Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STEVIE WONDER 3 Arena Tuesday, July 9th 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beecee

Peter File wrote: »
    Sound engineer for the artist is at fault. Acoustics are excellent in the 3arena. Lazy sound engineers are the problem for poor sound in there.

Yep, sound for Tame Impala was superb for example!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Burty330 wrote: »
    The O2 is a chithole. You really have to see these bands/performers in other venues to realize how bad the sound is in that place is.

The 02/3Arena gets blamed for sound really unfairly. Having been to loads of gigs in there most of which have good to great sound it's the production team for the occasional dud.

Sound was excellent in there for Eagles Monday night - I could hear nuances in the tracks I haven't before.

I wish poster you'd been with me on Saturday night for The Who at Wembley Stadium. It was like listening to them through a mudbath.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Sound engineer for the artist is at fault. Acoustics are excellent in the 3arena. Lazy sound engineers are the problem for poor sound in there.

No, the place produces a flat muddled sound since it was the Point Depot.

I know plenty of people who would sooner travel further afield than go to the o2.

Its a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

would stevie have his own sound engineer or is it a 3 arena guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Patrick Freyne seems to give more of a balanced review in the Irish Times which tallies with some of the posts here. https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/stevie-wonder-in-dublin-a-wondrous-night-of-transcendent-music-and-some-iffy-stuff-1.3952282

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

No, the place produces a flat muddled sound since it was the Point Depot.

I know plenty of people who would sooner travel further afield than go to the o2.

Its a dump.

The fact that you keep referring to it as the o2 and say that the sound is the same as it was in the point, when it has undergone a dramatic change since its Point days, suggests that you haven't been there in a long while.

To be honest, I'm generally not that mad about 3 Arena gigs. They usually feel packed, in terms of getting in, getting to the bar, and having no room to dance etc. Sometimes, these factors decrease my enjoyment of a gig to the point (sorry) that I don't enjoy the gig as much as I would a festival or Olympia gig. But this isn't due to the sound quality in the venue itself, which is usually very good.

As an aside, two of the better gigs I've seen in recent years have been there - the Arcade Fire boxing ring gig last year and Tame Impala earlier this year. Both class. Both sounded excellent.

I kinda feel dirty that I have to speak up for the 3 Arena, but sure there ya go!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

No gig is worth passing the 100 euro mark...it's become the new normal now and there's nothing we can do

There is one thing we can do - don't go. As a result, I've missed lots of the legendary bands/artists who have played here over the last few years. But I've seen plenty good quality current bands around the €40-60 mark who have been great. I don't really think even those gigs are worth €40-60, but at least if its a poor show you aren't down too much!

The fact that you keep referring to it as the o2 and say that the sound is the same as it was in the point, when it has undergone a dramatic change since its Point days, suggests that you haven't been there in a long while.

To be honest, I'm generally not that mad about 3 Arena gigs. They usually feel packed, in terms of getting in, getting to the bar, and having no room to dance etc. Sometimes, these factors decrease my enjoyment of a gig to the point (sorry) that I don't enjoy the gig as much as I would a festival or Olympia gig. But this isn't due to the sound quality in the venue itself, which is usually very good.

As an aside, two of the better gigs I've seen in recent years have been there - the Arcade Fire boxing ring gig last year and Tame Impala earlier this year. Both class. Both sounded excellent.

I kinda feel dirty that I have to speak up for the 3 Arena, but sure there ya go!

Its so bad in there even renowned live acts like Tool , Pearl Jam , Depeche Mode , RHCP 2017 sounded flat. I saw each band in different venues and the difference in sound quality was glaring.

Its no surprise Wonder has caused mass disappointment , which once again can be out down to the o2 being a terrible venue.

Us typical Micks aren't going to criticize the only venue we have and will happily continue putting lipstick on the hog that is the OHH TWO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The Nal wrote: »
    Yup. People think its "well worth the money".

:confused:

The annoying thing is that it inflates the market here for other gigs.

Need to take a leaf from the Italians books, where they pay far less than we do for gigs.

Streisand concert cancelled amid price row

This line from the article sums it up perfectly:

"I went online to find a ticket for a friend who is a huge Streisand fan," said Manuela, 23, a Rome-based law student who complained to Codacons. "But I needed to spend around €400 for an average seat, which is too much for me, for most Italians and is a form of social discrimination."

YUP

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Its so bad in there even renowned live acts like Tool , Pearl Jam , Depeche Mode , RHCP 2017 sounded flat. I saw each band in different venues and the difference in sound quality was glaring.

Its no surprise Wonder has caused mass disappointment , which once again can be out down to the o2 being a terrible venue.

Us typical Micks aren't going to criticize the only venue we have and will happily continue putting lipstick on the hog that is the OHH TWO

Im pretty sure Tool havent played the 3Arena.

Ive never had an issue with the 3Arena when ive went to gigs there , sound is usually spot on (example would be Eagles on monday). As people have said sometimes bad sound can come down to Front of House engineer

• Advertisement

Ive never had an issue with the 3Arena when ive went to gigs there , sound is usually spot on (example would be Eagles on monday). As people have said sometimes bad sound can come down to Front of House engineer

02 is just the Point Depot with a face lift. Its still the same warehouse that produces a flat , muddled sound.

As i already said , you have to see the same bands elsewhere to notice how bad the sound is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

They played the Point in 2006 apparently which doesn't really count as it was an entirely different venue. I never actually went to a gig in the old point but apparently the sound was terrible. Have been to plenty in 3arena (including Pearl Jam which was excellent) and have to say 9 times out of 10 the sound is great and the venue was quite obviously rebuilt with gigs in mind. I haven't been to a tonne of arenas but those that I have been to it certainly ranks pretty high in comparison (much better sound quality than London's O2 arena for example).

The remark about not criticising a venue is just weird, I don't think anyone would have any issues criticising a venue if it was warranted, for example I think the Olympia is a horrible venue for gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

02 is just the Point Depot with a face lift. Its still the same warehouse that produces a flat , muddled sound.

As i already said , you have to see the same bands elsewhere to notice how bad the sound is in there.

Talking through your backside now a 70 million spend with the stage turned 90 degrees does not make it the same warehouse.
    The sound engineer supplied to the venue is the cause of the problem not the venue itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Slightly off topic here, but I've been to loads of gigs in the point/3 arena.

Biggest problems I come across is the noise from people yapping all the way through the concert and going up/down/up stairs all night to get drink.

Last Saturday at the Eagles we had to tell a crowd of women behind us who probably only knew Hotel California to shut it! Otherwise we would have had gig ruined for us. I think they thought they were at a hen party!

We are crying out for a proper run venue where you cannot constantly get up and down or buy drink at any time etc. And be in your seat before it starts.

Rant over!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What you're saying makes no sense from an engineering and scientific point of view . It's as if you've literally made something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/absolutely-devastated-fans-hit-out-over-poor-sound-at-stevie-wonder-gig-38298384.html

Another review from the Indo.
    Just as an aside, Stuart Clarke from HP gave this gig a great review.
    This guy has to keep onside with the promoters so he'll continue getting his freebies to all the gigs.
    Bad reviews, he wont be asked again.
    Betcha he wouldn't be so gushing if he had to pay like a normal punter
    Haven't ever heard him giving a less than positive review to any gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/absolutely-devastated-fans-hit-out-over-poor-sound-at-stevie-wonder-gig-38298384.html

Another review from the Indo.
    Just as an aside, Stuart Clarke from HP gave this gig a great review.
    This guy has to keep onside with the promoters so he'll continue getting his freebies to all the gigs.
    Bad reviews, he wont be asked again.
    Betcha he wouldn't be so gushing if he had to pay like a normal punter
    Haven't ever heard him giving a less than positive review to any gig.

Hotpress announced the rammstein gig last week but if you didn't know who they were the article would make you think they are nazi sex offenders

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I'm not sure are they lazy ,tone deaf or just incompetent .

A good sound engineer can make all the difference .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Widescreen wrote: »

We are crying out for a proper run venue where you cannot constantly get up and down or buy drink at any time etc. And be in your seat before it starts.

We have it, National Concert Hall. It's a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The O2 is a chithole. You really have to see these bands/performers in other venues to realize how bad the sound is in that place is.

I've been to a good few gigs there, it has great sound when done right. The poor sound was not due to the venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Theres usually a sound issue when the seats are up with the large standing area. The sound gets bounced to the back, travels around the concession stand area and echoes back into the arena.

Its a shíte venue unless its set up with the smaller standing area and the seating area holds the sound. Then its just a very average venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Agree regarding cost. usually refuse to pay more than 100 myself. It's just greed.

The point is a great venue. You get the same sound engineer experts on every gig thread giving out about the sound quality and people drinking etc....yawn....just go to a gig, have a beer and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

petros1980 wrote: »
    Agree regarding cost. usually refuse to pay more than 100 myself. It's just greed.

The point is a great venue. You get the same sound engineer experts on every gig thread giving out about the sound quality and people drinking etc....yawn....just go to a gig, have a beer and enjoy it

People are always gonna drink at gigs, i do myself, there's no issue with people drinking.
    It's when people are scuttered, and shout talking to each other throughout the whole gig.
    It is a problem, but at least if you've got standing tickets, you can move about to get away from people that are full to the neck, and you can also move to find a spot with decent sound too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭ooter

when he was speaking i literally couldn't hear a word he was saying, sound was dreadful. but when he sang he was brilliant, for once in my life was quality.
    didn't get the DJ bit or the backing singers, looked to me like they were just trying to fill time to get it over the 2 hour mark. that thing SW did with the yoke in his mouth was baffling and then fluting around on the other instrument for about 10 mins before finally playing imagine was.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yup just take the 160 quid ticket price and dodgy sound up the ass and shut up eh?

Theres a good paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

ooter wrote: »
    when he was speaking i literally couldn't hear a word he was saying, sound was dreadful. but when he sang he was brilliant, for once in my life was quality.
    didn't get the DJ bit or the backing singers, looked to me like they were just trying to fill time to get it over the 2 hour mark. that thing SW did with the yoke in his mouth was baffling and then fluting around on the other instrument for about 10 mins before finally playing imagine was.:confused::confused:

Sounds like he was using a vocoder. A lot of 1970s funk artists used them (Herbie Hancock in particular). In fact Joe Walsh used one the night before in the same venue.

Anyone any vids of last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Nonsense. Seen Eddie Vedder, Roger Waters twice and Black Sabbath there and the sound was fantastic. If the sound is bad it's the soundman's fault and no one else's. And that soundman would be the artist's soundman, not the house engineer.

It really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Take a holiday with this flat earth reductive nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Any talk of the 3 Arena being a generally bad venue for sound is pure nonsense, windup talk and should immediately be disregarded.

I'm in a very lucky position that my girlfriend gets complimentary tickets to see some acts via work, so we've been to quite a lot of gigs at various venues. The 3 Arena is incredibly consistent, especially compared to other larger venues I've attended.

I can only think of two gigs I've been to there when the sound has been poor and it's certainly a case of the engineer and their team not setting things up correctly or noticing the issue. It's a very good venue, with great viewing options and good sound.

As for people yapping at concerts. It's getting far worse. I'm all for having a good time but it baffles me why some people pay money to see a gig, then spend 90% of the time chatting. Go, have a few drinks, dance, enjoy yourself, but save the gossip for outside. The staff then to do very little either when things are reported to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

The Nal wrote: »
    Yup just take the 160 quid ticket price and dodgy sound up the ass and shut up eh?

Theres a good paddy.

Is that what I said? Twat. I don't pay 160 quid for gigs. And I'm not one of these spanners like yourself who goes to gigs just to complain about the sound quality online afterwards.

Not saying it wasn't bad last night, as there seem to be a lot of complaints. But it can't be bad at every gig held there; again unless you're a spanner who just goes looking for issues with the sound

Advertisement