Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slave Trader Edward Colston's statue torn down in Bristol

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I think the most confusing part of this whole affair is Piers Morgan actually being in favour of pulling down the statue.

That's just weird

not really, he usually has wrong opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

listermint wrote: »
    These statues were erected just over hundred years ago. And in the states many of them within living memory
    .they'd one purpose and it wasn't history.

I know, just like many other statues and monuments around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

When does it become acceptable for me to destroy something I find offensive?

when the politically left arm of twitter agrees with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,060 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

English people's knowledge of their history is shocking. They have such fascinating breadth and depth of history and cultures, it's a real shame.

Same here. Ask an average Irish person about historical figures like Parnell or O'Connell and they wouldn't have much detail on them.

Irish love to slag off Brits about their lack of historical knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

By "it", I mean the culture war and not the removal of the statue.

I don't see anything good in grown men spewing poisonous nonsense on the internet. That's why the culture war is BS IMO.

You might call it a culture war but I'd call it libertarians playground.

All of this messing around is being cultivated by very very wealthy individuals and organisations. Money to be made in mayhem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't see anything good in grown men spewing poisonous nonsense on the internet. That's why the culture war is BS IMO.

Its a vicious circle and helps drive allot of the bile. Look at what is done in America and how things have gone.

It wasn't the only factor but its helped contribute to the polarization over there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well more British people probably learnt more about the dark parts of their empire by this simple act than they did in school.

I doubt it. Anybody interested this sort of thing is probably well aware of Britain's slavery-exploiting past already.

If it does spur on some sort of conversation on the subject then that can only be a good thing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,980 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

But the protests generally and removing the statue are surely part of the culture war.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Same here. Ask an average Irish person about historical figures like Parnell or O'Connell and they wouldn't have much detail on them.

I'd completely disagree with this statement tbh.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Its a vicious circle and helps drive allot of the bile. Look at what is done in America and how things have gone.

It wasn't the only factor but its helped contribute to the polarization over there.

We've imported this polarised nonsense here, largely driven by the media and social media.

Americans and Brits do not care what Irish think about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw over on twitter they defaced a statue of Churchill as well, tbh I'm not too bothered about it as Churchill hated us Irish and this other guy was a slave trader but at the same time there are better ways of getting things done rather than mob rule taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I wonder will Leopold's statues comes down in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

History is found in books and museums, not statues. Statues are for veneration.

Originally they might have been.

Doesn't mean that veneration is what they elicit today.

If I walk past that statue, I think of the abomination that is slavery. Not the great chap that Colston was.

It's all just more vacant BS by the perpetually offended, perpetually attention-seeking, perpetual virtue-signallers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Actually follow up this. You actually posted a few posts back

"I didn't know that"

Irony fulfilled...

If you're waiting for an apology from me for not knowing the name of every slave owner who's ever lived, their monuments and the progress of efforts to remove them you can keep waiting. Your snide as hominema are of no interest to me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

We've imported this polarised nonsense here, largely driven by the media and social media.

Americans and Brits do not care what Irish think about them.

I don't think its as bad yet, not like you see over there but some of the actions this weekend has driven us a bit closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Yeah I've been chatting with a mate from Bristol today to get his insights.

A lot of Bristol will have to change if they really want to disavow the slave trade. Not just the statues. It was the major centre. And once again I wonder about the private intergenerational slave wealth.

The excellent BBC "a house through time" tells the history of the house that was built by a slave owner on Guinea street, which is named after the slave trade ( from Guinea).

I'd completely disagree with this statement tbh.

Geography is the same. Ask a Dubliner where Bandon is or Dungarvan. Most wouldn't have a clue.

We love to see ourselves as a cut above the rest. It's a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

History is found in books and museums, not statues. Statues are for veneration.

So your happy for statue's of minorities being removed?

There is a serious issue with History being hidden or distorted. As many people don't do sufficient reason and use the internet for their information...At least with Statues it can generate questions and discussions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Saw over on twitter they defaced a statue of Churchill as well, tbh I'm not too bothered about it as Churchill hated us Irish and this other guy was a slave trader but at the same time there are better ways of getting things done rather than mob rule taking over.

Well as pointed out earlier there is some evidence he didnt not hate Irish, eitherway he wasnt defaced because of his views on Irish people, its because of his misattributed role in the Bengal famine. If a mob is going to deface or tear down, You'd hope at least they'd get their history straight.

Sure, nobody has ever heard of Parnell or O'Connell.
    Geography is the same. Ask a Dubliner where Bandon is or Dungarvan. Most wouldn't have a clue.

We love to see ourselves as a cut above the rest. It's a bit mad.

More nonsense.

• Advertisement

But the protests generally and removing the statue are surely part of the culture war.

Possibly. I was thinking about the sorts of people who just moan to be honest.

I'd prefer to think of the efforts to remove the statue as a signal that the next generation of Britons want to reckon with their past in a way that previous generations have not.

H. H. Asquith

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    So your happy for statue's of minorities being removed?

There is a serious issue with History being hidden or distorted. As many people don't do sufficient reason and use the internet for their information...At least with Statues it can generate questions and discussions

Serious issue? You have a source for this?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

FVP3 wrote: »
    A lot of Bristol will have to change if they really want to disavow the slave trade. Not just the statues. It was the major centre. And once again I wonder about the private intergenerational slave wealth.

The excellent BBC "a house through time" tells the history of the house that was built by a slave owner on Guinea street, which is named after the slave trade ( from Guinea).

I dont buy this argument. Such vast wealth has been created from nothing since there.

Sure, nobody has ever heard of Parnell or O'Connell.

More nonsense.

Easy isn't to say the Brits don't have a clue. When it's said about us, it's "nonsense". No discussion at all. It's just "nonsense".

I think the problem they have is that if you start peeling back the layers on any of the old colonial powers its not pretty. How do you get to a situation that acknowledges the atrocities and also the benefits that were brought about because of it.

Its not easy to say the least and is the reason its a great opportunity for those who dont like whats going on to use it as a weapon against them. The reality is had the council taken the request on this statue seriously the acts today might not have happened and could have had a mature conversation about it but that part wont really get out.

Wait til people here about Daniel O'Connell's anti-semitic comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Serious issue? You have a source for this?

Just Google "halocaust fake"... plenty of websites that can confuse folks into believing the it never happened...now that's a major historical event... plenty of other bullsh!t online about other historical events...

Easy isn't to say the Brits don't have a clue. When it's said about us, it's "nonsense". No discussion at all. It's just "nonsense".

I didn't say anything about the Brit not knowing their history, however. I am saying the claim that the Irish dont know Parnell of O'Connell is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard on the internet. And I've been around the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Removing this statue is just distraction for the sake of it.
    Most of these nimrods don't know their history and have little respect for public property or history, for that matter.

Black, white or whatever going around attempting to write off the past as though it never existed, vandalise things that aren't theirs to destroy and generally pi*s me off getno support from me.

This will all blow over. Life will continue. And the people with time on their hands for this crap would be better off changing the world by contributing positively instead of running off after every sad little social media 'thing' that occurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well as pointed out earlier there is some evidence he didnt not hate Irish, eitherway he wasnt defaced because of his views on Irish people, its because of his misattributed role in the Bengal famine. If a mob is going to deface or tear down, You'd hope at least they'd get their history straight.

He sent the Black and Tans and Auxiliaries to Ireland in 1920 and we all know what they did.

Just to be clear I don't support tearing down or damaging statues but lets call out Churchill for what he was.

Advertisement