Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - Round 1 – Australia

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

elperello wrote: »
    I was just making the point that he had a good career as a racing driver and is not some village idiot.

You have to have something about you to win three grand prix and Le Mans.

And that LM win was tough. He passed out after finishing the race and had to be lifted out of the car.
    At the time it was the only Japanese manufacturer victory, with the bad luck suffered by the Japanese over many many years at that race it was a massive achievement to win with Mazda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭Inviere

elperello wrote: »
    I was just making the point that he had a good career as a racing driver and is not some village idiot.

You have to have something about you to win three grand prix and Le Mans.

I never doubted his racing credentials. Seems he was a far more successful driver than Karun for example, but the difference in their approach is stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Killinator wrote:
    Unless you're biding your time to become number 1 after the current number 1 leaves in a few years using the time now to lay the groundwork in the team and in his experience?

Killinator wrote:
    I think Leclerc is playing the long game

If he intends playing the waiting game he will be, by definition, not driving to the absolute limit of his ability and will be replaced rather than promoted to number one. If he's as good as his supporters claim he needs to start showing it immediately. I just don't think he has that real star quality that Verstappen, who will be his main rival in future, possesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Inviere wrote: »
    I never doubted his racing credentials. Seems he was a far more successful driver than Karun for example, but the difference in their approach is stark.

Yes, lots of good drivers have come and gone through careers in F1 without ever winning a race.

I agree with you about KC. I really enjoy his contributions.

Herbert's "cheeky chappy" persona seems to go down well with the UK audiences so I suppose that's why Sky keep him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

chicorytip wrote: »
    If he intends playing the waiting game he will be, by definition, not driving to the absolute limit of his ability and will be replaced rather than promoted to number one. If he's as good as his supporters claim he needs to start showing it immediately. I just don't think he has that real star quality that Verstappen, who will be his main rival in future, possesses.

I too await convincing. I believe he could be a top driver but have yet to see what all the fuss is about but we'll soon see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭jv2000

The Leclerc situation is an interesting one and I hope he is as good as it looks like he may be. One thing that infuriated me last season was Kimi's relatively weak performances by comparison to Vettel. When Vettel was under pressure from Hamilton he completely imploded, imagine if he was under pressure from a teammate! Last season if Kimi was more on the pace he could have picked up Vettel's pieces when he messed up (ie going off in Germany, one of the many tangles with Red Bulls etc), he could have really made a dent to the championship.

So theoretically if Leclerc is as good as we think then he can put Vettel under pressure and pick up the pieces when he tangles with somebody, being right behind him would make that easy. Also if Leclerc were to somehow outqualify Vettel then a good start could put a car or two (Mercs or Max) between Leclerc and Vettel, Ferrari would have a very tough time getting Vettel ahead of Leclerc in that scenario....

Anyway in my opinion it is make or break for Vettel this season, not because of Leclerc but because of the fact he is just not at the level of Hamilton. As long as Hamilton has a good car (not necessarily the best car) he will challenge for titles. This was a trait of the likes of Schumacher, Alonso and possibly Hakkinen.... I just don't think Vettel has that ability to get the best from a car that is not the dominant car - even in a dominant car there is a debate (see mid-last season for reference).

Advertisement