Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did the Irish stop speaking Irish?

Options
  • 01-01-2016 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

I'm guessing it was sometime in the 19th century. Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

There was no line in the sand.... It was gradual decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They haven't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When it became profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

3.15 pm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've read that it was on the decline before the English invasion. It was being supplanted by English which was associated with progress and modernisation at the time.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

There was no line in the sand.... It was gradual decline.

Ok when did the majority stop speaking Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I've read that it was on the decline before the English invasion. It was being supplanted by English which was associated with progress and modernisation at the time.

So the decline in Irish started before the 12th century? Perhaps you should read different books.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

'Twas the year of our lord 1662

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Nah, I think it was 1842.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

It was when Peig came along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

My question is. How come the majority of Irish people cannot grasp a second language. I would love to speak Irish, German or French but I just can't do it. Is it because its just too easy most of the time other people speak English. I don't know but would love to speak another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Would Irish not be a modern term anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Níl a fhios agam.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Ruu wrote: »
    Níl a fhios agam.
    My Irish teacher always regretted teaching me this phrase.

Ruu wrote: »
    Níl a fhios agam.

Je ne sais pas.

I had more French than Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

July 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

As soon as the leaving cert was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

Would 1% of the Irish population be fluent irish speakers???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

TallGlass wrote: »
    My question is. How come the majority of Irish people cannot grasp a second language. I would love to speak Irish, German or French but I just can't do it. Is it because its just too easy most of the time other people speak English. I don't know but would love to speak another.

It takes a lot of effort when you don't live in the other country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

TallGlass wrote: »

No English speaking country is good at learning other languages mainly because everything is in English and there's no need to learn!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Post famine English was favoured over Irish in peoples homes. It was seen as a way to the world which had opened massively through globalized trade.

It must be stressed though that English wasn't learned but adapted through Irish, hence Hiberno-English.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    It takes a lot of effort when you don't live in the other country.

What if you live in the country the language is spoken? In our case, Ireland.

They don't do anything for promoting speaking Irish except seachtain na gaeilge. Just a week of Irish speaking. It should be made fun to speak it every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

What does this have to do with After Hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The Raptor wrote: »
    They don't do anything for promoting speaking Irish except seachtain na gaeilge. Just a week of Irish speaking.

Well it's usually two weeks in fairness. I know, I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

nuair a chonaic mé do mháthair

c_man wrote: »
    Well it's usually two weeks in fairness. I know, I know...

Thanks for correcting me. But two weeks in the year isn't much, in Ireland. It should be every day of the year.

You don't go to France to find that they speak French for two weeks in March.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    No English speaking country is good at learning other languages mainly because everything is in English and there's no need to learn!
    Yep everything, there is no culture beyond the anglosphere.. such a sad thing to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Actually, in the 2011 census, 1.77 million people declared they could speak Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

masti123 wrote: »
    Actually, in the 2011 census, 1.77 million people declared they could speak Irish.

This is why you can never trust a census.

Advertisement