Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what point in life did you decide to spend some real money on a watch?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Bought mine at the time of the SSIA's.

Said if I'd knuckle down and save the whole lot, I'd bank half and spend the other half on a watch and holiday.

Five years later, bought my Breitling and a 6 week holiday in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm afraid I've never spent big money on a watch, but this guy did, not sure if it's been posted before. Great story and some reaction!

https://time.com/5773619/antiques-roadshow-veteran-rolex-watch/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

893bet wrote: »
    You ever in limerick?

Might trade mine for a new set of nashers

chattering_teeth.gif

Job done and you can afford another watch. Man maths. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I can travel, but my equipment doesnt...however I would be worth traveling to dublin for and barter is always welcome :D
    He lies. I have it on good authority he does hipster dentistry and his equipment is portable.

threeshipspremium.jpg

pliers-250x250.jpg

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭micks_address

Started with me when I was 40. Friends fault really as he had a seamaster 300 and a very nice breitling..I started with a 500 euro steinhart and within 8 months had bought a seamaster aqua Terra. That's my biggest spend and I don't see myself spending more. I have just spent 500 euro on a Seiko diver and my other watch is a gshock all metal which is perfect for less delicate work.

20200114-093606-resized.jpg
    pic host

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

Had always planned on getting a decent watch since I was in college. Had my eye on a Tag Heuer Monaco with the blue face. There was one in the window of the jewellers in the Castletroy Shopping Centre in Limerick that I used to stop and admire on a weekly basis.

I've picked up a couple of watches in the 50 to 200 range over the last number of years but am waiting on delivery of a Speedmaster Professional later this month.

I've pulled the trigger due to a combination of things: land mark birthday late last year, promotion at work around the same time.

I was also getting tired of admiring the watch from afar

I also realised that if I find myself not wearing it or enjoying it I can pass it on so its not a complete loss!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

In the early 2000s I was working for a high tech startup. We were doing our first trade shows round the world SEMICON. There's no point in being a well funded startup if nobody knows it. So we were all dressed in good suits, the first pair of shoes I ever spent more than $250 and a decent watch. The company owner had loaned out his watch collection to us.i was given a Breitling B2, which I liked wearing so I bought one when the show landed in Singapore.
    At the time I wasn't really into watches, I had an orange monster for diving, a Raymond Weil dress watch I was given for my wedding and one of a pair of his and hers ellesse watches we picked up on honeymoon. I still have all those watches.
    My only regret is that at the time I could have just as easily picked up a Rolex, which to be honest would suit my toolwatch simple three hander taste. There's a lot of numbers on a B2 dial.
    I still have the shoes, very comfortable to stand round a trade show for a couple of days, and you can resole them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Got an Oris BC3 for my 30th birthday. Cost me about £700 at the time. I'll be 50 in less than 18 months, so will look at picking up something nice. Thinking of IWC or a Sinn. Better start saving.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

I worked for years with electricity so got out of the habit of wearing watches (never had anything special , just cheap casios/seikos).

Fast forward 20 odd years(man I feel old) and I started to get a pain in me hole checking my phone for the time.

Bit the bullet and bought a Steinhart military 42 and never looked back

As it stands I have 2 steinharts. an orange monster , a casio and a Vostok diver.

2 watches I want are an Seamaster and a Tudor Blackbay , which Ive started saving for.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've had a similar path in watches as yourself. And I'm quite likely going to put my Seamaster up for sale in the next few months. To free up money for a Rolex.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I've had a similar path in watches as yourself. And I'm quite likely going to put my Seamaster up for sale in the next few months. To free up money for a Rolex.

Post a pic and details unkel?

Seamaster 300M professional automatic 41mm Reference 2531.80.00 from around 2011.

The cheapest one currently for sale on chrono24:

Linky

That one is with no box, no papers and from 2008, and more worn then mine and its asking price is €1,650 shipped from the USA, with of course the chance of being stung for customs

Mine is obviously a private sale and I'll be looking for less money than that, to give you an idea. I never had a box, but I did have warranty card and some other papers, but I can't find them. Here's mine on my favourite NATO (I have the original bracelet too)

Seamaster 300M professional automatic 41mm Reference 2531.80.00 from around 2011.

The cheapest one currently for sale on chrono24:

Linky

That one is with no box, no papers and from 2008, and more worn then mine and its asking price is €1,650 shipped from the USA, with of course the chance of being stung for customs

Mine is obviously a private sale and I'll be looking for less money than that, to give you an idea. I never had a box, but I did have warranty card and some other papers, but I can't find them. Here's mine on my favourite NATO (I have the original bracelet too)

Don't see a pic of yours?

Don't see a pic of yours?

You quoted the picture of mine and all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You quoted the picture of mine and all :D

Don't see it myself either. May be a mobile site thing.

Yeah just checked myself on the touch.boards.ie website and it's not there. I guess the graphics on the touch site are very limited and only allow low resolution pictures. Have a look on the proper boards.ie site and my watch will be revealed :D

Not working on desktop for me either. Your post doesn't show an attachment at the bottom like it normally would and following the link in your post gives an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I had dreamed about a certain watch since seeing one as a kid, GMT Pepsi, I thought when I make some money I will buy that one. It got discontinued so I would have to get it second hand. I put my name down in a few places in case one came in second hand and waited.

When I got married my OH said she wanted to get me a gift, we always discuss big expenditure for things not essential. She produced a rolex box and said she had gotten the one I always wanted. I was over the moon, a nice Pepsi GMT, but when I opened it there was an explorer. She still doesnt know but I don't care as it was an amazing gift, once in a lifetime. I love it and its my daily. So that was the point in life I got a real, as you put it, watch.

Few years later the new Pepsi was released in Baselworld, and that day I got my name down for one in and AD and got the call about a year after that. So I got the pepsi in the end, however I still prefer the explorer. Less blingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

At what point in life did you decide to spend some real money on a watch?
    Not even if I had a plethora of funds at my disposal, would I ever be at a point to fritter away "real money" on vanity jewelry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Bought a breitling after I got inheritance from my dad. Always wanted something really special to pass to my son.

Bought a 2nd breitling about 3 years ago because it was totally different from the first.

Have my eye on a 3rd for my 50th birthday but that’s a few years away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Forgot to add that it is a slippery slope when you get your first, they can multiply.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

I managed to score a Rolex Submariner from an AD last year. It’s the date version in black which is nice and simple on my wrist. I have spent money on Breitlings, Tags, Tissot’s and a Tudor and they are all lovely watches but in reality I was trying to curtail my want for a Sub with other less expensive watches. If I had just bitten the bullet 10 years ago I’d have had a lot more wonga in the savings account now!!!

Not working on desktop for me either. Your post doesn't show an attachment at the bottom like it normally would and following the link in your post gives an error.

Just checked and the link is still there in my post, but like you say, somehow the attachment is gone. Anyway I'll try again, with a low res pictures so hopefully it will show up on touch site too :)

501764.jpg

that worked... looks lovely.. is there some blemish on the bezel around 8?

Yes, there is. That's about it though, the watch is in far better condition than the cheapest one on Chrono24 (€1650) that I linked to above.

Here's the one from Chrono24 for comparison:

501765.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Not even if I had a plethora of funds at my disposal, would I ever be at a point to fritter away "real money" on vanity jewelry.

So why comment on the *squints* Watches and Timepieces forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Birneybau wrote: »
    So why comment on the *squints* Watches and Timepieces forum?

To be edgy innit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭893bet

Just checked and the link is still there in my post, but like you say, somehow the attachment is gone. Anyway I'll try again, with a low res pictures so hopefully it will show up on touch site too

Looks the part! Omega on nato is the tits.

I have a new nato (well new to be) incoming from TZ for my sky fall! I am hoping it’s gonna look the nuts!

• Advertisement
Advertisement