Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

I'm looking forward to the broadcast of the ITV drama "Ghostboat" in which David Jason stars as a survivor of the World War 2 sinking of a submarine, on VM3 tonight - it concludes next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Surprised they didn’t take the bachelor U.K. from channel 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Elmo wrote: »

They're better off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It's been a flop this season anyway, about 250,000 viewers on a prime time slot.

iseegirls wrote: »
    It's been a flop this season anyway, about 250,000 viewers on a prime time slot.

Big brother back next year :( have to say BB ruins Channel 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I thought Big Brother was finished?

Big brother back next year :( have to say BB ruins Channel 5.

Don't see anything about that in the media. Channel 5 definitely announced that it was being cancelled, midway through the last non-celeb series.

VMT will have the 3 Love Islands this summer - UK, USA and AUS. Overkill alright, but they wouldn't bring a Big Brother back in (even it was available again) between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

VMT will have the 3 Love Islands this summer - UK, USA and AUS. Overkill alright, but they wouldn't bring a Big Brother back in (even it was available again) between them.

The missus will have all of them recorded on the Sky+ box :(

Its such a fake show.

Don't see anything about that in the media. Channel 5 definitely announced that it was being cancelled, midway through the last non-celeb series.

I thought C5 was taking a break from BB but not closing the door fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Nope, they fully cancelled it. I believe they said "If the show does come back, it will not be on Channel 5". Apparently Netflix is in talks to have it, though how that will work is beyond me. Do they do live programming or would they upload a daily highlights show and pre-recorded eviction. Maybe you pick your own winner a la Bandershatch?!

• Advertisement

VM3 is showing the ITV historical drama "The Great Fire", starting tonight at 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

VM3 is showing the ITV historical drama "The Great Fire", starting tonight at 8.

They showed Ghost Boat last week. Pity about the horrendous picture quality on Sky. Only for the fact I wanted to see it I’d have abandoned it. Shocking!

medoc wrote: »
    They showed Ghost Boat last week. Pity about the horrendous picture quality on Sky. Only for the fact I wanted to see it I’d have abandoned it. Shocking!

I know - I watched it! I think it was brilliant.

The Ireland's Got Talent semis and final have been split awkwardly this year. Semi Final 1 & 2 this weekend, Semi Final 3 following Saturday, followed by the Final on Sunday. Doesn't seem like a fair deal if the act that gets through Sat week has 1 day to prepare for the final unlike the acts that get through this weekend.

Also I see a good few trailers for Britain's Got Talent on the channel. They should really be focussing more time on Ireland's Got Talent, and promoting it as much as they can. BGT starts Saturday week, so it will be delayed till possibly 9:30pm on VM1 with the IGT Semi-Final #3. Just doesn't really work itself out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Is Virgin Media Television available in the Northern Ireland ? On AGT they provide voting numbers for Northern Ireland but on other shows they don't for commenting/competitions etc

Saorview over spill I'd say. It's not on Sky or Virgin Media in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

lertsnim wrote: »
    Saorview over spill I'd say. It's not on Sky or Virgin Media in Northern Ireland.

Correct. Saorview widely available in NI but with UTV and all ITV associate channels on Sky and Freeview I rarely watch any of the VM channels.

VM1 showing 2 nights of Champions League next week, with Tottenham v Man City on Tuesday, and Ajax v Juventus on Wednesday. Thursday on VM2 has Europa League with Arsenal v Napoli. The Man Utd v Barcelona match will be on VM Sports on Wednesday, with Liverpool v Porto on RTE2 on Tuesday.

The silly thing with Wednesday, is that they'll have Souness, Quinn and co debating the Ajax Juventus match as that it now their main VM1 match, while most would rather watch Barca and Man Utd, including Souness.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

So Liverpool Porto is on rte and Barca manutd on virgin media sport?

Ok i see it's in last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

How did Ireland’s got talent live shows do on the ratings? Watched bits of them. Was impressed with the guest lineups Louis Copland, Riverdance, Aslan etc. And they were giving the Northern Ireland number for votes as well - something RTÉ have stopped doing. Lucy Kennedy said they got over 100k votes which isn’t bad

• Advertisement

Maz2016 wrote: »
    How did Ireland’s got talent live shows do on the ratings? Watched bits of them. Was impressed with the guest lineups Louis Copland, Riverdance, Aslan etc. And they were giving the Northern Ireland number for votes as well - something RTÉ have stopped doing. Lucy Kennedy said they got over 100k votes which isn’t bad

Not the best. I thought it was interesting that they gave a number for the votes, a number that can't be independently verified.

RTÉ provide voting numbers to NI, not competition numbers as RTÉ didn't want to follow OfCom rules on competitions.

What was Louis Copeland doing on ITG?

Only watched the first few acts last night. There's too much dance acts in it. One must have had about 50 acts in it. They've a higher pull of votes compared to a solo singer for instance which makes it unfair. Not questioning their talent, but there is clear advantage already.

So for the second year running, we've a dance act through. An act which won't make money or promote the series in a way that BGT have done with acts like Diversity, Subo, Paul Potts etc..

Few little bits of oddities from Virgin Media TV:

Red Rock has 2 more episodes left to show. No time given as to when they'd be shown.

VM3 has 'Late Night On Three' listed late on Sunday nights. Turns out it's Big Brother's Bit On The Side - the one where they suddenly stopped showing from around Day 32 last year. Why bother broadcasting it, if they don't even list it in their schedules. Plus what is the point of showing it now.

Ireland AM will not be broadcast on Good Friday. This is first time in their 20 years that it's not on Good Friday. Elaine, News At 12:30 not on either. I'd say something if was replaced by something decent, films or specials - but Surprise Surprise, Big Stars Little Star, 60 Minute Makeover, Airline US and other repeated ITV Studios guff replace it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

VM3 has 'Late Night On Three' listed late on Sunday nights. Turns out it's Big Brother's Bit On The Side - the one where they suddenly stopped showing from around Day 32 last year. Why bother broadcasting it, if they don't even list it in their schedules. Plus what is the point of showing it now.

That smacks of a contractual requirement to me. If I were to hazard a guess, I’d say their contract with Endemol required them to show it but omitted to say they had to simulcast it with Channel 5 or even on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Red Rock has 2 more episodes left to show. No time given as to when they'd be shown.

Ireland AM will not be broadcast on Good Friday. This is first time in their 20 years that it's not on Good Friday. Elaine, News At 12:30 not on either. I'd say something if was replaced by something decent, films or specials - but Surprise Surprise, Big Stars Little Star, 60 Minute Makeover, Airline US and other repeated ITV Studios guff replace it.

They seem to be taking one step forward, 2 steps backwards

They are a pitiful excuse for a broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

When Red Rock was last aired a couple of weeks ago, the continuity announcer said it was the Season Finale, and after watching it, it looked like it was the last episode

When Red Rock was last aired a couple of weeks ago, the continuity announcer said it was the Season Finale, and after watching it, it looked like it was the last episode

I don't even think the Continuity Announcer knows themselves really.

This was from red Rock's official twitter:

https://twitter.com/RedRockTV3/status/1112821859836465152

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭its_steve116

lertsnim wrote: »
    They are a pitiful excuse for a broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

IIRC each semi final of CL and Europa League were to be FTA (RTE still have Tuesday nights CL)

Only highlights showing on listings on Wednesday 1st May, no live FTA.

From Irish Times article in July 2018:
    The good news for football fans is that the semi-finals and finals of both the Champions League and the Europa League will be broadcast free to air by Virgin Media.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-media-to-charge-up-to-20-a-month-for-new-sports-channel-1.3563111?mode=amp

Advertisement