Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Its_steve116, people have different tastes, your post really doesn’t add anything to the thread. Criticising programmes is one thing but extending that criticism to those who watch them is crossing the line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

unfortunately i only have vmtv on soarview. i have said it before on here but the picture quality when watching their live soccer is awful and tonight combined with conor mcnamara is even worse with that accent he puts on compared to when he is on fivelive commentry. i know others may disagree but thats just my tuppence on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

On the flip side, the coverage is free to view for Irish viewers. Viewers in GB have to subscribe to Sky Sports to view the match.

Another on the flip side, you could have Trevor Welsh commentating instead of Conor. Shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i would prefer trevor!! but yeah at least its free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Mod Note: Post deleted because of the serious nature of the allegation contained therein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

Obviously, viewers will have to wait till Autumn (or even next year!) to see the last two episodes of Red Rock - hasn't VMI milked that cow enough?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wonder is anyone still paying €20 a month for literally no live sport on the Virgin Sport Channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

mikeym wrote: »
    I wonder is anyone still paying €20 a month for literally no live sport on the Virgin Sport Channel?

How many people subscribed to it? I can't imagine it was very high as there was no promotion of the virgin sport channels except for the fact the TV channels were free for virgin customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Virgin Media Sport will have Irish rights for Bellator MMA fights, first event is this Saturday: https://the42.ie/4687068

They had to start filling their sport channel with some sorts of rights I guess - is this likely to be a good attraction? Who had rights previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

dulpit wrote: »
    Virgin Media Sport will have Irish rights for Bellator MMA fights, first event is this Saturday: https://the42.ie/4687068

They had to start filling their sport channel with some sorts of rights I guess - is this likely to be a good attraction? Who had rights previously?

I don't think anyone ever had the rights here. I know Channel 5 show events in the UK or at least they have done to recently and are still listed as rights holders on the Bellator site.

Channel 5 share rights with Sky Sports in the UK. This weekend Virgin Media have the same as Channel 5 from 10pm with 9pm to 10pm on Sky Sports.

• Advertisement

They quietly dropped UFC in the past year. Guess with no Conor McGregor, they may have lost interest in showing it. They did broadcast the events about 2 days later which probably didn't help ratings anyway.

iseegirls wrote: »
    They quietly dropped UFC in the past year. Guess with no Conor McGregor, they may have lost interest in showing it. They did broadcast the events about 2 days later which probably didn't help ratings anyway.

There are other MMA fighters, Irish or otherwise, than Conor McGregor you know.

Heard a rumour that Nightshift is coming back in October. It would be great to have upcoming Irish bands played on TV again...

I will NEVER get over Nightshift, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

On VM1 tonight is Graham Nortons New Years Eve. In July seriously lately they seems to be repeating any old thing. Repeats of Ireland Got Talent regularly, an hour of repeats of Ireland AM here and there, same 4 movies over send over again, old Family Fortunrs/The Cube over and over again.Youd think the schedule couldn't get much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

zeebre12 wrote: »
    On VM1 tonight is Graham Nortons New Years Eve. In July seriously lately they seems to be repeating any old thing. Repeats of Ireland Got Talent regularly, an hour of repeats of Ireland AM here and there, same 4 movies over send over again, old Family Fortunrs/The Cube over and over again.Youd think the schedule couldn't get much worse

It’s a shockingly bad channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It’s a shockingly bad channel.

I assume it makes the owners some money, and they don't care about standards. So it is what it is. Shame, but I assume nothing can be done by say ministers to enforce a level of quality?

zeebre12 wrote: »

For their main and prime channel, they have given up on delivering anything home produced, and is now just reliant on what ITV will be producing to fill their schedules.

The Cube and All Star Family Fortunes stopped making new episodes about 4 years ago, yet VM1 have continued to show the same episodes weekly for the last few years.

Judge Rinder is on from 1pm-4pm this week (3 episodes back to back) on VM3, and Judge Rinder is on from 1.30-2.30pm on VM2. So they'll have the same programme on 2 channels at the same time. They haven't a clue and are just lazy.

I can only think of 2 new series of home produced programming since January - Ireland's Got Talent and S4 of Doctor In The House. That is shockingly bad. Not even any one off documentaries either. Very little Pat Kenny, no return of Clubhouse, The Sunday Show, Gogglebox reduced to a short run October, no IGMórT when the live shows were on - just feels like so much costcutting where it should be the opposite with such a huge backer behind the channel now.

I think there has been 2 movie premieres. But they still continue to show the same films again and again, especially after airing them only a few months earlier. Dirty Dancing is so overshown by the channel.

For their main and prime channel, they have given up on delivering anything home produced, and is now just reliant on what ITV will be producing to fill their schedules.

The Cube and All Star Family Fortunes stopped making new episodes about 4 years ago, yet VM1 have continued to show the same episodes weekly for the last few years.

Judge Rinder is on from 1pm-4pm this week (3 episodes back to back) on VM3, and Judge Rinder is on from 1.30-2.30pm on VM2. So they'll have the same programme on 2 channels at the same time. They haven't a clue and are just lazy.

I can only think of 2 new series of home produced programming since January - Ireland's Got Talent and S4 of Doctor In The House. That is shockingly bad. Not even any one off documentaries either. Very little Pat Kenny, no return of Clubhouse, The Sunday Show, Gogglebox reduced to a short run October, no IGMwhen the live shows were on - just feels like so much costcutting where it should be the opposite with such a huge backer behind the channel now.

I think there has been 2 movie premieres. But they still continue to show the same films again and again, especially after airing them only a few months earlier. Dirty Dancing is so overshown by the channel.

Usually the good content comes out in September/October dont they usually do a big promotion on the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I noticed that too, and thought it was very strange, and as you mentioned "Very lazy"

mikeym wrote: »
    Usually the good content comes out in September/October dont they usually do a big promotion on the new season.

Even at that, I won't be holding my breath for anything breathtaking. They prolong certain series, and then when these big press days comes around - they go on and on about them.

There have been 12 new episodes of Gogglebox Ireland since Nov 17. Living With Lucy was paused after 5 episodes in September 18, so no doubt we'll have the episodes which already been filmed in Sep 19 - but will the discussions they have also be a year out of date.

New programmes (first time shown on VMT) since January on all the Virgin Media Channels:
    Irish: Ireland's Biggest Prison, Paul Treyvaud's Kitchen

Related to ITV Studios UK: Jamaica Inn, Mrs Biggs, Manhunt, Rescue, Cleaning Up, Tutankhamun, Billy Connolly: Journey Edge World, Jack & Dani: Life after LI, Shetland, Breathless, Wild Things With Dominic Monaghan, Cook Me The Money, Inside Claridges, The Mummy Diaries, Cheat, The Great Fire, The Bay, In For A Penny, Hatton Garden Heist, The Comedy Years, Love Island (Unseen), Always And Everyone, Planet Child, Wild Bill, 63 Up.

Related to ITV Studios Worldwide/Freemantle:I'm A Celeb Aus,Farmer Wants A Wife Aus, The Chase Aus, AGT: The Champions

That's right - just two brand new homemade shows across the 3 channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

TV3's Vincent Browne tweeted after a long time:

" I’m not turning in my grave. Haven’t got there yet! "

and by looking at the replies in his tweet it looks like an awful lot of people would rather have his show back (VM Tonight) than that shambles of Matt Cooper and the other fella that's currently on VM1 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

TV3's Vincent Browne tweeted after a long time:

" I’m not turning in my grave. Haven’t got there yet! "

and by looking at the replies in his tweet it looks like an awful lot of people would rather have his show back (VM Tonight) than that shambles of Matt Cooper and the other fella that's currently on VM1 ...

I'm not sure about Vin B's abilities as a presenter. Sure, in the aftermath of the closure of Clearys', he didn't know what "concessionary traders" are. He's not exactly Jon Snow (the newscaster, not the Game of Thrones presenter), is he?!

Just to give my usual warning that I would prefer there be absolutely no discussion of named personalities who, as far as we know, are not here to defend themselves - particularly in this situation where the person concerned is retired from broadcasting in any event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Another home produced show axed from Virgin - IrelandsGot Talent dropped. I think the quality of production was actually good. Either way, it’s a shame to see Irish produced shows axed

https://entertainment.ie/tv/tv-news/irelands-got-talent-cancelled-411189/

Another show axed by Virgin Media. Their takeover of TV3 has seen them dramatically reduce all home produced programming. All remaining will be news and studio based 'light discussion' shows like Elaine and 6 O'Clock Show.

Their current schedule across the 3 channels is embarrassing. They may as well rename it to Virgin Media ITV and be done.

I never understood the marketing behind Ireland’s Got Talent. They promoted it heavily to the rugby union audience on some sort of misguided thinking that the same demographics would be interested in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

icdg wrote: »
    I never understood the marketing behind Ireland’s Got Talent. They promoted it heavily to the rugby union audience on some sort of misguided thinking that the same demographics would be interested in both.

I completely agree. Completely different audiences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have never watched a thing bar a fuzzy CL game or two on the Virgin channels, if you have ITV then you have what they Virgin have for the most part and I don't watch ITV either bar the odd 9 PM drama

It really does reek of pointless other than being a relay in a controlled market - ie get all your telly/BB in one place with Virgin media.

As an aside its quite something when Freesports, who presumably have a small enough budget can broadcast in HD on satellite but VM continue to embarrass themselves and the regulator with their shocking SD pq on national DTT.

icdg wrote: »

The Six Nations would be watched by a lot of people that wouldnt be into watching the Four Provincies play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I have never watched a thing bar a fuzzy CL game or two on the Virgin channels, if you have ITV then you have what they Virgin have for the most part and I don't watch ITV either bar the odd 9 PM drama

It really does reek of pointless other than being a relay in a controlled market - ie get all your telly/BB in one place with Virgin media.

As an aside its quite something when Freesports, who presumably have a small enough budget can broadcast in HD on satellite but VM continue to embarrass themselves and the regulator with their shocking SD pq on national DTT.

They don't care about Saorview -they want you to get Virgin Media and the regulator is not regulating e.g. HD compulsory.

Advertisement