Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2m taxpayer funds for GAA facilities

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Grab all association. They get everything. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Just I'd be the first one to get in with that old chestnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Money well spent and the facility will be used for many years to come.

At least gaa funds are handled properly unlike the missappropriation of funds and all expenses paid trips for girlfriends over at the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

GAA folks are taxpayers too. If two million people in Ireland enjoy the ol' GAA that's only one euro each out of their taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"We’re building a dome here and we’re using all the hot air that comes out of our Connacht Council meetings!" joked provincial secretary John Prenty.

Loving it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hate the GAA and everything they stand for >insular irish narrow mindedness

i don't want a penny of my taxpayers money going to them, we should be promoting international sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GAA folks are taxpayers too. If two million people in Ireland enjoy the ol' GAA that's only one euro each out of their taxes.

Tax isn't a savings scheme where you get to spend it on your favourite things .

The gaa has plenty of money to build their domes wherever they like.

Sports Grant's and the like should be for grassroots areas of sports. Activities for top level sports that generate their own money should be self funded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I can think of worse things to spend money on than a voluntary organisation that gives immense pleasure to a sizable chunk of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

fryup wrote: »

i don't want a penny of my taxpayers money going to them, we should be promoting international sports

They're not insular. They will allow anybody to join them, not matter what their politics, class, colour or creed.

For instance nearly half my club's current minor panel are of eastern European extraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I think the FAI does ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

As an outsider it’s a pretty open organisation that is well run and preserves the amateur ethos. The organisation is vastly better than the FAI for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

International sports like what?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah it's been a while since we last had a GAA bashing thread around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Prenty must be nearly up there with Frank Murphy in terms of tenure at this stage. He seems to have been Connacht secretary forever at this stage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wait till they are banning someone for using it for a charity soccer match, then we can get the outrage going.I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread yet on the disgraceful donegal situation

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Wait till they are banning someone for using it for a charity soccer match, then we can get the outrage going.I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread yet on the disgraceful donegal situation

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/its-a-disgrace-dad-hits-out-at-possible-ban-for-club-after-they-hosted-fundraising-match-in-his-honour-38046538.html
    A former GAA football player and coach who is battling Motor Neuron Disease has hit out at the controversy over the possible eight-week suspension of his local club for ‘hosting’ a fundraising match in his honour.

Father-of-three Paul Dillon, (45), from Newtowncunningham, Co Donegal said he was taken aback that his local GAA club, Naomh Colmcille, could now face possible sanctions for allowing a charity football match to raise funds to help him manage his illness go ahead.

The GAA a great bunch of lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

unbelievable in this day & age

*thats what i'm getting at with my previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Like what rugby?? A sport full of idiots!!

We should be promoting our national sport!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Money well spent and the facility will be used for many years to come.

At least gaa funds are handled properly unlike the missappropriation of funds and all expenses paid trips for girlfriends over at the FAI.

Why are managers of clubs and counties up and down the country giving lots and lots of CASH to manage senior teams (minor teams too in some counties)?

Is this money been recorded in clubs books?

Why are managers of clubs and counties up and down the country giving lots and lots of CASH to manage senior teams (minor teams too in some counties)?

Is this money been recorded in clubs books?

"Travel & other Expenses" are paid by clubs or county boards and are fully recorded and reported.

The issue tends to be more from arranging for a sponsor to make payments to the manager or coaches directly - never touches the club/country board bank account and they can deny it was anything to do with them at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blackwhite wrote: »
    "Travel & other Expenses" are paid by clubs or county boards and are fully recorded and reported.

The issue tends to be more from arranging for a sponsor to make payments to the manager or coaches directly - never touches the club/country board bank account and they can deny it was anything to do with them at all.

Do you honestly believe that. Clubs paying €10-€15,000 and you say this is expenses?

From last years annual report

https://www.gaa.ie/news/payment-managers-strike-the-heart-gaa-ethos/

The GAA cannot continue to turn a blind eye to the culture of illegal payments to team managers at club and county level.

That was the warning issued today by outgoing GAA Ard Stiurthóir Páraic Duffy in his Annual Report.

The most significant development since 2010, in my view, is that an increasing number of irregular payments are now being made at club level.

“Such payments strike at the heart of the origins and relevance of the Association’s amateur and volunteer ethos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

mrmorgan wrote: »
    It is not our national sport. And you can be an Irish man or woman without playing GAA games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Like what rugby?? A sport full of idiots!!

Sorry, I've decided that croquet is the new national sport. We'll be building a new National Croquet Centre which will have a double dome with a central tower. It should only cost the tax payer €5 each and we've found a site with a lovely ringfort which we can level without planning permission on which to build this monument to true Irishness.

It is not our national sport.

They are, and your foreign garrison games are still your foreign garrison games no matter how many green jerseys you dress them up in.

Do you honestly believe that. Clubs paying €10-€15,000 and you say this is expenses?

From last years annual report

https://www.gaa.ie/news/payment-managers-strike-the-heart-gaa-ethos/

The GAA cannot continue to turn a blind eye to the culture of illegal payments to team managers at club and county level.

That was the warning issued today by outgoing GAA Ard Stiurthóir Páraic Duffy in his Annual Report.

The most significant development since 2010, in my view, is that an increasing number of irregular payments are now being made at club level.

“Such payments strike at the heart of the origins and relevance of the Association’s amateur and volunteer ethos.

I'm guessing reading comprehension wasn't high on the list of topics in dundalk schools then :confused:

Clubs and county boards dress up a percentage that they think they can get away with as "Travel and Expenses".
    The rest is completely off the books and hidden by getting a sponsor to make the payment directly. So instead of getting sponsorship and making a payment - all of which would leave an audit trail in the accounts - they have arrangements with sponsors to keep the cash flow away from any official GAA accounts. These are the "irregular" payments,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It is not our national sport. And you can be an Irish man or woman without playing GAA games.

It is our national sport

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They are, and your foreign garrison games are still your foreign garrison games no matter how many green jerseys you dress them up in.

was there really any need to bring that in? what do you really gain by mentioning that?

was there really any need to bring that in? what do you really gain by mentioning that?

It is factually correct. Are you denying this? Curiously you had no issue with the guy who initiated this by claiming the sports administered by the GAA are not Ireland's national sports. They very much are, no matter how much the usual Irish haters wish to contend otherwise by claiming English sports as Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're annoyed about €2m to a body that runs valuable community sporting facilities in every parish in the country, wait until you hear about the €16m the greyhound industry gets so they can give prize money to a tiny handful of animal abusers involved in a niche sport that gives nothing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is factually correct. Are you denying this? .

My issue is that it shows you are stuck in the past.
    Curiously you had no issue with the guy who initiated this by claiming the sports administered by the GAA are not Ireland's national sports. They very much are, no matter how much the usual Irish haters wish to contend otherwise.

well apologies if i dont respond to every post that you think i should

• Advertisement

My issue is that it shows you are stuck in the past.

Interesting. So, how are "national sports" created if not from a past? You think you just invent them one minute and they become "national sports" the next? Please do tell.
    well apologies if i dont respond to every post that you think i should

Yeah, not of course because his attack on the GAA corresponded with your own prejudices...

Advertisement