Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Only a Game? by Eamon Dunphy.

Excellent so far.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy for the second time. Punctuation or lack of is a thing and even knowing the end it is still amazing. He's nearly 90 now and has a new book/s out which sound like my thing.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Returning Light by Robert Harris.

The memoirs of someone who worked on Skellig Micheal for 30 years. Quite poetic and plenty of flowery language. It was not really what I was expecting from it so far.

Post edited by HalloweenJack on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I was struggling a little with Liberation Day so taking a break with the dear, old friend that is Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Barbery, Muriel - The Elegance of the Hedgehog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Big Fellow: Michael Collins and the Irish Revolution by Frank O'Connor

Without a shadow of a doubt, this is the worst book I have ever read about Michael Collins. I wouldn't recommend it at all. The authors disdain of women oozes from the pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭griffin100

Just finished American Psycho. Not sure if it’s good or not!! The violence gets boring after a while and cartoonish in some ways. But without the violence and the reputation it gives the book would it be worth reading? Probably not.

The best chapter for me was one with no violence and described a phone call where characters are trying to decide where to go for dinner. I’ll probably give it a go again in a few months to see if I appreciate it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Age Proof by Professor Rose Anne Kenny. Really worth reading, and I know I'll return to it again in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Prussian Blue - Philip Kerr.

Up to the usual high standard of the series - Will be sad to get to the last book.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just finished The Rodfather, very entertaining.

• Advertisement

Subterranean Sappers: A History of 177 Tunnelling Company RE From 1915 to 1919 by Iain McHenry

A fascinating read on the often forgotten vital role and contribution tunnelling companies played during The Great War. The majority of the men that comprised these companies were not soldiers by trade but from mining communities that answered their countries call. I had the pleasure of being on a WW1 Battlefield tour led by said author and he is a very knowledgeable man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Touchy Subjects, Emma Donoghue, a collection of short stories. One in particular, WritOr is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

’Geek Love’ by Katherine Dunn. It’s about a carnie family in a travelling circus. The parents purposely try to have kids with deformities to put into the show.

Decent book, drags a bit at the start but once it gets going it’s very good.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Other People's Money by Justin Cartwright, he is a brilliant writer.

concurrently reading Dominion by Tom Holland.

Bones and All by Camille DeAngleis. Saw the film the other week and mentioned to my boyfriend that I'd like to read the book so he bought it for me 😀

Finished this on Saturday, I enjoyed it. It's quite different from the film. It turns out the author is vegan, which gave me a bit of a chuckle considering the subject matter.

About to start Small Game by Blair Braverman. She's actually a very interesting follow on Twitter, she's a musher based in Alaska. Has been writing for Outdoor magazine for some time now but this is her first novel.

Just finished ‘They’ by Kay Dick. An interesting one, it’s like a series of vignettes, from an unknown narrator, with a disturbing undercurrent throughout.

A group only referred to as “they” are taking over the UK, stifling artist and personal freedom. Things get progressively worse as it goes on.

The book has a subtitle of ‘A Sequence of Unease’ and it, most definitely, has that. If I’m honest, my only gripe is that the book is way too short.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’ve got a good few books lined up at the moment but I’m struggling to get reading one. The last few I read were bad reads and I didn’t finish one of them yet because I lost interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CaboRoig

Histories of Nations - Peter Furtado

Taste - Stanley Tucci

Bird Cloud - Annie Proulx

A History of the GAA in 100 Objects - Siobhan Doyle

The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Filer

Have all of the above on the go at the moment! Dipping in and out as the mood takes me. Not loving the last one (Filer) and thinking it might be one to not finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

In the same boat until recently when I decided to go with ones I'd definitely enjoy.

In that vein just started A Man Named Doll by Jonathan Ames. Two chapters in and already really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’m thinking of loading up a box or 2 of my books and dropping them off at the charity shop, or else off a bridge.the ones I can’t seem to finish.

Murder Most Local: Historic Murders of East Cork by Peter O'Shea

Really enjoying his 5 book collection.

Phones have us ruined. I was always a complete and utter bookworm but even I struggle to get into anything lately. I've started leaving my phone in another room when I sit down to read lately and it's made a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Me too , and ordered several books I wanted to read. I haven’t started one yet. Constantly on my phone and tv . I think the only way is to leave phones in another room and tv off . At least for me . I was an avid reader at school . I had Wuthering Heights read a week so so after starting it for school.

I just can’t seem to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

The Dynasty - Sports book on the rise of the New England Patriots and Tom Brady. Have little interest in American Football but the book has me gripped. Great insight into Tom Brady and the Kraft family (owners of the Patriots).

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Just finished Book 1 of The Wheel of Time. Interested enough to follow onto Book 2 of like 15 books or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Finished a book called Survivors by the English/Australian author, Jane Harper. It's the fourth book of hers I read and plan on reading her fifth, I enjoyed all of them and if you're into crime fiction I definitely recommend her.

Jeff Benedict is on Newstalk’s ‘Off The Ball’ talking about the Super Bowl at the minute.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm rereading The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy. It's beautifully written and while it's a sad story it's got lots of funny parts. I always liked the film with Nick Nolte and Barbra Streisand but the book is miles better.

I have tons of books to get through but came across this one a few weeks ago and decided it was time to revisit it, there's a reason I kept my battered old second hand paperback (80p in a charity shop in Galway circa 1997).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

How to survive in spite of your parents by Margaret Reinhold.

Cui bono?

Advertisement