Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STEVIE WONDER 3 Arena Tuesday, July 9th 2019

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

ollkiller wrote: »
    Nonsense. Seen Eddie Vedder, Roger Waters twice and Black Sabbath there and the sound was fantastic. If the sound is bad it's the soundman's fault and no one else's. And that soundman would be the artist's soundman, not the house engineer.

It really is that simple.

Sound for Sabbath was spot on actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

It's a real scourge - Irish people's inability to stay seated for 2 hours without an alcoholic drink. The last few concerts I've been were awful.

Its the same at rugby matches. I mentioned the same thing on the Rugby forum after the Heineken Cup QF between Ulster and Leinster. The atmosphere at the start of the match was the best I've seen at a game and it was played with such intensity but I spent more time standing up letting people in/out do they could go to the bar was shocking. Similar to other reactions here, people think you're a dry poo if you get annoyed by people drinking and it being an inconvenience to others. By all means have your drink but please have some consideration for those who want focus their attention on what's actually going on be it a game, performance etc.

I went to see Des Bishop in a local theatre about 2 years ago and there was people literally walking across the front of the stage to go and get a round of drinks.

Personally I think it's the height of bad manners and disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's a real scourge - Irish people's inability to stay seated for 2 hours without an alcoholic drink. The last few concerts I've been were awful.

Its the same at rugby matches. I mentioned the same thing on the Rugby forum after the Heineken Cup QF between Ulster and Leinster. The atmosphere at the start of the match was the best I've seen at a game and it was played with such intensity but I spent more time standing up letting people in/out do they could go to the bar was shocking. Similar to other reactions here, people think you're a dry poo if you get annoyed by people drinking and it being an inconvenience to others. By all means have your drink but please have some consideration for those who want focus their attention on what's actually going on be it a game, performance etc.

I went to see Des Bishop in a local theatre about 2 years ago and there was people literally walking across the front of the stage to go and get a round of drinks.

At one point during Eddie Vedder I had a look around and it was like the gig was over..at least 1000 people just walking around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Irish concert tickets are Giffen Goods. The more expensive they are, the higher the demand. Every knobhead will turn up for Stevie Wonder. He sits on the stage, playing his favourite songs and people think it is amazing. Joke's on you.

It is an Irish trait. Irish people love getting one up on the neighbours, small town mentality. One of the many, many reasons I left Ireland. and have never looked back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

IIRC, Christy Moore used to ask for the bar to be closed during his gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,539 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Irish concert tickets are Giffen Goods. The more expensive they are, the higher the demand. Every knobhead will turn up for Stevie Wonder. He sits on the stage, playing his favourite songs and people think it is amazing. Joke's on you.

It is an Irish trait. Irish people love getting one up on the neighbours, small town mentality. One of the many, many reasons I left Ireland. and have never looked back.

Seriously what a sh1te and bitter post. All proven wrong by gig not being sold out. Tickets were still available yesterday.

You looked back just now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Those of us who have been on Boards for a long time have a vague memory of writs being issued by one large promoter some years back because he didn't like what people were saying on this site about one of his less well organised (yet still prohibitively expensive) shows. It got to the stage, as I remember, that all mention of the company was prohibited by Mods because of fears of legal repercussions.

So much for "the customer is always right".

But then he went and ****ed up a Barbara Streisand concert and found he couldn't be as dismissive of her well heeled fans as he could for a bunch of sweaty rockers. Cause they knew lawyers too. In fact, many of them probably WERE lawyers!

Karma. :)

Anyway, careful who you slag off. Alls I'm sayin'

You must be joking?! Hardly slagged them off now in fairness?! Just spoke the truth. Nothing I said is in any way libellous. I didn’t mention any particular promoter either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its obvious from that video clip that that his mic is being kept low , for whatever reason ,

the rest sounds good

id blame the engineer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

maximoose wrote: »
    When they walked out on stage in 3arena my OH asked me "is it a him or a them?", I said I think it's technically a him.. miliseconds later Kevin says "We are Tame Impala" and she loved telling me I was wrong :pac:

He was using the royal "we"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Peter File wrote: »
    Sound engineer for the artist is at fault. Acoustics are excellent in the 3arena. Lazy sound engineers are the problem for poor sound in there.

The acoustics are not great in the 3 arena.... due to the physicals of the room...even though it has been improved since the point. the issue is a lot of touring engineers dont have the skill / desire to compensate for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I left Ireland and never looked back. Well, apart from staying on Boards, obviously, to comment gleefully on the ****ness of Irish life. Way to not look back, buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭ooter

Someone has uploaded one hour twenty mins of the gig.

looks like it's the whole show with the DJ set and the backing singers taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭MattressRick

More like keeping in touch with home if you're still on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

Anyone know the name of the DJ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Someone has uploaded one hour twenty mins of the gig.

What possible enjoyment could you get standing there like a dick holding your phone for 2+ hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Now that's quite a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Wooderson wrote: »
    Loads of silly bucketlisters bigging this one up. It was a mess. One of the worst shows ive seen.

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

ooter wrote: »
    when he was speaking i literally couldn't hear a word he was saying, sound was dreadful. but when he sang he was brilliant, for once in my life was quality.
    didn't get the DJ bit or the backing singers, looked to me like they were just trying to fill time to get it over the 2 hour mark. that thing SW did with the yoke in his mouth was baffling and then fluting around on the other instrument for about 10 mins before finally playing imagine was.:confused::confused:

Its called jamming, musicians do it all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Having a good laugh at all the complainers on here, you all sound like you've never been to a gig before. It's Stevie Wonder ffs(a blind 70 year old with health issues) he's aloud to have a break. As someone who works as a sound engineer if the sound quality is good in a youtube video then it has to even better there in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Many, many reasons...... this would be an interesting list! I presume the fact that we drive on the left would be another?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

The acoustics are not great in the 3 arena.... due to the physicals of the room...even though it has been improved since the point. the issue is a lot of touring engineers dont have the skill / desire to compensate for it.

THIS

I have a close family member in the business whom a couple of years back whilst reeling off some of the gigs he's produced for gave me his answer to the question of why the sound is so sh*&e in the [insert venue]. His answer was that its a complex thing & that you can only please some of the people most of the time if its a not for purpose gaff i.e. The Point, Lansdowne Rd, RDS, Croker etc. versus likes of NCH, Convention Centre (v.good apparently) Olympia...

He referred to the Point (Three, whatever you're having yourself I wont bow to corporate naming on any venue) as "the shed" and how its the equivalent of the engineer being handed a situation where he's already 2-0 down at halftime. Most engineers love that kind of challenge, some don't, some don't get enough time, maybe have non-ideal tour rigging on the truck, don't engage with the locals etc. etc.

there's a plethora of things going on but it's down to the sound engineer & those various factors.

In Stevie Wonder's scenario there was one additional issue - the mic on his traditional baby grand rig was definitely compromised & they never got it sorted at any point....chalk & cheese compared to the one on his organ rig. and I think on balance fair fupps to him for even coming to Dublin given his present issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Peter File wrote: »
    Sound engineer for the artist is at fault. Acoustics are excellent in the 3arena. Lazy sound engineers are the problem for poor sound in there.

Correct. Sound was perfect for the Eagles the night before.

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Having a good laugh at all the complainers on here, you all sound like you've never been to a gig before. It's Stevie Wonder ffs(a blind 70 year old with health issues) he's aloud to have a break. As someone who works as a sound engineer if the sound quality is good in a youtube video then it has to even better there in person.

you work as a sound engineer or you ARE a sound engineer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

People on Eagles thread said sound was great for them, must be bad sound mixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

People on Eagles thread said sound was great for them, must be bad sound mixing.

Its not that simple. Stevie has a lot more musicians on stage.

Some venues are a bit crap. The Three is one of them. Very hit and miss.

Roger Waters sound was incredible for example, as was Neil Youngs, the Prodigys was as good as Ive heard but Ive been to gigs where theres been a lot of echo because of the venue, also muffled sound because of the venue etc.

Its also a soulless kip of a place but thats another conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

The Nal wrote: »
    Its not that simple. Stevie has a lot more musicians on stage.

Some venues are a bit crap. The Three is one of them. Very hit and miss.

Roger Waters sound was incredible for example, as was Neil Youngs, the Prodigys was as good as Ive heard but Ive been to gigs where theres been a lot of echo because of the venue, also muffled sound because of the venue etc.

Its also a soulless kip of a place but thats another conversation.

I think your good self said it in another post, if the standing area downstairs is wide open leading into the concession area then a lot of the sound gets lost. If that's what you meant then I agree with that, the sound was dreadful for Kylie Minogue last October and if those curtains downstairs are left open with people milling around then the atmosphere is shot there and then.

Most of the time though they get it right and it's easy access in and out. I was at Wembley Stadium Sat night for The Who, the sound was disgraceful and Pete Townshend apologized. A much tighter pitch area than Croker but then higher stands and capacity. So as if the band is playing in a giant tin can and the muffled sound ricochets back and forth.

Having looked at that Stevie video I have to say it all seems very sad (in the melancholy sense). Clearly the show was padded out as he's not in the best of health but still wanted to perform. Having said that punters are entitled to value for money and this wasn't it. Given the ticket price and the design of the show to facilitate Stevie those sound engineers who screwed up the actual live element should get their P45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Nal wrote: »
    It's not that simple. Stevie has a lot more musicians on stage.

Not so. I think Stevie had eleven musicians, including himself, plus the backing singers. Eagles' lineup depended on whether Don Henley was on drums, percussion or guitar, but - for simplicity - if he was on drums, they had either nine or thirteen on stage, depending on whether the horn section was on or not. Four guitars, bass, piano, keyboards, drums, percussion, plus the four piece horn section, where required. Six of the musicians sing, and the harmonies are crucial. It might not be a full-on Motown extravaganza, but it's not unreasonable as a comparison.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

Number of musicians on stage is not the problem, and not in a tour where the sound engineer is used to mixing such a set-up.

The best sound I've heard at gigs in recent years were at two Hans Zimmer shows in the 3 Arena. Between band, orchestra and choir, there were well over 60 sound sources to mix from the stage plus who knows how many tracks. It helps though that Zimmer's tour did months of pre-production/planning and weeks of tech rehearsals before going on the road. Not speaking for Stevie and co., but not every touring act puts nearly that level of preparation or care into planning a tour.

These wouldn't be my favourite bands, but U2 rent out an arena for a week to prepare for their upcoming tours, Coldplay fill stadiums with speakers and had maximum sound coverage for their last Croke Park gig. There are bands and acts putting great effort into their live sound, but there are also too many 'just get it up, get it done, get it out' merchants on the road who are charging top dollar for a sub-par audio experience.

As for the 3 Arena and sound - I can't honestly think of a gig I went into in there where the sound ruined the gig for me or was even a major issue. When I think of 'worst sound at a gig', two come to mind - Neil Young and Crazy Horse at the RDS in 2013, and Modest Mouse in The Helix in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Not so. I think Stevie had eleven musicians, including himself, plus the backing singers. Eagles' lineup depended on whether Don Henley was on drums, percussion or guitar, but - for simplicity - if he was on drums, they had either nine or thirteen on stage, depending on whether the horn section was on or not. Four guitars, bass, piano, keyboards, drums, percussion, plus the four piece horn section, where required. Six of the musicians sing, and the harmonies are crucial. It might not be a full-on Motown extravaganza, but it's not unreasonable as a comparison.

I counted 14 on stage at the Eagles gig monday night. I didnt pay enough attention as to haw many were playing on particular songs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement