Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

banie01 wrote: »
    Good info for anyone still using the accu-chek.

I've ditched it a couple of years ago and moved to a one-touch verio.
    Meets my needs much better IMO.
    Really easy to use app that has eliminated my need for a diary and tbh unless and until I move to a libre or CGM I can't see myself swapping meters again.

In my case, I'll be changed over to their pump later this year so I'll probably stick with their monitor, especially if it can sync with the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Update from the end of Week 7 of Newcastle Diet.

Happy to report that I am still maintaining good BG levels and that I am now in my 5th week of not needing a basal insulin dose.

If nothing else this diet has saved the HSE the cost of at least 5 weeks Lantus to date :)

Weight wise, at the start of this I was 110.2Kg, for the last couple of weeks I have been fairly stable at @102Kg with a low this week of 98Kg.
    At the start BMI was @28.4, week 6 was 25.7 and my current is 25!

The diet has run in to a couple of "cheat days" over the last 2 weeks thanks to some big family days out.
    I will probably extend by a week or 2 just to ensure I get the full term done.

As always any questions feel free to reply and ask either on thread or via PM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Epic stuff Banie.

As a matter of interest, when you say extend the diet by two weeks, do you mind me asking what the plan is after the diet. Do you have a different diet that isn't as aggressive but still super healthy, will you just go back to normal and see what happens or will you keep it pretty much as close to the Newcastle Diet as possible with more leeway than before?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Epic stuff Banie.

As a matter of interest, when you say extend the diet by two weeks, do you mind me asking what the plan is after the diet. Do you have a different diet that isn't as aggressive but still super healthy, will you just go back to normal and see what happens or will you keep it pretty much as close to the Newcastle Diet as possible with more leeway than before?

My diet prior to undertaking this was fairly good TBH.
    I was just in equilibrium with weight and calorie effort and.
    I started on Insulin in 2015 and luckily enough, I didn't gain any weight but watching my diet and just maintenance of it was becoming hard work for no real gain as my insulin requirement was still only going up.

My usual diet is probably best described as Protein/Fibre over carbs.
    Normal everyday food really as when cooking for a family it's hard to have too many different things going on. I will make a more concerted effort to avoid bread but other than that I think it really will be a return to previous with a closer eye on portion size.

One huge difference I've noticed for the better as a result of this to date, is my actual appetite has reduced quite a bit.
    Previously I could eat whatever was in front of me, and then have a little more ;)
    I'd often tell myself the little white lie that I was eating "healthy" so extra was ok.

The weight loss to date has been a pleasant bonus to my reduced insulin need.
    The auld downside of insulin and diabetes related weight gain is that tends to be around the middle ;) But even that is melting away now...
    My old 36" jeans that grew with me, are no hanging off and only wearable thanks to belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Great to hear Banie

Keep it up.

I have lost about 3 stone since November, just by cutting out rubbish and getting in lots of walks. weight slowly coming off, no hunger pangs as most of the time I am eating normal dinners, but also lots of fruit and fibre. Fasting BG average down a couple of points, but more importantly my liver scarring is back in safe mode.

• Advertisement

Related to above posts but not specifically Diabetes, I see claims (haven't read the paper yet), claiming every 65g Carbs over the necessary every day increases the risk of heart problems by 44%. Only got the blurb so will read it over the weekend to see what it actually says as opposed to a randomer on twitters interpretation.

Update from the end of Week 8 of Newcastle Diet.

This would be the usual termination point of the Newcastle Diet, however due to my not being as disciplined over the last couple of weeks I am extending my own run at it by 2 weeks

Happy to report that I am still maintaining good BG levels and that I am now in my 6th week of not needing a basal insulin dose.

Weight wise, I am still hovering around the @98.5kg mark. About a 13% improvement from my starting point and my BMI is @25.

I am booked in for a HbA1c on the 1/5 and that will give a good overview of any actual benefit the diet has brought.
    My last HbA1c was in October and came in at 49 (6.6 in old %) and has been in that range for over 3yrs now.
    Maintaining or indeed actually improving on that HbA1c as a result of this effort would to my mind at least be a really good indication that this is a worthwhile undertaking for T2/T1.5, pre-diabetes and insulin resisitance.

My BG readings on the whole over the course of this diet have been within range and on a par with my readings whilst taking Insulin.

As always any questions feel free to reply and ask either on thread or via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

went to buy a bike so i could do some weekend cycling, guy said he was selling the bike because he had been ill.so he comes out to meet me and he has 2 plastic leg casts on. cheerily tells me he had a foot amputated and some toes on his other foot :eek: diabetes type 2, sounds like he had gone years on an awful diet , trays of coke per day and some mad bread addiction. he seemed to have cleaned up his act to some extent
    sad how people drift so far into this without turning it around.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It terrifies me!
    I'm diagnosed @13yrs now. Always had very tight control in that entire time probably only 2/3 Hba1c above 7 and usually in around the 6 range.

Despite that I'm starting to encounter the complications. Have incipient retinopathy in both eyes and despite my best efforts I know all I can do is to slow it rather than reverse it.

Even with my current diet effort, it's a means for me to feel a little more in control I think.
    To reduce dependence on insulin and meds so when my last few Beta cells finally do cave in I'm starting from a lower dosing base than if I'd carried on taking my current insulin dose.

The complications are frightening, and it's the sense of inevitability that many health professionals approach them with that I find even more frightening.

It's too easily and quickly labelled a progressive disease and unless the patient pursues the aggressive course of diet and lifestyle adjustment that can bring positive change, they in my experience at least.
    Seem to be abandoned to a path of review appointments and ever increasing medication.
    With the complications of artery disease, cardiac issues, BP, Retinopathy and neuropathy just accepted and dealt with as they arise.

Diabetics as a whole IMO, need to take more ownership of their prognosis and know that change is hard, bit it's easier than losing a foot or going blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Since being diagnosed 4 weeks ago my blood sugar levels hovering about 10

Im on 500mg metaformin twice a day

Is it ok to increase the dose urself to 1000mg twice a day ?

Or do i have to wait till i see my gp in a months time ?

Also how to i bring them down lower ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Check out Keto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

not yet wrote: »
    Check out Keto.

Whats that ?

Exercise is a great way to bring down high levels without meds but isn't always the best way, more a change of lifestyle.

On increasing your doses, contacting whomever is in charge of overseeing your care is probably the best way to go about it as you would want their guidance to be sure that's the right solution for you and how you manage any lows?

Whats that ?

Very low carb, high 'good' fats moderate protein. The science behind it is if you cut carbs as an energy source you body switches to fats as energy. Carbs drive up sugar and insulin, fats dont.

I've lost 16lbs with no hassle, guy in work 2 stone. The main foods are..

Meats, Butter, eggs, chicken, green veg, cauliflower, nuts etc, all very low carb foods. You'll never be hungry, control your sugar and lose weight..

Advice offered to date is all good.
    How are your night test and morning?

Asking how to control your highs is very much related to what you have eaten.
    Potatoes, pastas, breads particularly white or brioche, juice, and numerous other foods will all spike your glucose.

The main way to control high sugar is identify and avoid the causes.

What is your current finger prick routine?
    How are you tracking your post prandial number and are you keeping at least a basic food diary to help identify any "trigger" foods?

Don't change your meds without speaking to someone on your care team.
    And don't approach a high glucose read with the attitude of I'll carry on as is, and just up my dose.

That's not solving the issue, just masking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My only suggestion is to look back over the replies to you already, its all been good advice based on our own experiences.

Why would you think its a good idea to increase your Metformin without your doctors supervision?.

Btw have you taken any exercise since being diagnosed?. I know you've a back problem and can't jog. Have you tried walking?. Download a pedometer to your phone or buy one and am for the recommended 10,000 steps per day.

Cycling is fantastic, low impact but even with a gym bike get advice on fitting the bike to yourself or you might find you'll tire easier or get knee, hip, back or shoulder issues.

Swimming is great, but if your technique is bad again you're looking at problems. If you can only breast stroke try to learn to crawl (free style), its far easier on your back.

You can walk all parkrun's. No one will judge you, and you'll never be last. There's always a volunteer tail walker, they're scanned in as the last walker walking so that no one is last!. Walking parkrun is fantastic and a great social outlet, and I can hand on heart promise you that not even the fastest runners will be standing in judgement over you. If you have a dog they're even welcome, if you don't burrow one lol.

For those of us who worry about the inevitability of complications and their progression.

Had to visit the Opthalmic clinic today for a Retinopathy check up.
    Been every 6 months for the last couple of years.
    Today...
    The beautiful Dr Olga, discharged me fully from the clinic and back into the normal screening service!

I know it sounds small, but I've gone from having a rapid onset of retinopathy in both eyes, to no change over the last 18months! :D
    I'm bloody delighted!!!

Tight control and little changes can and do make a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

For those of us who worry about the inevitability of complications and their progression.

Had to visit the Opthalmic clinic today for a Retinopathy check up.
    Been every 6 months for the last couple of years.
    Today...
    The beautiful Dr Olga, discharged me fully from the clinic and back into the normal screening service!

I know it sounds small, but I've gone from having a rapid onset of retinopathy in both eyes, to no change over the last 18months! :D
    I'm bloody delighted!!!

Tight control and little changes can and do make a big difference.

And as you and other's here have shown, taking a pro active attitude to management pays dividends.

Its simply not enough to rely on medications and occasional visits to your clinic appointments hoping everything will be fine.

Well done :D

I was in with my practice nurse this morning to get bloods done for A1c and other bits.

She was fascinated by the change in both my appearance and my BG control over the course of my doing the Newcastle Diet.
    I'm still Insulin free, approaching 8weeks without a basal dose now.
    She immediately wrote down every bit of info I had to hand and said that's her morning sorted now whilst she goes off to take a look at the research.
    I am due back in next week but the nurse was so excited she said she would ring me on Friday as soon as she had an A1c back as she is mad to see if the improvement I'm encountering bares out in that.

Really great attitude and engagement, I don't usually deal with my GP for my Diabetes care as I'm under a public endo.
    Usually GP is a repeat prescription or non diabetes issues ;)
    Really great tho to see my primary care team being so engaged and supportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

I was in with my practice nurse this morning to get bloods done for A1c and other bits.

She was fascinated by the change in both my appearance and my BG control over the course of my doing the Newcastle Diet.
    I'm still Insulin free, approaching 8weeks without a basal dose now.
    She immediately wrote down every bit of info I had to hand and said that's her morning sorted now whilst she goes off to take a look at the research.
    I am due back in next week but the nurse was so excited she said she would ring me on Friday as soon as she had an A1c back as she is mad to see if the improvement I'm encountering bares out in that.

Really great attitude and engagement, I don't usually deal with my GP for my Diabetes care as I'm under a public endo.
    Usually GP is a repeat prescription or non diabetes issues ;)
    Really great tho to see my primary care team being so engaged and supportive.
    Hmm, should she not know about Newcastle already? Shouldn't she be pushing it on everyone?

• Advertisement

vargoo wrote: »
    Hmm, should she not know about Newcastle already? Shouldn't she be pushing it on everyone?

You would hope so.

But aside from one nurse on my Endo/Diabetes team there seems to be very little knowledge of the diet in any of the other health professionals I've spoken to about it.
    Which considering it's being used as a frontline T2 treatment in trials in the UK is very surprising.

Most I've spoken to approach it from the standpoint of it likely being a "fad" type diet until it's explained to them.

Most I've spoken to approach it from the standpoint of it likely being a "fad" type diet until it's explained to them.

This is true for so much nowadays.

Everything is a scam/bullsh1t yada yada, I give up even telling people anything anymore.

I had my mother do Newcastle (3 years ago?), she got off her T2 Meds up until this year, put abit of weight back on gradually. I kept telling her but...:(

So I have her on Newcastle again but she's hit a wall with other health problems interfering with it, most recently a very sore knee (arthritis maybe, xray results incoming), so I've spent days looking for what might help that, have a list of weird and not so weird supplements on order there, suppose to be good in combo. We'll see.

Easy, repetitive, full motion, no load exercises aswell.

Get her back on track. Hopefully.

You would hope so.

But aside from one nurse on my Endo/Diabetes team there seems to be very little knowledge of the diet in any of the other health professionals I've spoken to about it.
    Which considering it's being used as a frontline T2 treatment in trials in the UK is very surprising.

Health professionals don't keep up with the latest health news.

My GP, I've stopped just short of saying it to him a few times now.

To round off my Newcastle Diet posts with some actual numbers.

Got my HbA1c back for the 1/5 back this morning and it came in and the grand total of....
    47!!(6.4 in old money)
    Insulin free since the 24/2 and whilst the glucometer readings were ok in my mind.
    That puts a number on that I can compare to my HbA1c from mid October 2018.
    That was a 49.(6.6)
    So not just did the 8weeks of Newcastle diet allow me to maintain previous BG it has improved!
    Along with entering month 3 of no basal insulin! :D

My GP is very interested in how it went, and how I managed on the 800cals a day.
    Let's be honest, it's not a regime for everyone.
    But, if 8weeks can make this kind of difference in an insulin dependent type 1.5/LADA patient, surely if someone is healthy enough to try without risk they should be supported.

My basal insulin requirement has gone from between 28 - 60 units of Lantus.
    To zero!
    I'm back to a normal diet now, still 14kg below my starting weight and the bloods and insulin requirement doesn't lie.

It has given me a huge sense of ownership of my illness. Rather than just upping my meds and accepting the progression.
    A bit of willpower, stubbornness and massive support from my wife and child have allowed me to feel in control of this part of my illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

To round off my Newcastle Diet posts with some actual numbers.

Got my HbA1c back for the 1/5 back this morning and it came in and the grand total of....
    47!!(6.4 in old money)
    Insulin free since the 24/2 and whilst the glucometer readings were ok in my mind.
    That puts a number on that I can compare to my HbA1c from mid October 2018.
    That was a 49.(6.6)
    So not just did the 8weeks of Newcastle diet allow me to maintain previous BG it has improved!
    Along with entering month 3 of no basal insulin! :D

My GP is very interested in how it went, and how I managed on the 800cals a day.
    Let's be honest, it's not a regime for everyone.
    But, if 8weeks can make this kind of difference in an insulin dependent type 1.5/LADA patient, surely if someone is healthy enough to try without risk they should be supported.

My basal insulin requirement has gone from between 28 - 60 units of Lantus.
    To zero!
    I'm back to a normal diet now, still 14kg below my starting weight and the bloods and insulin requirement doesn't lie.

It has given me a huge sense of ownership of my illness. Rather than just upping my meds and accepting the progression.
    A bit of willpower, stubbornness and massive support from my wife and child have allowed me to feel in control of this part of my illness.

Well done Banie
    The next bit will be the hardest, what will be your motivation going forward and what support will you require?

Not looking for an answer for above as that is a personal thing that you have to decide.

I tried the diet a few years ago and it worked great for me, but my issue and noted in earlier posts was that my original motivation was wrong (Reverse type 2) and I had no medical support when I finished the diet.

Am tinkering with the diet at the moment, not using it fully, but moderating 5/6 days on and a mix on weekends. Watching what I eat since before the end of last year (no biscuits, cakes, chocolate, all the bad things, plus I should not have been eating them anyway) and I am down approx. 4 stone, to just over 100kg, with a target weight of around 80kg eventually. (What I used to be when I was younger)

Plenty of exercise thrown in, mainly walking and swimming. long way to go but getting there slowly but steadily, and my motivation is strong that I will not get as heavy as that ever again and get my BG down under 5 and be able to reduce my Metformin.

I am type 2, BG is down from an average of around 10 to approx 7.7 and dropping by the week, reading this evening before dinner was 5.9

So well done again and best of luck Banie, the hard bit IMO comes next.

Lads looking for a bit of insight into this is anyone can help.

Doc May 2018: Blood sugars 7.3, changed diet and had more energy, lost a bit of weight.

Doc Dec 2018: Bloods still 7.3 doc said if all intense and purposes I've diabetes.

Overhauled most things in my diet and went back to Doc last week. 6.2 Blood sugars with no meds just low carbs etc. He said keep doing what I'm doing and come back in 6 months..

Bought a blood sugar monitor and taken bloods few times since last week. 5.7-5.9-6.0 etc.

Cut 90% sugars and 80% carbs from my diet, I seem to be heading in the right direction.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

not yet wrote: »
    Lads looking for a bit of insight into this is anyone can help.

Doc May 2018: Blood sugars 7.3, changed diet and had more energy, lost a bit of weight.

Doc Dec 2018: Bloods still 7.3 doc said if all intense and purposes I've diabetes.

Overhauled most things in my diet and went back to Doc last week. 6.2 Blood sugars with no meds just low carbs etc. He said keep doing what I'm doing and come back in 6 months..

Bought a blood sugar monitor and taken bloods few times since last week. 5.7-5.9-6.0 etc.

Cut 90% sugars and 80% carbs from my diet, I seem to be heading in the right direction.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

So long as your not starving or being malnourished, then you are pretty much on the right track. If your interested in your blood sugars, you could try a Glucose Tolerance Test. This said, based on the limited data you have given, you caught it early enough to have reversed it or stopped it in its tracks, so the only real advice is don't go back to your old diet.

Is your Doc doing a HbA1c or just a fingerprick test? As in are his readings an average or a moment in time?

Also, as with everyone in life, if you can do more exercise, do more exercise, one of the best treatments for many metabolic ailments.

CramCycle wrote: »
    So long as your not starving or being malnourished, then you are pretty much on the right track. If your interested in your blood sugars, you could try a Glucose Tolerance Test. This said, based on the limited data you have given, you caught it early enough to have reversed it or stopped it in its tracks, so the only real advice is don't go back to your old diet.

Is your Doc doing a HbA1c or just a fingerprick test? As in are his readings an average or a moment in time?

Also, as with everyone in life, if you can do more exercise, do more exercise, one of the best treatments for many metabolic ailments.

Cheers for that..

He said my HbA1c wasn't too bad. Should have added I have been in the low 6s for over 10 years. Have had GTT twice in 07 and 2011 both seemed fine. Bit of a shock last May being told it was in the 7s and again at xmas. Really cannot recommend enough the low carb option. Funny enough Just did finger prick now at showed 5.2, very happy with that. Doc also sent me for retina screening, hoping no damage has been done.

Edit: Not starving myself by any means, Full fat butter, cheese, meats, nuts, avocado, chicken etc..even made my own almond flower bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

The Diabetic Retinal screening scheme is under threat due to the fallout from the Cervical Scan controversy.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/diabetic-eye-scans-under-threat-due-to-legal-judgment-38125435.html

Advertisement