Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone you really admire.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

For me in no particular order

Ruairí Ó Brádaigh
    Daithí Ó Conaill
    Jeremy Corbyn
    Tony Benn
    Alan Shearer
    Johnny Doyle
    Dermot Early
    Shay Given
    Gary Speed
    Muammar Gaddafi

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Lemmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I'll start. Angela Merkel for me. In my mind the most important person, woman, and European of the 21st century. A towering figure of European politics for the past 20 years. A committed Social/Christian Democrat; a child of the Iron Curtain, a pragmatist, a beer drinker, a fundamentally decent human being. Opinion polls that came out today show she has a 78% approval rating with the German people, and I know people here are starting to hope she reconsiders her decision to retire as Chancellor.

For you?

As a quick side question, for which I only ask a single reply, rather than de rail the thread.

Why? Why would anybody possible tolerate, let alone laud her, for the disaster of crime, terrorism and welfare dependency she led Germany in to with her handling of the migrant crisis? I do not pretend to know the ins and outs of the German Covid related budget deficit, but I am going to assume Germany would currently be in a more healthy state to see this through if it had not imported so many of these people, all of them in need of state supported housing and many of them still reliant on welfare.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/12066/germany-rape-crisis

One might correctly point out the above link is from a right wing organisation, but the incidents which it documents are all lifted from, and links given, to mainstream German media. It documents circa 150 incidents of sex offences of varying degrees of severity committed in a given year between January and March alone. Mostly seeming to involve nationalities predominant during the migrant crisis (23 mentions of the word Afghan, 13 Syrian, 4 Pakistan, 9 Morocco, 19 unknown suspects desribed as African or North African, 17 unknowns described as Arab). And these are just the incidents the people compiling this article were able to find via the media.

I just find it astounding that someone who introduced so much destruction and suffering on her own state doesn't have the public calling for her execution, much in the same way Tony Blair is arguably the most hated individual in modern British history. I know from your post history you detest left wing nonsense, so why laud a leader who embraces this kind of lawless thuggery and welfare dependency?

That isn't even to mention what seemed at times to be twice or thrice monthly incidents involving motorists and knifemen attacking random people in the streets, only for the incident to seemingly disappear nowhere and the unnamed assailant to be classed as a German citizen with long standing mental health issues. I take it Germany doesn't have a tradition of investigative journalism.

Anyway. As for the original question. Tyson Fury. Came back from absolute rock bottom, obesity, addiction, depression, didn't let the fact his first fight against Wilder was stolen off him keep him down, came back even harder in the second. A very funny character and seems a good bloke all round (Kinahan incident aside. Boxing isn't black and white, you want to do business you deal with nefarious characters, always been that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Are they two peas in a pod do you think? Trump is literally Hitler?

Hitler did shoot Hitler in the end.:)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tom Gilmartin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Madonna.
    She came from nowhere to become the most successful woman in music.
    Fought for causes that were not in the public eye after. Controversy after controversy shes still here.And still striving for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Brother Kevin in the Capuchin Day Centre.

Doing his thing quietly in the background for the homeless and less fortunate like a ****ing boss.

People who can successfully live in a log cabin exactly as they want to live whether by themselves or with their families.

Or someone like Grigori Perelman, a mathematician who solved one of the millennium problems (the Poincaré conjecture IIRC) yet refused the 1 million dollar prize money that goes with solving it. And refused a Fields medal as well.

Leonhard Euler for obvious reasons.

None of them hold a candle to Lena Dunham though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Well, of course mine would have to be Charles Dickens. Writer of many a novel with a happy ending - I know, sometimes its a bit wearing; creator of some absolutely wonderful characters (waits for applause to subside...), tireless campaigner for the rights of the poor - especially for children's education. Created Christmas after the Protestants had killed it. Campaigned to have Christmas Day as a day off for workers in UK and USA.

Bit of a super hero as well, having made two* great escapes from a fatal rail crash, while also helping to tend to the injured.

*Saving his life AND reputation, allegedly. Although I think the truth was already out there. There's a rumour that telegrams about the crash to the press were delayed. Staplehurst for those interested.

much of the above could use some qualification, but it'll do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Great Expectations was still a long old slog to read though ffs

They all are:eek:.

I think reading Dickens is like reading algebra, but for some perverse reason I absolutely love his style.

Witty as well....

"What do you call it, when Lords break off door-knockers and beat policemen, and play at coaches with other people's money, and all that sort of thing?"

'Aristocratic?' suggested the collector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Donald Trump, an alpha male who rose to the most powerful position in the world despite an entire system designed to prevent him from doing so. The greatest President of the United States in living memory, a powerful figure and so popular it took the biggest voting fraud in history to unseat him. The man, the legend, he grew into something bigger than the man himself. :cool:

theguzman wrote: »
    Donald Trump, an alpha male who rose to the most powerful position in the world despite an entire system designed to prevent him from doing so. The greatest President of the United States in living memory, a powerful figure and so popular it took the biggest voting fraud in history to unseat him. The man, the legend, he grew into something bigger than the man himself. :cool:

You know what, it wouldn't surprise me if in 500 years, some historians actually argue along these lines.

edit to say : I expect you're writing tongue-in-cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Jeremy Corbyn
    Eamonn McCann
    Peadar Tóibín
    Ruairí Ó Brádaigh

People that have the courage to stand up for what they believe in regardless of consequences (I might not agree with them - but i do admire them!)

Jacinta Arden

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Bleak House’ is pretty great.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I read David Copperfield and felt like I had read scripture it was that dense. The man doesn't like full stops!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

AOC and Nancy Pelosi.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Steve Jobs
    Roy Keane
    David Goggins
    Carl Brashear
    Robert Downey Jnr.
    Meryl Streep

AOC and Nancy Pelosi.

Who is AOC? For a second I thought "Aidan O'Shea" . My master would kill me...

(edit :Unless Mayo have an Argentinian playing for them : Aidan O' Che )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Who is AOC? For a second I thought "Aidan O'Shea" . My master would kill me...

(edit :Unless Mayo have an Argentinian playing for them : Aidan O' Che )

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez.

She is beloved by Irish eternal students who fear having to work for a living and opinions that differ from their own.

She is beloved by Irish eternal students who fear having to work for a living and opinions that differ from their own.

We work.

Or i do.

I admire people who don't storm govt buildings in a buffalo suit while being an actor ....who is between jobs according to his cousin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

And hated by racists. See, we can all make sweeping generalisations.

trixi001 wrote: »

Jacinta Arden

A true leader.

Put her people first and not the economy.

As a result, they're now back open and getting back to normal while everyone else is suffering through another wave of mass death.

I admire people who don't storm govt buildings in a buffalo suit while being an actor ....who is between jobs according to his cousin

The thread title is Someone ...., although I suppose the description above could fairly narrow it down alright :D:D

Roy Keane. For someone from Cork to rise to the pinnacle of English football and now punditry, is quite something.

You make it sound like he had a learning disability.......

Jamila Musayeva

She wrote a book on etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Diogenes of Sinope.

Lying in the sun one day, Alexander The Great (arguably the most powerful man in that area of the world at the time, and a fan of the philosopher) approached Diogenes and asked if there was anything he wanted. Diogenes replied "Yes, stand a little out of my sun"

He also gave Plato a bit of a slagging using a chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Diogenes of Sinope.

Lying in the sun one day, Alexander The Great (arguably the most powerful man in that area of the world at the time, and a fan of the philosopher) approached Diogenes and asked if there was anything he wanted. Diogenes replied "Yes, stand a little out of my sun"

A cynical choice, G.

The tide is turning…

Diogenes of Sinope.

He was against property rights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

He was against property rights though.

Well, in fairness, he was against pretty much every societal norm that existed in his day. You'd be disappointed if he wasn't against property rights.

• Advertisement

Well, in fairness, he was against pretty much every societal norm that existed in his day. You'd be disappointed if he wasn't against property rights.
    I suppose we must not compare him with the hippies of today.

I mean they really killed odd balls back then. He must have been pretty bad ass.

Advertisement