Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STEVIE WONDER 3 Arena Tuesday, July 9th 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Got my two standing tickets, and am well happy. Gig is on the night of my birthday too. I didn't want to miss this (potentially last) chance for me to see him live.
    The ticket price is very steep though... :(
    Ah youll have a great night..as you say possibly last chance to see him and on your birthday..perfect!..if i was a big fan id pay up..sure its €50 more per ticket than most gigs and youd spend that on a few drinks/meal anyway.I was looking for somebody else who asked me to check for them yesterday. As you say its how much of a value you put on it..Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Got my two standing tickets, and am well happy. Gig is on the night of my birthday too. I didn't want to miss this (potentially last) chance for me to see him live.
    The ticket price is very steep though... :(

for the money spent, pretend hes dedicating this to you personally:
    https://youtu.be/inS9gAgSENE?t=75

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pinkman

Hopefully he can still deliver tomorrow night given his health issues. The setlist for Hyde park looks good but it's a shame he's leaving out part time lover, uptight and we can work it out.

It's insane how much of a rip off this gig is though. €136 for standing with no support act. Hyde Park only £69 to see him with an entire days worth of support acts including Lionel Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its not a rip off if people keep paying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭nc6000

It looks like there are plenty of tickets are still available.

nc6000 wrote: »
    It looks like there are plenty of tickets are still available.

At those prices they can sell half the tickets and still earn the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

Did they not do a sound check before, sound is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Was the gig as bad as people saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Wooderson

AN ABSOLUTE ****SHOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wooderson wrote: »
    AN ABSOLUTE ****SHOW.

I'd say he saw yee coming, but sure, you know yourself.

I believe there was a DJ set half way through while Stevie and the band just sat on the stage?

Birneybau wrote: »
    I'd say he saw yee coming, but sure, you know yourself.

I believe there was a DJ set half way through while Stevie and the band just sat on the stage?

Depressing how bad it was. I feel so low now. Ten fifteen min version of Imagine? Wtf was that??? Not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Stevie was excellent, especially on Livin for the city, I wish & Sir Duke.
    DJ was on for 50 mins before Stevie, but stayed on.
    For about 30 mins in the middle of the set the DJ played tracks from Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse, David Bowie, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin.
    Stevie didn't sing any of these.
    This was possibly to give Stevie a rest, but at €160 a ticket, it was a swizz.
    Then he introduced his backing singers (7 of them), and the all sang a solo song.
    But it took the biscuit when he sang Imagine and Mrs Ribinson, when he has such a vast back catalogue to pick from.
    However, the audience were up dancing and whooping and a hollerin for everything.
    So maybe I just didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pinkman

As someone who was at the show in 2010 which was incredible, this clearly wasn't on the same level but definitely wasn't bad. When he was belting out the classics be was fantastic and the band are unreal but there was way too many breaks and the DJ set which kept stopping the momentum. It's understandable though given his health issues. Alot of big hits left off tho which is a shame. Amazed how packed it was given how expensive the tickets were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Did he sing anything from The Woman in Red soundtrack - I Just Called or anything else?

I only like 80s funky Stevie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Pinkman wrote: »
    As someone who was at the show in 2010 which was incredible, this clearly wasn't on the same level but definitely wasn't bad. When he was belting out the classics be was fantastic and the band are unreal but there was way too many breaks and the DJ set which kept stopping the momentum. It's understandable though given his health issues. Alot of big hits left off tho which is a shame. Amazed how packed it was given how expensive the tickets were.

Agree with all of this.

The amount of people that were properly drunk was mad, and the amount of chatter during the quieter times was pretty annoying. All in all it was a great night.
    Did he sing anything from The Woman in Red soundtrack - I Just Called or anything else?

I only like 80s funky Stevie.

He played I just called.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It was called The Stevie Wonder Song Party, so no surprise really that it was slightly different to what one would usually expect at a gig.
    I thought he was excellent, I don't regret spending >€120 to hear him, great voice and the music was fantastic.

But yeah, would have loved more Stevie.
    I think we can all agree that we could have done without the solos from each of the backing singers, and the DJ was okay but preferably in small(er) doses.

As if you read my mind
    Master Blaster (Jammin)
    Don't you worry about a thing
    Higher Ground
    You are the sunshine of my life
    For once in my life
    Overjoyed
    Living for the city
    I wish
    You and I
    Signed sealed delivered
    Sir Duke
    My Cherie Amour
    I just called to say I love you.
    Imagine
    Superstition

I've probably forgotten something, would love to have heard Lately and I ain't gonna stand for it, but you can't please all the people all of the time.
    Still a great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I thought it was an incredible gig, well worth the money.

The sound was a but iffy during the first song, but they got it sorted pretty quickly.

• Advertisement

I thought it was an incredible gig, well worth the money.

The sound was a but iffy during the first song, but they got it sorted pretty quickly.

Paid €320 for two tickets.
    Listening to a DJ and cover versions is not my idea of "well worth the money"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

How do the promoters in Ireland get away with charging these prices for tickets? Is it because we are just mugs and they know we'll pay it?

170e for a concert ticket is absolutely extortionate and then to hear that the gig wasn't even that good with DJ's and backing singers all getting a look in :mad:

leahyl wrote: »
    How do the promoters in Ireland get away with charging these prices for tickets? Is it because we are just mugs and they know we'll pay it?

Yup. People think its "well worth the money".

:confused:

The annoying thing is that it inflates the market here for other gigs.

Need to take a leaf from the Italians books, where they pay far less than we do for gigs.

Streisand concert cancelled amid price row

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Paid €320 for two tickets.
    Listening to a DJ and cover versions is not my idea of "well worth the money"

I understand that.
    For me stevie was on form and played out of his skin.
    We may nit see him here again, so for me, it was worth it.
    One ticked off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

The O2 is a chithole. You really have to see these bands/performers in other venues to realize how bad the sound is in that place is.

Loads of silly bucketlisters bigging this one up. It was a mess. One of the worst shows ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Seen him at a festival in London for half the price of this nearly ten years ago.

Really good no bull**** on stage and brilliant atmosphere.

I'm bascially done with gigs over here unless it's something I have to see. The money you have to pay for tickets is a ****ing joke. Then add in the sound is ****e most time and majority of the crowd are only there to have chat and a dance.

Waste of time and money.
    Be better off saving the cash and watching a live performance at home ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

And then with the ridiculous ticket prices comes the outrageous price for accommodation and then petrol money/transport money. At least if you live in Dublin you can go home to your own bed. :mad:

Anyway, sort of hijacking the Stevie Wonder thread now just to have a rant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

Burty330 wrote: »
    The O2 is a chithole. You really have to see these bands/performers in other venues to realize how bad the sound is in that place is.
    Sound engineer for the artist is at fault. Acoustics are excellent in the 3arena. Lazy sound engineers are the problem for poor sound in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

leahyl wrote: »
    And then with the ridiculous ticket prices comes the outrageous price for accommodation and then petrol money/transport money. At least if you live in Dublin you can go home to your own bed. :mad:

Anyway, sort of hijacking the Stevie Wonder thread now just to have a rant :pac:
    No gig is worth passing the 100 euro mark...it's become the new normal now and there's nothing we can do

Advertisement