Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manic Street Preachers, Olympia, 12th of May 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Got my two standing after a slight panic when I was asked to submit a new credit card despite being logged in. Sold out now I'm guessing?

Ticketmaster did this with the HB gig too. Released standing tickets the night before the gig.

I got a ticket for Manchester instead because it was just so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Got my tickets in the on the pre-sale in the circle. Going with the missus. We've been together 10 years and this will be our first concert together. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Got two standing as well, but it looks like its sold out now...
    havent seen them since a trip to tipp many moons ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Wtf Sold our already. I didn’t think they were that popular!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Wtf Sold our already. I didn’t think they were that popular!

You didn't think they could sell 1500 tickets ?
    Thats a club gig by their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Strange thing is that the Holy Bible gig didn't sell out quickly (if I remember correctly), but maybe it's because this album is more well-known.

Strange thing is that the Holy Bible gig didn't sell out quickly (if I remember correctly), but maybe it's because this album is more well-known.

I could have sworn the opposite, that it sold out fairly quick. We're so lucky they're doing shows in venues like the Olympia. Can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Just nabbed a couple of tickets in upper circle through the app :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Holy Bible concert sold out in less than 10 mins. It was infuriating trying to get tickets that morning.

They have comfortably filled the Olympia every time they've played it and the Ambassador (2007 I think). Standing tickets always get snapped as they have a pretty loyal fanbase.

• Advertisement

Zardoz wrote: »
    You didn't think they could sell 1500 tickets ?
    Thats a club gig by their standards.

They’re an old 90’s band ffs who’ve done sweet **** all for years.

I’m not surprised it sold out but I’m surprised it sold out so quickly at a high ticket price.

Sounds like it should have been a bigger venue.

Might go see Cast in November now instead. Half the price, decent band. No Manics but should be good all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Zardoz

They’re an old 90’s band ffs who’ve done sweet **** all for years.

:rolleyes:

Have you listened to any of their albums since the 90's ?
    They are one of the best bands in the music industry ,constantly producing good material.
    Phenomenal band live .

Zardoz wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Have you listened to any of their albums since the 90's ?
    They are one of the best bands in the music industry ,constantly producing good material.
    Phenomenal band live .

Yes I have. No need to throw the eyes to heaven. You’re not the only one that’s listened to more than the hits. Ugh.

I agree they’re a good band but they aren’t the most popular band on the planet which is why I assumed I’d pick up a ticket this morning without an issue.

I still think €50 is a bit much but I was willing to pay it as I haven’t seen them in years.

Maybe they’ll add another date. We’ll see.

Ps I know they’re a good band live having already printed out I’ve seen them on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Missed out on tickets this morning, will just have wait until they announce the “special once off gig” in Wales. Swansea was great craic for the EMG tour a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

Got a standing ticket but "You won't receive paper tickets for this event."?
    That's very unusual for a small venue like the Olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Great band, not their most avid listener but I went to see them in the Ambassador years ago and it is one of the gigs I have fondest menories off.

Never got my Dublin tickets in the end and won't be holding out to get any the night before the gig, cause I do have my ticket to one of the Manchester gigs, and how many times would you really wanna stand through TMIT live?

Think the only tour I missed them on since EMG was TMIT 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Manics supporting Bon Jovi on all their UK stadium dates next summer so a possibility of Croke Park too..Def Leppard supporting in Germany.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Manics supporting Bon Jovi on all their UK stadium dates next summer so a possibility of Croke Park too..Def Leppard supporting in Germany.

Oh dear.

They should really then just play Generation Terrorists and Gold Against the Soul stuff for those dates

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I felt a bit of vomit coming up when I read that.

Richie will be spinning in his grave. If he is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

Did the Manics not support Bon Jovi in 1993 ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

BPKS wrote: »
    I felt a bit of vomit coming up when I read that.

Sure he will...

"When you've agreed to do a gig," picks up Richey, "it almost seems pointless to rebel. We did agree, and played to 120,000 people who didn't know who we are, or what we're supposed to be. But just seeing our T-shirt on a board, with the 'All Rock 'N' Roll Is Homosexual' backprint, made it all worthwhile!"

...Taken from Kerrang in 93 after having supported Bon Jovi that summer. :D

http://articles.richeyedwards.net/4dec93kerrang2.html

I always remember a quote from Nicky Wire in some metal mag back in the day, it was actually something he said to the crowd at the Phoenix Festival in 1993: 'Roll on Bon Jovi, it'll be better than this fkin sh!t!'

And lo and behold, I found the piece. And then I remembered the '10 bands who the Manics wish were dead' :pac::pac:

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msppedia/index.php?title=Manic_Milton_Keynes!_-_RAW,_15th_September_1993

Motormouth Manic Street Preachers guitarist Richey James and bassist Nicky Wire stir up more controversy for Howard Johnson on the eve of their support slot at the Milton Keynes Bon Jovi bash!

The Manics are in town, the sun is shining and all is right with the world. With 'Gold Against The Soul', the band's second album, having warmed the cockles of Hard Rock hearts, it's time for the boys to take their contentious vision of white guitar trash right into the belly of the beast, with a much-coveted slot opening for Bon Jovi alongside Billy Idol and Little Angels at Milton Keynes Bowl on September 18th. There'll be a new single, 'Roses In The Hospital', to coincide, but guitarist Richey James has been more busy working out the riff to 'Livin' On A Prayer' (“'cos I was told it's easy!") while bassist Nicky Wire has been regaling the audience at The Phoenix Festival, telling the too-trendy tossers: "Roll on Bon Jovi. it'll be better than this f**kin' ****!" Ah, we love The Manics, us!

"People are so concerned with what's trendy and what's not trendy," explains Richey. "If we were going out on tour with Rollins, then nobody would bat an eyelid. Because it's Bon Jovi, people are going 'you can't do that... just because you can't!' Well we always agreed to be used so that we could play music to people who hadn't heard us before, that was the whole point. Our attitude was always if someone got us a gig, we'd f**kin' play it. We would play with any f**ker!" Indeed they still will. When they prove that aggro and angst can mix at Milton Keynes, you'll be mighty glad of it!

TEN LITERARY OR HISTORICAL FIGURES WHO WOULD HAVE MADE KILLER ROCK STARS

LENIN

Nicky: "He was so dedicated that he slept on a bed of nails! He was fully focussed and pure and was more scary than Rollins!"

SHANNON FROM 'NIGHT OF THE IGUANA' BY TENNESSEE WILLIAMS

Richey: "He was a really poetic, sad, drunken loser and was far better at it than Morrissey!"

R.P. McCMURPHEY FROM 'ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST' BY KEN KESEY

Nicky: "The ultimate nutter, non-conformist, pissed ,drug addict, Rock 'n' Roll rebel. Ozzy with intelligence!"

ELIZABETH TAYLOR PLAYING MAGGIE IN 'CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF'

Richey: "She could have outscreamed Janis Joplin!"

GEORGE BEST

Richey: "He was the coolest man alive and he would have got the best women. He would have put Adam Clayton to shame. He was actually asked once why he'd only slept with three out of the seven Miss Worlds at the time and he answered that he was too pissed on the other three nights!"

NEMESIS THE WARLOCK FROM 2000 AD

Richey: "He's the fire-breathing demon from the edge of your dreams, so he would have been the ultimate Heavy Metal frontman."

ALBERT CARUS THE FRENCH NOVELIST AND PHILOSOPHER

Nicky: "He was the coolest and smartest writer ever-and he loved football. Kinda like an intellectual Happy Mondays!"

'PATRICK BATEMAN FROM 'AMERICAN PSYCHO' BY BRET EASTON ELLIS

Richey: "He would have out-snorted Aerosmith ten to one! The most decadent man on the planet."

VINCENT VAN GOGH

Richey: "He even out-self mutilated Iggy Pop. He would have been the best U.S. underground loser band, because he never would have sold a record! He would have been more credible than Flipper!"

MICHAEL FOOT FORMER LEADER OF THE LABOUR PARTY

Richey: "The Bob Dylan of his generation. He was a great philosopher on the sly and was magnificently grumpy!"

TEN BANDS WHO THE MANICS WISH WERE DEAD

BLACK OAK ARKANSAS

Richey: "I saw a video of them recently and I couldn't believe how completely appalling they were. It was as if they were from another planet!"

THE TIME

Nicky: "The ultimate roadie's hand. Who cares about what Princes backing group did?"

SHOWAODYWADDY

Richey: "When I was little it seemed as if 'Under The Moon Of Love' was at number one for at least a year! I hated the way they used to get the drummer to come to the front of the stage to sing that really low bit!"

MAGNUM

Nicky: "A truly sad band. I want them to go to their graves knowing the misery that they've caused everybody."

XTC

Richey: "I f**kin' hate 'em big time! Everyone at college loved 'em, They were the ultimate in Smug Rock and nobody actually plays their records. People would buy them, put them in a really prominent position in the middle of the bedsit and leave them there!"

STEVE VAI

Richey: "A musician isn't there lust to play as many notes as he possibly can, he's there to express what he feels. No-one would buy a book just because it had the most syllables per page, would they?"

BAD BOYS INC.

Richey: "I saw them on the telly the other day and they were saying how they wanted to appeal to the gay market because their market research had shown that they made up 85% of the pop record-buying public. Pop bands should be all about lunacy and sex, innocent little boys who don't know what the f going on, not demographics!"

JAMES

Nicky: "A totally pretentious pile of ****. Anyone who says they get over a bad gig by practicing Tai Chi and dancing (like James vocalist Tim Booth) has got to be a total wanker. I bet he dances all the time!"

KISS

Richey: "Every American band loves them and when they meet them it's like they're in the presence of Cod. There are million-selling acts like Skid Row and Pantera and they're kissing ass big time."

ACE OF BASS

Nicky: "Simply for bringing European music to Britain!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

There was a very good quote from around the early 90's from one of the Manics about that song "Killing In The Name" by Rage Against The Machine. The chorus as you know goes "F### you I won't do what you tell me".
    I think it was James Dean Bradfield said it was a bit of a silly thing to say as "It was like saying F### you I won't do my homework"
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Hopefully we get treated to some of the TIMTTMY b-sides like Prologue to History

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Supporting bon Jovi too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Sure he will...

"When you've agreed to do a gig," picks up Richey, "it almost seems pointless to rebel. We did agree, and played to 120,000 people who didn't know who we are, or what we're supposed to be. But just seeing our T-shirt on a board, with the 'All Rock 'N' Roll Is Homosexual' backprint, made it all worthwhile!"

...Taken from Kerrang in 93 after having supported Bon Jovi that summer. :D

http://articles.richeyedwards.net/4dec93kerrang2.html

Cheers. I did not know that.

I suppose they said they were going to split up after Generation Terrorists too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey, somehow I missed this was happening until after the tickets went on sale and promptly sold out. My husband would be over the moon to get to see this gig (the Bon Jovi one not so much) but I see Seatwave aren’t taking any new listings so does anyone know where my best chance of getting a pair of tickets would be? We’ve had the ****tiest year and I’d love to treat him for his birthday next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Hey, somehow I missed this was happening until after the tickets went on sale and promptly sold out. My husband would be over the moon to get to see this gig (the Bon Jovi one not so much) but I see Seatwave aren’t taking any new listings so does anyone know where my best chance of getting a pair of tickets would be? We’ve had the ****tiest year and I’d love to treat him for his birthday next month.
    Keep an eye on twitter #ticketfairy and the toutless.com site. Tickets will appear there at some point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 teddybear73

Anyone else get a standing ticket for this and have problems getting a printed e-ticket. It didn't say it was a ticketless gig but no option at moment for printing a ticket from the App.

Advertisement