire can say she was the only player to beat Ally Ewing last week :)

She didn’t seem to play well looking at her cards. Especially the second day. Hopefully she has a better week this week at the US Open

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

tobsey wrote: »
    She didn’t seem to play well looking at her cards. Especially the second day. Hopefully she has a better week this week at the US Open

Don't think she qualified for this week

Poker Face wrote: »
    Don't think she qualified for this week

I assumed she’d be in. That’s a shame if true.

• Advertisement

tobsey wrote: »
    I assumed she’d be in. That’s a shame if true.

She had to enter pre qualifying a few weeks ago and didn't qualify.

How is she not in this week? She's inside the top 100 in the world rankings and 18th on the LPGA money list this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think it's top 75 only on the rankings and top 10 on the tour money list who get exemptions so she missed out on both, but not by much. The cut off point was 14 April and i believe she moved inside the top 10 on the Race to CME Globe list a week later so she appears to have been very unfortunate there. Missed out on play-off for a qualifying spot by a single shot too.

Leona the early leader at the 1st round of the LPGA Mediheal Championship in California. The pride of Slieve Russell is 4 under through 8 holes.

Keep her lit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭Speak Now

7 birdies in 10 holes, -6 early lead of 3.

She is flying it, 5 shots in the less with one hole to play.

DuckSlice wrote: »
    She is flying it, 5 shots in the less with one hole to play.

Par 5 to finish, a 4 would be a 63 on a tough course.

Stephanie Meadow shot 80.

Finished with a 6, great round all the same. 9 birdies.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

4 clear as well! Only time now before she records a W

• Advertisement

Today is the important day i feel, if she can finish today with a 2 or even 3 shot lead then it sets her up nicely for the weekend. If she is caught today i think she will fade away over the weekend.

Is there any coverage of this on Sky?

Advertisement