Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl e-scooter this week

Options

Comments

The small wheels and safety, road usage and quality of Irish roads I'm sure is a legitimate negative for purchasing/using them but seems to be overstated and the go to response and argument used here. The roads here are not that bad.

Lisbon has widespread government supported rental e-scooter system similar to the dublin bikes, you will barely see a street without someone using one and the rental spots very frequent. The roads in the city are atrocious, narrow, cobbled and when I say hilly, it is putting it mildly, yet an awful lot of people use them and is very successful. And this is a far more densely populated city than Dublin. We do everything we can in Ireland to hinder and block initiative and progress in making things more convenient for people. Uber? No. Lyft? No. Airbnb? Lets regulate and tax into red tape hell to the point of where its not worth doing for many. Planning permission etc....list goes on.
    I realise this is not all about Dublin but I am just using it as it is probably the one of the areas in this country where they are most needed and would be most welcomed because public transport here is atrocious in terms of service, reliability, availability and atrociously expensive.

Although legalising them seemed to be in the pipeline I'd fear these will most likely result in requiring taxation and licensing (along with ebikes after a review) and will die a death causing further congestion and mayhem.

I'd be all for hoping that it doesn't come to that but too often as you say it seems that the Irish way out is to tax new things at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

glasso wrote: »
    all the same points apply for this folding e-bike - thinking of getting this model

much better and safer wheel size imo, gears, range and for me it looks a lot better.

more expensive, but not prohibitively so.

heavier but would not be carrying it over long distances

https://www.fiido.com/d4s

I have the Fiido D1 (same bike minus the shock on the back)

Awkward as hell to carry on public transport, doesn't fold completely flat so not a great shape to fit in a boot.

17KG with its shape is too awkward to carry up and down apartment stairs.

Also as mentioned already it's more of a scooter than a bike, if you run out of juice you will have a very hard time cycling it with the tiny wheels.

the d4 has 20 inch spoked-wheels, not 14 inch ones like the d1

it's quite a different bike

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Now that I'm hooked on e-commuting, I think this will be my next purchase

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/SYL-08-Electric-Skateboard-Off-Road-With-Remote-Control-Black-392971.html

No illegality here... sure it's just a skateboard boss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,297 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mrcheez wrote: »
    Now that I'm hooked on e-commuting, I think this will be my next purchase

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/SYL-08-Electric-Skateboard-Off-Road-With-Remote-Control-Black-392971.html

No illegality here... sure it's just a skateboard boss ;)

That’s a mountain board not a skate board ;)

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s a mountain board not a skate board ;)

It's a board with skate trucks...a skate board if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

I've done around 500km on a Mi 365 scooter.
    Great mode of transport for short journeys if you don't need to drive.
    Never had any issues or concerns over using it over poor surfaces/cycle lanes; just watch your surrounding & you will be fine.

They are an even better prospect for commute to work over a bike as shower/changing facilities are closed due to COVID-19 concerns for the foreseeable.

the d4 has 20 inch spoked-wheels, not 14 inch ones like the d1

it's quite a different bike

Regardless it's still too heavy and and there is no locking mechanism to close it. You'd eventually injure yourself carrying it upstairs.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Regardless it's still too heavy and and there is no locking mechanism to close it. You'd eventually injure yourself carrying it upstairs.

It's only 18kg :p and I'll won't be planning on bringing it up stairs ever really.-

Main reason is that I would use it for some longerish 5 mile commutes regularly and for hills where a scooter just doesn't cut the mustard.

Also the e-bikes will stay more under the radar I believe compared to scooters even though some are throttle-based.

It's only 18kg :p and I'll won't be planning on bringing it up stairs ever really.-

Main reason is that I would use it for some longerish 5 mile commutes regularly and for hills where a scooter just doesn't cut the mustard.

Also the e-bikes will stay more under the radar I believe compared to scooters even though some are throttle-based.

Lucky for you :) for me I live on the 4th floor with no elevator. 18KG is fine to lift irregularly , however over time you can injure yourself (10/20 times per week)

I'd only consider a Brompton in the future the Chinese foldies are a bit of a joke really.

Let us know how you get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Carlow man

What about electric mobility scooters are they going to bring in a law for then to be taxed and insured

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Carlow man wrote: »
    What about electric mobility scooters are they going to bring in a law for then to be taxed and insured

Invalid carriages are specifically exempted.
    "invalid carriage" means a mechanically propelled vehicle the weight unladen of which does not exceed 6 cwt. and which is specially designed and constructed for the use of persons suffering from a physical defect or disability and which is used solely by such persons;

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Sorry to hijack an old ish thread but I feel this is the right place for this. Anyone know much about this scooter? Seems like good value at €280 given the 22km range. Specs seem very limited though, no mention of top speed. Attachment not found.

paruss100 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack an old ish thread but I feel this is the right place for this. Anyone know much about this scooter? Seems like good value at €280 given the 22km range. Specs seem very limited though, no mention of top speed. Attachment not found.

No idea on that one, but I'm still using my Lidl one from last year almost daily.

Bear in mind that the range may not actually be 22km (or at least it might for a few weeks) but will probably default to around 15km... which is still impressive!

Loving my one anyway.. great for getting up to the shops and back in around 15mins, vs using up a full hour walking, or having to drive up and find parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Dutchy

Out of genuine interest as I'm thinking of buying one myself. Where do you park the scooter when going to the shop? The risk of theft is real I'd imagine. Or do you carry it in with you or otherwise?

Dutchy wrote: »
    Out of genuine interest as I'm thinking of buying one myself. Where do you park the scooter when going to the shop? The risk of theft is real I'd imagine. Or do you carry it in with you or otherwise?

I used to own one and I used to just fold it up and lock it like a bike, with a bike lock through the back wheel. But sometimes I would just carry it into the shop with me if I wasn’t stopping for long.

mrcheez wrote: »
    No idea on that one, but I'm still using my Lidl one from last year almost daily.

Bear in mind that the range may not actually be 22km (or at least it might for a few weeks) but will probably default to around 15km... which is still impressive!

Loving my one anyway.. great for getting up to the shops and back in around 15mins, vs using up a full hour walking, or having to drive up and find parking.

Thanks, yeah used to have an m365 which said it got 30km but was really closer to 25. 15 ish would be plenty for me though with my commute. Anyone bring these on Irish rail?

Carry it into the shop

Thanks, yeah used to have an m365 which said it got 30km but was really closer to 25. 15 ish would be plenty for me though with my commute. Anyone bring these on Irish rail?

I've carried mine everywhere and never had issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ive seen lads put their basket on the bed of the scooter and walk it around Tesco. Works well it seems.

You just need to be aware of your larger footprint while carrying the folded scooter (i.e. keep it in a straight line and careful when rotating on the spot so you don't knock into anyone or anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Heavy enough to carry around while shopping.

Gewicht

13 kg (inklusive Batterie)

As mrcheez says so "you don't knock into anyone or anything" .

Cerco wrote: »
    Heavy enough to carry around while shopping.

Gewicht

13 kg (inklusive Batterie)

As mrcheez says so "you don't knock into anyone or anything" .

yeah... wouldn't do the weekly shop on it, but really just handy if you need to pop in for 5 minutes to grab lunch or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ablelocks

is this definitely on sale tomorrow - can't find it on the lidl site

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ablelocks wrote: »

They had them in Lidl Finglas last month for €229.

My 10 year old still uses his daily. Range has dropped but maybe i'm more aware of this due to the EV i have and constant monitoring of Battery related stuff!

ablelocks wrote: »

Take a look at the PDF catalog, it doesn’t seem to appear in the special buys but is there in the catalog and hasn’t been “redded out”. https://www.lidl.ie/leaflet/thur-29th-wed-5th-april-2021-ie/view/flyer/page/32

Not sure it’s the same model, this one seems to have a longer range than some of the previous models. This one also is a bit more expensive.
    Gumbo wrote: »
    They had them in Lidl Finglas last month for €229.

My 10 year old still uses his daily. Range has dropped but maybe i'm more aware of this due to the EV i have and constant monitoring of Battery related stuff!

FYI is in stock, just purchased one. First observation is it’s not terribly well boxed, seems to have fallen out of it already after loading into the car!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not sure it’s the same model, this one seems to have a longer range than some of the previous models. This one also is a bit more expensive.

You’re right.
    This one appears different as it had a hand rear brake and increased range alright.

The previous one was a Doc Green ESA800 Model.

Advertisement