Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what point in life did you decide to spend some real money on a watch?

Options
  • 25-01-2020 5:33pm

Not sure if that title conveys what I want to ask, but I'm wondering when it is you guys thought "Yeah, 5k is fine. I can do that."? (I would consider that to be a proper bit of money on your first expensive watch.)

I'm going through a phase I go through every few years and am looking at watches. Don't know if it's the quality of video being put on YT, or the quality of the watches themselves, but I'm getting that feeling that I'm around the age to get something I'll have for the next few decades. "My grandfather had this watch for 40 years and he gave it to me." sort of thing.

My position is pretty simple. 32. Micro company. Still work outside of that. Have savings. No family. No financial worries.

But.. 5k would get me a nice second-hand motorbike. It would get me a lovely trip around Europe. It would get me a some nice things that have tangible benefits more than the difference between a Grand Seiko and a beautiful Seiko 5.

Still, the idea of a watch I'd have forever is appealing instead. When did you decide to jump?

Comments

Today ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112352761&postcount=31

It’s “real money” to me :P as quite simply, previously, max of about 350 euro

Today ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112352761&postcount=31

It’s “real money” to me :P as quite simply, previously, max of about 350 euro

Lovely watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not sure if that title conveys what I want to ask, but I'm wondering when it is you guys thought "Yeah, 5k is fine.

Whoah - hold on! I'm sure almost none of us in here jumped from a cheap watch (worth maybe a few hundred max) to a €5k watch in one step. It's usually a gradual process

But yeah, if you can afford it, why not. And spending €5k on a watch is rarely the same financially as spending the money on a holiday. That money is gone after the holiday. The watch could very well maintain most or even all of its value. Do get a watch of that value insured though. It won't cost much to add it onto your home insurance and it gives great peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Or get a nice quick bike :D

unkel wrote: »
    Whoah - hold on!

Watch fever.. Is that a term? Horolavirus? Something anyways.

I will try to hold on. But some of these Grand Seikos with the macro photography are sublime. Blows my mind that something like that could be on my wrist, just doing its thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Some people just have more money or would rather a watch than a holiday. Personally I reckon about €400 would be the absolute max I would spend. Some people think €5k on a bike is crazy,each to their own. Even if it's a gradual climb, you still have to get there and justify €5k on a wrist which I can't do. If money is no object, I'd have a grand seiko. Look at the amount of new cars around that drop €5k the moment they're driven off the fourcourt, I'd rather a GS and a year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭893bet

Cienciano wrote: »
    Some people just have more money or would rather a watch than a holiday. Personally I reckon about €400 would be the absolute max I would spend. Some people think €5k on a bike is crazy,each to their own. Even if it's a gradual climb, you still have to get there and justify €5k on a wrist which I can't do. If money is no object, I'd have a grand seiko. Look at the amount of new cars around that drop €5k the moment they're driven off the fourcourt, I'd rather a GS and a year old car.

GS loses a fair chunk when you walk out the door also.

For cars and watches buy second hand!

I see watches the same as cash in the bank. A liquid asset that is typically not increasing or decreasing. However a nice watch gives a lot more enjoyment that a few quid in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

21 years old..... Omega SMP (Bond- blue)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair I kinda came at it from a different angle to many, if not most folks and a good few years ago before the watch hobby became a thing. Never really thought of buying a new watch. I just liked "old watches" and kept it to pocketmoney or a couple of hundred quid. It was more a small collecting hobby thing(among others. I'm a terrible magpie hoarder:D). I suppose the only time I did put down "real money", to me at least in this collecting thing, was a 1000 quid for a Heuer Bund. As it turned out that worked out well financially, though I wouldn't really have cared if it didn't. I moved on a few in my time that would be worth a few bob now, but TBH I would prefer the watches than the money if I had the choice. An early enamel dialled Longines Czech being a biggie.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If I had a spare 5k to start all over again I would be buying a few pre owned bits rather than going balls deep in the one watch but each to their own

If I had 5k to spend all over again I'd buy a Rolex Explorer II on the used market and be done with it.

Till I got another itch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

oxocube wrote: »
    If I had 5k to spend all over again I'd buy a Rolex Explorer II on the used market and be done with it.

+1

or my speedy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I haven't gotten to that point. Haven't owned a watch that cost over 250euro yet. Every time I think to myself, yeah I'm going to get something nice for 1k or so... I end up upgrading my PC, fixing the car or now with Baby #2 on the way, expenses for the little one.

But my mate has now got 2 or 3 watches that are all over the 3k mark and every time I see him, I'm checking out the watch. I'm close...very close to going for something that bit nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Presumably it's all a matter of what finances allow. I'm not in a position to spend 100 quid on a watch at this moment in time really but I would have no problem spending 5k on one, or even obtaining a small loan to find a purchase.

A holiday will be done with in 2/3 weeks, 5 grand car might last you 5/6 years. A used Rolex or GS could last you a couple of generation if looked after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I’m currently at that point right now, received a healthy bonus from work so have decided I’m going to treat myself, only issue is I can’t make my mind up what I want, that to me is the hardest part. Will be home in 5 weeks time so have to decide by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

893bet wrote: »
    GS loses a fair chunk when you walk out the door also.

For cars and watches buy second hand!

I see watches the same as cash in the bank. A liquid asset that is typically not increasing or decreasing. However a nice watch gives a lot more enjoyment that a few quid in the bank.

You're right but you see a lot of €50k cars on the road that will be worth €5k in 12 years. For me it's unfortunate, I don't have the money and if I did most of the watches that are holding their value or going up, I'd have no interest in. Except a nautilus, but I'm talking realistic under 10k stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

oxocube wrote: »

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/prize-draw

It could be your lucky day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I’d say about 12 years ago. I had always liked watches but didn’t know much except for the usual big names, then one day in the golf club, a lad was chatting and noticed his watch. I asked about he and he said it was an IWC (Portofino I think) , I said I had never head of them and he said, that they were a brand only watch people know. This made me go look, I joined some forums and learnt more. If I had the money, a IWC Spitfire Chrono would be the grail.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

November 2018. I have always had a love for watches, i still have a 1970s seiko 5 automatic that I got from my grandfather when I was 10 and have now passed it to my son!

Went through tons of cheap watches over the years the longest being a lovely eco drive my wife (then girlfriend) spent a fair few quid for her on, wore that every day for about 6 or 7 years but I always had a thing for tags and used to piss her off every time we walked by a shop window! We were in Amsterdam in November 18 and once again I was looking and she said I wish ya would just buy one, so I did. Spent 2.5k on my then dream watch! Timing was perfect to do it, wedding was done and had a **** ton of savings and feck all to spend it on

It only comes out on special occasions now or if I'm not doing anything that will get it scratched up and I mostly wear my Garman smart watch (that I always swore I'd never get)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I haven't gotten to that point. Haven't owned a watch that cost over 250euro yet. Every time I think to myself, yeah I'm going to get something nice for 1k or so... I end up upgrading my PC, fixing the car or now with Baby #2 on the way, expenses for the little one.

Don't worry about it, all those things are far more important than watches. There are many glorious watches that only cost a few hundred quid that you can afford now anyway. Your time will come to buy a more expensive watch maybe a bit later in life if you fancy one or if you have a windfall, or sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

About ten years when i was 21ish, i hadn't ever even really worn a watch before that and got a tag aquaracer. Which was 2k or so from memory, i got a seamster after that and then a rolex last year, all in that was probably 12k or so but i don't really see it as a having spent a huge amount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

To be honest there are far worse things to spend money on than a nice watch. As the only "acceptable" bit is jewellery most men wear its important to have something you like. Your tastes and resources will change dramatically as time goes by. Its very individual.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Going to try answer the OP's question, it really boils down to 'when' you can afford it. But I can't see myself dropping 5k on a watch anytime soon. So I treated myself to a hirsch strap before Christmas instead.

A roundy birthday might be a good time to splash out.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

Kindof wanted to get a special watch for my wedding there a couple of years ago. Wife got the ring and I was also interested in watches (but not that interested). Decided on something like a Junghans Max Bill, due to being popular on some of the UK forums and me liking it too. Then the eyes started to wander, how about an Oris or Hamilton etc. Eventually ended up with a Speedy MOTM, due in large part to Archie. Very pleased too. I remember seeing new steel Submariner dates for £6k in the shop windows at the time ... If only. Anyway starting to twitch again now.

you seem very easily influenced, i wouldnt listen to archie about anything its purely a comedy but a speedy man on the feckin moon is a nice watch

I think that the MOTM and the seamaster and the sub and the Daytonaand others are classics. People say they lack imagination, but as tastes change classics remain classics and are not susceptible to the vagaries of fashion (mostly because the are never fashonable).

If your selling the MOTM let me know, always wanted one. But honestly you should keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Man on the moon is a must along with a seamaster but the one I don’t like is the aqua terra for some reason

I wasn't gone on the original AT but really like the current gen with the horizontal lines. I'd quite like one like this at some point: https://timeandtidewatches.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Omega-Seamaster-Aqua-Terra-blue-6.jpg

eljono wrote: »
    I wasn't gone on the original AT but really like the current gen with the horizontal lines. I'd quite like one like this at some point: https://timeandtidewatches.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Omega-Seamaster-Aqua-Terra-blue-6.jpg

Yeah that AT is on my list of wants also.

I think that the MOTM and the seamaster and the sub and the Daytonaand others are classics. People say they lack imagination, but as tastes change classics remain classics and are not susceptible to the vagaries of fashion (mostly because the are never fashonable).

If your selling the MOTM let me know, always wanted one. But honestly you should keep it.

You ever in limerick?

Might trade mine for a new set of nashers

893bet wrote: »
    You ever in limerick?

Might trade mine for a new set of nashers

I can travel, but my equipment doesnt...however I would be worth traveling to dublin for and barter is always welcome :D

• Advertisement

I can travel, but my equipment doesnt...however I would be worth traveling to dublin for and barter is always welcome :D

Half tempted. Could badly have done with a few implants. 10 years ago. Well into middle age now and less concerned with it. Will prob regret it!

Advertisement