Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deirdre Jacob missing twenty years Today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,227 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sofi1 wrote: »
    John Crerar was the man convicted of Phyllis Murphy's murder, I believe he's still in jail? I can't post links as a new user but there are press reports of allegations of child sex abuse that were alleged to have occurred before Phyllis's murder. I think he was living in Kildare town with his family up until his arrest in the late 90s.

His victim was found hence the DNA evidence that eventually convicted him.
    The other missing women have not been found so there is no evidence from a scene or even a scene itself. The Garda have very little to go on. No witnesses either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

people may have been afraid back then, and older and wiser now, hopefully this is the case, they may feel safer to let the truth be told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

His victim was found hence the DNA evidence that eventually convicted him.
    And the bastard that gave him an alibi retracted his statement

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭OB1Kildare

If I remember correctly it had also been suggested in the book Frozen Blood, that the two LM and JC, were seen at a disused quarry together around the time of the disappearance of Deirdre. Not sure if this was ever proven though.

this is in the area the helicopter was over last week ...might just be a coincidence but JC did work near to there as security guard . From anything i have read there doesnt appear to be anything to show LM and JC would have known each other ...but i might be incorrect .

Edgware wrote: »
    And the bastard that gave him an alibi retracted his statement

guy in work gives him an alibi and then 2 days later hes back in work cleaning out his car with kettles of boiling water ....and no one thinks its a bit suspicious !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Larry Murphy has two cousins who have been convicted of rape / murder
    Thomas Dalton - rape
    David Lawler - murder

Genuinely what are the chances of that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

OB1Kildare wrote: »
    this is in the area the helicopter was over last week ...might just be a coincidence but JC did work near to there as security guard . From anything i have read there doesnt appear to be anything to show LM and JC would have known each other ...but i might be incorrect .

Found this from the book online. Obviously not strong enough evidence but I suppose a possibility of a connection. Seems it was after the disappearance of Jo Jo rather than Deirdre. My mistake.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/BLOOD+BROTHERS+EXCLUSIVE%3B+Murderer+Crerar+and+sex+beast+Murphy+joined...-a0109236032

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

Thomas Dalton - rape
    David Lawler - murder

Christ murder/rape really is in their family DNA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thomas Dalton - rape
    David Lawler - murder

Wow, frightening,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Thomas Dalton - rape
    David Lawler - murder

Murder and rape. It was a harrowing one and happened close to were I lived in the 90's. Terrified the local people, women especially. Poor Marilyn Rynn was attacked by the opportune freak who is still in jail to this day. I'd no idea he was a relation of Murphy but the excerpt below mention he's from Baltinglass.

''David Lawler did not fit the profile of a murderer. The long-haired, bearded telephone technician had a steady job, a wife and a six year old son. One of five children, he joined Telecom Eireann as a bright school-leaver from Baltinglass, Co Wicklow. He worked installing phone and computer modem lines and was a keen Internet user.

He said he just did it on spontaneous impulse. Sometime before 5 a.m. he raped Marilyn Rynn and strangled her with his hands, leaving her naked body in brambles, her clothes and handbag nearby.''

Read more here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Wish they would release pictures of all those convicted. They shouldn't be allowed conceal their identities. Have no idea what John crerar looks like at all. Who knows what new info ags might receive if people recognised these criminals. They should all be made do a perp walk like in the US

Thomas Dalton - rape
    David Lawler - murder

thats shocking ...surprised the press have let that one get past them

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sofi1

Edgware wrote: »
    Do you think Larry came home after his days "work" and gave the family a rundown on how he got on?

Do you think someone needs to be hand-delivering a signed and sealed confession to make a significant contribution to the progress of the investigation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

Massive speculation in the area about who it was!

as in they pretty much knew who it was?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I wasn't living here when Larry Murphy was locked up first - does he have a mother living ?

Sometimes mammy has known all along what laddo was up to and protected him.

I wasn't living here when Larry Murphy was locked up first - does he have a mother living ?

Sometimes mammy has known all along what laddo was up to and protected him.

His mother died in May this year.

His mother died in May this year.

Ah thanks -any suspicion she may have alibi'd him etc ?

guy in work gives him an alibi and then 2 days later hes back in work cleaning out his car with kettles of boiling water ....and no one thinks its a bit suspicious !

He said he'd spilt milk in it. I'm from the Newbridge area too and I'd always heard that they guy had given the alibi because he though was covering for an affair for Crerar. That's just local talk, no idea if true. Although you'd imagine he should have been given pause for though when it emerged Phyllis went missing the same night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

Afaik the whole family disowned him and were horrified and shocked by what he did

there are 2 other theories on this that have been going around locally for years .
    The first is on the road where her house is - DJ would have had to walk past a big halting site on her way home .....something that is never mentioned in any media reports. there was talk locally of 3 people heading to the uk the week after she disappeared from there.

The Lm connection seems to be pushed by the media - her parents have stated that he never worked in their shop and the story of the cheque stub being found in her granny files after she passed away are not true. What is true however is that at the time LM was working on 2 local pubs.....but where DJ lives would be the complete opposite direction for his route home.

There was also a story about a unusual activity and noise coming from an area of the curragh on the night she went missing ...just last week the guarda helicopter was in that area flying really low and they looked to be mapping it . I happened to be out when I spotted them and couldnt figure out what they were doing ...but now that makes more sense- i headed home after about 30mins and they were still going over and back on the same area .

The media will never talk about knackers because there would be uproar from pavy point and other do-gooders but i believe this should be looked into properly, knackers are normally exempt from the law in this country but in a case of murder they should be investigated the same as any member of society

• Advertisement

Not that I've ever heard. Afaik, his family disowned him. His brother did so very publicly, even appeared on the Late Late Show.

NickD wrote: »
    Afaik the whole family disowned him and were horrified and shocked by what he did

That is actually really great to hear - you hear some horror stories.

I read up on some of the case when he was released and I'll be honest, I never got the vibe that he didn't have a murder or two in his background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

I read up on some of the case when he was released and I'll be honest, I never got the vibe that he didn't have a murder or two in his background.

Yeah it's particularly strange that his two cousins were jailed for rape and/ or murder. Makes you wonder was it a nature or nurture situation although his brother seems like a decent skin

bb12 wrote: »
    Wish they would release pictures of all those convicted. They shouldn't be allowed conceal their identities. Have no idea what John crerar looks like at all. Who knows what new info ags might receive if people recognised these criminals. They should all be made do a perp walk like in the US

hwfwq0.png

Photos of Crerar were published in the papers. This one is from a 2007 article in the Sunday Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Did anyone listen the ciara Kelly's interview with Paul Williams today dicusssing the various missing women's cases as well as Larry Murphy and his abduction and rape of a woman. I found it very hard to listen to not just because of the graphic detail he went into but his aqlmost excitement in telling the story. I can't believe he is a newstalk presenter

Found this from the book online. Obviously not strong enough evidence but I suppose a possibility of a connection. Seems it was after the disappearance of Jo Jo rather than Deirdre. My mistake.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/BLOOD+BROTHERS+EXCLUSIVE%3B+Murderer+Crerar+and+sex+beast+Murphy+joined...-a0109236032

was this was where the story of the car came from - this is going way back to the early 2000's - apparently they were trying to trace the car registered to LM at the time DJ went missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Henwin wrote: »
    Did anyone listen the ciara Kelly's interview with Paul Williams today dicusssing the various missing women's cases as well as Larry Murphy and his abduction and rape of a woman. I found it very hard to listen to not just because of the graphic detail he went into but his aqlmost excitement in telling the story. I can't believe he is a newstalk presenter

Heard it but I think he is just passionate about the cause. I’d say he hears a lot of stuff on the grapevine that he can’t discuss.I couldn’t understand why Ciara Kelly had him on, if she was going to gag him in case little ears were listening!

"He said: "Murphy was working in Roseberry the day before Deirdre Jacob went missing and that's more than a coincidence." (quote from Michael Sheridan, author of the book)

Does any other Newbridge head know if this is true? I had always heard that Murphy was doing carpentry work in Swifts (pub on the main street, just up from where Deirdre's granny's shop was at the time), but it's so hard to separate gossip and rumour from fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Paul Williams is a disgrace to journalism. He's a bell end of the highest order.

• Advertisement

"He said: "Murphy was working in Roseberry the day before Deirdre Jacob went missing and that's more than a coincidence." (quote from Michael Sheridan, author of the book)

Does any other Newbridge head know if this is true? I had always heard that Murphy was doing carpentry work in Swifts (pub on the main street, just up from where Deirdre's granny's shop was at the time), but it's so hard to separate gossip and rumour from fact.

the main story is he was working on swifts - and she would have walked past the door . There certainly is alot of wood in swifts so Id imagine there was alot of chippys in there ....not something you would want to be making public knowledge if it was my pub ...all the wood is still in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

Paul Williams is a fantastic fit for Newstalk.

the main story is he was working on swifts - and she would have walked past the door . There certainly is alot of wood in swifts so Id imagine there was alot of chippys in there ....not something you would want to be making public knowledge if it was my pub ...all the wood is still in there

Yes, I think that was around the time when the pub was being completely renovated? Did it have a different name before that, can't remember.

It's pretty much smack bang in the busy centre of the town as it was at the time (pre-Whitewater, when a lot of business shifted towards Cutlery Rd). You'd have had to have passed it going up the town when going to most of the banks, and the post office, Penney's .

Yes, I think that was around the time when the pub was being completely renovated? Did it have a different name before that, can't remember.

It's pretty much smack bang in the busy centre of the town as it was at the time (pre-Whitewater, when a lot of business shifted towards Cutlery Rd). You'd have had to have passed it going up the town when going to most of the banks, and the post office, Penney's .

thats was the year of the big renovation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

He was married with children, so don't think his mother would have been that up on his movements as he didn't live with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

And refused any counselling or interactions with . psychiatrist. Should never have been left out !

He tried to suffocate his victim with a plastic bag (along with the horrific things he did to her) and only gets 10 years. :(

During questioning about the woman's injuries, it was reported that Murphy commented: "Well, she's alive isn't she?" and: "She was lucky" and showed no sign of remorse or guilt.

I could nearly bet on it that he had murdered previous to his conviction and it involved one of the vanishing triangle, very likely Deirdre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

He tried to suffocate his victim with a plastic bag (along with the horrific things he did to her) and only gets 10 years. :(

During questioning about the woman's injuries, it was reported that Murphy commented: "Well, she's alive isn't she?" and: "She was lucky" and showed no sign of remorse or guilt.

I could nearly bet on it that he had murdered previous to his conviction and it involved one of the vanishing triangle, very likely Deirdre.

Yes. If he was in Newbridge at the time Deirdre went missing its eerie at best. Wasnt there the story of fbi profilers involved with cases over here and reckoned Murphy was involved in more than just one.
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/fbi-identify-irish-rapist-as-a-serial-killer-98728694-237705531

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Paul Williams is a disgrace to journalism. He's a bell end of the highest order.

I don't know if you could call people who write for comic strips like the Sunday World/Irish Sun/INOTW proper journalists.

God help the family, how could anyone either be involved in somethign like this or carry around the knowledge of who did it for 20 years, look at her poor parents, every single day they wake must feel like hell
    Whoever did it, there is no way they could have kept it a complete secret from the whole world, someone somewhere knows something, I just hope they can do the right thing for the family

God help the family, how could anyone either be involved in somethign like this or carry around the knowledge of who did it for 20 years, look at her poor parents, every single day they wake must feel like hell
    Whoever did it, there is no way they could have kept it a complete secret from the whole world, someone somewhere knows something, I just hope they can do the right thing for the family

You'd be surprised how people can remain silent for years.
    The Dundalk Garda investigated the death of Irene White for years. Brutally stabbed in her own kitchen.
    Years later someone decided to speak and now two people will face trial and possibly others. Sometimes you just have to wait but keep it fresh in the media at the same time.

You'd be surprised how people can remain silent for years.
    The Dundalk Garda investigated the death of Irene White for years. Brutally stabbed in her own kitchen.
    Years later someone decided to speak and now two people will face trial and possibly others. Sometimes you just have to wait but keep it fresh in the media at the same time.

yes i remember that, she was killed in the ice house?

imagine keeping a murder to yourself for all those years, how would it not eat away at you

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/youd-ask-him-what-did-you-do-larry-and-he-would-say-i-flipped-26672172.html
    His brother Thomas quite comprehensively denounces him in this article. It's compiled from quotes from an interview he did with Charlie Bird.

I find him (LM) quite revolting, it's hard to look at photos of him.

I went to school with Deirdre, so I think of her and what happened to her a lot.

She was a beautiful, gentle, intelligent girl with her whole life ahead of her, it's difficult to comprehend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This case and that of Philip Cairns were the ones that scared me the most of all the ‘Missing Person’ cases because they happened in urban areas in broad daylight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Unfortunately, part of being a journalist is being able to separate oneself from the events and even get a bit excited about it.

Joan Didion was once asked how she felt about happening upon a five year old drug addict and surprisingly, she replied “Wonderful!” because she knew she had a story. It might seem callous but if she had been too affected by the discovery, she wouldn’t have been able to write an article that shocked America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭julyjane

there were a number of different versions of LM- his family were shocked to their cores that Larry would do something like that when "butter wouldn't melt in his mouth" - yet the 2 men hunting in the woods who saved his victims life remembered his face from an incident in a pub where he had indecently assaulted a woman. He tried it on with a friend of his wife and then begged her not to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I think he got a 15 year sentence.

He only served 10 years though. Remission for "good behaviour", which seems to boil down to getting a reward for, say, not murdering a cellmate or burning down the prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

One of the hunters should have had an "accidental" discharge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The same applies to the families of Annie Mc Carrick and Eva Brennan. The harrowing experience of not knowing how or why their loved ones simply vanished and who may have been responsible. At least if remains were discovered it would give some small comfort to the bereaved.

Murphy was certainly being monitored whilst living in Amsterdam. The various reports as to his whereabouts since his release are likely as a result of police leaking information to journalists. He has a nondescript type of appearance so could blend in easily. I doubt many would recognise him if he passed by on the street.

julyjane wrote: »
    there were a number of different versions of LM- his family were shocked to their cores that Larry would do something like that when "butter wouldn't melt in his mouth" - yet the 2 men hunting in the woods who saved his victims life remembered his face from an incident in a pub where he had indecently assaulted a woman. He tried it on with a friend of his wife and then begged her not to tell.

We all know creeps that make our flesh crawl, but their families probably think they're grand fellas altogether. Sometimes it's hard to see what's under your nose.

It was reported that he actually tried to strangle his wife's friend, who he was dropping home one night. Luckily she escaped, but she was so shaken that she didn't tell his wife or report it to the guards.

chicorytip wrote: »
    The same applies to the families of Annie Mc Carrick and Eva Brennan. The harrowing experience of not knowing how or why their loved ones simply vanished and who may have been responsible. At least if remains were discovered it would give some small comfort to the bereaved.

Ciara Breen's mother recently went to her grave never knowing what happened to her only child who vanished in 1997 at the age of seventeen.
    It has to have taken its toll on her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement