Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - Round 1 – Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I didn't get up for the race and only seen the results on the website. In relation to Kubica, what went wrong? from what i can see Russell lapped him is that correct?

Yeah, he had a first lap incident with Gasly and pitted for a new front wing. But he had some other damage as a result of it. Finished 3 laps down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Was he at fault for it? Autosport has an update hidden behind a bloody paywall as i've now read my one free article this month. It was 10!!!!

Honestly I'm not even sure, it wasn't shown live & we only got a fleeting slo mo of his wing falling off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Was he at fault for it? Autosport has an update hidden behind a bloody paywall as i've now read my one free article this month. It was 10!!!!

Considering the fact that very few people can be bothered paying to watch the sport itself, it's really bizarre that Autosport think people will pay them to access news reports that are freely available elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Considering the fact that very few people can be bothered paying to watch the sport itself, it's really bizarre that Autosport think people will pay them to access news reports that are freely available elsewhere.

It's to lure them in for the pay service that actually is interesting with technical analysis and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Hamilton wearing a do rag, cringe. Definitely has got his hair done again (plugs). When is he going to come out?

Fairly non eventful race. Good win for Bottas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Inviere wrote: »
    Honestly I'm not even sure, it wasn't shown live & we only got a fleeting slo mo of his wing falling off.

I thought that was really odd. They barely showed any of it.

Sometime that irked me massively with Sky is their major ability to not actually know what's going on. They slagged off Kubica saying he has already been caught by Riccardo, despite them pitting at the same time (they implied he was lapping a minute slower). They kept saying Hulkenberg lost his front wing, when it was Riccardo. They kept adding up the gaps between drivers and getting random figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I've seen a few still images on twitter but no replay

antodeco wrote: »

Sometime that irked me massively with Sky is their major ability to not actually know what's going on. They slagged off Kubica saying he has already been caught by Riccardo, despite them pitting at the same time (they implied he was lapping a minute slower). They kept saying Hulkenberg lost his front wing, when it was Riccardo. They kept adding up the gaps between drivers and getting random figures.

Yeah Crofty was at his best again, e. G
    Brundle "kubica is coming out of the pits after his early pitstop"
    Sentences later
    Crofty "Ricciardo after his front wing change, is already overtaking kubica, that's how bad it is at Williams"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

Gutted that Eir have lost it as we must put up with David "Crofty" Croft full-time. He's always missing stuff as well as being generally annoying. No HD now either. Boring enough race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Acosta wrote: »
    Gutted that Eir have lost it as we must put up with David "Crofty" Croft full-time. He's always missing stuff as well as being generally annoying. No HD now either. Boring enough race.

Me too. The sound quality was rubbish as well. Much preferred Ben Edwards, but I could live without David Coulthard.

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »

Both Crofty and Brundle hadn't a clue that Kubica lost his wing, and kept saying he drive over Ricciardo's wing...the slo mo showed clearly it wasn't a Renault wing. They dropped the ball noticing it, I suppose that said, they're prob looking at ten different things at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I have always watched BBC/C4 races over the last few years that sky are broadcasting F1 so this is the first time I have properly watched a Sky broadcast.

There was at least 3 errors from Crofty in the early laps that I said to myself Ben Edwards would never make.

The other thing I believe is that C4 are better than Sky at is to give clear facts rather than jumping to conclusions. Ben would ask Coulthard a question about an event on track and they have a good discussion. Whereas Crofty tends to make rash comments without fact checking, and then going off on tangents. Lots of things Crofty days is completely superfluous to the commentary. Ben Edwards will be asking Coulthard questions about how events are unfolding getting his input. The commentary teams are a complete contrast. Bit of a shame for the viewing experience.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Crofty is a buffoon, Sky need to boot him and Herbert. Give Karun the gig alongside Brundle, and get DC on board too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Harika wrote: »
    It's to lure them in for the pay service that actually is interesting with technical analysis and so on.

Technical analysis is a very niche market, within what has become (thanks to the whole sport being hidden behind a paywall) a very niche market. A lot of what passes for 'analysis' on Autosport (and throughout F1 journalism in general) is just tedious opinion-by-numbers - 'what this means for that' and 'why this thing that probably won't happen will happen' and 'what F1 must learn from latest event that they're not going to learn from'. If people aren't paying to watch the races, they're not likely to pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Kubica lost his wing after driving into the back of Gasly at turn 1 is what they said on commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

What channel did everyone watch the grand prix on? ESPN in the USA and TSN in Canada both used Skys commentary team. Are Edwards and Coulthard doing any live commentary anywhere I wonder?

Croft and Brundle repeated the same stupid joke in commentary for qualifying and the race about a pile of yellow Renault t-shirts being sold in Australia and that there must be another pile of discarded Red Bulls shirts! It's the worst commentary lineup that I've had to listen to and I've been watching since mid 90s.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Kubica lost his wing after driving into the back of Gasly at turn 1 is what they said on commentary.

The slow mo cleared showed the Rokit logo on the replay. Don't know how they missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

recyclebin wrote: »
    What channel did everyone watch the grand prix on? ESPN in the USA and TSN in Canada both used Skys commentary team. Are Edwards and Coulthard doing any live commentary anywhere I wonder?

Croft and Brundle repeated the same stupid joke in commentary for qualifying and the race about a pile of yellow Renault t-shirts being sold in Australia and that there must be another pile of discarded Red Bulls shirts! It's the worst commentary lineup that I've had to listen to and I've been watching since mid 90s.
    I did a 'virtual' trip around the world. All English-speaking countries taking Sky. No sign of Ben and DC anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Channel 4 decided to ignore it, was LeClerc told to back off Vettel? Was clearly faster.

• Advertisement

Channel 4 decided to ignore it, was LeClerc told to back off Vettel? Was clearly faster.

Yes, Ferrari admitted that to not risk anything. That was also their excuse to not let Leclerc pit and go for fresh rubbers for the bonus point.
    Vettels tyres were not working, he was on medium and Leclerc on hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Got to see some of the Sky stuff online. No Ted?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Channel 4 showed it in there highlights and I would say they would have shown it if they were live too.
    skipper_G wrote: »
    I've seen a few still images on twitter but no replay
    It was on the C4 replay.
    Me too. The sound quality was rubbish as well. Much preferred Ben Edwards, but I could live without David Coulthard.
    Agreed the sound was terrible. C4 done it better. I have no problem with David Coulthard.
    Both Crofty and Brundle hadn't a clue that Kubica lost his wing, and kept saying he drive over Ricciardo's wing...the slo mo showed clearly it wasn't a Renault wing. They dropped the ball noticing it, I suppose that said, they're prob looking at ten different things at the same time.

Thats bull;shi,th. They are just no good simple as. Chanel 4 would have had it and shown it had they been live. In fact the C4 highlights was way better than the live Sky. If only they could scrap the adds during the race I would watch just the C4 highlights this year and feck Sky and there live show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Karun Chandhok was the one that told them what happen Robert K . So in way Channel 4 were correcting their mistakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Jordan 199 wrote:
    Good result for Kimi.

skipper_G wrote:
    Based on the last 2 seasons no, I don't rate him. But I'll gladly be proven wrong if he can put up a genuine challenge. Hamilton needs a fight from his teammate in case Ferrari can't sort themselves out. The thing about Hamilton is he's consistently fast. Bottas can't afford any weekends where he's just off the pace for some unexplained reason.

Raikkonen could have pushed a bit more to get past Hulkenberg. He had the faster car.
    As regards Hamilton, there was clearly a mechanical problem affecting his pace.There is no other credible explanation for such a deficit in performance compared to Bottas. Savour this victory Valtteri, it could well be the last of your Mercedes career. I expect normal service to be resumed in Bahrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

chicorytip wrote: »
    Raikkonen could have pushed a bit more to get past Hulkenberg. He had the faster car.
    As regards Hamilton, there was clearly a mechanical problem affecting his pace.There is no other credible explanation for such a deficit in performance compared to Bottas. Savour this victory Valtteri, it could well be the last of your Mercedes career. I expect normal service to be resumed in Bahrain.

Yes Hamilton's floor had damage which would have slowed his car. Even without that there is no guarantee that he would have won but it no doubt would have been harder for Valtteri to win as Hamilton would have been putting pressure on him and maybe trying to get past. We will not really know until the next race to see if Valtteri can keep challenging Lewis.

Also anyone see the points for the CDC.

Mercedes is on 44 and

Ferrari on 22.

I know its only the first race but without the extra point the Bottas got Merc would be on 43.
    That point could prove very important in the WDC Id say.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Alfa really screwed Giovinazzi there. He went about 2 laps too long at least. Did ruin his race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Perhaps, perhaps not. Honda were plagued by reliability issues, and had the engine so wound back to stop it throwing its guts out, we got that infamous GP2 engine quote. Yes obviously RB and McLaren aren't in the same league, but the engine back in 2015 was next to garbage (as was the McLaren chassis).

It's all well and good making fun of Alonso now about it, but put a former champion in a rubbish car, with a rubbish engine, and that's how it's going to go down.

Part of the issue was McLaren apparently refused to bow to requests from Honda on how the engine should be packaged. So Honda were forced into packaging the engine against how they felt it would work best

Apparently with Toro Rosso last year there was a lot more flexibility and RB were much more flexible over the winter in working with Honda.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Anyone know why Vettel’s pace was so much worse than Leclerc’s in the later stages of the race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭geotrig

I was on the fence on watching this year and to some bit still on that fence, but I tuned in today and was surprised how good the cars looked on track, the wheels looked nice and wide and reminded me of 80's in that respect and wasnt expecting that, I hated how long these cats have gotten.

Advertisement