Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone you really admire.

Options
  • 08-01-2021 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Even a cursory glance at this forum shows it's filled with multiple threads dedicated to people posters find annoying, false, irritating, stupid etc. As an occasional visitor I must admit it's not a particularly easy or enjoyable read. The vibe is very much of men in their 30's ranting against a world they never really understood, and now are down right confused and angry about.

So in an effort to lighten the tone I'm asking you to name a person you really admire, and why you admire them.

I'll start. Angela Merkel for me. In my mind the most important person, woman, and European of the 21st century. A towering figure of European politics for the past 20 years. A committed Social/Christian Democrat; a child of the Iron Curtain, a pragmatist, a beer drinker, a fundamentally decent human being. Opinion polls that came out today show she has a 78% approval rating with the German people, and I know people here are starting to hope she reconsiders her decision to retire as Chancellor.

For you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

I’d give Angela one.

Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John.burke

Tiger Woods

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Michael O’ Leary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Mark Evans. Fu¢ker can make anything. Talent falling out his hole. Admire him...... And envy him biggly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin.

My former partner grew up in the Soviet Union, and her parents were extremely vocal in their belief that Stalin was the last proper Marxist that has ever lived.

Mark Evans. Fu¢ker can make anything. Talent falling out his hole. Admire him...... And envy him biggly.

Without discovery behind him he would be no where.

Maurice McCabe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Jeremy Corbyn. A decent human being and an accidental leader, who always remained dignified and polite throughout four years of vicious attacks, lies and smears from an establishment that was terrified of the prospect of a fair and just society.

Without discovery behind him he would be no where.

Sure you can say that about every modern famous person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Eddie Jordan for entering the world of Formula 1 and having success in the sport.

Sure you can say that about every modern famous person.

It’s the truth, now carry on with your man crush.

Well I can't now, you ruined it.

.anon. wrote: »
    Jeremy Corbyn. A decent human being and an accidental leader, who always remained dignified and polite throughout four years of vicious attacks, lies and smears from an establishment that was terrified of the prospect of a fair and just society.

On a serious note, Corbyn would be mine too. A fine man.

Tony Been would be another. A man that grew up in wealth, inherited a peerage from his father, fought to renounce his title which led to the Peerage Act of 1963 and spent the rest of his life fighting for the ordinary man and woman.

His speech on Iraq is one of the finest that has been given in Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Generalfeldmarschall Johannes Erwin Eugen Rommel

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Tony Been would be another. A man that grew up in wealth, inherited a peerage from his father, fought to renounce his title which led to the Peerage Act of 1963 and spent the rest of his life fighting for the ordinary man and woman.

I admire Corbyn immensely too, trying to run a party, and elections with both hands tied behind his back by a rabidly hostile PLP and media. Never stood a chance though, and my only criticism would be he maybe should have gone after the first election and that way a left candidate would have had a better chance of succeding him. Anyhoo, still a top bloke.

Tony Benn is mine. I think this diaries are a fantastic read, whether you agree with his politics or not, he was a very thoughtful and principled man.

I have his autograph on a postcard, but apparently his staff would often sign stuff sent from his office, so it might well have never been anywhere near him! :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Steven Seagal, I wish I'd the confidence to pull off a ponytail while doing a sweet roundhouse kick even if his hair is suspiciously black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Obviously Donal Q Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Shakin’ Stevens.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Paraic Nally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Can I be THAT guy and propose Hitler?

Disclaimers:
    Not for his beliefs.
    Not for what he did while in power.

But just specifically I admire the way he rose from being a layabout to being the most powerful man in Europe, through sheer force of personality, charisma and willpower.

I look forward to people twisting my words and implying I'm a nazi sympathiser.

I am referring purely to his skills at manipulating people. I find it fascinating in a morbid way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,193 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Can I be THAT guy and propose Hitler?

Disclaimers:
    Not for his beliefs.
    Not for what he did while in power.

But just specifically I admire the way he rose from being a layabout to being the most powerful man in Europe, through sheer force of personality, charisma and willpower.

I look forward to people twisting my words and implying I'm a nazi sympathiser.

I am referring purely to his skills at manipulating people. I find it fascinating in a morbid way.

Thought you were gunna propose Trump. Not that surprised you picked Hitler :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thought you were gunna propose Trump. Not that surprised you picked Hitler :pac:

Are they two peas in a pod do you think? Trump is literally Hitler?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

When I grow up I want to be Bishop Daly in 1972 Derry, facing bullets with nothing but a white handkerchief because that’s what needs to be done and I’m doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Leo Varadkar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Steven Seagal, I wish I'd the confidence to pull off a ponytail while doing a sweet roundhouse kick even if his hair is suspiciously black

The rumor goes that he and Sister Teresa had something going, but I don't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Eckhart Tolle. Hilary Mantel. Russell Brand!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Roy Keane. For someone from Cork to rise to the pinnacle of English football and now punditry, is quite something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

A beautiful piece of oratory that it always stuck with me impassioned, drew on his own experiences and brought the point home in crystal clear fashion and of course jeremy Corbyn behind him as well.

Advertisement