Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - Truth Matters campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I stopped watching this rubbish years ago but I still have to pay the license fee.
    I don't even have any RTE apps on my phone.
    '.

Lots of people have this opinion but then forget about the soccer match they watched, or the GAA semi final, or the episodes of Love Hate, or listening to that Pogues gig on 2fm, or the headlines on the news featuring a crime in their locality, or the episode of Ordinary People, or the coverage of Irish men/women at Olympics etc etc...

RTE produce a wide range of output - much of which isn't to my tastes but I think the licence fee isn't extortionate for what is provided. Particularly when you look at what a Sky sub costs...

Edgware wrote: »
    Miriam " oh you're wonderful" comes to mind immediately

Her interview with Margaret Cash epitomises this.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

KaneToad wrote: »
    Lots of people have this opinion but then forget about the soccer match they watched, or the GAA semi final, or the episodes of Love Hate, or listening to that Pogues gig on 2fm, or the headlines on the news featuring a crime in their locality, or the episode of Ordinary People, or the coverage of Irish men/women at Olympics etc etc...

RTE produce a wide range of output - much of which isn't to my tastes but I think the licence fee isn't extortionate for what is provided. Particularly when you look at what a Sky sub costs...

I don't watch sport and have no interest in live TV nor do any of my household.
    If people want to watch these programs they should be made pay to watch them through a subscription service such as Sky or Virgin the people who don't want to watch should not have to pay. The License fee is just an out dated stealth tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

RTE and Truth. Strange bedfellows.
    RTE = TRUTH.
    The official propaganda mouthpiece of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union was 'Pravda' which means truth!
    Its been tried before RTE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

They made a big deal about reshowing Love Hate in June, one of the only decent shows they ever made, and then switched it a few weeks in from Friday nights to Monday.

They then abruptly stopped showing it after Season 2 with no explanation, with 3 seasons still left. They can't even put on repeats without utter incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭CiarraiManc

I think it's fair to say it's heavily biased towards the Democrat Party, particularly the new Washington correspondent. I don't think there has been a good or positive word about President Trump on RTE in 5 years.

Probably because there's nothing positive to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

They made a big deal about reshowing Love Hate in June, one of the only decent shows they ever made, and then switched it a few weeks in from Friday nights to Monday.

They then abruptly stopped showing it after Season 2 with no explanation, with 3 seasons still left. They can't even put on repeats without utter incompetence.

:eek TV debate!! Write and complain.

Probably because there's nothing positive to say
    Biased nonsense. Their economy and job growth was flying befoe the pandemic. They had many years. You are claiming that Trump admin has not done one positive thing at all, in 4 years?

RTE are supposed to be neutral not broadcasting PR and propaganda for the Democrat Party.

:eek TV debate!! Write and complain.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I still get the news in the morning, listen to 'What it says in the papers' and turn it off then. Listened to Sean O'Rourke regularly enough, thought Sarah McInerney was a good replacement, but they did their usual messing around and put Claire Byrne in on a long term contract. She's a poor replacement.

I stopped listening to most of their news in 2016. Their constant pro-Clinton and anti-Trump news was beginning to sicken me (I don't like Clinton, but would prefer her to Trump). It was never ending; Morning Ireland's biased slants, Joe Duffy and Ray D'Arcy spouting their own personal opinions and every other broadcaster inable to hold their contempt for Trump.

We had our own General Election in February 2016, it was a kind of snap election, had a 3 week run in. But on at least 3 times during that election, they lead with anti-Trump stories when he was seeking the nomination to run for the Republicans, a full 7 bloody months out from the election, whilst we were 7-10 days away from our own.

The shock in their voices on the morning he was elected said everything you need to know about them. I also have no idea how Miriam O'Callaghan was left in a current affairs role after her biased treatment of Martin McGuinness during the 2011 election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't watch any of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I don't watch sport and have no interest in live TV nor do any of my household. (...) The License fee is just an out dated stealth tax.

Actually you can easily and legally avoid paying the tax by getting rid of your tv if you have no interest in it anyway. It's a lot more difficult in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Biased nonsense. Their economy and job growth was flying befoe the pandemic. They had many years. You are claiming that Trump admin has not done one positive thing at all, in 4 years?

RTE are supposed to be neutral not broadcasting PR and propaganda for the Democrat Party.

Their cherry picking of US news is the worst. They'll cover some obscure story that even their hero's in CNN didn't bother with, while totally ignoring countless other stories. Negative news about the Democrats, and ESPECIALLY, the Clintons, is totally off limits.

I don't watch sport and have no interest in live TV nor do any of my household.
    If people want to watch these programs they should be made pay to watch them through a subscription service such as Sky or Virgin the people who don't want to watch should not have to pay. The License fee is just an out dated stealth tax.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Taxes are there to provide benefits for all of society, not just you/your household.

I pay some of my income towards providing welfare payments to children (children's allowance) and unemployed adults (dole)? I don't personally benefit from either but I can see the societal benefits.

That aside, I would be very surprised if none of your family have ever used any of the services that are funded by the licence fee...

Quaderno wrote: »
    Actually you can easily and legally avoid paying the tax by getting rid of your tv if you have no interest in it anyway. It's a lot more difficult in other countries.

I would in the morning but my kids use it for the Xbox and Netflix it serves no other purpose

I couldn't disagree with you more. Taxes are there to provide benefits for all of society, not just you/your household.

I pay some of my income towards providing welfare payments to children (children's allowance) and unemployed adults (dole)? I don't personally benefit from either but I can see the societal benefits.

That aside, I would be very surprised if none of your family have ever used any of the services that are funded by the licence fee...

Yes they did the Late Late Christmas show in December which they got board with after an hour but I hardly think this is worth €160.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭bloopy

AllForIt wrote: »
    I agree with the OP 100%

I think RTE's coverage is way OTT and over the last few months I've never watched so little RTE News for the sake of my own mental health.

But I'm not concerned about myself, I'm concerned about my elderly mum who seems to be somewhat addicted to following all this day by day and I think that is due in no small part to RTE's hysterical reporting.

Their ads might as well be George Lee having a w*** to the latest Covid numbers just before he goes on air.
    They should just be honest about it seeing as they are all about truth and reality these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭CiarraiManc

Drumpf has overseen the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans, the decay of democracy and a gross violation of human rights at the border with the concentration camps. He's an evil disgusting pig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Drumpf has overseen the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans, the decay of democracy and a gross violation of human rights at the border with the concentration camps. He's an evil disgusting pig

See? This is what happens when media companies abandon balance, good man sir, just in time!!!

^^^
    This is a brain on twitter and RTE news 24/7

Drumpf? Concentration camps? What are you 12 years old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Selective reporting is fake news. And RTÉ are very guilty for it.

When Michael Martin went to Brussels for the European Bail Out, all they could carry was Martin saying it was a great deal for Ireland and other positive stories. They alluded to being net contributors and spun it as positive.

They failed to omit that we were out of pocket by 16bn.

I think there are still a large part of the population that still think we are getting a bailout from Europe when this is all over. We were absolutely shafted and media don't want to highlight it in case it stokes any Anti-EU sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The truth is whatever you can make people believe.

Just seen that Ronan Glynns wife is an RTE journalist.

George Carlin "It's a big club and you ain't in it!"

Just seen that Ronan Glynns wife is an RTE journalist.

George Carlin "It's a big club and you ain't in it!"

You could not make this stuff up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

RTE lost all credibility for me when the FG/Lab government were enshrining the promissory note as sovereign debt, RTE played a film called 'Dinner for Schmucks' vrs TV3 did a programme with Vincent Brown explaining what was happening.
    Years ago I know but they are a mouthpiece nothing more nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This time when Biden loses they will have even more egg on their face than when President Hillary lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This time when Biden loses they will have even more egg on their face than when President Hillary lost.

This reminds me of the smug ****s at Paddy Powers paying out early on a Clinton win. At least PP probably learned their lesson, RTE never seem to learn.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I feel it is also affecting my parents. They have on TV/Radio most of the day. I would agree that RTE news coverage is pretty toxic and I feel could damage the mental health of viewers.

You appear to base your assertions on the way you feel rather than facts.

I listen to the news on RTE every day and it hasn't damaged my mental health.

Are your parents feeble minded? Do they not have the capacity to think for themselves?

And why do you presume it would damage others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's almost a competitive sport around here where people try to out do each other with their claims about how long they have gone without a single RTE service.

"Well I have never listened to a single minute of radio since I got (insert steaming/podcast service here)"

"Oh I get all my news from BBC, ITV, SKY..."

"Oh I only watch the Irish soccer games/GAA games on SKY"

I'm guessing people consume a lot more RTE than they are willing to admit.

I'd imagine that during the COVID-19 crisis a lot of people who claim otherwise got their news from RTE.
    And why wouldn't they, it's the main new broadcast outlet in the state.
    It's nothing to be ashamed about saying you watch or listen to RTE

Advertisement