Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Let’s go with the Irish taxpayers for a start eh ?
    We all pay tax.

We don't all agree with you.

We have elected officials that are supposed to represent our values.

Some do so better than others.

But i don't see a trump like govt getting elected in Ireland. Do you?

When tax payers vote ..they don't see to go far right in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

silverharp wrote: »

I wonder since technology and science are racist now . Will he stop using his car, iphone, tv, medicine etc ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

We all pay tax.

We don't all agree with you.

We have elected officials that are supposed to represent our values.

Some do so better than others.

But i don't see a trump like govt getting elected in Ireland. Do you?

When tax payers vote ..they don't see to go far right in this country.

Thats true, much better to keep our legal eagles rolling in it with appeal after appeal than help verified refugees....

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Get real.

The university is more than likely paying for the course.Do you even know?

. .

Possibly corporate sponsorship for a phd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Agreed, it could be getting funded from anywhere.

I was just attempting to highlight the thinly veiled gripe that is becoming glaringly more obtuse from the tone of some posts, like anyone ever gave a phuck about where the tax gets spent until they want some?

It is clear to me that much of the begrudgery does not fall along the lines of pining for wasted state funds....

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Agreed, it could be getting funded from anywhere.

I was just attempting to highlight the thinly veiled gripe that is becoming glaringly more obtuse from the tone of some posts, like anyone ever gave a phuck about where the tax gets spent until they want some?

It is clear to me that much of the begrudgery does not fall along the lines of pining for wasted state funds....

Yeah some company paid for my bros phd ..but they then owned all his research. But he got paid while he was doing it too. ..so...fair nuff.

A lot of PHDs give the student a wage now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The Mfaco guy.
    The 'wokiesm' is the interference of a hotbed of critical theorists (college/university) basically trying to sway a judicial process (this guys appeal against deportation as the authorities do not believe he is genuinely seeking asylum)
    'Oh but yer honour, how could you take away his future now that he has a PhD place etc etc'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

You obviously don't work in corporate :D

Maybe they might have an opening for a grievance student as a diversity officer.

But the only reason corporates are interested in diversity is to facilitate a supply of cheap labour, at the expense of older workers. There is no finely-tuned morality at play.

Would be pretty soul-destroying to discover that, aiming for a PhD. Better off going to the school of hard knocks..:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The Mfaco guy.
    The 'wokiesm' is the interference of a hotbed of critical theorists (college/university) basically trying to sway a judicial process (this guys appeal against deportation as the authorities do not believe he is genuinely seeking asylum)
    'Oh but yer honour, how could you take away his future now that he has a PhD place etc etc'

Valid point in fairness. Still not fundamentally woke though?

There are succinct benefits of having an asylum seeker study a PhD concurrently, for both student, college and arguably the pertinent state.

I said it earlier many PhD's may feel wishy washy to the average eye, but that does not, or at least should not, deplete from the relevance of the study.

Biker79 wrote: »
    You obviously don't work in corporate :D

..:pac:

Yes I do.

My brother was paid to do his phd in computer engineering. But they owned his research. the patent like

It was part owned by a company and part owned by the uni.

Many adjunct professors actually ...are not paid by unis ...but by companies.

You get lots of masters that are doing testing on components for companies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Yes I do.

My brother was paid to do his phd in computer engineering. But they owned his research. the patent like

It was part-owned by a company and part-owned by the uni.

Many adjunct professors actually ...are not paid by unis ...but by companies.

You get lots of masters that are doing testing on components for companies etc.

Sure, they will pay for subjects that they will get a return on - like CS.

Can't see any company paying for a post-grad in whining though. In fact, the diversity consultants I have seen have been contracted staff paid to provide a few presentations so that HR can tick a box saying ' diversity training completed ' :)

Anyway, going well off topic...

Thats true, much better to keep our legal eagles rolling in it with appeal after appeal than help verified refugees....
    Well this is true.

Sure, they will pay for subjects that they will get a return on - like CS.

Can't see any company paying for a post-grad in whining though. In fact, the diversity consultants I have seen have been contracted staff paid to provide a few presentations so that HR can tick a box saying ' diversity training completed ' :)

Anyway, going well off topic...

What is his phd in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Chaucer to be scrapped as University of Leicester 'decolonises' curriculum

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/chaucer-to-be-scrapped-as-british-university-decolonises-curriculum-20210121-p56vrn.html
    Management told the English department that courses on canonical works would be dropped in favour of modules that "students expect" as part of plans now under consultation.

Foundational texts such asThe Canterbury Tales and the Anglo-Saxon epic Beowulf would no longer be taught, under proposals to scrap medieval literature.
    New modules described as "excitingly innovative" would cover: "A chronological literary history, a selection of modules on race, ethnicity, sexuality and diversity, a decolonised curriculum, and new employability modules."

well, at least they're including employability modules, whatever they'll consist of

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/chaucer-to-be-scrapped-as-british-university-decolonises-curriculum-20210121-p56vrn.html

well, at least they're including employability modules, whatever they'll consist of
    Chaucer is a load of .....i mean its a class social studies students take on the side tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

silverharp wrote: »

The modern left is going through a Red Guard, Year Zero period of madness.

This is silly.

Whenever someone takes a place in uni or a job someone else loses out.

Everyone takes someone else's place.

The difference being that the acceptance into the PHD program would be based on their performance, the interview, and such. It's a relatively level playing field which people can prepare for because the requirements are generally well known..

When the place is given out to a failed Asylum seeker, how can others compete?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,597 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Chaucer is a load of .....i mean its a class social studies students take on the side tbh

Ah, there’s some gems in ‘The Canterbury Tales’, I. They could have just said they were “modernising” the course.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The difference being that the acceptance into the PHD program would be based on their performance,
    Its also based on academic connections.

Ah, there’s some gems in ‘The Canterbury Tales’, I. They could have just said they were “modernising” the course.
    Don't mind me i am a peasant! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Don't mind me i am a peasant! :P

No one progressive is a peasant.

Minor nobility, Merchant class or a Church Deacon and up.

PhD in 'Education, Language, culture, and teaching' ...in one instance.

The other was a masters in something similar. Not sure exactly.
    what language?

Danzy wrote: »
    No one progressive is a peasant.

Minor nobility, Merchant class or a Church Deacon and up.
    Awh you are so sweet.

I don't deserve you so i don't.

:P

I am a Church Deacon! :)

what language?

C++

C++
    AHHHH

Computer languages ....i am not smart enough for them! :)

AHHHH

Computer languages ....i am not smart enough for them! :)
    im only takin the piss...

The PHd he was accepted onto is titled

"Institutionalized inhumanity: Direct Provision & the Threshold of Inhuman Treatment"

EsNd-wEW8AIISrA?format=jpg
    jhgf

Its also based on academic connections.

nvm. Probably best to just move on, since the previous point has been made repeatedly already.

Yes, of course. But again, these are measurable/known requirements depending on the PHD course in question. As such, candidates compete by preparing themselves in the best possible ways to obtain the position.

When all of that is bypassed by a university choosing to 'virtue signal' by giving a place to a failed asylum seeker, another person who may have applied for the position, will have missed out. Another person who has likely invested a lot of time in preparing for their application, since such positions are limited.
    I see it differently ..and as we are unlikely to see eye to eye ...its useless really to continue.

How is Chaucer or any of the old or mediaeval English stuff "colonisation". It was long before the colonial era. What it is of course is difficult, and that is the problem.

Its mostly taught as part of a classical English language education. It is still taught like that in many universities. Not really social studies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,597 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

How is Chaucer or any of the old English stuff "colonisation". It was long before the colonial era. What it is of course is difficult, and that is the problem.

Haha, Chaucer isn’t “difficult”! ‘The Canterbury Tales’, that is.

Some parts can drag on but it’s certainly not as boring as, say, Langland’s ‘Piers Plowman’. But you couldn’t, really, call that “difficult” either.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement