Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its mostly taught as part of a classical English language education. It is still taught like that in many universities. Not really social studies.
    Its something that they take though. Trust me.

This thread just comes off as a load of bitter people dumbing on this guy for doing the best who could with his life

Begrudgery.

I see it differently ..and as we are unlikely to see eye to eye ...its useless really to continue.

Pretty much. :D

Haha, Chaucer isn’t “difficult”! ‘The Canterbury Tales’, that is.

Some parts can drag on but it’s certainly not as boring as, say, Langland’s ‘Piers Plowman’. But you couldn’t, really, call that “difficult” either.

It's probably more difficult than grievance studies. Or course both medieval texts and old English in particular are going to be difficult for people coming in with a fairly weak A level, which might also be the reason.

This thread just comes off as a load of bitter people dumbing on this guy for doing the best who could with his life

Begrudgery.

I thought you were going to leave it? :rolleyes:

It's not "begrudgery". It's nothing to do with envy. It's feeling that the person doesn't deserve the place.

He failed his asylum application, and since he's gotten this position, he will be allowed to stay, and likely receive funding/supports (since he's apparently poor) to provide for him while he's here.

I feel that the position and funding would be better given to either an Irish native, a European, or an approved asylum seeker. You feel different. Grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40213340.html

“Thousands of Brazilians have taken to the streets for a second day to call for the impeachment of President Jair Bolsonaro, who is under fire for his government’s response to coronavirus which has killed more than 216,000 people in the country.”

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40213340.html

“Thousands of Brazilians have taken to the streets for a second day to call for the impeachment of President Jair Bolsonaro, who is under fire for his government’s response to coronavirus which has killed more than 216,000 people in the country.”

How is that woke?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I thought you were going to leave it? :rolleyes:

It's not "begrudgery". It's nothing to do with envy. It's feeling that the person doesn't deserve the place.

You think another inhumane phd student was lining up behind him? Doesn't seem like there would be many to take it away from.

Lots of people don't deserve their success and lots of people who don't have success deserve it.

Shrug.

Maybe he just deserved it in a diff way.

Give a guy a break dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

How is that woke?

He has no idea what woke is.

You think another inhumane phd student was lining up behind him? Doesn't seem like there would be many to take it away from.

Based on what? Courses that lack students don't stay on a program for long. So, it makes more sense that there would be other students aiming to take the position, and probably waiting on responses to their own applications.
    Lots of people don't deserve their success and lots of people who don't have success deserve it.

Shrug.

What success? He got a Masters through a scholarship in South Africa. That's the only success I see so far. He got refused on his asylum application. So... where's the success? Oh! you mean being successful in bypassing our immigration system. Yeah..
    Maybe he just deserved it in a diff way.

Give a guy a break dude.

Why should I? Had he been accepted under the Asylum process, I'd have no issue with the university or government providing the place and funding for his PHD (although I think the course itself is inappropriate, and will just lead to a more divided society in the future).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I don't understand how his failed asylum application should have any relevance to the university awarding him the opportunity to do the PhD.

I recognise the behemoth controversial elephant in the room there, but it is the prerogative of the university to offer the PhD.

I still cannot respect persons disrespecting his right to apply, for asylum or for a place in college. It is no one elses' business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I don't understand how his failed asylum application should have any relevance to the university awarding him the opportunity to do the PhD.

I recognise the behemoth controversial elephant in the room there, but it is the prerogative of the university to offer the PhD.

I still cannot respect persons disrespecting his right to apply, for asylum or for a place in college. It is no one elses' business.

Because a failed application for asylum should be followed by a swift deportation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

If his asylum has been rejected then he is not a legal citizen.
    I am assuming the Irish state will not be on the hook for an expenses whatsoever for someone who has been refused entry?

If his PHD is costing the state money then Im absolutely opposed to it. If he is not costing the state money then my other objection would be if an Irish citizen had applied and was refused.

There is plenty of legal citizens that we could fund in their endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How is Chaucer or any of the old or mediaeval English stuff "colonisation". It was long before the colonial era.

English colonialism started long before Chaucer was born with Wales.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Leading up to the mediaeval period "England" was being invaded by numerous European tribes, Vikings, Anglo Saxons Normans , even the Irish invaded Scotland. The invaders of Wales were the Normans who were at the time still rulers of the Anglo Saxons who had invaded centuries earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Leading up to the mediaeval period "England" was being invaded by numerous European tribes, Vikings, Anglo Saxons Normans , even the Irish invaded Scotland. The invaders of Wales were the Normans who were at the time still rulers of the Anglo Saxons who had invaded centuries earlier.

''Woke-ism of the day'':confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Because the whole reason this bum is in the country is on the back of his bogus asylum claim.

Rothko wrote: »
    He has no idea what woke is.

To "put" it "mildly"

It might not be immediately clear but even the fact that TUD are offering such a PhD is a good example, symptom and cause of the woke nonsense. If only ITs were focussed on industry and practical education.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He can apply for asylum...where if successful he can be offered safety, accommodation and healthcare... free gratis.... that costs tens of thousands per individual accepted over a year.. we the citizens pay for that...should we also see an Irish person overlooked for that place in third level in addition to the tens of thousands we pay for the upkeep and comforts of said individual ? No chance should we do that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

It’s probably time to move on from the PHD issue. We aren’t going to agree on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Zebra3 wrote: »

Colonialism - A word used by some to justify denial of UK citizens' rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

unless he has a benevolent sponspor - we are paying for it
    so it is our business. very much so.
    This was sneaky way to circumvent our process
    NewMan1982 wrote: »
    If his asylum has been rejected then he is not a legal citizen.
    I am assuming the Irish state will not be on the hook for an expenses whatsoever for someone who has been refused entry?

If his PHD is costing the state money then Im absolutely opposed to it. If he is not costing the state money then my other objection would be if an Irish citizen had applied and was refused.

There is plenty of legal citizens that we could fund in their endeavours.

agreed
    and what a fcuking course too - a PHd in white man bad
    what is he gonna do with that but sit on an NGO or a university sucking more taxpayers money from our childrens hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Danzy wrote: »
    The modern left is going through a Red Guard, Year Zero period of madness.

Yes, because they cant do f all about zero hours contracts and so much cheap work

Strumms wrote: »
    He can apply for asylum...where if successful he can be offered safety, accommodation and healthcare... free gratis.... that costs tens of thousands per individual accepted over a year.. we the citizens pay for that...should we also see an Irish person overlooked for that place in third level in addition to the tens of thousands we pay for the upkeep and comforts of said individual ? No chance should we do that...

More begrudgery.

This nonsense about a few grand for an asylum seeker to do a PhD... as if he is making the country broke.

Oh , and ... some poor little Irish student didn't get a course as result, oh no?

" overlooked " - how destitute.

The plight of the modern Irish student, the neglection onset by the scourge parasite of the foreign student, taking all our college places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

More begrudgery.

This nonsense about a few grand for an asylum seeker to do a PhD... as if he is making the country broke.

Oh , and ... some poor little Irish student didn't get a course as result, oh no?

" overlooked " - how destitute.

The plight of the modern Irish student, the neglection onset by the scourge parasite of the foreign student, taking all our college places.

It’s interesting that the kind of people who moan about any of kind of positive discrimination ie hiring more women in management positions are also the same kind of people who think university places should be kept only for Irish people.

I love the way the core objection has been consistently ignored. That the person was refused Asylum, but giving him this course position, allows him to stay in the country. And since he's poor, the University or the government will have to provide a standard of living for him in Dublin.

Instead, we get a ream of posters who try to guilt posters into agreeing that "it's a good thing". Typical woke nonsense. If you disagree with the virtue signalling, then you're a bad person, begrudging the success of others.
    It’s interesting that the kind of people who moan about any of kind of positive discrimination ie hiring more women in management positions are also the same kind of people who think university places should be kept only for Irish people.

And you're basing this on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭CarProblem

It’s interesting that the kind of people who moan about any of kind of positive discrimination ie hiring more women in management positions

Who "moans" about more women in management positions? If the person being hired/promoted is the best/most suitable applicant go for it (regardless of gender, race etc)

I'm not claiming my cohort of friends, colleagues, acquaintances are representative of the Irish population but I know a grand total of zero women in favour of gender quotas. I would often hear words to the effect of "I'd be mortified if I only got my position due to being a woman"

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭CarProblem

And you're basing this on what?

Tbh I always assumed the poster in question was a WUM

• Advertisement

CarProblem wrote: »
    Who "moans" about more women in management positions?

Well if I am being really really honest ......
    Only messing girls , cheeky smiley face

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement