Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone you really admire.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

George Orwell. Fascinating mind. And his books are genius while being really accessible and easy to read. I just wish he lived longer to write more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He's a draft-dodging coward who'd be an utter liability in a difficult situation.

Let's see if the wimp hangs around to face the music in the next months/years.

I don't get the alpha male thing. Surely, what makes alpha males alpha is just the way they are rather than affectations to the same effect. At the very least, having to pay and buy the silence of prostitutes alone is a disqualifier IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My granny. She won’t be remembered by anyone outside my family but she was a great woman. Born in the early 1900’s, she worked to help pay my grandfather’s way through college. She held down a job while having nine children and became a widow early on. She was a dressmaker for a music hall in Liverpool, she helped out the girls who got into trouble, didn’t judge the homosexuals and even rented a room to a black family in the 40’s which was unheard of at the time but she always judged people in their character, not their class or position in life. She was the first person I ever heard use the C word and was always unapologetically herself and didn’t care what anyone thought of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Surely, what makes alpha males alpha is just the way they are rather than affectations to the same effect.

I always imagine who I'd like to have next to me if I was in a difficult such as a natural disaster, foxhole in a battle, stranded on a desert island, or whatnot (not necessarily male either).

Donald Trump would be an utter liability - he's used to bankrupting and buying his way out of 'difficult' situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't get the alpha male thing. Surely, what makes alpha males alpha is just the way they are rather than affectations to the same effect. At the very least, having to pay and buy the silence of prostitutes alone is a disqualifier IMO.

Trump is the opposite of what would be considered a "alpha male".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

George Orwell. Fascinating mind. And his books are genius while being really accessible and easy to read. I just wish he lived longer to write more.

Whenever I read about political parties foaming at the mouth over something or other, I often think of "Homage to Catalonia". You're there with him, tasting the disillusionment.

There's something 'honest' about what he writes, if you get my drift. Makes his stuff very engaging. (all three books that I read, anyway :eek::o:D ).

Look him up in Wikipedia - there's an interesting quote from him about Dickens. Sort of admiring the activist in Dickens.

Thank God for great writers, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Rothko wrote: »

He bedded plenty high-profile good looking women and the Guardian even did a piece on it before he even got elected back in 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2016/oct/10/do-alpha-males-even-exist-donald-trump

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Alfred Russel Wallace, Charles Darwin and the tragic, super talented Robert Fitzroy. And... the relationship between Darwin, Fitzroy and the man that put them together, Francis Beaufort. Men of men.

Whenever I read about political parties foaming at the mouth over something or other, I often think of "Homage to Catalonia". You're there with him, tasting the disillusionment.

There's something 'honest' about what he writes, if you get my drift. Makes his stuff very engaging. (all three books that I read, anyway :eek::o:D ).

Look him up in Wikipedia - there's an interesting quote from him about Dickens. Sort of admiring the activist in Dickens.

Thank God for great writers, folks!

He never tried to lose anyone in complicated of wistful prose. Homage to Cat is great, the man had his principles. I've paid "homage" to his little house in Notting Hill many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

theguzman wrote: »
    He bedded plenty high-profile good looking women and the Guardian even did a piece on it before he even got elected back in 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2016/oct/10/do-alpha-males-even-exist-donald-trump

He's a seriously insecure chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

I admire Kellie-Jay Keen for standing up for women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Jessica Fletcher. Solved a lot of murders.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Yeah, women who would not have got up on him to get over a wall if it wasn't for his money. He has always looked dog-eaten, even in his youth. I wouldn't have gone near him with someone else's knob and I'm not a picky guy.

Trump is someone who has lived his entire life on brinksmanship because he could buy his way out of any consequences, and it shows. Horrible old man.

I never liked Orwell's writing style in terms of fiction, found 1984 hard to finish because of it, but he was an amazing essayist. Should be read a lot more than he already is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Rothko wrote: »

Oh, I know. It's amazing that a guy who needs to pay for it and who'd be an incel if he weren't a billionaire is somehow an alpha according to some.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Valresnick wrote: »
    Did you not think it was a little bit suspicious that Cabot Cove had such a disproportionately high murder rate when Ms. Fletcher was there? I don't think she was the innocent amateur detective that she was portrayed as.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't really "admire" anyone, nor do I have "heroes", but off the top of my head and at this moment, I would say I like Dolly Parton. A woman who came from nothing, born (literally) into a dirt poor family as one of 12 kids whose life was almost destined to be of a very different shade. But, through a combination of many different things, managed to carve out a life that would have been denied to many who were born into her circumstances.

Can't say I have much time for her music, but I'll tip my hat to her and like her healthy sense of self deprecation.

"It takes a lot of money to look this cheap".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

And how much did he have to pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Or did she cause a lot of murders

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In no particular order -

Jane Goodall
    John Hume
    Nelson Mandela

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't really "admire" anyone, nor do I have "heroes", but off the top of my head and at this moment, I would say I like Dolly Parton. A woman who came from nothing, born (literally) into a dirt poor family as one of 12 kids whose life was almost destined to be of a very different shade. But, through a combination of many different things, managed to carve out a life that would have been denied to many who were born into her circumstances.

Can't say I have much time for her music, but I'll tip my hat to her and like her healthy sense of self deprecation.

"It takes a lot of money to look this cheap".

Dolly is a good shout. Has made more than the GDP of seven different countries and never forgot her roots.

Great video of her in Páidí Ó Sé's pub...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Noam Chomsky
    Julian Assange
    Edward Snowden
    James Connolly
    Charles Stewart Parnell
    Tom Barry
    Che Guevara
    Frank Zappa
    Jeremy Corbyn
    George Orwell
    Iggy Pop
    Dalton Trumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

AllForIt wrote: »
    I find him to one of the most unlikable short tempered politicians I've come across

Was Corbyn really short tempered? Any examples? The great Jim Mclean (a man who should be admired) died over the Christmas. Now there was a guy who was short tempered!:D

What did Corbyn do? Might be a laugh to watch whether we like him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Would be doing multiple life sentences if she ever crossed paths with a certain Lt Columbo, "Just one more thing Mrs Fletcher ...".

Ms Fletcher even came to Ireland once and there were murders galore, plus the regular Garda wore guns

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bob Geldof,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I'd be inclined to moot Angela Merkel as well. She enjoyed a career in Physics research before rising to the top of a male-dominated conservative party.

The OP doesn't seem inclined to respond to my question on this, so maybe you would.

Does the fact she is essentially a proxy rapist irk you? That if it weren't for decisions that she took, thousands of German women, children, even men, would be able to say they had never been raped? That they lost this status because she made an absolute lunatic decision to allow all these people in with zero background checking?

I'm just fascinated at how some people can put this to one side because they think she is a strong leader. One would be a pariah if you publicly stated you admired aspects of Hitler's reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Possibly poisoned by soviet agents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Bambi wrote: »
    Possibly poisoned by soviet agents too.

I've never heard of this before, any sources?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Ms Fletcher even came to Ireland once and there were murders galore, plus the regular Garda wore guns
    People were travelling from Skibbereen to Donegal to other places as if they were all 10 minutes down the road. :D And of course the accents were all over the place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Professor Philip Nolan
    Dr Cillian De Guscon
    Dr Ronan Glynn
    Dr Tony Houlihan
    My GP & her Clinic Team
    All Health Workers, especially non medical (NOT HOWEVER HSE SENIOR MANAGEMENT)
    Mary Regan (RTE Journalist)
    Zara King (Virgin Media News)
    Sarah Mac Inerney ( the o jesus slip was the radio moment of 2020)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement