Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elephone p7000 $159 on preorder

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

P8000 on pre order now,p7000 got very lame reviews ,bending,red spots on screen,etc

Yeah, I made the mistake of pre-ordering the P8000 on June 4th.
    And http://www.elephone.cc/ immediately took the money, even though it's not due to be released until July 20th.

So I e-mailed and they offered to cancel... still haven't got official confirmation that they are cancelling yet... I sent an e-mail on Thursday.

Also, the P8000 has worse specs...
    No "OTG" support - I'm buying a "Seek Thermal" infrared camera and it won't support that.
    Also not gorilla glass screen etc, slower CPU, etc.

So I'll be going for the P7000.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Did you get the phone? How is it? Battery?

Yes got it earlier this week. Because of a production delay by Elephone, Allbuy.net gave me a $10 voucher AND they paid me back $10 into my PayPal, even though it was not their fault.

I also got lucky that the phone was not intercepted by customs

I'm no fan of Android, but performance of the phone is excellent, almost on a par with Samsung S5 / HTC One M8 / Oneplus One

And build quality is pretty decent. For a phone that didn't cost me much more than €100 that is simply amazing! Battery seems to last very well too.

Just did the AnTuTu benchmark and got 40,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

After the voucher and refund, that's a cracking deal. Does battery lasts easily for a day?
    unkel wrote: »
    Yes got it earlier this week. Because of a production delay by Elephone, Allbuy.net gave me a $10 voucher AND they paid me back $10 into my PayPal, even though it was not their fault.

I also got lucky that the phone was not intercepted by customs

I'm no fan of Android, but performance of the phone is excellent, almost on a par with Samsung S5 / HTC One M8 / Oneplus One

And build quality is pretty decent. For a phone that didn't cost me much more than €100 that is simply amazing! Battery seems to last very well too.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Does battery lasts easily for a day?

Sure looks like it. Playing with it for a few hours at the moment and battery is still at 93%

Unbelievably there is also decent support and forums for this phone. I've already rooted it, stuck on CWM and flashed a custom ROM. And I hadn't done any of that stuff in about 5 years :D

This phone is a bargain at €200 shipped. At just over €100 it is unreal value for money...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Hi Unkel, any site(s) you'd recommend for info on the rooting and flashing custom ROM etc..?

The Elephone forum :)

Linky

:D Thanks, I should have thought to look in there :rolleyes:

Just noticed when I'm charging the phone, the fingerprint scanner doesn't work when I'm trying to unlock it. Anyone else have this happen?

Elephone have released a flash app. Aptly called "EleFlash" :D

It lets you backup your phone, download a rom and flash your phone. Cool stuff!

(phone must be rooted)

Have installed it and it seems to work too, although I haven't gone through with flashing as the only rom it has is the one I have already currently on the phone (29/06/2015). Their support and regular release of roms etc. is pretty comforting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Green save I think ! I stopped right there
    hi,ref above,for e 141 via gearbest,i purchased a k3 note,impressive specs,good reviews,dual sim etc,13 mp camera,android 5,was trying for a p8000,glad i changed my mind,as the p7000 has better specs,but went for the leonovo,as ppl all over the globe have problems getting their elephones delivered,most v late,if at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 stephenbrett

My black P7000 finally shipped with DHL yesterday so should have it by the end of the week, glad I never cancelled now. Looking forward to getting my hands on the phone after weeks of waiting. If anyone is thinking of ordering one - think stock levels finally ok now. The other options in the price bracket are the Ulefone Be Touch 2 and Mlais M7 - both have great reviews and similar specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

My black P7000 finally shipped with DHL yesterday so should have it by the end of the week, glad I never cancelled now. Looking forward to getting my hands on the phone after weeks of waiting. If anyone is thinking of ordering one - think stock levels finally ok now. The other options in the price bracket are the Ulefone Be Touch 2 and Mlais M7 - both have great reviews and similar specs.

Where did you buy from and how long did delivery take?
    Post a review when you get her up and going....best of luck with it!

I just received my P7000 from FocalPrice yesterday.
    I had express shipping, so that usually means going through customs.
    So I had to pay an extra €57.20 for the $229 phone & $10 shipping.

I mostly trusted FocalPrice before, from multiple small gadget purchases.

First impressions... good.
    Although I haven't put a SIM in it yet, but all the WiFi/internet functions work fine without one.

Pros:
    • Camera seems good, nice detail in the 13Mp photos. I tried a panorama photo, but I had moved a little as I took it, so there were some minor visible image issues, part of a car repeated where it shouldn't.
    • Once connected to WiFi it immediately downloaded its updates
    • Seems fast enough although my battery went from around 70% to 15 after a full day of setting it up, downloading updates, configuring etc
    • Seems solidly built and free of the usual rubbish from the likes of Samsung. It had over 11Gb free to start with.
    • The manual is surprisingly well written in English despite being from China
    • Seems to support 5Ghz Wifi mode, but I don't have a 5Gb Wifi router
    • It's fast. Scrolling through a large Dropbox photo album it downloads and displays the thumbnail photos with only a slight delay in realtime
    • Case was included, and has a circular cutout where a nice analog clock can be displayed on the screen
    • It's at least half the price of a Samsung S6 !

Cons
    • I can't find where to turn off the phone vibrate when I hit a key.
    • The menu and back buttons are not printed or lit at the bottom of the phone, they're there... but invisible and you just have to hit and hope !
    • When I had multiple applications downloading/installing from the Google playstore, it seemed to crash once
    • No UK plug for the charger
    • They give you a sheet of Gorilla glass separately, but you have to install it yourself
    • The camera is located right at the top of the phone, which is awkward for holding the phone with two hands
    • The "TouchPal" keyboard, if you like installing it, seems to show a tiny keyboard which can't be increased in size
    That's first impressions after 12 hours if it helps anyone.
    No buyers remorse so far.

No customs charges so? The $300 you paid is very good value for the phone, although I paid less than half that for mine :p

Very impressive piece of kit for the money, I got a 44k antutu score, which is on a par with the current flagship phones from the major manufacturers (only the oneplus one and a few others score a little bit higher). Also got over 60mbps wifi, bog standard Lollipop, didn't use any app to improve wifi speeds, which was pretty good I think! Lots of support for the phone, I rooted the phone, installed CWM and flashed a newer ROM from a zip on my sd card soon after I got the phone. All worked fine.

You'll get used to the non displaying buttons very quickly. A UK plug for the charger would set you back a couple of quid on eBay (or just force the EU plug). Touch with the Gorilla glass attached was not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

I bought mine in gearbest, from the UK warehouse, delivered to parcelmotel.
    I had it delivered to Dublin in 4 days. And as it was coming from UK, no customs.

209 dolars. (Yes, dolars) plus 11 for shipping or so.
    An it came with plug adapter from european to UK.

The charger it comes with is crap, it is only 1A, better spend some money and get at least a 2A one.

The glass it comes with is not the gorilla. the gorilla is in the phone. That one is a screen protector. It comes with an extra screen protector (old style, plastic one) to be installed, and one already installed.
    I only flashed osremix (can be found in xdadevelopers or in the elehpone forums) as it is almost the stock, but with root.
    Rooting it, it falied, so had to flash it. The other roms have problems (camera, fingerprint reader, etc)

Very happy with phone for the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Can everyone who bought these comment on the GPS. Does it work properly?

I had a Jiayu G4 with Mediatek processor, but have veered away from Mediatek processors since the GPS was unusable.

I opted instead for Xiaomi Redmi 2 with Snapdragon cpu.

The Mediatek phones are brilliant value, but the lack of GPS keeps me from buying until they fix that issue

GPS is fine. I used it with Viewranger app with Irish OSI maps for hiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Is the phone stable?
    Does it freeze or reboot?
    What about battery life?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

GPS is fine. I used it with Viewranger app with Irish OSI maps for hiking.

Hopefully they've fixed all the issues on the latest chips so

Anyone else notice that connecting to a Wifi network is taking approx 10 seconds?
    Just seems a little longer than my old Samsung S4.

And the dialer app (making calls) was acting up a little too just now.
    I was in a call, but it sort of hung, but I was able to go back into the app and return to the call in progress, to hang up.

Also, I had to put my SIM card in SIM slot #2, because it wasn't recognised in Sim slot #1. Would've thought you need to use slot #1 first.

Sometimes when I wake up the phone/turn on the screen, sometimes the fingerprint reader doesn't seem to want to response, have to use the alternative pin.

A few little gripes so far, on day 2 of real use.
    Nothing that can't be resolved via software updates I imagine.
    ( I did get the latest updates when I first connected to Wifi )

• Advertisement

You flashed the latest firmware? I tested both sims in mine (after the flash) and both worked. Had to program in the imeis for both sims in engineering mode first though after I flashed because that made them disappear :D

You flashed the latest firmware? I tested both sims in mine (after the flash) and both worked. Had to program in the imeis for both sims in engineering mode first though after I flashed because that made them disappear :D

No, I didn't.
    I just connected the phone to Wifi and let it download the updates.
    I'm using the stock os/ui.
    unkel wrote:
    I rooted the phone, installed CWM and flashed a newer ROM from a zip on my sd card soon after I got the phone.

I see you've been braver than me at installing alternative roms.
    I need a working phone at the moment, so was more risk averse to installing CWM.

I just used the official Elephone ROM (just a newer version than was on the phone), but indeed I bought the phone to have a play with it, rooting etc. :D

Fingerprint scanner seemed to be giving me hassle soon after receiving the phone, so decided to delete the scans I made, and scan my 2nd last finger a few times (right hand) as it seems only my thumbs and 1st 2 fingers manage to get cuts from work :rolleyes: Works every time now :D

Regularly check for OTA updates, have had 2 so far, none lately, am stuck on 5.0, want to update further as miss being able to move my apps to the card.

If I go down the root route, will I miss anything from the latest original Elephone update ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Rooting a phone doesn't change the rom or layout persay, it just gives you greater access to android and to use specific apps.

Major issue with the battery the last few days. It just dies, 100% flat, after showing at 99% a few mins beforehand.

First happened midweek, wasn't sure if I left wifi on overnight, so charged it up to 100%, data off, wifi off, bluetooth off. Left it unused (using another phone in the meantime).

Following morning, dead.

Yesterday I went through all permissions for the 130+ apps installed, set all to Always Deny, charged fully, left at PC not being used. Still 100% today after work. Just checked now, dead again, and takes 5 mins or so before the battery image appears to show it's charging.

Anyone else having this problem? Hopefully it's just the battery and not the phone. Haven't rooted or modified in any way, and have the latest OTA update installed (last week).

Will contact Gearbest now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭little foot

Hopefully just the battery. Sounds like it anyways

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Major issue with the battery the last few days. It just dies, 100% flat, after showing at 99% a few mins beforehand.

I haven't had that issue.
    But my phone did abruptly shutdown at 15% battery level on the first charge.
    Seems others had that problem, some turned off the "intelligent battery saver" feature in the battery settings.

I started with a full charge this morning, and it's at 93% now after about 20 mins web browsing and 30 mins with bluetooth on (paired with the car). It's predicting 1 day & 10 hours power remaining.

So I think the battery statistics are settling down, and I'll probably just get a day out of a full charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Ah the joys of buying Chinese phones..

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

Will charge 100%, disable the battery saver setting and see if there's any positive change.

:confused::)

Advertisement