Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars, should the prequels be remade.

Options
  • 24-05-2019 1:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30

There's a lot of specuallation as to what direction the star wars universe should take. Surely one of the more obvious things the could consider is a remake of the prequels? Anyone think this would be a good idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No. It’s done. Let it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

There's a lot of specuallation as to what direction the star wars universe should take. Surely one of the more obvious things the could consider is a remake of the prequels? Anyone think this would be a good idea?

Every decision since ROTJ has just made star wars worse. Whatever the dumb option is, that’s exactly what they’ll do. They might make it with lesbians and pan sexual robots this time and call it progressive. Stupid men.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

They might make it with lesbians and pan sexual robots this time and call it progressive.

I’d watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It will be done, but i doubt anytime soon, likely when all us moany gits are on our death beds :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I would be 100% behind it to be honest. I always thought they could have been saved with some fairly minor tweaks;

Don't have Anakin a cute kid followed by a love sick teen for 66% of them for one thing. For all their faults in the Prequel to Xmen Michael Fassbender did a brilliant job in making Magneto not really Villain but still hints of it there. Just have Anakin in the first film as a 19/20 year old who isn't bad or good just a mix of both. The sequels were hardly run away success stories so I wouldn't have much faith in them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No, I don't think they'll remake any of the Star Wars film, at least not explicitly. It's a literal universe of science-fantasy, they could make new stories from now til our own universe winks out of existence. Conventionally, remakes are usually geared towards re-imagining a more self-contained story or set of stories; even when sci-fi has remade itself (such as Battlestar Galactica), the reboot was set in a totally different universe (I think), whereas the '09 Trek reboot shot for a character reboot, by way of time travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just give me back Han firing first from the originals and I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Probably not, between the lads from game of thrones and Kathleen Kennedy, what could possibly go wrong? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Hell NO!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Be interesting to know if people are
    Against it cos they never want to see these films in any form again
    Against it because they’re happy with them such as they are
    Living in the real world and know it will never happen in this lifetime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

no, they should be forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'd be only interested in seeing the George Lucas planned 3D re-releases that didn't get released

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

When Disney first acquired Star Wars and announced there would be loads of new movies coming our way, my first thought was re-make the prequels first. And while I thought the reaction and campaign to GOT season 8 was largely pathetic, I would be on board if they decided to remake the prequels because THEY WERE THAT BAD!! George basically got everything wrong. The story, the writing, some of the casting, how it was shot and so on. Nobody was next to powerful enough to tell him to cop on, hire a good writer, a good director and re-think the entire story. It's like he wrote one draft for each movie and said to himself well that's done, good job George. It was a shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No because I don't think Anakin's story needed to be told in the first place, so nothing would be gained in remaking them. As I've said before, Rogue One is what episode 3 should have been. A whole trilogy like that about the early days of the Rebellion with no Jedi or Skywalkers would have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No because I don't think Anakin's story needed to be told in the first place, so nothing would be gained in remaking them. As I've said before, Rogue One is what episode 3 should have been. A whole trilogy like that about the early days of the Rebellion with no Jedi or Skywalkers would have been great.

I thought rogue one was a great idea, a story that had been mentioned but we knew next to nothing about. It didn’t quite come off but there could have been great legs in the early rebellion stuff. I know it’s the core of the star wars movies but I’m a bit sick of the skywalker family, in an infinite universe we keep coming across the same characters and their relatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

But the whole question of how Anakin turned from the light to the darkness is the impetus behind the prequels; it’s the one big issue arising in the OT that is never really dealt with. I don’t think it needed to be told (we already saw Luke being tempted by the Emperor, which hinted at what happened), but just as a sequel has to tell us what happens to Luke Skywalker, a true prequel—rather than a simple spinoff—has to tell us how Anakin became Vader.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

i'd to see

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

George Lucas stated this week that his Star Wars movies (both original and prequel trilogies) were made for 12 year olds, they just happened to turn out more popular than he had planned.

So, the Prequels are fine, it's just you're not a 12 year old anymore and if you want to watch Star Wars again, it should be with your own kids as the director originally intended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wedwood wrote: »
    George Lucas stated this week that his Star Wars movies (both original and prequel trilogies) were made for 12 year olds, they just happened to turn out more popular than he had planned.

So, the Prequels are fine, it's just you're not a 12 year old anymore and if you want to watch Star Wars again, it should be with your own kids as the director originally intended.

I see where he's coming from, but TBH if that were 100% true, Phantom Menace wouldn't have been clogged up by all the tedious political filler that kept grinding the pace to a halt. Or for that matter, Jar-Jar Binks; I'm confident most 12 years would have been too old for that nonsense 'cos that character surely skewed towards younger audiences than pre-teen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Just give me back Han firing first from the originals and I'll be happy.

You should watch Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V27-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/id/12713

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭JayRoc

No because as far as I'm concerned the prequels never fecking happened

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jar Jar Binks origin story, leading up to the moment he ran into a pair of Jedi on Naboo.
    We need to see what jolly close scrapes he and his chums got into to put him in such low regard.
    Make it a musical comedy, with maybe cameos by Lady Gaga and the force ghost of Johnny Cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Meesa no hope so!

I’d say you’ll see a remake of the original trilogy at some point. They already have animated versions of it broken into shorts on the YouTube to get the kids in.
    They are pretty cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The fans deserve the Jar Jar Binks trilogy !!! Especially now that it is basically confirmed that he was a Sith Lord.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't think you can easily reboot movies that are part of an ongoing series. The prequels are canon to Ep IX which is only out this year.

Never say never, but I'm saying nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If it was done and dusted, sure remake them but it's not so make something new.

Would we rather see the prequels remade or the originals remade?
    I think it’s a matter of time before the originals are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Would we rather see the prequels remade or the originals remade?
    I think it’s a matter of time before the originals are.

Eps 7 and 8 are pretty much remakes of the originals already

Advertisement