Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Brien 'sanctioned' by IRFU for pissing on someone in a pub.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭threeball

London Irish are having a great off season

• Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Disappointing, 99.99% of people can go out for a drink and not cause a single issue, be it argument, physical fight, verbal altercation or whatever. Some people though after a few pints and that self control and self check can go out the window...however what the fûck snaps to the point that someone decided to piss on someone else... psychotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

He's takin the piss .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I know “Seanie” is Headin over London way soon but still I can’t believe how lightly he’s got off here.

I was a big fan of him on the pitch but over the years heard stories of his carry on when under the influence.

Should have a heavy fine and possibly irfu contract cancelled day after the “piss up”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Uncharted wrote: »
    He's takin the piss .

Was it a guy or a girl he pissed on? And was it cause he had an issue with the person or was that other person just unlucky to be standing there ?

• Advertisement

LillySV wrote: »
    Was it a guy or a girl he pissed on? And was it cause he had an issue with the person or was that other person just unlucky to be standing there ?

It was a guy who he didn’t know and had no connection to.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭antfin

Sean O'Brien pisses on someone in a pub - gets "sanctioned".

Paddy Jackson sent some dirty messages to his mates - sacked, sponsors pull out of his new club.

Looking forward to Diageo's statement and whether pissing on someone matches their values.

Seeing as they already cancelled their sponsorship of London Irish I wouldn't expect them to continue to issue statements on other signings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

antfin wrote: »
    Seeing as they already cancelled their sponsorship of London Irish I wouldn't expect them to continue to issue statements on other signings.

Diageo sponsor the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭antfin

Diageo sponsor the IRFU.

I think we can safely say we will never see O'Brien wear an Irish national or provincial jersey again. I'm sure he might return to Ireland for the odd "piss up" but he'll not be playing a game in an IRFU shirt again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/the-player-has-expressed-his-deep-regret-sean-obrien-sanctioned-by-irfu-over-incident-in-pub-38247672.html

Paddy Jackson sent some dirty messages to his mates - sacked, sponsors pull out of his new club.

Looking forward to Diageo's statement and whether pissing on someone matches their values.

Disingenuous comparison there tbh. Both players engaged in undoubtedly scumbag behaviour and brought disgrace to the IRFU. Why the massive, massive difference in outcomes?

"The IRFU have investigated an incident of inappropriate behaviour by a player which occurred on 26th May 2019. The player has expressed his deep regret and has been sanctioned in line with the provisions of his contract. The player has apologised to the individual involved. The IRFU, and the player, regret any upset that this incident has caused."

Paddy Jackson had no intention of apologising for his behaviour and showed no remorse whatsoever. That’s the difference between both outcomes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/the-player-has-expressed-his-deep-regret-sean-obrien-sanctioned-by-irfu-over-incident-in-pub-38247672.html

Diageo dropped London Irish and SOB will not play for Ireland again as he is overseas

Strumms wrote: »
    Disappointing, 99.99% of people can go out for a drink and not cause a single issue, be it argument, physical fight, verbal altercation or whatever. Some people though after a few pints and that self control and self check can go out the window...however what the fûck snaps to the point that someone decided to piss on someone else... psychotic.

SOB is 32 and nothing like this has ever happened before

It was his last game for Leinster, his last game for Ireland, his last game in Ireland and maybe his last game ever because of the injury

He made a mistake, the guys life was turned upside down in last few months. He had a few too many and apologised afterward

Get off your high horse

Shefwedfan wrote: »

It was his last game for Leinster, his last game for Ireland, his last game in Ireland and maybe his last game ever because of the injury

He made a mistake, the guys life was turned upside down in last few months. He had a few too many and apologised afterward

Get off your high horse

I’m not gonna repeat anything but let’s say there’s form there for “zany/completely inappropriate” behaviour while under the influence.

“The IRFU have investigated an incident of inappropriate behaviour by a player which occurred on 26th May 2019 (Sunday night),” read an IRFU statement. “The player has expressed his deep regret and has been sanctioned in line with the provisions of his contract.”

Irish rugby’s governing body did not release details of the sanction. O’Brien, who could not be reached for comment, allegedly urinated on another man in Cassidy’s pub on Camden Street.

Just read this story here in The Irish Times and came looking for a thread. What sort of human being would urinate on other? It has a depravity all of its own, one often associated with the dregs of society doing it to some homeless person on the street for the "fun" when drunk some night. To actually think this is acceptable is mindboggling.

It truly is a stain on that person's character for life. He is 32, not 16 and from some hugely depraved background.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just read this story here in The Irish Times and came looking for a thread. What sort of human being would urinate on other? It has a depravity all of its own, one often associated with the dregs of society doing it to some homeless person on the street for the "fun" when drunk some night. To actually think this is acceptable is mindboggling.

It truly is a stain on that person's character for life. He is 32, not 16 and from some hugely depraved background.

Some people are into water sports.

I’m not gonna repeat anything but let’s say there’s form there for “zany/completely inappropriate” behaviour while under the influence.

As this was happening it was been tweeted about by certain members of the press who have it in for all things rugby for years

It’s not hard to find the players, it’s the same pubs they go to....if other things like this had happened don’t worry the press would have no issue reporting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's the sort of thing that'll be a little asterisk beside his name from now on. Sean O'Brien, glittering career. Pissed on some one in a pub. The sanction is meaningless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Paddy Jackson had no intention of apologising for his behaviour and showed no remorse whatsoever. That’s the difference between both outcomes.

Indeed. The blue-haired mob only accept total prostration.

https://theodoredalrymple.wordpress.com/2019/06/22/the-pleasures-of-denunciation/

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

The dirty auld bollix.

Get off your high horse

How many people have got drunk and never thought it was acceptable to urinate on another human? How about the vast, vast, vast majority of such people?

It was barbarism, and to blame alcohol for a 32-year-old doing this doesn't wash. At 32 you know your character enough, and you will know the effect alcohol has on you. Should you choose to get drunk in the knowledge of this, you are entirely to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nermal wrote: »
    Indeed. The blue-haired mob only accept total prostration.

https://theodoredalrymple.wordpress.com/2019/06/22/the-pleasures-of-denunciation/

How are the blue-haired mob even relevant here? I’m pointing out that he apologised to the victim for his behaviour, Paddy Jackson didn’t. It’s a very simple concept.

How many people have got drunk and never thought it was acceptable to urinate on another human? How about the vast, vast, vast majority of such people?

It was barbarism, and to blame alcohol for a 32-year-old doing this doesn't wash. At 32 you know your character enough, and you will know the effect alcohol has on you. Should you choose to get drunk in the knowledge of this, you are entirely to blame.

Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Get off your high horse

Away out of that, you're another one for letting him off the hook because of who he is. He should be absolutely ruined for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I’m pointing out that he apologised to the victim for his behaviour, Paddy Jackson didn’t. It’s a very simple concept.

Mr Jackson said public criticism of his behaviour was "fully justified" and he expressed determination to return to the values and principles that guided his upbringing, in particular the importance of respect.

He said: "I am also truly sorry for engaging in a Whatsapp group chat which was degrading and offensive and I apologise unreservedly for this.

"The criticism of my behaviour is fully justified and I know I have betrayed the values of my family and those of the wider public.

"Following the trial I have taken time to reflect with my family on the values that were such an integral part of my upbringing, the most important of which is respect.

"My departure from these values has caused understandable public anger and I am resolutely committed to returning to those principles."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭KaneToad

How are the blue-haired mob even relevant here? I’m pointing out that he apologised to the victim for his behaviour, Paddy Jackson didn’t. It’s a very simple concept.

Jackson doesn't believe she was a 'victim.' It would appear the court didn't either. Whether you/I like it or not.

Away out of that, you're another one for letting him off the hook because of who he is. He should be absolutely ruined for it.

Who is letting him off the hook?

He was leaving Ireland before the game and he was never going to play for ireland again anyway

He has come out and apologized and gone to the person who he did it against. He has got a fine from the IRFU, probably a fairly big one as well.

What exactly do you want to do to him?

KaneToad wrote: »
    Jackson doesn't believe she was a 'victim.' It would appear the court didn't either. Whether you/I like it or not.

What exactly has Jackson got to do with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a major blind eye turned to the antics of rugby players in Ireland.

Imagine this was James McClean or Jon Walters. It'd be front page news for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭KaneToad

What exactly has Jackson got to do with this?

Nothing to do with thread title. I was responding to a post. Is this not how discussion boards work?

• Advertisement

There's a major blind eye turned to the antics of rugby players in Ireland.

Imagine this was James McClean or Jon Walters. It'd be front page news for days.

That’s what the press keep telling us but then again this was been tweeted to everyone by the press as it happened....by the same person in the press that tells everyone that the rugby players get away with everything.....

Advertisement