Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2m taxpayer funds for GAA facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Connacht gaa centre is already an excellent facility that is used by clubs and county teams in the province. We get by far the worst weather in the country and lots of games especially at underage level are either postponed or cancelled due to frost or water logged pitches.

€2 million is a drop in the ocean for something that will benefit children and teenagers for years to come.
    Irish tax payer will end up paying €70 billion to pay banking crisis with nothing to show for it.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Guys just need to make a super mega draw for a super posh house in Dalkey and make bazillion euros from it. Who wouldn't like the chance of living there for JUST 100EURO!!!!

....There, got the funding sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Money well spent and the facility will be used for many years to come.

At least gaa funds are handled properly unlike the missappropriation of funds and all expenses paid trips for girlfriends over at the FAI.

It's a great set up but It's a vanity project for one man and its astonishing he keeps getting money for it.
    They was much better ways they could have spent all that money in Connacht gaa than building the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Connacht gaa centre is already an excellent facility that is used by clubs and county teams in the province. We get by far the worst weather in the country and lots of games especially at underage level are either postponed or cancelled due to frost or water logged pitches.

€2 million is a drop in the ocean for something that will benefit children and teenagers for years to come. Irish tax payer will end up paying €70 billion to pay banking crisis with nothing to show for it.

We could have put the 2 million towards the 70 million owed and let the very wealthy GAA pay their own way.

After all its only a drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Your Face wrote: »
    We could have put the 2 million towards the 70 million owed and let the very wealthy GAA pay their own way.

After all its only a drop in the ocean.

GAA have money, the individual provincial council's not so much and when you go further down to county level and club level many exist only thanks to public donations. Roscommon county board had to go around cap in hand to bars/restaurants etc to pay for the costs of travel and accommodation for when our under 17s got to the all Ireland final 2 summers ago...that's one example but I am sure there are many others like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    At least gaa funds are handled properly unlike the missappropriation of funds and all expenses paid trips for girlfriends over at the FAI.

I suppose that's the case until proved otherwise but I would keep a skeptical eye. There are open rumblings at times about remuneration for bainisteoirí, expenses and inducements and so on. I somehow doubt that all is squeaky clean.

All public monies granted for these type of facilities should have conditions attached as regards more open community use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

You called me a West Brit before, dude. Even though you’re some sort of plastic Paddy living in South Dublin who thinks speaking stiff civil service Irish, and giving out about foreign sports grants you some additional claims to your Irishness

While I was born in the Whest of Ireland, a native Irish speaker, winner of an All Ireland club football medal, played for Gaillimh in Croke Park at underage level, keen fiddle player, passable uilleann pipe player, heavy drinker, occasional fighter, raconteur, a vigorous and imaginative lover.

You’ve a very British attitude to things to be honest - almost Presbyterian in your dogmatic views on the world.

Best pen portrait I've read in ages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/its-a-disgrace-dad-hits-out-at-possible-ban-for-club-after-they-hosted-fundraising-match-in-his-honour-38046538.html
    A former GAA football player and coach who is battling Motor Neuron Disease has hit out at the controversy over the possible eight-week suspension of his local club for ‘hosting’ a fundraising match in his honour.

Father-of-three Paul Dillon, (45), from Newtowncunningham, Co Donegal said he was taken aback that his local GAA club, Naomh Colmcille, could now face possible sanctions for allowing a charity football match to raise funds to help him manage his illness go ahead.

The GAA a great bunch of lads!

I saw this story on UTV earlier. It really is a joke. Like who the feck at a county board level could have thought this was a wise move.

There has to have been some sane head who could have said hold on here lads, this is going to make us look like a bag of *****. Let’s let the rules drift on this one. They should be told to go and feck themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

You called me a West Brit before, dude. Even though you’re some sort of plastic Paddy living in South Dublin who thinks speaking stiff civil service Irish, and giving out about foreign sports grants you some additional claims to your Irishness

While I was born in the Whest of Ireland, a native Irish speaker, winner of an All Ireland club football medal, played for Gaillimh in Croke Park at underage level, keen fiddle player, passable uilleann pipe player, heavy drinker, occasional fighter, raconteur, a vigorous and imaginative lover.

You’ve a very British attitude to things to be honest - almost Presbyterian in your dogmatic views on the world.

From now on only post to this calibre :).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

€2 million is a drop in the ocean for something that will benefit children and teenagers for years to come. Irish tax payer will end up paying €70 billion to pay banking crisis with nothing to show for it.

If it was so needed why didnt the GAA pay for it? They have the money.

"We care about the kids so much we'll let them do without till the government stumps up the money for it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If it was so needed why didnt the GAA pay for it? They have the money.

They probably had to pay out bonuses to the “real” GAA people over in Croke Park.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wait till they are banning someone for using it for a charity soccer match, then we can get the outrage going.I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread yet on the disgraceful donegal situation

I'm hoping that disgraceful decision gets turned on appeal.

My local club have AstroTurf pitches up the back of the premises where they don't mind earning a few bob of the local lads on a Fri evening for five aside.

But hypocritical for them to punish the lads up in Donegal so harshly considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

More hyperbole. You seem to have serious issues with accepting historical facts you don't like. The GAA administers Ireland's national games and no number of denials from you or your fellow travellers will dress up the games of the British garrison as Ireland's national games. Next time don't make obtuse claims about the GAA and we won't have to highlight the politics of your British colonial games in response.
    What a load of childish claptrap
    Typical underachiever insecurity.
    And by the way we don't have a national sport
    But if we did it would be soccer as that sport has the highest participation level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Last Call

"2 million enjoy the ol GAA so it's clearly money well spent"

1 million enjoy music festivals so the tax payer should fund state of the art facilities all over the country. Then we should allow concert promoters to ban all forms of "foreign" entertainment on their gifted grounds and let them sit empty 350 days of the year. Then we get to pay music "coaches" loads of cash, how much exactly anyone's guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Last Call wrote: »
    "2 million enjoy the ol GAA so it's clearly money well spent"

1 million enjoy music festivals so the tax payer should fund state of the art facilities all over the country. Then we should allow concert promoters to ban all forms of "foreign" entertainment on their gifted grounds and let them sit empty 350 days of the year. Then we get to pay music "coaches" loads of cash, how much exactly anyone's guess.
    That is a very stretched comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Elmer Jones

It always mystifies me that GAA clubs are fully aware of the GAA's rules regarding non GAA governed sports being played on GAA grounds and yet continually decide to flout the rules of the association they are a part of.

Do they not know that they can get the rules changed if they want and get a motion put before congress and have the rules changed.

If more clubs simply pout a small bit of effort into getting the rules changed they could use their grounds for whatever sport they wanted and wouldn't be getting in trouble for deliberately ignoring the GAA's rules.

But of course they decide not to do that because in Ireland it is much better to whinge about something rather than be proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

fryup wrote: »
    i hate the GAA and everything they stand for >insular irish narrow mindedness

i don't want a penny of my taxpayers money going to them, we should be promoting international sports

True. Look at the excellent job Delaneys Donkeys are doing in the F.A.I.

And by the way we don't have a national sport
    But if we did it would be soccer as that sport has the highest participation level.

I always felt Hurling should be our national sport as it is the most skilful and most enjoyable to watch of all the “native” sports.

I’m not sure participation levels should come into it considering the “official” language of the state has such a low number using it regularly.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I always felt Hurling should be our national sport as it is the most skilful and most enjoyable to watch of all the “native” sports.

I’m not sure participation levels should come into it considering the “official” language of the state has such a low number using it regularly.

The smugness of the hurling snob knows no bounds, many of these snobs don't even play it but love to gush about the gaelic uniqueness of hurling, then the way they declare ( as if it were an undeniable fact) how

"it's the most skillful game in the world"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nope that's a wildly inaccurate number. We will just pay for Anglo.

I don't think there is too much argument against the construction of the facility, merely who benefits from it. As things stand that will only benefit "children and teenagers for years to come" as long as they are part of the GAA. It has been touted as good for all of Connacht. The only way that happens is if everyone can access it, even if they have to pay something. Sure it can favour the GAA but really not all that inclusive.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nope that's a wildly inaccurate number. We will just pay for Anglo.

I don't think there is too much argument against the construction of the facility, merely who benefits from it. As things stand that will only benefit "children and teenagers for years to come" as long as they are part of the GAA. It has been touted as good for all of Connacht. The only way that happens is if everyone can access it, even if they have to pay something. Sure it can favour the GAA but really not all that inclusive.

Most things that taxpayers money is used for doesn't benefit everyone.

I don't have any interest in Swimming yet tax payers money has been used to build swimming pools up and down the country.

Everyone has the option to play gaelic games if they want to so everyone does have the potential to have access to a GAA facility.

Most things that taxpayers money is used for doesn't benefit everyone.

I don't have any interest in Swimming yet tax payers money has been used to build swimming pools up and down the country.

Everyone has the option to play gaelic games if they want to so everyone does have the potential to have access to a GAA facility.

Swimming pools are good for overall public health, a government remit BTW, and open to all the public. One does not need membership, just money. Access is only based on membership in the GAA context and as recent GAA activity shows they exclude what suits them.

Swimming pools are good for overall public health, a government remit BTW, and open to all the public. One does not need membership, just money. Access is only based on membership in the GAA context and as recent GAA activity shows they exclude what suits them.

Anybody can become a member of a GAA club it's very cheap to have just general membership.

GAA has provided an outlet for people to exercise so it's also good for overall public health.

Basically your argument is coming down to GAA clubs are only for people who like GAA which is true much like swimming pools or athletics tracks etc are only for people interested in swimming and athletics.

Anybody can become a member of a GAA club it's very cheap to have just general membership.

GAA has provided an outlet for people to exercise so it's also good for overall public health.

Basically your argument is coming down to GAA clubs are only for people who like GAA which is true much like swimming pools or athletics tracks etc are only for people interested in swimming and athletics.

No, my problem here is the pretence that this facility is for everyone, when it is clear it's extremely conditional. I accept that money gets handed out to all manner of sports but many other sports do not set such restrictive conditions for who can use those facilities.

No, my problem here is the pretence that this facility is for everyone, when it is clear it's extremely conditional. I accept that money gets handed out to all manner of sports but many other sports do not set such restrictive conditions for who can use those facilities.

If you want to join a GAA club and avail of it's facilities you can.

If you want to join an athletcis club and use it's facilities you can .

If you want to join a Rugby Club and use it's facilities you can.

If you want to join a Soccer club and use it's facilities you can.

All sports are pretty much the same in this regard yet the GAA is the only one that gets targeted by cranks every time some funding is given to the organisation.

If you want to join a GAA club and avail of it's facilities you can.

If you want to join an athletcis club and use it's facilities you can .

If you want to join a Rugby Club and use it's facilities you can.

If you want to join a Soccer club and use it's facilities you can.

All sports are pretty much the same in this regard yet the GAA is the only one that gets targeted by cranks every time some funding is given to the organisation.

Other sports are far more tolerant of who can use their facilities. There is usually a cost but they are still available. I see you've resorted to the crank taunt. Well, I admire the GAA in general for what they do. That said, I don't like their Beal Bocht approach to public funding and I do question why some of it is allowed to go on what looks like general public amenities but which are clearly restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

It might be our nationalists' sport, but Gaelic football is a modern game.

"The first Gaelic football rules, showing the influence of hurling and a desire to differentiate from association football—for example in their lack of an offside rule—were drawn up by Maurice Davin and published in the United Ireland magazine on 7 February 1887."

This argument is always thrown towards gaelic. What you mean is that is was codified in the 19th century...much like soccer and rugby then? In any case every sport is made up in some shape or form.

There are records of catch and kick games from the 17th century and intercounty games from the 18th century with similar rules. Caid then emerged in the early 19th century. Gaelic football would be by far the closest derivative to those games played today. To state is was made up as some form of rugby/soccer hybrid, as it often is, is disingenuous.

Other sports are far more tolerant of who can use their facilities. There is usually a cost but they are still available. I see you've resorted to the crank taunt. Well, I admire the GAA in general for what they do. That said, I don't like their Beal Bocht approach to public funding and I do question why some of it is allowed to go on what looks like general public amenities but which are clearly restricted.

The GAA are the only organisation that are continually picked on by people on this forum for availing of government funding.

Soccer facilities are only available to those who like soccer, rugby facilities are only for those who like rugby, tennis facilities are only for those who like tennis etc etc there is no difference yet I don't hear people complaining about money being spent on those sports or facilities for them.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The smugness of the hurling snob knows no bounds, many of these snobs don't even play it but love to gush about the gaelic uniqueness of hurling, then the way they declare ( as if it were an undeniable fact) how

"it's the most skillful game in the world"

Well, officially, I’d be a rugby “snob” but I played both hurling and football as a lad.

I’m not going to argue whether it’s the “most skilful game in the world” or not but I would say that it’s the most skilful game on this island.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

fryup wrote: »
    i hate the GAA and everything they stand for >insular irish narrow mindedness

i don't want a penny of my taxpayers money going to them, we should be promoting international sports

Oh God yes. Why should we bother about kids getting fresh air and exercise in Ballydehob and Belmullet when they could be watching stars on the telly?
    It's time to ask again: What does the GAA do with all its money? Why doesn't it give €55 million to the FAI?
    Come on all you guys who went to posh schools. Where are you Ross O'Carroll-Kelly?
    It's time to bump this. What better time to do so than now?

Advertisement