Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Basil3 wrote: »
    Watched live with the volume off. A lot of poor rugby, but don't think the conditions helped.

What was said for the last penalty that Aussie scored? It looked like he was penalised for not rolling away, but he had flicked the ball back onto the All Black's side when he was on his feet?

I'm not really sure. I think it was against sototu for not rolling away quick enough, rather than against big Karl... The commentators weren't sure either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Reiko showed his inexperience as a centre for the first Aussie try. And FFS! Put the ball down properly you ****ing numpty! It was only a matter of time before he did that.
    Thought Caleb Clarke had a good game off the bench.
    Nick White was outstanding for the Wallabies.
    Mounga bottled it. Had no interest in taking the drop goal. Actually thought he had a poor game.
    But it was exciting and it's great to see international rugby back. With crowds!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Reiko showed his inexperience as a centre for the first Aussie try. And FFS! Put the ball down properly you ****ing numpty! It was only a matter of time before he did that.
    Thought Caleb Clarke had a good game off the bench.
    Nick White was outstanding for the Wallabies.
    Mounga bottled it. Had no interest in taking the drop goal. Actually thought he had a poor game.
    But it was exciting and it's great to see international rugby back. With crowds!

That 10 seconds of play was absolutely beautiful until he didn't put the ball down. There were about 5 players who could have scored.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That 10 seconds of play was absolutely beautiful until he didn't put the ball down. There were about 5 players who could have scored.

The other four should line up and kick him up the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Absolute stupidity from both sides at the end.
    Both had a chance to win with easy drop goals and no one stepping forward. Not a brain cell between them in the last 8 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

sydthebeat wrote: »
    And mounga was actually worse. On both 86 AND 88 mins he actively walked from the pocket to stand at the back of a ruck five meters out to scratch his arse. I'd be livid if I was a kiwi supporter..... Completely chickened out.
    Looked scared to take it on, didnt have the stones to try it in case he misses.
    Either that or he's a dullard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Richie Mounga was an embarrassment in those last few minutes. Ran into 2 rucks to just stand there when he should’ve been in the pocket. Completely bottled it.

Have to say I was quite impressed with Oz, thought they’d get well beaten - but tbh it could’ve very well gone that way had Ioane put the ball down. NZ showed glimpses of brilliance but ultimately weren’t great.

Nic Whites improvement since he went to Exeter has been immense. He was as much as a liability as Nic Phipps a few years back, but today he was a constant threat.

and whilst mounga is majorly to blame... lets not forget jordie barrett was still on the pitch and able to do things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIiAoW1oEQ0

NZ knock it on at the very end. Wallabies run forward, ball gets ripped in the next phase and it's advantage over???

Did the Australian rugby team quarantine when travelling over? Or were they given an allowance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Did the Australian rugby team quarantine when travelling over? Or were they given an allowance?

They quarantined but were quarantined together so they were allowed train together but have been in isolation from the public since they arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Eight privately owned franchise teams to take part in next month’s World Tens Series, a new version of ten-a-side rugby that has plans to expand to 16 teams across twelve locations in 2021 following completion of an inaugural three-week series in Bermuda on November 7.

The eight teams will be drawn into two groups of four with a round-robin format on day one and a quarter-final, semi-final and the final taking place on day two. The series final will be played on 7 November which will allow for more drama and excitement to unfold;

Each team is made up of a squad of 20 players with match squads of 16. Matches are 10 minutes each half with two minutes for half time and unlimited rolling substitutes throughout the match;

Conversion jeopardy with the conversion after the try ensures that the conversion is now worth between one and five points depending on which zone the kicker selects to kick from;

No match will be a draw with the excitement of a match play shoot-out if the game is all tied up after 20 minutes.

Its going to be shown on Sky Sports
    Ben Foden, England sevens players Tom Mitchell and Dan Norton, and former Premiership referee J P Doyle have signed up
    https://worldtens.com/about-us/

Thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Find it very hard to get excited about altered forms of the game I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

so, actual Rugby X?

Why?
    so, actual Rugby X?
    No that was 5v5 on 1/2 pitch. different regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m with you, I enjoy an odd bit of sevens but I can take or leave it. The prospect of watching 10s certainly doesn’t blow my skirt up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I might live in Bermuda this time next month. Live rugby. 😂

No that was 5v5 on 1/2 pitch. different regs.

dnQs1wp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not really sure what the point of this is.

Rugby X had a unique selling point of being shorter than 7s, and a more entertaining and easier to digest style for a wider reach, and the possibility of the format being taken on by schools etc where rugby skills wouldn't be prominent due to the lack of rucks and lineouts etc.

This is basically 7s with an extra 3 players. With a gimmicky conversion system.

dnQs1wp.png
    Rugby X was 5 v 5. This is 10 v 10....
    Not really sure what the point of this is.

Rugby X had a unique selling point of being shorter than 7s, and a more entertaining and easier to digest style for a wider reach, and the possibility of the format being taken on by schools etc where rugby skills wouldn't be prominent due to the lack of rucks and lineouts etc.

This is basically 7s with an extra 3 players. With a gimmicky conversion system.
    I think the 10s has that bit more structure than 7s which that has appeal of. Rugby X had no rucks, lineouts, kicks not able to go above 10m in height...

• Advertisement

Rugby X was 5 v 5. This is 10 v 10....

Rugby XX?

should probably rename Rugby Union to Rugby XXX, to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

errlloyd wrote: »
    I might live in Bermuda this time next month. Live rugby. 😂

You'll have the Rugby Classic every year there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

So Nemani Nadolo has come out of international retirement for the Autumn Nation's Cup, nice one.

Massive coincidence that he's come out of retirement after leaving Montpellier I'm sure, they definitely didn't pay off players to "retire" from international rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Nice little recruit for the highlanders there syd. Thought that guy was a class 8 for the cherry blossoms in the RWC.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Nice little recruit for the highlanders there syd. Thought that guy was a class 8 for the cherry blossoms in the RWC.

Delighted, very good player. I'd still keep Mikele-tui as the 8 but put Himeno in at 6.

Still need a head coach though

just heard an amazing stat by Ugo Monye there on the BBC podcast....

65% of tries scored this season in the premiership have been "no pass" tries.... so essentially driving mauls or pick and jam.

by my counting...4 of the top 10 try scorers this season in the GP are forwards.... ben earl, sam simmonds, jonny hill and jack willis.
    3 back rows and a lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Great stat but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in other leagues too (probably lower in Super Rugby). I'd also like to see a breakdown of how many tries are scored by first receiver i.e. the scrum half pops it up to a pod or a crash ball receiver. JGP leads the assist charts in the Pro14 over the past 2 years with this type of play (also with his excellent long skip pass from the base).

Tries where a team opens the opposition up with a phase of running rugby have to be in the overwhelming minority at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Buer wrote: »
    Great stat but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in other leagues too (probably lower in Super Rugby). I'd also like to see a breakdown of how many tries are scored by first receiver i.e. the scrum half pops it up to a pod or a crash ball receiver. JGP leads the assist charts in the Pro14 over the past 2 years with this type of play (also with his excellent long skip pass from the base).

Tries where a team opens the opposition up with a phase of running rugby have to be in the overwhelming minority at this stage.

JGP's trademark bullet pass to the winger on the blindside :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This is an interesting award, but the idea is flawed. McCaw and Carter are the two best players I've ever seen. But both were finished as test players in 2015, halfway through the decade. Same with Dusautoir. The winner really should be Read or Retallick. Consistently great performers over a decade.

https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/1316666222260506625?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's surely Read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement