Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Drinking Thread? Good Friday edition

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Owner should have claimed his customers were all bona fide travellers. Mind you, if they'd been found out and convicted they could receive some harsh punishment;
    (3) Every person who by falsely representing himself to be a bona fide traveller buys or obtains or who attempts by such false representation to buy or obtain on any licensed premises any intoxicating liquor during a period in which the sale of intoxicating liquor on such premises is prohibited by this Act shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding five pounds.

Worth risking the price of a pint for a pint. The tour busses going around the West of Ireland seem to avail of this one on good Friday and a faux German accent is always a good way to get served :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

smacl wrote: »
    Owner should have claimed his customers were all bona fide travellers.
    I see that the word "travellers" here does not refer to the ethnic minority.
    But to anyone who has traveled at least 5 miles since the previous night, or 3 miles if they have crossed a county boundary (a 2 mile inter-county free bonus applies!)

I'm thinking this must hark back to the days when only respectable people had transport :pac: (apart from the aforesaid ethnic minority, who wouldn't have been allowed in the door on any day of the year anyway)
    Travellers such as judges and barristers on circuit, and naturally they would not need to be subjected to the same restrictive controls as the local peasantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The "bona fide traveller" exception was originally introduced to facilitate the development of stage coach services and routes, the idea being that travellers would need refreshment, and if they could only get it during limited hours then coach timetables would in practice have to be restricted to those hours, and where would that leave businesses like Ryancoach and Easycarriage? The exemption survived in its full-blooded form until 1943, and in a restricted form until 1963, when it finally dawned on people that licensing laws which encouraged drinking and driving were maybe a teeny bit unwise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Things moving forward, slowly, but in the right direction:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/good-friday-alcohol-ban-to-be-lifted-from-all-premises-by-2018-1.3117347?mode=amp
    The Government is to ensure that the lifting of the ban on the sale of alcohol on Good Friday will apply to all premises rather than be restricted to pubs.

Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald had already announced that the Government would not oppose a Private Member's Bill, tabled by the Independent Senator Billy Lawless earlier this year, that sought to remove the 90-year-old ban for pubs and off-licences. She had pointed out, however, that it would lead to further legal anomalies, and she will today ask her Cabinet colleagues to consider amendments to ensure that the abolition will also apply to restaurants, clubs and hotels.

The Government's initial intention had been to lift the ban in its own legislation that will aim to reform the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol. The Sale of Alcohol Bill is expected to come before the Dáil later this year, but the Government will remove the prohibition through amendments to Mr Lawless's Bill, so that the proposals can pass through the Oireachtas well in advance of Good Friday 2018.

A Government source said: "While the Bill would, if enacted in its current form, permit the sale of intoxicating liquor on Good Friday in public houses and off-licences, it would not permit such sales in other categories of licensed premises, such as restaurants and hotels. Moreover, it would not apply in the case of registered clubs. It would therefore introduce further anomalies and unfair trading conditions in respect of the sale of alcohol on Good Friday."

The amendments to be considered by the Cabinet aim to "to remove these anomalies by allowing for the sale of alcohol in all categories of licensed premises on Good Friday".

The Seanad takes one more tiny step forward:

Last call for Good Friday alcohol ban as repeal bill passes Seanad

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0719/891490-good-friday-alcohol/
    RTE wrote:
    Legislation to end the 90-year prohibition on pubs opening on Good Friday has passed all stages in the Seanad.

The Intoxicating Liquor (Amendment) Bill was introduced by independent Senator Billy Lawless, who said today sends a message that "Ireland is a pluralist, globalist, forward-thinking country.

"In my mind the passage of today's ill is another progressive step in Ireland's long journey in the separation of church and State. It is understandable when lawmakers try to introduce legislation that changes a practice that has been in place for almost 100 years, people pause to reflect, yet this is what lawmaking is about. There is an affinity to the closed day but that affinity is in fact leading to alcohol abuse in many cases."

Senator Lawless pointed out that the legislation applies beyond pubs and all restaurants and other licensed premises will be able to open on Good Friday after the bill is passed through the D and signed into law by the President.

He said that to reduce binge drinking in Ireland we need to reduce low cost alcohol from licensed premises.

• Advertisement

Ladies and Gentleman, let us behold the future.

Anybody around for beers on the evening of Friday, 30th March?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/weary-of-dry-good-fridays-green-light-for-alcohol-sale-on-holy-day-1.3368658
    For the first time in the State’s history people will be able to drink legally in pubs on Good Friday after legislation was passed in the D today to permit the holy day opening.

The sale of alcohol on Good Friday will also be allowed in hotels, off-licences, restaurants, registered clubs, holiday camps and other licensed premises. Hotels will be permitted to sell alcohol to guests at any time on Good Friday and no longer only when it is served with a meal, which is currently the law.

Minister of State for Justice David Stanton, introducing the Intoxicating Liquor (Amendment) Bill, said the restrictions on the sale of alcohol have remained largely untouched since 1922.

But “economic and social life has changed dramatically over last two decades, and tourism, changing demographics and increasing diversity has led to reduction in traditional religious practice”.

Mr Stanton said the restrictions “are no longer in tune with today’s Ireland”.

Fianna F justice spokesman Jim O’Callaghan described the ban on the sale of alcohol on Good Friday as “an anti-republican measure”.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Not just a good Friday. A great Friday.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The end of this thread,

To those that claim its awful to end such a tradition, well, would they like to reinstate the no pubs open on St Patricks day tradition that existed for around 40 years? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Bittersweet victory, I did enjoy being bold and getting slaughtered in protest. I'll just have to continue on getting slaughtered in memoriam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'm not actually happy about this, I am an atheist and am no fan of the RCC but surely one day with the pubs closed is something we can put up with ?
    This day was a guaranteed day off for people working in the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,093 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm not actually happy about this, I am an atheist and am no fan of the RCC but surely one day with the pubs closed is something we can put up with ?

Done to death. No I shouldn't have to put up with it, even though I'd go to the pub less than a dozen days a year I get to choose which days they are. A bank holiday Friday is one of the days I and a lot of people would be likely to go.
    This day was a guaranteed day off for people working in the trade.

Again done to death. What good is a day off when everything is closed? And many pubs make the staff come in for cleaning / painting / maintenance.

Bar staff have the same legal entitlements to days off as anyone else - and just because a pub can open on any particular day doesn't mean it has to.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A bank holiday Friday is one of the days I and a lot of people would be likely to go.
    What... its still a bank holiday?
    Our work is not yet done :pac:

recedite wrote: »
    What... its still a bank holiday?
    Our work is not yet done :pac:

It's never been a public holiday. What days banks open or close on is their own business.

It's the Friday of a bankpublic holiday weekend though which makes it a good day for going out etc. At least, it will be from now on :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At least, it will be from now on :)
    A lot of people go home for Easter, like they do for Xmas. I expect the rural pubs will by the biggest beneficiaries of this change.

My birthday often falls around the Easter weekend. I will be having my birthday drinks on Good Friday this year, because I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Will have some form of drink Good Friday like every other year and AT HOME like every other year too! Probably wine or beer with a DVD. Pubs can do what they like. Nothing worthwhile anymore in them. Opening on Good Friday is irrelevant the way they are at this stage.

Atheists in the Pub will be holding their first ever Good Friday beers this evening at 8pm in the Hairy Lemon, a minute’s walk from Gradton Street.

https://atheist.ie/events/event/first-ever-good-friday-edition-of-atheists-in-the-pub-dublin-2018/

Be there or be somewhere else, but be in a pub :)

Didn't see your post in time Robin and we probably wouldn't have been able to make it into town anyway, but Mr and Mrs D did enjoy a few good Friday libations in our local hostelries :cool:

Pubs will certainly not be open this Friday... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pubs will certainly not be open this Friday... :(

Nope :)

God couldn't keep them closed but a virus did. Both say they are real and yet unseen except for the effects they have in people and society. Yet only 1 people say is a figment of the imagination...the irony is probably lost here though :)

• Advertisement

Don't know what you're so happy about. Taking pleasure in the illness and death of others, and the isolation of millions more?

Viruses certainly do exist and with the right equipment we can see them, get back to me when you've invented an electron godoscope

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Both say they are real and yet unseen except for the effects they have in people and society. Yet only 1 people say is a figment of the imagination...the irony is probably lost here though :)

I thought this was just a joke FB meme, but you actually believe it? How embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Nope :)

God couldn't keep them closed but a virus did. Both say they are real and yet unseen except for the effects they have in people and society. Yet only 1 people say is a figment of the imagination...the irony is probably lost here though :)

There is a test for coronavirus that involves taking samples from people's mouth/nose and testing for coronavirus genetic material. Do you have an equivalent test for god?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There is a test for coronavirus that involves taking samples from people's mouth/nose and testing for coronavirus genetic material. Do you have an equivalent test for god?

If I was a God Id turn myself into an infected bat and **** on atheists first then let it take its own course...

nthclare wrote: »
    If I was a God Id turn myself into an infected bat and **** on atheists first then let it take its own course...
    nthclare has been carded for gross incivility.

Before you return to post again in A+A, please read the forum charter, paying special attention to the First Commandment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

robindch wrote: »
    nthclare has been carded for gross incivility.

Before you return to post again in A+A, please read the forum charter, paying special attention to the First Commandment.

Ye took the bait and obviously you didn't see the irony in my post.

I ain't religious, but sure obviously ye couldn't see the metaphorical message behind my post.

MOD

nthclare is taking the day off to enable them to read the charter before posting in this forum again.

Advertisement