Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manic Street Preachers, Olympia, 12th of May 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭laros

Richie will be spinning in his grave. If he is dead.

Did the Manics not support Bon Jovi in 1993 ...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

BPKS wrote: »
    I felt a bit of vomit coming up when I read that.

Richie will be spinning in his grave. If he is dead.

Sure he will...

"When you've agreed to do a gig," picks up Richey, "it almost seems pointless to rebel. We did agree, and played to 120,000 people who didn't know who we are, or what we're supposed to be. But just seeing our T-shirt on a board, with the 'All Rock 'N' Roll Is Homosexual' backprint, made it all worthwhile!"

...Taken from Kerrang in 93 after having supported Bon Jovi that summer. :D

http://articles.richeyedwards.net/4dec93kerrang2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I always remember a quote from Nicky Wire in some metal mag back in the day, it was actually something he said to the crowd at the Phoenix Festival in 1993: 'Roll on Bon Jovi, it'll be better than this fkin sh!t!'

And lo and behold, I found the piece. And then I remembered the '10 bands who the Manics wish were dead' :pac::pac:

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msppedia/index.php?title=Manic_Milton_Keynes!_-_RAW,_15th_September_1993

Motormouth Manic Street Preachers guitarist Richey James and bassist Nicky Wire stir up more controversy for Howard Johnson on the eve of their support slot at the Milton Keynes Bon Jovi bash!

The Manics are in town, the sun is shining and all is right with the world. With 'Gold Against The Soul', the band's second album, having warmed the cockles of Hard Rock hearts, it's time for the boys to take their contentious vision of white guitar trash right into the belly of the beast, with a much-coveted slot opening for Bon Jovi alongside Billy Idol and Little Angels at Milton Keynes Bowl on September 18th. There'll be a new single, 'Roses In The Hospital', to coincide, but guitarist Richey James has been more busy working out the riff to 'Livin' On A Prayer' (“'cos I was told it's easy!") while bassist Nicky Wire has been regaling the audience at The Phoenix Festival, telling the too-trendy tossers: "Roll on Bon Jovi. it'll be better than this f**kin' ****!" Ah, we love The Manics, us!

"People are so concerned with what's trendy and what's not trendy," explains Richey. "If we were going out on tour with Rollins, then nobody would bat an eyelid. Because it's Bon Jovi, people are going 'you can't do that... just because you can't!' Well we always agreed to be used so that we could play music to people who hadn't heard us before, that was the whole point. Our attitude was always if someone got us a gig, we'd f**kin' play it. We would play with any f**ker!" Indeed they still will. When they prove that aggro and angst can mix at Milton Keynes, you'll be mighty glad of it!

TEN LITERARY OR HISTORICAL FIGURES WHO WOULD HAVE MADE KILLER ROCK STARS

LENIN

Nicky: "He was so dedicated that he slept on a bed of nails! He was fully focussed and pure and was more scary than Rollins!"

SHANNON FROM 'NIGHT OF THE IGUANA' BY TENNESSEE WILLIAMS

Richey: "He was a really poetic, sad, drunken loser and was far better at it than Morrissey!"

R.P. McCMURPHEY FROM 'ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST' BY KEN KESEY

Nicky: "The ultimate nutter, non-conformist, pissed ,drug addict, Rock 'n' Roll rebel. Ozzy with intelligence!"

ELIZABETH TAYLOR PLAYING MAGGIE IN 'CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF'

Richey: "She could have outscreamed Janis Joplin!"

GEORGE BEST

Richey: "He was the coolest man alive and he would have got the best women. He would have put Adam Clayton to shame. He was actually asked once why he'd only slept with three out of the seven Miss Worlds at the time and he answered that he was too pissed on the other three nights!"

NEMESIS THE WARLOCK FROM 2000 AD

Richey: "He's the fire-breathing demon from the edge of your dreams, so he would have been the ultimate Heavy Metal frontman."

ALBERT CARUS THE FRENCH NOVELIST AND PHILOSOPHER

Nicky: "He was the coolest and smartest writer ever-and he loved football. Kinda like an intellectual Happy Mondays!"

'PATRICK BATEMAN FROM 'AMERICAN PSYCHO' BY BRET EASTON ELLIS

Richey: "He would have out-snorted Aerosmith ten to one! The most decadent man on the planet."

VINCENT VAN GOGH

Richey: "He even out-self mutilated Iggy Pop. He would have been the best U.S. underground loser band, because he never would have sold a record! He would have been more credible than Flipper!"

MICHAEL FOOT FORMER LEADER OF THE LABOUR PARTY

Richey: "The Bob Dylan of his generation. He was a great philosopher on the sly and was magnificently grumpy!"

TEN BANDS WHO THE MANICS WISH WERE DEAD

BLACK OAK ARKANSAS

Richey: "I saw a video of them recently and I couldn't believe how completely appalling they were. It was as if they were from another planet!"

THE TIME

Nicky: "The ultimate roadie's hand. Who cares about what Princes backing group did?"

SHOWAODYWADDY

Richey: "When I was little it seemed as if 'Under The Moon Of Love' was at number one for at least a year! I hated the way they used to get the drummer to come to the front of the stage to sing that really low bit!"

MAGNUM

Nicky: "A truly sad band. I want them to go to their graves knowing the misery that they've caused everybody."

XTC

Richey: "I f**kin' hate 'em big time! Everyone at college loved 'em, They were the ultimate in Smug Rock and nobody actually plays their records. People would buy them, put them in a really prominent position in the middle of the bedsit and leave them there!"

STEVE VAI

Richey: "A musician isn't there lust to play as many notes as he possibly can, he's there to express what he feels. No-one would buy a book just because it had the most syllables per page, would they?"

BAD BOYS INC.

Richey: "I saw them on the telly the other day and they were saying how they wanted to appeal to the gay market because their market research had shown that they made up 85% of the pop record-buying public. Pop bands should be all about lunacy and sex, innocent little boys who don't know what the f going on, not demographics!"

JAMES

Nicky: "A totally pretentious pile of ****. Anyone who says they get over a bad gig by practicing Tai Chi and dancing (like James vocalist Tim Booth) has got to be a total wanker. I bet he dances all the time!"

KISS

Richey: "Every American band loves them and when they meet them it's like they're in the presence of Cod. There are million-selling acts like Skid Row and Pantera and they're kissing ass big time."

ACE OF BASS

Nicky: "Simply for bringing European music to Britain!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

There was a very good quote from around the early 90's from one of the Manics about that song "Killing In The Name" by Rage Against The Machine. The chorus as you know goes "F### you I won't do what you tell me".
    I think it was James Dean Bradfield said it was a bit of a silly thing to say as "It was like saying F### you I won't do my homework"
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Hopefully we get treated to some of the TIMTTMY b-sides like Prologue to History

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,477 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Supporting bon Jovi too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Sure he will...

"When you've agreed to do a gig," picks up Richey, "it almost seems pointless to rebel. We did agree, and played to 120,000 people who didn't know who we are, or what we're supposed to be. But just seeing our T-shirt on a board, with the 'All Rock 'N' Roll Is Homosexual' backprint, made it all worthwhile!"

...Taken from Kerrang in 93 after having supported Bon Jovi that summer. :D

http://articles.richeyedwards.net/4dec93kerrang2.html

Cheers. I did not know that.

I suppose they said they were going to split up after Generation Terrorists too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey, somehow I missed this was happening until after the tickets went on sale and promptly sold out. My husband would be over the moon to get to see this gig (the Bon Jovi one not so much) but I see Seatwave aren’t taking any new listings so does anyone know where my best chance of getting a pair of tickets would be? We’ve had the ****tiest year and I’d love to treat him for his birthday next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Hey, somehow I missed this was happening until after the tickets went on sale and promptly sold out. My husband would be over the moon to get to see this gig (the Bon Jovi one not so much) but I see Seatwave aren’t taking any new listings so does anyone know where my best chance of getting a pair of tickets would be? We’ve had the ****tiest year and I’d love to treat him for his birthday next month.
    Keep an eye on twitter #ticketfairy and the toutless.com site. Tickets will appear there at some point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

Anyone else get a standing ticket for this and have problems getting a printed e-ticket. It didn't say it was a ticketless gig but no option at moment for printing a ticket from the App.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Anyone else get a standing ticket for this and have problems getting a printed e-ticket. It didn't say it was a ticketless gig but no option at moment for printing a ticket from the App.

Print at home tickets are not available ,its mobile entry only .
    You can get paper tickets sent out if you wish .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

How the hell they supporting Bon Jovi??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

sasta le wrote: »

They've always had stadium rock aspirations and haven't really hidden it.

That plus a big bag of money I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's not the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Rothko wrote: »

It's not the first time.

In 93 they were early in their career, no excuse now, me girlfriend and mates cant understand it at all, worst pairing in the history of popular music imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

In 93 they were early in their career, no excuse now, me girlfriend and mates cant understand it at all, worst pairing in the history of popular music imo.

Nah, I think Jimi Hendrix supporting the Monkees was a lot worse lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

They cannot rely on album sales, they've a studio they've not long finished which was probably not a small investment. A big wodge of cash for doing support and possibly shifting a bit of merch would be a very tempting prospect.

They cannot rely on album sales, they've a studio they've not long finished which was probably not a small investment. A big wodge of cash for doing support and possibly shifting a bit of merch would be a very tempting prospect.

What Bon Jovi fans like Manics and vice versa? Like putting on Tool and Spice Girls on the same bill. Really pissing on their fans who couldn't get Olympia tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

worst pairing in the history of popular music imo.

slane 2004

Iggy Pop and the Stooges
    Madonna (headliner)

My guess was women being able to drag an unwilling partner along.

Snarky Snark Snark

What Bon Jovi fans like Manics and vice versa? Like putting on Tool and Spice Girls on the same bill. Really pissing on their fans who couldn't get Olympia tickets.

Unlikely that was their intention, but if you're that butthurt about it then write them a strongly worded letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Don't forget that the Manics have had several anthemic chart hits so it would not be in the least bit surprising for Bon Jovi fans to like them

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Another odd support was Paddy Casey supporting Pearl Jam or The Blizzards supporting ACDC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Another odd support was Paddy Casey supporting Pearl Jam or The Blizzards supporting ACDC

Was at that PJ gig(2000 iirc) and poor Paddy didn’t get a great reception!! Strange choice

Was at that PJ gig(2000 iirc) and poor Paddy didn’t get a great reception!! Strange choice

2006?
    Paddy Casey had only just released Amen So Be It in 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey so managed to get two tickets on Viagogo, had never used it and then was terrified afterwards when I read such mixed reviews. Email this morning to say my tickets are being shipped to me today, just wanted to check if anyone else had received tickets yet if they asked for them to be sent out? After seeing people saying they got fake tickets I’m worrying a lot now!

Snarky Snark Snark

Anyone actually receive their tickets for this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Nope

I havent received them either

Snarky Snark Snark

Grand so

My tickets arrived in the post yesterday ( Friday 1st)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Acosta

Don't forget that the Manics have had several anthemic chart hits so it would not be in the least bit surprising for Bon Jovi fans to like them

A few from Generation Terrorists and a some hits and I'd say Bon Jovi fans would be happy enough.

Snarky Snark Snark

laros wrote: »
    My tickets arrived in the post yesterday ( Friday 1st)

Same, surprised they were not the new paper ticket format.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Just got a Resale Ticket from Ticketmaster (standing) so there's another one there if anyone's looking.

Not entirely sure what a resale is.

I think if you can't make the gig, you can put it back on sale? :confused: Their own version of Toutless?

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Just got a Resale Ticket from Ticketmaster (standing) so there's another one there if anyone's looking.

Not entirely sure what a resale is.

I think if you can't make the gig, you can put it back on sale? :confused: Their own version of Toutless?
    toutless do not let you sell above face. This resale thing lashes on another service charge and a handling fee.

However the one I see at the moment is being sold below face value, so is actually cheaper than it would be. The ticket should originally have cost €61.30 including all fees. (€54.50 before fees). So the seller is losing money and ticketmaster get an extra tenner in fees. From what I see they also still get the original service charge too.

Cost Breakdown
    Tickets 1
    €50.00
    Service Charge (inc VAT)
    €7.50
    Handling Fee
    €2.50
    Total to Pay
    €60.00

The cost was what confused me and made me think of Toutless.

I thought €60 seemed too reasonable as any other resale/Viagogo thing was always well above price.

Thanks for the reassurance - half afraid I got swindled caused Ticketmaster in general :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Zwillinge wrote: »
    The cost was what confused me and made me think of Toutless.

I thought €60 seemed too reasonable as any other resale/Viagogo thing was always well above price.

Thanks for the reassurance - half afraid I got swindled caused Ticketmaster in general :pac:
    Is your ticket a mobile ticket then? How did the transfer work?

I got an order confirmation emailed from Ticketmaster with an Order Number for Reference.

It has a breakdown of the costs for €60.

How Will I Recieve My Tickets?
    If eTickets, they'll be emailed otherwise they'll be posted to given address.
    At the end of the email it states: "Once we've completed out checks, we'll be back in touch to confirm how you will receive your tickets."

Waiting game now, I suppose. :o

Have since gotten an email saying that my tickets will be emailed to me 3-4 days before the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pearl787

I put tickets up for resale for a different show and got an email to say they were sold. However I won't receive payment for them until 10 days after the event, which is in July. (!) Very handy that they have this feature now as it saved me trying to sell the tickets myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Zardoz

pearl787 wrote: »
    I put tickets up for resale for a different show and got an email to say they were sold. However I won't receive payment for them until 10 days after the event, which is in July. (!) Very handy that they have this feature now as it saved me trying to sell the tickets myself.

Seems strange that you wont get paid until after the event as I thought Ticketmaster cancel your tickets and issue the buyer with new barcodes .
    I cant see why they need to wait until after the event to pay you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Zardoz wrote: »
    Seems strange that you wont get paid until after the event as I thought Ticketmaster cancel your tickets and issue the buyer with new barcodes .

Agree with this. I'd much rather get rid of the tickets through Toutless or Ticketswap

Zardoz wrote: »

I know it is strange but I guess there's nothing I can do now. I didn't realize I wouldn't get the payment straight away. Its a bit annoying. Still I am glad to have sold them at face value and be free of the hassle of re-selling. Its all done for you

pearl787 wrote: »
    I know it is strange but I guess there's nothing I can do now. I didn't realize I wouldn't get the payment straight away. Its a bit annoying. Still I am glad to have sold them at face value and be free of the hassle of re-selling. Its all done for you
    Do you make much loss from the initial price you paid?

my guess, as I suspect you do too, is that the buyer paid over face value and the seller simply recouped their price. TM being the sly dog scum they are might even hide this from the sellers.

It is a very sneaky way to circumvent touting laws, they still profit hugely and just mask it as ridiculously overpriced "service" and "handling" fees which are all done electronically.

I had said this
    rubadub wrote: »
    toutless do not let you sell above face. This resale thing lashes on another service charge and a handling fee.
    TM seemingly do not let you sell above face either, so the seller cannot profit, but they, TM, sure as hell do.

Well you list the price you want to sell them for (you cannot list higher than you paid), I listed mine just €3 under what I paid. So presumably when this goes through, I'll have this figure back in my account.

There is a disclaimer when you put them up for sale that ticketmaster will sell your tickets at a higher price to cover service costs. But the seller doesn't see what they are actually sold for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I’m looking for one standing ticket if someone has one

Just got two standing on Toutless so still possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Just wondering, would anyone know what the likelihood of meeting the lads before/after the gig would be? I'd imagine hanging around the stage side entrance? Would love to get an autograph.

Just wondering, would anyone know what the likelihood of meeting the lads before/after the gig would be? I'd imagine hanging around the stage side entrance? Would love to get an autograph.
    I have had luck on the side exit there (Sycamore St.) in the past. Be prepared to wait a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

They drink in the Mercantile

I imagine James and Sean will be there for the Liverpool game in the afternoon

That's where I met them a few times before - James was by himself watching the Forest play off game, the time after that they were watching Liverpool v Chelsea in the half 5 game before the Holy Bible gig

• Advertisement
Advertisement