Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone you really admire.

• 08-01-2021 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Even a cursory glance at this forum shows it's filled with multiple threads dedicated to people posters find annoying, false, irritating, stupid etc. As an occasional visitor I must admit it's not a particularly easy or enjoyable read. The vibe is very much of men in their 30's ranting against a world they never really understood, and now are down right confused and angry about.

So in an effort to lighten the tone I'm asking you to name a person you really admire, and why you admire them.

I'll start. Angela Merkel for me. In my mind the most important person, woman, and European of the 21st century. A towering figure of European politics for the past 20 years. A committed Social/Christian Democrat; a child of the Iron Curtain, a pragmatist, a beer drinker, a fundamentally decent human being. Opinion polls that came out today show she has a 78% approval rating with the German people, and I know people here are starting to hope she reconsiders her decision to retire as Chancellor.

For you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

I’d give Angela one.

Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John.burke

Tiger Woods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Michael O’ Leary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Mark Evans. Fu¢ker can make anything. Talent falling out his hole. Admire him...... And envy him biggly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin.

My former partner grew up in the Soviet Union, and her parents were extremely vocal in their belief that Stalin was the last proper Marxist that has ever lived.

Mark Evans. Fu¢ker can make anything. Talent falling out his hole. Admire him...... And envy him biggly.

Without discovery behind him he would be no where.

Maurice McCabe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Jeremy Corbyn. A decent human being and an accidental leader, who always remained dignified and polite throughout four years of vicious attacks, lies and smears from an establishment that was terrified of the prospect of a fair and just society.

Without discovery behind him he would be no where.

Sure you can say that about every modern famous person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Eddie Jordan for entering the world of Formula 1 and having success in the sport.

Sure you can say that about every modern famous person.

It’s the truth, now carry on with your man crush.

Well I can't now, you ruined it.

.anon. wrote: »
    Jeremy Corbyn. A decent human being and an accidental leader, who always remained dignified and polite throughout four years of vicious attacks, lies and smears from an establishment that was terrified of the prospect of a fair and just society.

On a serious note, Corbyn would be mine too. A fine man.

Tony Been would be another. A man that grew up in wealth, inherited a peerage from his father, fought to renounce his title which led to the Peerage Act of 1963 and spent the rest of his life fighting for the ordinary man and woman.

His speech on Iraq is one of the finest that has been given in Westminster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Generalfeldmarschall Johannes Erwin Eugen Rommel

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Tony Been would be another. A man that grew up in wealth, inherited a peerage from his father, fought to renounce his title which led to the Peerage Act of 1963 and spent the rest of his life fighting for the ordinary man and woman.

I admire Corbyn immensely too, trying to run a party, and elections with both hands tied behind his back by a rabidly hostile PLP and media. Never stood a chance though, and my only criticism would be he maybe should have gone after the first election and that way a left candidate would have had a better chance of succeding him. Anyhoo, still a top bloke.

Tony Benn is mine. I think this diaries are a fantastic read, whether you agree with his politics or not, he was a very thoughtful and principled man.

I have his autograph on a postcard, but apparently his staff would often sign stuff sent from his office, so it might well have never been anywhere near him! :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Steven Seagal, I wish I'd the confidence to pull off a ponytail while doing a sweet roundhouse kick even if his hair is suspiciously black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Obviously Donal Q Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Shakin’ Stevens.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭French Toast

Paraic Nally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Can I be THAT guy and propose Hitler?

Disclaimers:
    Not for his beliefs.
    Not for what he did while in power.

But just specifically I admire the way he rose from being a layabout to being the most powerful man in Europe, through sheer force of personality, charisma and willpower.

I look forward to people twisting my words and implying I'm a nazi sympathiser.

I am referring purely to his skills at manipulating people. I find it fascinating in a morbid way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Can I be THAT guy and propose Hitler?

Disclaimers:
    Not for his beliefs.
    Not for what he did while in power.

But just specifically I admire the way he rose from being a layabout to being the most powerful man in Europe, through sheer force of personality, charisma and willpower.

I look forward to people twisting my words and implying I'm a nazi sympathiser.

I am referring purely to his skills at manipulating people. I find it fascinating in a morbid way.

Thought you were gunna propose Trump. Not that surprised you picked Hitler :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thought you were gunna propose Trump. Not that surprised you picked Hitler :pac:

Are they two peas in a pod do you think? Trump is literally Hitler?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

When I grow up I want to be Bishop Daly in 1972 Derry, facing bullets with nothing but a white handkerchief because that’s what needs to be done and I’m doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Leo Varadkar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Steven Seagal, I wish I'd the confidence to pull off a ponytail while doing a sweet roundhouse kick even if his hair is suspiciously black

The rumor goes that he and Sister Teresa had something going, but I don't believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Eckhart Tolle. Hilary Mantel. Russell Brand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Roy Keane. For someone from Cork to rise to the pinnacle of English football and now punditry, is quite something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

A beautiful piece of oratory that it always stuck with me impassioned, drew on his own experiences and brought the point home in crystal clear fashion and of course jeremy Corbyn behind him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

For me in no particular order

Ruairí Ó Brádaigh
    Daithí Ó Conaill
    Jeremy Corbyn
    Tony Benn
    Alan Shearer
    Johnny Doyle
    Dermot Early
    Shay Given
    Gary Speed
    Muammar Gaddafi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Lemmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I'll start. Angela Merkel for me. In my mind the most important person, woman, and European of the 21st century. A towering figure of European politics for the past 20 years. A committed Social/Christian Democrat; a child of the Iron Curtain, a pragmatist, a beer drinker, a fundamentally decent human being. Opinion polls that came out today show she has a 78% approval rating with the German people, and I know people here are starting to hope she reconsiders her decision to retire as Chancellor.

For you?

As a quick side question, for which I only ask a single reply, rather than de rail the thread.

Why? Why would anybody possible tolerate, let alone laud her, for the disaster of crime, terrorism and welfare dependency she led Germany in to with her handling of the migrant crisis? I do not pretend to know the ins and outs of the German Covid related budget deficit, but I am going to assume Germany would currently be in a more healthy state to see this through if it had not imported so many of these people, all of them in need of state supported housing and many of them still reliant on welfare.

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/12066/germany-rape-crisis

One might correctly point out the above link is from a right wing organisation, but the incidents which it documents are all lifted from, and links given, to mainstream German media. It documents circa 150 incidents of sex offences of varying degrees of severity committed in a given year between January and March alone. Mostly seeming to involve nationalities predominant during the migrant crisis (23 mentions of the word Afghan, 13 Syrian, 4 Pakistan, 9 Morocco, 19 unknown suspects desribed as African or North African, 17 unknowns described as Arab). And these are just the incidents the people compiling this article were able to find via the media.

I just find it astounding that someone who introduced so much destruction and suffering on her own state doesn't have the public calling for her execution, much in the same way Tony Blair is arguably the most hated individual in modern British history. I know from your post history you detest left wing nonsense, so why laud a leader who embraces this kind of lawless thuggery and welfare dependency?

That isn't even to mention what seemed at times to be twice or thrice monthly incidents involving motorists and knifemen attacking random people in the streets, only for the incident to seemingly disappear nowhere and the unnamed assailant to be classed as a German citizen with long standing mental health issues. I take it Germany doesn't have a tradition of investigative journalism.

Anyway. As for the original question. Tyson Fury. Came back from absolute rock bottom, obesity, addiction, depression, didn't let the fact his first fight against Wilder was stolen off him keep him down, came back even harder in the second. A very funny character and seems a good bloke all round (Kinahan incident aside. Boxing isn't black and white, you want to do business you deal with nefarious characters, always been that way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Are they two peas in a pod do you think? Trump is literally Hitler?

Hitler did shoot Hitler in the end.:)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tom Gilmartin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Madonna.
    She came from nowhere to become the most successful woman in music.
    Fought for causes that were not in the public eye after. Controversy after controversy shes still here.And still striving for change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Brother Kevin in the Capuchin Day Centre.

Doing his thing quietly in the background for the homeless and less fortunate like a ****ing boss.

People who can successfully live in a log cabin exactly as they want to live whether by themselves or with their families.

Or someone like Grigori Perelman, a mathematician who solved one of the millennium problems (the Poincaré conjecture IIRC) yet refused the 1 million dollar prize money that goes with solving it. And refused a Fields medal as well.

Leonhard Euler for obvious reasons.

None of them hold a candle to Lena Dunham though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Well, of course mine would have to be Charles Dickens. Writer of many a novel with a happy ending - I know, sometimes its a bit wearing; creator of some absolutely wonderful characters (waits for applause to subside...), tireless campaigner for the rights of the poor - especially for children's education. Created Christmas after the Protestants had killed it. Campaigned to have Christmas Day as a day off for workers in UK and USA.

Bit of a super hero as well, having made two* great escapes from a fatal rail crash, while also helping to tend to the injured.

*Saving his life AND reputation, allegedly. Although I think the truth was already out there. There's a rumour that telegrams about the crash to the press were delayed. Staplehurst for those interested.

much of the above could use some qualification, but it'll do for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Great Expectations was still a long old slog to read though ffs

They all are:eek:.

I think reading Dickens is like reading algebra, but for some perverse reason I absolutely love his style.

Witty as well....

"What do you call it, when Lords break off door-knockers and beat policemen, and play at coaches with other people's money, and all that sort of thing?"

'Aristocratic?' suggested the collector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Donald Trump, an alpha male who rose to the most powerful position in the world despite an entire system designed to prevent him from doing so. The greatest President of the United States in living memory, a powerful figure and so popular it took the biggest voting fraud in history to unseat him. The man, the legend, he grew into something bigger than the man himself. :cool:

theguzman wrote: »
    Donald Trump, an alpha male who rose to the most powerful position in the world despite an entire system designed to prevent him from doing so. The greatest President of the United States in living memory, a powerful figure and so popular it took the biggest voting fraud in history to unseat him. The man, the legend, he grew into something bigger than the man himself. :cool:

You know what, it wouldn't surprise me if in 500 years, some historians actually argue along these lines.

edit to say : I expect you're writing tongue-in-cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Jeremy Corbyn
    Eamonn McCann
    Peadar Tóibín
    Ruairí Ó Brádaigh

People that have the courage to stand up for what they believe in regardless of consequences (I might not agree with them - but i do admire them!)

Jacinta Arden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Bleak House’ is pretty great.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I read David Copperfield and felt like I had read scripture it was that dense. The man doesn't like full stops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

AOC and Nancy Pelosi.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Steve Jobs
    Roy Keane
    David Goggins
    Carl Brashear
    Robert Downey Jnr.
    Meryl Streep

AOC and Nancy Pelosi.

Who is AOC? For a second I thought "Aidan O'Shea" . My master would kill me...

(edit :Unless Mayo have an Argentinian playing for them : Aidan O' Che )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Who is AOC? For a second I thought "Aidan O'Shea" . My master would kill me...

(edit :Unless Mayo have an Argentinian playing for them : Aidan O' Che )

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez.

She is beloved by Irish eternal students who fear having to work for a living and opinions that differ from their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez.

She is beloved by Irish eternal students who fear having to work for a living and opinions that differ from their own.

We work.

Or i do.

I admire people who don't storm govt buildings in a buffalo suit while being an actor ....who is between jobs according to his cousin

• Advertisement
Advertisement