Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2m taxpayer funds for GAA facilities

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

They are, and your foreign garrison games are still your foreign garrison games no matter how many green jerseys you dress them up in.

Foreign garrison games???

Do you fondle yourself when you're posting that sort of lame rhetoric? Dreaming of a 32 county republic and crying into your weak tea about 'blood sacrifices.'

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Interesting. So, how are "national sports" created if not from a past? You think you just invent them one minute and they become "national sports" the next? Please do tell.

acknowledging the past is one thing, reliving it continually is another.
    Yeah, not of course because his attack on the GAA corresponded with your own prejudices...

they dont so you can cut out that nonsense. I have no prejudice against the GAA. well except that Vinny Murphy bollix that played for dublin.

Foreign garrison games???

Do you fondle yourself when you're posting that sort of lame rhetoric? Dreaming of a 32 county republic and crying into your weak tea about 'blood sacrifices.'

Ha. So, soccer, rugby and cricket are not foreign games brought here by the British garrison and are instead Ireland's "national games"? Always entertaining to hear the fantasy history of the Irish haters/West Brits.

Ha. So, soccer, rugby and cricket are not foreign games brought here by the British garrison and are instead Ireland's "national games"? Always entertaining to hear the fantasy history of the Irish haters/West Brits.

it is that "You're either with me or again me" attitude that needs to stay in the past where it belongs. The world is not black or white.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

seamus wrote: »
    If you're annoyed about €2m to a body that runs valuable community sporting facilities in every parish in the country, wait until you hear about the €16m the greyhound industry gets so they can give prize money to a tiny handful of animal abusers involved in a niche sport that gives nothing back.

I think many folks have issues with GAA only facility, when tax money is involved. Considering the GAA go mental if the facility isn't available to them

• Advertisement

Less of the passive racism please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

You do know you're allowed to play and enjoy and watch sports that werent invented in your own country?

Every country in the world does that.

Its normal.

it is that "You're either with me or again me" attitude that needs to stay in the past where it belongs. The world is not black or white.

More hyperbole. You seem to have serious issues with accepting historical facts you don't like. The GAA administers Ireland's national games and no number of denials from you or your fellow travellers will dress up the games of the British garrison as Ireland's national games. Next time don't make obtuse claims about the GAA and we won't have to highlight the politics of your British colonial games in response.

More hyperbole. You seem to have serious issues with accepting historical facts you don't like. The GAA administers Ireland's national games and no number of denials from you or your fellow travellers will dress up the games of the British garrison as Ireland's national games. Next time don't make obtuse claims about the GAA and we won't have to highlight the politics of your British colonial games in response.

Maybe you need to take a bit of time off from your 'historical facts'? You seem a bit tense and wound up over the 'Brits' as you call them.

I have never suggested that soccer, rugby, et al are our national games. I have made no claims about the GAA. I only took issue with your outdated terminology. But because i took issue with something you said you assume that i totally oppose you on everything else concerned with the topic. That is exactly a "you're either with me or again me" philosophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

is_that_so wrote: »
    While this looks like a very good initiative should the taxpayer be on the hook for what is effectively a GAA only facility?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0424/1045285-indoor-inter-county-games-at-connachts-3m-air-dome/

Another massive coverup by the GAA!

Less of the passive racism please.
    You seem a bit tense and wound up over the 'Brits' as you call them.

Hmmm. Join Date: Apr 2019. Posts: 34. You sound very familiar with your patter and ad hominems so please go away and troll somewhere else.

• Site Banned Posts: 73 ✭✭Jimmy_oc1998

GAA are a disgrace.

They go around all year with their hand out yet the clubs pay managers of intermediate clubs 15k a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'm guessing reading comprehension wasn't high on the list of topics in dundalk schools then :confused:

Clubs and county boards dress up a percentage that they think they can get away with as "Travel and Expenses".
    The rest is completely off the books and hidden by getting a sponsor to make the payment directly. So instead of getting sponsorship and making a payment - all of which would leave an audit trail in the accounts - they have arrangements with sponsors to keep the cash flow away from any official GAA accounts. These are the "irregular" payments,

Went to school in Newry as why any kid would do the Leaving Cert when they can do A Levels (in subjects they want) 5 mins up the road!

Besides the point, GAA clubs dress up money that they think they can get away with as expenses and travel! So they are corrupt bastards aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Went to school in Newry as why any kid would do the Leaving Cert when they can do A Levels (in subjects they want) 5 mins up the road!

Besides the point, GAA clubs dress up money that they think they can get away with as expenses and travel! So they are corrupt bastards aswell?

Yes - that was the point. they bury some of the costs where they can get away with it, and have means of keeping the remainder "off the books".

Congratulations on only needing three posts to understand it.

Hmmm. Join Date: Apr 2019. Posts: 34. You sound very familiar with your patter and ad hominems so please go away and troll somewhere else.

I sometimes wonder if you're a parody account also. ;)

Yes - that was the point. they bury some of the costs where they can get away with it, and have means of keeping the remainder "off the books".

Congratulations on only needing three posts to understand it.

So you agree the GAA's members are acting totally against the ethics of the organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GAA are a disgrace.

They go around all year with their hand out yet the clubs pay managers of intermediate clubs 15k a year.

And ban clubs for letting a charity soccer match be played on their pitches (which used to be soccer pitches a few short years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

So you agree the GAA's members are acting totally against the ethics of the organisation?

A number of them are - yes.

Did it really take you four posts to understand that?? I'd be asking that school in Newry for their money back :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I sometimes wonder if you're a parody account also. ;)

He’s probably the only poster whose name I remember around this place. His persistence in Irishing everything up reminds me of those Boston Celtic jersey clad “Irish-Americans” who contribute money to the IRA and pour scorn on the real Irishman who voted for anything vaguely progressive.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Fuaranach’s ancestors were a bowl of soup away from Fuaranach himself being a member of those ranks. Instead he’s in Ireland, lost in an identity crisis. Bashing the Brits and spekking de English, greenface make-up flaking.

• Advertisement

A number of them are - yes.

Did it really take you four posts to understand that?? I'd be asking that school in Newry for their money back :pac:

I know for a fact my own club pay their manager with funds from the bar, lotto that are not been recorded. Players also pay a few euro a week to help.
    None of this is recorded.

Sooner or later a GAA club will be caught and the FAI (Delaney basically) will seem like a great man again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I know for a fact my own club pay their manager with funds from the bar, lotto that are not been recorded. Players also pay a few euro a week to help.
    None of this is recorded.

Sooner or later a GAA club will be caught and the FAI (Delaney basically) will seem like a great man again!

But the difference between gaa and fai, is the gaa give to thgrass roots, fai took from the grass roots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

You called me a West Brit before, dude. Even though you’re some sort of plastic Paddy living in South Dublin who thinks speaking stiff civil service Irish, and giving out about foreign sports grants you some additional claims to your Irishness

While I was born in the Whest of Ireland, a native Irish speaker, winner of an All Ireland club football medal, played for Gaillimh in Croke Park at underage level, keen fiddle player, passable uilleann pipe player, heavy drinker, occasional fighter, raconteur, a vigorous and imaginative lover.

You’ve a very British attitude to things to be honest - almost Presbyterian in your dogmatic views on the world.

But the difference between gaa and fai, is the gaa give to thgrass roots, fai took from the grass roots

My club paying €15K to their manager every year, This €15K could go into the grass roots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

ted1 wrote: »
    It is our national sport
    It might be our nationalists' sport, but Gaelic football is a modern game.

"The first Gaelic football rules, showing the influence of hurling and a desire to differentiate from association football—for example in their lack of an offside rule—were drawn up by Maurice Davin and published in the United Ireland magazine on 7 February 1887."

The ban introduced in 1901 on the playing of "foreign" games by the Gaelic Athletic Association, was not lifted until 1970.
    The GAA had only started and 14 years later they were banning people. :) There must have been "foreign" games in Ireland or else the GAA would have had nothing to ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It might be our nationalists' sport, but Gaelic football is a modern game.

"The first Gaelic football rules, showing the influence of hurling and a desire to differentiate from association football—for example in their lack of an offside rule—were drawn up by Maurice Davin and published in the United Ireland magazine on 7 February 1887."

The ban introduced in 1901 on the playing of "foreign" games by the Gaelic Athletic Association, was not lifted until 1970.
    The GAA had only started and 14 years later they were banning people. :) There must have been "foreign" games in Ireland or else the GAA would have had nothing to ban.
    I'm old enough to remember the days of Rule 27 and being forbidden to watch foreign games if I was a GAA player. To this day I don't have much interest in gaelic football, the so-called "national game."

I was only a child when Rule 27 was lifted but I already knew that I would much rather be perceived to be some sort of "west brit" than be hectored to by some culturally insecure, professional Paddywhackerist waving his display shillelagh around.

I've heard GAA culture has become mostly more inclusive in many respects in the last two decades, that is to be applauded. But I'll be damned if I'm ever gonna listen to any Plastic Paddy from Dublin lecture me on Irishness. I won't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You do know you're allowed to play and enjoy and watch sports that werent invented in your own country?

Every country in the world does that.

Its normal.

You're also allowed to nit like it or watch and /or play it without some tool getting their knickers in a twist and ranting about being west brits like some spoiled child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

GAA have enough money to pay for this themselves.
    They get a lot for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Connacht gaa centre is already an excellent facility that is used by clubs and county teams in the province. We get by far the worst weather in the country and lots of games especially at underage level are either postponed or cancelled due to frost or water logged pitches.

€2 million is a drop in the ocean for something that will benefit children and teenagers for years to come. Irish tax payer will end up paying €70 billion to pay banking crisis with nothing to show for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I can think of worse things to spend money on than a voluntary organisation that gives immense pleasure to a sizable chunk of the population.

exactly.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3669349/homeless-mum-margaret-cash-over-moon-house/

Advertisement