Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you blame him or not, MP manhandles woman protester

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Fascinating range of options here.
    I'd reckon if this was 10 years ago, it wouldn't have even made the news.

100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Because there was obviously nothing to handle. Look at how everyone else just shepherds the protestors calmly and there is no trouble.

Several of the people sitting on the same row as Fields didn't even turn around as she passed behind them and yet we are expected to believe him that he thought she was a terrorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Fascinating range of options here.
    I'd reckon if this was 10 years ago, it wouldn't have even made the news.

Outrage culture and people are a lot more entitled these days, massively so compared to even ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I’m sure there were metal detectors and X rays on the way in, same as going through airport security. I’m not sure how the protesters got to be there, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they bought tickets.

There are metal detectors. I just checked. They went through the entrance as normal and were greeted by police. They were not asked for ID.

They did gatecrash the event though.

Security must have known they have were unarmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ha ha ha, this is just great. If this thread is in anyway a reflection of broader society, we're by and large a population afraid of their own shadow.

Nothing new about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

How is this even a question, protesting is 1 thing, but coming into a Table full of MP's and the like, rushing them, and expecting nothing in return? Me Personally, grabbed by the throat and sprint them out is getting off lightly, regardless of its a man or woman, she could have been armed with anything. He was completely in his right to do it. If this was America the woman would have been shot

Several of the people sitting on the same row as Fields didn't even turn around as she passed behind them and yet we are expected to believe him that he thought she was a terrorist.

She didn't have to be planning a decapitation at the top table, could have been going to throw food off a plate at people, small as that, that is why he only restrained her and marched her out.

If he though it was a more aggressive threat he wouldn't have been so retrained.

There are metal detectors. I just checked. They went through the entrance as normal and were greeted by police. They were not asked for ID.

They did gatecrash the event though.

Security must have known they have were unarmed.

The table has knives on it but given the mild approach to her, others, including Field knew she wasn't armed.

Danzy wrote: »
    She didn't have to be planning a decapitation at the top table, could have been going to throw food off a plate at people, small as that, that is why he only restrained her and marched her out.

If he though it was a more aggressive threat he wouldn't have been so retrained.

She had been through metal detectors police had the opportunity to ask her for ID they didn't. They knew she was unarmed.

If she had been a threat he would have peed his pants.

gibgodsman wrote: »
    How is this even a question, protesting is 1 thing, but coming into a Table full of MP's and the like, rushing them, and expecting nothing in return? Me Personally, grabbed by the throat and sprint them out is getting off lightly, regardless of its a man or woman, she could have been armed with anything. He was completely in his right to do it. If this was America the woman would have been shot

Any evidence of a time when an american protester was shot in such circumstances?

• Advertisement

He has apologized BTW.

I would ask him to resign because i hate cowards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I feel the opinions might have reversed here if the ideologies of the people involved were different.

She had been through metal detectors police had the opportunity to ask her for ID they didn't. They knew she was unarmed.

If she had been a threat he would have peed his pants.

Maybe he would have, may that mild response was all he is capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

100% correct.

Only because the format of news has changed, nowadays it’s quickie news and then on to the next, this permits more quantity - would actually be interesting to compare the average lifetime of a boards thread now to 10 years ago, my assumption would be that it would have dropped fairly dramatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Lux23 wrote: »
    A woman couldn't march a man by the neck out of a room like that, so it would never happen.

You should tell that to the Israeli special forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

gibgodsman wrote: »

She wouldn't have been, and there was no rushing.

You have to look back over the last month to see how much whimps you've all become.

Farage gets milshaked - Rosary Clutching
    Jo Brand tells a joke - A decade of the rosary on the aforementioned beads and god save us all
    Women with a handbag - OMG, only for divine intervention we could have all been killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

I’m sure there were metal detectors and X rays on the way in, same as going through airport security. I’m not sure how the protesters got to be there, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they bought tickets.

Same questions for you

You’d imaging or you’d know?

Would metal detectors pick up a bottle of acid for instance?

Which entrance did all the protestors use?
    If you don’t definitively know the answers please acknowledge that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Tory scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Part of me thinks it's a big fuss over nothing.........BUT

For many years now, it's been accepted that it is not OK to physically accost someone, no matter how annoying you might find them.

A person with the responsibilities he has, should certainly have shown better judgement, restraint and more common sense.

I don't buy into his "but she could have been armed" argument either. I'd guess this was a convenient excuse he thought of after the event.

If there was a security presence at this event, it is their job to remove anyone who is causing disruption, not some have-a-go hero's job. If there wasn't security at the function, why wasn't there? Any event with MPs in attendance would surely be classed as a potential target.

It seems to me to be nothing more than an upper class Tory MP showing complete contempt for anyone who dares to protest.

(I also think John Prescott was wrong to punch the person who hit him with the egg that time, in case anyone thinks I'm only interested in condemning Tories who react like this.)

Tory scum.

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Some of the comments about his actions are hilarious. She didn't rush a table of dignitaries or anything like it. Barely call it a brisk walk. Yet she could have been armed with acid or worse.

He didn't even act like he thought she was a danger. He was just offended by her presence.

Does he need to be put in the stocks on the town square for locals to beat him? No. Whatever punishment befits an over the top manhandling of someone should suffice.

You should tell that to the Israeli special forces.

Most women in the Israeli forces don't see combat no matter what you hear.

And to be honest i don't think they should be in the army anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

tritium wrote: »
    Same questions for you

You’d imaging or you’d know?

Would metal detectors pick up a bottle of acid for instance?

Which entrance did all the protestors use?
    If you don’t definitively know the answers please acknowledge that

Whereabouts on her person do you imagine a woman in an evening dress is concealing a bottle of aci....actually don’t answer that.

I feel the opinions might have reversed here if the ideologies of the people involved were different.

Not so. I thought the milkshake guy and jo brand went too far. I stated so in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't have the same view of men and women as you do.

That doesn't mean you have to agree with me.

I don't think women and men are equal or should be treated equally in every way.

That doesn't mean i don't want to be friends with women who think differently or admire them etc. I don't want to fight with other women.

But i sometimes think differently.

If a man had gotten thrown out would i have thought that was ok? Well not OK ...particularly if he had been really hurt.

But I possibly would have been LESS outraged if that made sense.

So i suppose you could call me sexist yes. I guess i am. :)

I'm not so sure you have a 'less outraged' mode.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to think, I've only seen the short video. I understand reasoning on both sides, she could have been a threat, but realistically, in my opinion, I don't believe that if the minister thought she was an actual threat he would have acted the same. He was pissed off, said feck this I've had enough, and manhandled the woman out, low end of the scale of assault.

Apparently there was no security on site, that's a mistake in itself considering how things are, especially in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wouldn't have respect for someone who attention seeks by interjecting themselves into situations where they shiuldnt be. If the person had anything interesting to say then put some work into developing an audience, not this low energy approach

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Yes in a massive shock people do tend to shirk stepping up to the plate in a potential crisis

tritium wrote: »
    Yes in a massive shock people do tend to shirk stepping up to the plate in a potential crisis

Which do you think they do most often? Sit calmly or clamour to get out of harms way.
    No one moved in the entire room to try to escape this potential crisis. What does that tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Part of me thinks it's a big fuss over nothing.........BUT

For many years now, it's been accepted that it is not OK to physically accost someone, no matter how annoying you might find them.

A person with the responsibilities he has, should certainly have shown better judgement, restraint and more common sense.

I don't buy into his "but she could have been armed" argument either. I'd guess this was a convenient excuse he thought of after the event.

If there was a security presence at this event, it is their job to remove anyone who is causing disruption, not some have-a-go hero's job. If there wasn't security at the function, why wasn't there? Any event with MPs in attendance would surely be classed as a potential target.

It seems to me to be nothing more than an upper class Tory MP showing complete contempt for anyone who dares to protest.

(I also think John Prescott was wrong to punch the person who hit him with the egg that time, in case anyone thinks I'm only interested in condemning Tories who react like this.)

What did you think of the Scottish “have a go hero” that stopped Glasgow airport being bombed a few years ago. Should he have just stood back and let the terrorists into the airport and let security deal with the resultant explosion??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Should have to stuck his boot up her arse as he led her out by the scruff

Advertisement