Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Brien 'sanctioned' by IRFU for pissing on someone in a pub.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I was referring to the fan-base. Essentially exhibiting alcoholic tendencies by making a day at a rugby match an excuse for a piss-up.

Oh sorry, your wrong about that too though.

There's a major blind eye turned to the antics of rugby players in Ireland.

Imagine this was James McClean or Jon Walters. It'd be front page news for days.

good middle-class boys don't do bad things don't you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SOB is 32 and nothing like this has ever happened before

It was his last game for Leinster, his last game for Ireland, his last game in Ireland and maybe his last game ever because of the injury

He made a mistake, the guys life was turned upside down in last few months. He had a few too many and apologised afterward

Get off your high horse

So which school did you go to then ?

I have known some scumbaggy things done by guys, some of whom are sports people although that would be GAA.
    Hell i know of one very famous intercounty All Ireland player that relieved himself on a public street, but p*ssing on someone is a different level of low.

And yes much like you are an apologist for your beloved rugby player, you will get GAA lads and indeed soccer lads excusing all level of scummy behaviour.

For some reason people excuse scummy behaviour from guys just because they happen to run round after a ball for their chosen team.

And worse still the employers of these guys, the organisations they represent will try their best to cover it up or buy people off.

Sports can bring out the worst in people as well as the best.

O'Brien was lucky he didn't run into some guy like a former kiwi did in Toulouse when he picked on the wrong guy who didn't roll over just because someone was an international sportsman with a big physique and a big reputation.

He could have gotten a smack in the puss and deservedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭benjy1000

The lad got a bit carried away with himself. When the drink is in and all that jazz. He has apologized , he’s been punished , time to move on and leave it in the past where it belongs.
    What a player he was in his hay day , gave us great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

salmocab wrote: »
    How exactly did he get away with this? I would think that the fact he’s a well known sports person has actually made this worse for him. If he was Sean that works in the local factory very few would have known about it.

Well if you or me would have done that, we'd be in trouble at best and without job at worst.
    I'm not saying he should lose his job over it and I'm aware that he might never play again with his upcoming surgery.
    It's also not the first time that he lost the plot after a few. As a 32 year old man who is representing a big sports club, who is representing brands that he's in contract with, should know better. It's his goddamn responsibility to act like a decent fella in public. He gets paid better than any of us ever will for it and has a very privileged lifestyle as a result.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    Well if you or me would have done that, we'd be in trouble at best and without job at worst.
    I'm not saying he should lose his job over it and I'm aware that he might never play again with his upcoming surgery.
    It's also not the first time that he lost the plot after a few. As a 32 year old man who is representing a big sports club, who is representing brands that he's in contract with, should know better. It's his goddamn responsibility to act like a decent fella in public. He gets paid better than any of us ever will for it and has a very privileged lifestyle as a result.

He has already finished playing with Ireland and Leinster. He is in effect working out his notice. He is about to move to another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

He has already finished playing with Ireland and Leinster. He is in effect working out his notice. He is about to move to another country.

I know that but that really doesn't excuse what he did. He now is about to play for another team so he isn't out of a job.
    Also it's not the first time he went overboard after a few.
    As a person in the spotlight your actions, good or bad, will be in the spotlight too. That's the nature of it.

It doesn't diminish his success as a player, he was a great player and has a long career for Leinster to look back at. But that doesn't automatically make him a good person. Met him, he is a gent but I can equally think that this behaviour shouldn't be tolerated, thankfully it wasn't.
    Like it or not, people in sports will always be looked up to and their actions will always be somewhat public.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Danzy wrote: »
    O'Brien should have faced a bigger sanction given what he did

A yellow card?

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

IF his hip operation* is a success.

If not his pro. rugby career is over and he will return to his Tullow farm and resume spreading slurry, milking bullocks and chasing ewes.

* He has signed a lucrative three-year deal with London Irish but his future is now uncertain. Asked if it could spell the end of his playing days if the surgery doesn't work out, the Carlow man said: "It possibly could, yeah, it possibly could. It's a shot in the dark, really.

"It's going to be a whole resurface of my hip joint. It's a similar procedure to the one Andy Murray underwent earlier this year so we'll see where it takes us," O'Brien commented. "But if it works it will keep my career going for another few years."

LirW wrote: »
    I know that but that really doesn't excuse what he did. He now is about to play for another team so he isn't out of a job.
    Also it's not the first time he went overboard after a few.
    As a person in the spotlight your actions, good or bad, will be in the spotlight too. That's the nature of it.

It doesn't diminish his success as a player, he was a great player and has a long career for Leinster to look back at. But that doesn't automatically make him a good person. Met him, he is a gent but I can equally think that this behaviour shouldn't be tolerated, thankfully it wasn't.
    Like it or not, people in sports will always be looked up to and their actions will always be somewhat public.

No it certainly doesn’t excuse his behavior nothing does but initially you suggested he’s getting away with it because he’s a sports star and he hasn’t in fact it’s worse for him as his fame means that more people know what he has done and it’s gained media attention that Seán the factory worker would not have got. As he is already leaving his employers are very limited on what they can do to him and as they aren’t telling us what the sanction is we can’t know if he has been punished harshly or not by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What happened with the victim of SOBs pissing, was it reported that he is not pressing charges?

I was referring to the fan-base. Essentially exhibiting alcoholic tendencies by making a day at a rugby match an excuse for a piss-up.

That’s a load of rubbish. Though I’d expect it given you clearly have a chip on your shoulder against what you perceive to be “the fan base”.

Give me an example of a time when a riot has ever broken out a high level rugby game. I’ll wait.

Why is it that rugby fans are allowed to drink alcohol in the stadium?
    Why are terraces permitted at rugby matches and not soccer matches?

It’s because by and large they’re capable of behaving themselves and not killing each other because someone else likes a different sports team.
    But you’ve no interest in the realities as your prejudiced posts have shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does anyone know how it happened? Was it true that he dipped his mick into someone's pocket? Or swinging it around more openly?

Does anyone know how it happened? Was it true that he dipped his mick into someone's pocket? Or swinging it around more openly?

He had it in his hand introducing it to people afaik..

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SOB is 32 and nothing like this has ever happened before

It was his last game for Leinster, his last game for Ireland, his last game in Ireland and maybe his last game ever because of the injury

He made a mistake, the guys life was turned upside down in last few months. He had a few too many and apologised afterward

Get off your high horse

There's plenty of form SOB doing stupid things when drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

? No you weren't. And if we were to pretend you were you'd be as wrong as you were in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

That’s a load of rubbish. Though I’d expect it given you clearly have a chip on your shoulder against what you perceive to be “the fan base”.

Give me an example of a time when a riot has ever broken out a high level rugby game. I’ll wait.

Why is it that rugby fans are allowed to drink alcohol in the stadium?
    Why are terraces permitted at rugby matches and not soccer matches?

It’s because by and large they’re capable of behaving themselves and not killing each other because someone else likes a different sports team.
    But you’ve no interest in the realities as your prejudiced posts have shown.

Plenty of terraces at football grounds. I’ve also been in grounds where you can bring your beer to your seat although more the exception than the rule. I actually prefer no drinking in the stands...pain in the arse paying to watch a game and constantly moving to let people in and out to bar.

I’ve never killed anyone at a football match yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm looking to the reaction in here when they learn about the Cork camogie player who got off with a donation to the poor for smashing the jaw off someone then punching someone else in a bar an hour later

I'm looking to the reaction in here when they learn about the Cork camogie player who got off with a donation to the poor for smashing the jaw off someone then punching someone else in a bar an hour later

Now there’s form there for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Sports stars are role models and afforded a different status, due to their own self importance.
    Really a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyone who claims there isn't a drink culture within rugby is living in denial.

Sure jaysus, there was such a public outcry at drink companies sponsoring GAA championships that it was eventually outlawed. Yet, rugby re-branded the Autumn Internationals as the Guinness Series to make them sound more prestigious than they actually are. How come an amateur organisation can disassociate itself from alcohol companies while a professional sporting body can continue to get sponsor money from it?

I have often attended local games in an official capacity for the local paper, and there is ALWAYS a wine reception and pre-match pints in the clubhouse hours before kick-off. And I don't know whether it is a widespread custom, or limited to the local club, but there is a post-match tradition too where the two captains down a pint of Guinness in the bar afterwards.

Now I am no prude, love a pint myself. But I can't believe so many people can almost laugh of his actions because he happens to play rugby, and not a common game like GAA or, god forbid, soccer.

Anyone who claims there isn't a drink culture within rugby is living in denial.

Sure jaysus, there was such a public outcry at drink companies sponsoring GAA championships that it was eventually outlawed. Yet, rugby re-branded the Autumn Internationals as the Guinness Series to make them sound more prestigious than they actually are. How come an amateur organisation can disassociate itself from alcohol companies while a professional sporting body can continue to get sponsor money from it?

I have often attended local games in an official capacity for the local paper, and there is ALWAYS a wine reception and pre-match pints in the clubhouse hours before kick-off. And I don't know whether it is a widespread custom, or limited to the local club, but there is a post-match tradition too where the two captains down a pint of Guinness in the bar afterwards.

Now I am no prude, love a pint myself. But I can't believe so many people can almost laugh of his actions because he happens to play rugby, and not a common game like GAA or, god forbid, soccer.

Is it really ‘so many people’? It seems in this thread that really only one person took that stance. Might be one or two more if I went digging. I have seen very few people online or within my group of friends(most of who played rugby) who have made any attempt to try to exonerate him because he was drunk.

Advertisement