Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what point in life did you decide to spend some real money on a watch?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

When I was a student I paid 800 or so for a breitling colt II.

Sold it after battering for 4 years daily as my only wearer...... for 850 I think and realised that wearing 800 on the wrist is far more fun than 800 in the bank.

I am definitely considering a smaller collection at this point and don’t intend on buying a watch now that I am not convinced I will keep long term. My tastes have gone very specific and niche over the last 12 months and the list of watches I actually want to own and desire has gotten very small indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Cassius99 wrote: »
    There's a lot of truth in what you've said there. There's a couple of pieces I'd absolutely love to own but the idea of just saving with that single goal in mind doesn't appeal to me right now. I'd miss the quirky little pieces that sometimes speak out to me at a certain point in time.
    Plus I'd hate to bypass everything else just to get a grail watch only to be disappointed or underwhelmed by it.

I was always into watches in that I admired from afar but never got into collecting and then ended up heading for my 40th so my wife invited me to do my research and if we could afford it she'd (we'd) get me my dream/grail watch. I therefore went from nothing to a watch I've been and continue to be very happy with 11 years later so in reality I feel I just got lucky that the one I chose has grown on me more and more rather than there being any sort of regrets or coveting of something else.

I did enjoy the research process and whittling my selection down to IIRC the following:-

Cartier - Calibre de Cartier

Cartier1582823127.png
    Edit: Correction from Santos 100 to Calibre de Cartier. :o

Panerai - Luminor GMT

Panerai1582817542.png

Rolex - Milgauss

Milgauss1582817580.png

Rolex - GMT Master II

1584199GMT1582817602.png

When I looked at the four I had narrowed it down to it struck me that I had chosen 2 GMT type watches and 2 steel bracelet type watches with the Rolex GMT II being the only model which ticked both boxes.

I really liked the look and style of the Panerai but I felt it might not age very well style wise (it has aged well IMHO and looking at it again now I'd still love one!!) but I wanted something classic and robust which I could wear everyday yet it would look smart at the odd formal event and would be something I could pass on to my son so I took the plunge, bought the Rolex GMT II and haven't regretted if for a moment since.

I now live my watch collecting activity through my son who will one day get my GMT II. He loves the watch and showed an early curiosity about and appreciation for mechanical movement and design etc so as he's grown up I've bought him:-

The "Bill Gates" Casio MDV106 which was less than £50

Casio1582818927.png

and then as he hit 18 I got him his first automatic movement watch which is an Orient Pepsi MAKO 11 that cost £112 which he absolutely loves.

Orient1582818972.png

Those two will do him until he gets to at least 21 at which point I might, if I can afford it, invest in something else for him, perhaps something like this used Omega Seamaster 300m.

Omega1582819475.png

When the time is right I plan to do a swap with him so I lose my beloved GMT II but still get to wear an Omega Seamaster 300m which I really like :P

Life never works out as planned but that's the plan anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Regarding sons....mine is always wearing my steinhart GMT when he is over and forgots to take it off.

Got him a vostok recently and he loves.....will look to get him a decent Seiko or Steinhart Diver for his 18th (although 42 looks to big so will need to get him a 39mm).

Watches I'm aiming for are a Seamaster and/or a Tudor Blackbay (defo leaning towards the Seamaster....if only feckers stopped posting pics of them :P:D)

Advertisement