Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Hi All can anyone recommend a good vegan/vegetarian restaurant/cafe in or near Limerick city, (breakfast,lunch or dinner) my doctor put me on a whole food plant based diet which is basically vegan, I'm going to Limerick Thursday to Saturday I searched on Google but it's years old
    any help greatly appreciated
    Dlb

I don't think there is one, but pretty much every restaurant will have vegetarian dishes on their menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Hi All can anyone recommend a good vegan/vegetarian restaurant/cafe in or near Limerick city, (breakfast,lunch or dinner) my doctor put me on a whole food plant based diet which is basically vegan, I'm going to Limerick Thursday to Saturday I searched on Google but it's years old
    any help greatly appreciated
    Dlb

I think there is a small cafe on Cecil street next to the pet shop that is vegan/vegtarian, can't remember the name of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Thanks for the replies
    we are home again now, had a really good time, lovely grub and pints in The Bailey stayed in The George can't fault it I rang ahead to tell the chef I was coming and had a lovely dinner
    Thanks again
    Dlb

Delish

Went out to Delish on Saturday with the wife, we were out that side of town and were hungry, had eaten there before and thought it would be nice, boy were we wrong.

They have a new menu, it's not good at all. It's complicated and huge, two things a good menu shouldn't be.

I had a burger which was supposed to have a spicy relish on it, the burger was dry, and flavourless, and I could barely taste the relish on the burger, and it was far from spicy. (€10.50)

My wife had a pasta dish with chicken, it came out and looked like it should have been a children's portion. So we called the waitress over (fantastic waitress, she was not happy at all with the new menu) and gave out about it, sent it back saying that we wouldn't be paying the €10 odd, they had the cheek to charge for it. It came back a few minutes later, twice the size (a proper portion of pasta), she started eating it and quickly realised that the chicken was precooked and reheated!!!! It wasn't even freshly cooked. It was disgraceful.

The worst part about it was, we went to pay, the guy said the usual, "Was everything okay?" We relayed our experience, he said "Oh that's terrible, very sorry about that, that'll be €25". :eek::eek::eek: We just told this guy we had a terrible experience (left more than half our meals) and he didn't even have the cop on to comp/discount our meals. :mad:

I used to like the place, but will not be going back after that experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Always liked The Bambu - now it's perfect !!!! Had the Vindaloo ( was asked if I'd had it before as it may be hot ... :) ) - it was delicious. Very hot but not mental - yummy, and lots of potato ....

Gonna get something else there tonight on the way home after work ... the menu is HUGE now ...

Tried the new Bambu twice recently.

Must say, it's fantastic. Better than it was before the horrendous Italian experiement.

€10 for starter, main course and drink at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Not sure if someone has mentioned it already but regarding the restaurants on page 1, the country kitchen has been closed down for a while now.

I also would like to add that I've been to wok upstairs in arthurs quay many times and I thought the food was delicious. Ok it's more expensive than wokking but I've found the quality of wokking has declined dramatically in the last two years or so to the point that I barely recognise it as the place I used to go to ritualistically when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

2 lunches (chicken goujons and mash, and enchiladas with chips ), 2 cocktails, 1 desert, all for only 34 euro in Texas Steakout. Must say, it was fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

Will be heading to limerick for 3 days midweek in July with my wife and 4 kids.Wondering if there are any Chinese restaurants doing the all you can eat buffet.Or any other recommendations for Reasonably prices restaurants that are good with kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the Jasmin Palace on O'Connell Street run a buffet but it's only on Sunday afaik.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Peony Court do a lunch buffet all week, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Had dinner last night with my partner in the Red Onion on the top of O'Connell street. We had tickets booked for a show in the belltable at 8 and I wanted t book somewhere near. I had only heard bad reviews of the red onion to be honest but said we would give it a go.

We were both quite pleasantly suprised, everything from booking a table(45 mins prior) to the end of the meal was excellent. It did not feel like a basement, service was friendly and efficient, and the food was great with a slight twist on the way most places do things. Beleive me there was no ready made crap from Pallas foods served here(IMO). Would recommend it to others which says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Red Onion is a great spot. Yer man who runs it is a class act, makes you feel very welcome and has a lovely manner about him. Knows his wine too.

New or recently opened restaurants seemed to get a bad name from the off on here.

Marco Polos was torn to shreds but I've eaten there three times in the last three months and couldn't fault it (they had the nicest duck I've had outside of the south of France) and it's been very busy in there each time, I'd say they're doing well for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

OK the past few days i've been overcome with a craving for chicken wings but not just any old chicken wings. If any one has had the ones in the Hamptons they know the ones i'm talking about. A kind of sweet and spicy sauce yet the wings are a little crispy. Anyway my question is does anyone know anywhere in limerick that do similar wings but to take away??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

djdunny wrote: »
    OK the past few days i've been overcome with a craving for chicken wings but not just any old chicken wings. If any one has had the ones in the Hamptons they know the ones i'm talking about. A kind of sweet and spicy sauce yet the wings are a little crispy. Anyway my question is does anyone know anywhere in limerick that do similar wings but to take away??

Never had them from there. I know this might sound mad but Lidl wings are very good and also has a sweet & spicy taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Take a trip to Cork and go to Hillbillys

Mc Love wrote: »

I know hillbillys all too well and they don't do the kind of wings in looking for. I may be wrong. Also hillbillys is in Ennis so don't need to go as far as cork for a breast in a bun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

djdunny wrote: »

I know hillbillys all too well and they don't do the kind of wings in looking for. I may be wrong. Also hillbillys is in Ennis so don't need to go as far as cork for a breast in a bun :)
    What? There's a hillbillies in ennis

What? There's a hillbillies in ennis

Yup on O'Connell st I think. Just up the road from Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hitsugaya252

"Dining Room"
    In Glen Tarven, Between Henry Street and O'Connell..
    Buffet= 8.95 dinner, 6.95 lunch,
    3 Course Meal= 8.95 too (between 12-7)
    Table= Excellent Service and food!!

And the waiter there is simply awesome ;)

Take Away as well as Free Delivery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Boruma

Skintwin wrote: »
    Cafe Noir on Robert Street is brilliant. They do lunch...mostly soup and sandwiches, but they do things like quiche and bruschetta too. They're open late on Friday and Saturday (until 12) and they operate as a tapas and wine place. And the cofee's great too :D

I had lunch here too..and it was the nicest salad I have ever had everything in it for 7e chicken salmon feta cheese.. and sauces of your choice definitely will be lunching again.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

ah, did not know this about cafe noir. a good salad can't be beaten....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

i'll second cafe noir salad is fab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I had dinner in the Red Onion lately and wouldn't recommend it. The food was average and some of the staff were overbearing. I did howver find the decor quite nice and the desert was good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭jfh

had planned on going to freddys but didn't relise it was closed on sunday, went instead to the french table, didn't know much about the place, very impressed with friendliness of staff and quality of food. top quality all round, will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 runlily

im surprised u didnt like red onion, ive been several times in the last 2 years and have never had a bad meal, i love the decor and the staff are friendly and aim to please. the food is not pre 'prepared' and is fresh, i think a lot of the newer restaurants are more 'pub gruby' but this one is definately a bit different. Try it again !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

Been in the red onion about 2 months ago or more and it was nothing short of brutal,service was poor and food was cold and we had a long wait...couldnt complain as my other half knew the waitress.

Freddys is top class food is fab and lovely atmosphere.

Belle Italia is very nice too.staek on a stone YUM!!

Cornstore is very nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Was at Texas Steakout the other night. Was delighted to see they have really upped their game. Great food, good, quick service and lovely atmosphere. The music isn't at loud as it used to be, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

jakko86 wrote: »
    Been in the red onion about 2 months ago or more and it was nothing short of brutal,service was poor and food was cold and we had a long wait...couldnt complain as my other half knew the waitress.

Freddys is top class food is fab and lovely atmosphere.

Belle Italia is very nice too.staek on a stone YUM!!

Cornstore is very nice too.

I've only been to the Red Onion once (about a month ago), and it wasn't that good. The food was perfectly edible, but dull. There were a number of minor annoyances (no pepper on the table, got seated at one of the worst tables although the place was empty, and other things I can't remember).

Overall it was a irritating place, and I felt they didn't understand how to run a restaurant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

So whats the best Indian takeout in limerick?....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

deadeye187 wrote: »

Poppadom, Indira, or Mogul Emporer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Poppadom I like but it can be hit and miss.

Copper & Spice I love but can be very expensive.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Poppadom, Indira, or Mogul Emporer.

Snd man, thanks so much, i go to "meal maza" across from killmurry lodge!...its ok..but i want a really good one. I`ll try all of the above.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

Mogul Emporer

Haven't been in a while but last few times I had Indira I thought it had gone down hill...... More sauce and less meat, I used to love it but now I'll make the trip into town for poppadom.

So its poppadom or mogul then...i look forward to trying them both...Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Was in Paparazi (just off cruises street) the other morning, very nice, defiantly going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

source wrote: »
    Haven't been in a while but last few times I had Indira I thought it had gone down hill...... More sauce and less meat, I used to love it but now I'll make the trip into town for poppadom.

noticed they've rebranded, so sanji might be gone, indira is now Bindia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Noticed that the guy who's always there in the blue merc people car is still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Does anyone know if theres a japanese restaraunt somewhere in limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭phog

gotasmoke wrote: »
    Mogul Emporer

If you like sauce and veg because they seem to have cut back on their meat in their take away dishes, stopped going there about 12 months ago. We now use the one on O'Connell St, opp the Texas Steakout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Don't forget that The Bambu ( overhead the Steakout ) has Indian food on it's menu along with Thai ! And yummy it is too ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TheGunns wrote: »
    Does anyone know if theres a japanese restaraunt somewhere in limerick?

Unfortunately no :(
    There was a Hibachi grill in the Jasmine @10yrs back and thats the closest I've ever come across.
    Ze We Ton do offer some Sushi and Yaki Soba but nothing I'd consider as anything more than a novelty addition.
    I know Poppadom in Annacotty also used to do a 1 night a month Sushi night which used to be fairly good maybe they still do similar?

A good quality japanese restaurant(and not just sushi/sashimi) would be a great addition here but on the other hand I wonder how many people would actually frequent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

banie01 wrote: »
    Unfortunately no :(
    There was a Hibachi grill in the Jasmine @10yrs back and thats the closest I've ever come across.
    Ze We Ton do offer some Sushi and Yaki Soba but nothing I'd consider as anything more than a novelty addition.
    I know Poppadom in Annacotty also used to do a 1 night a month Sushi night which used to be fairly good maybe they still do similar?

A good quality japanese restaurant(and not just sushi/sashimi) would be a great addition here but on the other hand I wonder how many people would actually frequent one.

Would love one here as the food is a nice alternative and even to find sushi anywhere is a struggle. Any chance you know where to closest one would be? Only one I know of is the one in dundrum and thats not all much :(

Hopefully one will open soon but it may be some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

Anyone experienced this place yet? It was due to open August 1st, I can't seem to find a website for them. They have a deal with pigsback.com at the moment.

Thanks

Just had my first taste of Mogul and it was really really good, portions was really big loads of meat and price was great!........Thanks for putting me on to this people, now i have to give poppadom a try!........Its a hard life!...:-)

I had breakfast in Petit Paris on Henry St recently after reading a suggestion on here. I ordered a full irish and I was disappointed because almost everything on the plate was deep fried and over cooked. I expected a bit more from the food but the service was good. They also have a selection of breads and pastries which might be a better option from a french styled cafe.

I had breakfast in Petit Paris on Henry St recently after reading a suggestion on here. I ordered a full irish and I was disappointed because almost everything on the plate was deep fried and over cooked. I expected a bit more from the food but the service was good. They also have a selection of breads and pastries which might be a better option from a french styled cafe.

Oh. Quite possibly I'm the one who suggested it. I've tried Petit Paris twice - had tea + pastry first time, then a crêpe or pancake or something like that the second time. Each time fairly good.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Oh. Quite possibly I'm the one who suggested it. I've tried Petit Paris twice - had tea + pastry first time, then a crêpe or pancake or something like that the second time. Each time fairly good.

I'd like to try the crêpes, maybe they just do a bad fry :)

I'd like to try the crêpes, maybe they just do a bad fry :)

And I remember now: the lady who seemed to be the manager had a bit of an accent which was maybe French (or maybe I was imagining it — not good with accents). If so, that might explain lack of quality control re fry-up (the French don't seem to fry things much).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

TheGunns wrote: »
    Would love one here as the food is a nice alternative and even to find sushi anywhere is a struggle. Any chance you know where to closest one would be? Only one I know of is the one in dundrum and thats not all much :(

Hopefully one will open soon but it may be some time.

The gourmet deli run by the Cornstore on Thomas street (not sure of the name of the place) do Sushi on certain days of the week. Looks like the real deal too.

Advertisement