Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - Round 1 – Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

What tyres was LeClerc on?

Williams and Stroll shouldn't be out there.

Stroll was blocked by Grosjean, cost him a few tenths in the middle sector. Williams look hopeless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Its important to remember that this is just one qualifying session. Hamilton was also pole last year by the same distance and didn't qualify pole again for a few races.

Mercedes definitely looked strong, but a championship is not won in the first qualifying session.

Couldn't agree more, surprised to see calls of another boring season ahead. Merc/Hamilton destroyed everyone by a large margin at AUS last year, yet Ferrari came alive from the next race on. We won't really be able to tell what's ahead for a few races yet.

Inviere wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, surprised to see calls of another boring season ahead. Merc/Hamilton destroyed everyone by a large margin at AUS last year, yet Ferrari came alive from the next race on. We won't really be able to tell what's ahead for a few races yet.

Was just about to post the same. People seem to forget that points are only awarded on Sunday and there's more than one race in a season. It's madness calling the championship over after the first qualifying session.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Harika wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PitCrew_Online/status/1106819383769346049

Shows how much the midfield has come together

Anyone have a breakdown of what common parts the B teams are using from their A Teams?

Ferrari/Haas/Alfa share a significant amount, Red Bull/Toro Ross probably do too. Do Racing Point or Williams get any parts from Mercedes? Renault and McLaren probably don't do much together bar the power plant.

It might explain some of those big gains.

Anyone fancy a charity bet on how many races will be left when Hamilton seals the title? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

recyclebin wrote:
    It might explain some of those big gains.

Based on qualifying Haas seem to be the only one of the midfield pack to have improved at all, Renault, Alfa and Racing Point look slower and as for McLaren it's hard to tell. There is still well over a seconds difference between Vettel in second and Perez in tenth which in race terms is an enormous amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I think that if you are just watching to see who wins, you're not doing it right. The excitement, and likely most of the coverage will be in the mid field.

No one wants to watch Hamilton on his own just putting on the laps when there is a right between Renault and Haas or Sauber and that is where the action is. I know Sky love to swoon over Lewis Hamilton but if he is on his own, there is no reason to put everyone to sleep by showing him for 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I’ve just realized sky1 are showing the race in the morning. I’m not complaining since I can record instead of watching live by other means, but I’m really confused as to why they’re doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Killinator

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I’ve just realized sky1 are showing the race in the morning. I’m not complaining since I can record instead of watching live by other means, but I’m really confused as to why they’re doing it.

Sky have a tendency to put some of the 'big ones' on Sky 1, ie: season opener, monaco, Silverstone, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Killinator wrote: »
    Sky have a tendency to put some of the 'big ones' on Sky 1, ie: season opener, monaco, Silverstone, etc

Ah good to know. I’ll keep an eye out so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Whiplashy wrote: »

They are doing it because they think us who used to watch the races on Channel 4 might now buy the Sky Sports pack and they have the yellow button on the bottom right of the screen trying to tempt you to do it. Well it ain,t happening because there commentators, coverage and camera work is just terrible.
    They wasted a good 30 mins after the qualifying talking and doing crap on the F1 Show. Honestly it was like a cheap reality TV show. If C4 had of had the 30 mins we would have got analysis of the qualifying and chats with the drivers and team principles.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stroll had a shocker there. Sainz got impacted by Kubica damaged car. Gasly got caught badly not being out at the end of Q1.

Fair fúcks to Lando Norris.

Jesus thats consistent but so shíte.

fii70qgusim21.jpg

pjohnson wrote: »
    Stroll had a shocker there. Sainz got impacted by Kubica damaged car. Gasly got caught badly not being out at the end of Q1.

Fair fúcks to Lando Norris.

Jesus thats consistent but so shíte.

fii70qgusim21.jpg

You excuse Sainz' performance because he was blocked by Kubica and fail to mention Stroll was blocked by Grosjean and lost 2 tenths in the middle sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

skipper_G wrote: »
    You excuse Sainz' performance because he was blocked by Kubica and fail to mention Stroll was blocked by Grosjean and lost 2 tenths in the middle sector.

Did Stroll not get another lap in after or am I misremembering?

If that was his last lap then fair enough.

I think that if you are just watching to see who wins, you're not doing it right. The excitement, and likely most of the coverage will be in the mid field.

Don't agree. The big issue is Seb v Lewis and rightly so. They are both a class above the rest of the field. Will either equal or better seven world titles? The only excitement caused by the midfield also rans is seeing how many crash out on the first lap. Who really cares what Haas do in relation to Racing Point, for example. How many actual fans do they have apart from their extremely wealthy owners?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Did Stroll not get another lap in after or am I misremembering?

If that was his last lap then fair enough.

That was Stroll's last flying lap. Grosjean was on an out lap

chicorytip wrote: »
    Don't agree. The big issue is Seb v Lewis and rightly so. They are both a class above the rest of the field. Will either equal or better seven world titles? The only excitement caused by the midfield also rans is seeing how many crash out on the first lap. Who really cares what Haas do in relation to Racing Point, for example. How many actual fans do they have apart from their extremely wealthy owners?

Utter nonsense. Racing Point fan here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I agree about Lewis v Seb is a great battle but my opinion is that regardless of who you support, and I am a Ferrari fan, the action is in the mid field. That's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Really missing Teds Notebook on a Saturday night after quali.
    What is the actual story with that? Was it his or sky’s decision to cancel it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I’m hoping Williams get their act together and fast, especially for Kubica’s sake. Russell could have 20+ years, Kubica might only have the 2 seasons he’s contracted for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Any race must have midfielders and also rans. It's just the way it is. There would be little point otherwise. You might as well just flip a coin and present the trophy to Merc/Hamilton or Ferrari/Seb tomorrow and be done with it.

Also, you will be hard pressed to find a non wealthy team owner.

skipper_G wrote:

Good evening Laurence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

skipper_G wrote: »

Stroll?

elperello wrote:
    Also, you will be hard pressed to find a non wealthy team owner.

The greatest teams in the history of F1 were founded not by men of great wealth but by those who had a dream to build successful race cars. Laurence Stroll and Gene Haas and Dietrich Mateschitz(Red Bull) are certainly not men of that ilk. They're not in it purely for the love of the sport.

Good evening Laurence.
    Stroll?

I wish I had that kind of cash, sadly not. I started following the team when they began life as Jordan and have stuck with them through successive incarnations. Shocking as it may seem to some, there are more teams on the grid than just Ferrari and Mercedes. Would I prefer a formula 1 where any team could turn up and be in with a shout to win a race? Yes absolutely, but that's not possible with the sport as it is. So I make do watching them scrap for a few points or perhaps get a sniff of a podium now and then, all while hoping the sport can find a way to sustain 10 healthy and competitive teams.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I dont watch F1 to see what the midfield battle is

At least give it a few races. If after 4 races we have 4 Mercedes 1 and 2s, then I’d be inclined to agree that it’s a boring championship at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

We are talking about 2019 here.

As much as we may like to look back to some golden age of F1 the truth is that it was always a money game.
    It is easy to question the motives of current team owners but there were always people hanging around F1 who were there for less than pure love of racing cars.

If Lance Stroll spent his money on ocean racing or Antarctic expeditions someone else would be there to put two cars on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Hoping for a nice and crazy race...I won't get my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Up since two hours, perfectly timed for the race lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Just awake in time to see the grid walk
    Hope it's a good race, with some surprises

Advertisement