Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I am so jealous. I would love to be discovering that world all over agsin

• Registered Users Posts: 30,351 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I've enjoyed the Farseer trilogy so much that I have gone and ordered The Liveship Traders series. The reviews for The Liveship Traders appear to be excellent on Goodreads.

Ireland's Hidden Histories: A Story A Day From Our Little-known Past by Frank Hopkins

Flew through this in no time, some interesting stories in there but not a gripping read all-in-all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The way it all connects just blew my mind. And I think the character development of Malta is the best of any I've ever read

• Registered Users Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Firestarter by Stephen King.

Really enjoyable one of the few books of his I haven't read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

The Amusements by Aingeala flannery

Maritime Paintings of Cork 1700 - 2000 by Peter Murray

This is a gorgeously put together piece detailing the history of the Port of Cork encompassing rebellions, shipbuilding, trade and much more. The book comprises of works of art held by the Port of Cork and Crawford Municipal Art Gallery with detailed explanations of the scene, artists and conditions at the time. Some of the paintings are breathtakingly beautiful with the likes of barques, brigs, cutters, ketch, schooners, ships, sloops and the steamships of old among the works. It is great to be able to look back through the paintbrush of talented artists to see what Cork would of been like through the past 300 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just began reading Hidden Empire by Kevin J. Anderson. It's the first book of a seven-book series titled The Saga of Seven Suns and my dad happens to have all seven books on our bookshelf so I'm going to get stuck into them all over the next several weeks. As a fan of the Dune series and The Expanse books, I'm looking forward to getting another space series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Any good? Spent a lot of time in Tramore as a kid so am interested in reading this.

Four Killings: Land Hunger, Murder and Family in the Irish Revolution by Myles Dungan

This is the author's family history during the War of Independence and the Civil War. The first two chapters were a struggle but it gets very good after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finished Mean Baby by Selma Blair on Sunday. It's an autobiography, and the title is what people called her when she was a kid who liked biting people. Then she grew up in a fairly successful actress who still liked to bite people sometimes (just ask Seth MacFarlane). Selma has been in the news more recently for entirely different reasons (MS) but that's not the most interesting thing about the book. It's a helluva story and she's a good writer.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Cold, Cold Bones by Kathy Reichs

This is the latest novel in the Temperance Brennan series and it doesn't disappoint with the theme of a copy cat killer mimicking cases from Tempe's past.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

War Hotels.

Each chapter tells the story of hotels that became epicentres of various wars. More about the journalists and photographers inside than the actual hotel but a good read if your a fan of people like Don McCullen or the movie The Killing Fields.

A Man Without Breath by Philip Kerr

Ninth book in this excellent crime series. Based around the Katyn Woods massacre during the second world war and also brings in other war crimes committed by the allies .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

just finished Red Storm Rising, excellent book and fairly apt right now. Russia starts a ground war in Europe after an oil shortage. Started Hyperion by Dan Simmons and I am absolutely glued to it. Really excellent so far. Sci Fi story where seven strangers tell their own tales about why they are on the trip they are taken, a trip which they will not return from.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I was hooked on Kerr after reading the Berlin Trilogy. Superb story-teller. Keep going. He eventually ends up in Argentina. He died too young.

just finished Red Storm Rising, excellent book and fairly apt right now.

Team Yankee is excellent too. You should take a look at some of the Harold Coyle books too (hard to find these days), as they follow a similar theme. There's one (the ten thousand) where Germany takes on the US. A bit dated now, but truly excellent.

Reading the Blackest Heart by Brian Lee Duree. Nice fantasy series, some different takes on a traditional setting, and avoids using the troupes in the usual manner.

Finished The Hunger of the Gods series by John Gwynne before that. Beautiful read for fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

I finished Where the Crawdads sing the other day and I have to say it's been a long time since a book left such an impression on me. I haven't wanted to re-read a book for a long time but I'll definitely be reading it again. Incredibly sad but really moving and the theme of isolation is really powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

Its a brilliant book, I loved it aswell, I'm nearly afraid to watch the film. Very few instances were the film lives up to book.

One exception would be Normal People, didn't think the book was that great, characters very 2D but the TV adaptation was brilliant, brought them to life in way Sally Rooney just wasn't able to, for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I enjoyed it but it reads like a lot of short stories that sometimes intersect. Read it in 2 sittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The film is woeful, by all accounts. My mum and sister, who both loved the book, saw it the other week and about the best thing they had to say about it was "The scenery was nice".

Christ Stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi.

About a doctor exiled in the 1930s to what was then the arsehole of Italy for his anti-fascist activities. Just started but good so far.

Interestingly this area of Italy is now extremely trendy after being used in the Bond films.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Has anyone else gotten back into the habit of using the library? I went to buy a book a few months ago and it was 16 euros, so after that went back to the library its a fantastic service one of the unsung heroes of the public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

New one was finished being built just outside my estate, it's so good. No fees for late books which is brilliant for me as I work shift and can't make the 8am - 8pm times usually for returns. They have internet access, proper facilities for local kids. They even have a 3D printer to make kids toys with and if you ask nicely on a quiet evening, you just may get a shot of it yourself.

In accordance with the release of Prey, this week I have re-read Hunters and Hunted by James A. Moore, Predator 2, the novel by Simon Hawke & finally Turnabout by Steve Perry.

All were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Fell off a bit during the pandemic but been going a bit more regularly now. The shared all Ireland library they introduced I want to say in 2018 really is a game changer. When I get near the end of the book I have out I put a request in and its usually ready by the time I have to return my current loans.

Borrow box from the library is great for long journeys.

Went regularly a few years back. Great service with books, CDs and DVDs available. They now have audio books too.

I'm reading a drama by Sherry Woods sometimes you need an easy read romps along book.

• Advertisement

Erebus: The Story of a Ship by Michael Palin

Pretty self-explanatory title, this book charts the life of the ill-fated Erebus and her sister ship Terror from their build to their eventual loss in Arctic. Really enjoyed this as I normally do with anything polar exploration related.

Advertisement