Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Brien 'sanctioned' by IRFU for pissing on someone in a pub.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

dickangel wrote: »
    I heard he put his micky in the lads pocket and then pissed.

He must have been a dick angel :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can he really be seen as a role model for kids/teenagers?
    So, I've seen lots of lads pissing on Ally ways at night time or the odd fella might piss some where stupid but I never heard of somebody pissing on somebody.
    Even after the case last year you'd think himself and his friends may be more on Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No excuse but a stupid amount of drink over a number of days was involved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's crazy how there is such a clamour to address the drink culture in GAA, when it's far more part of rugby's culture. It seems that days out at the matches are more centred on the pre- and post-match drinks rather than the sport itself.

Definitely the Irish sporting equivalent of a 'jock' environment.

Then again it's okay because they are barristers, lawyers and bankers and as such they are fine upstanding members of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

antfin wrote: »
    Seeing as they already cancelled their sponsorship of London Irish I wouldn't expect them to continue to issue statements on other signings.

Diageo did issue a statement on his bizarre behaviour - a 2 worded response - NO COMMENT -

kind of apt from a drinks company that fuels bad behaviour.

I was a massive SOB fan throughout his career , but can not understand how he did what he did , even allowing for being plastered on the product Diageo peddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,129 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I’d say a huge swathe of the Irish rugby panel at any one time are capable of awful behaviour, maintaining a mask of civility for the media but absolute liabilities on a night out. I’m sure they’ll get up to more such nonsense in the aftermath of their impending quadrennial quarter final exit from the WC.

Seanie has form for this type of indefensible scumbaggery too. They get far too easy a ride as a collective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SOB is 32 and nothing like this has ever happened before

It was his last game for Leinster, his last game for Ireland, his last game in Ireland and maybe his last game ever because of the injury

He made a mistake, the guys life was turned upside down in last few months. He had a few too many and apologised afterward

Get off your high horse

Has he not got form for this before as his party peace, it’s not a mistake to walk up to someone in a pub and piss on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I'm not quite sure how to word this but I'd think very long and hard about changing my local if that's a risk upon entering.

I can't say I'm too worried about it happening again if I'm being honest. Gotta go with the flow and all that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

If this was a lad who played for Rovers, Pat's or Bohs who did this youd all want him up for criminal charges.

Absolute lowest of the lowest scumbag acts. Christ hes got off lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

thebaz wrote: »
    Diageo did issue a statement on his bizarre behaviour - a 2 worded response - NO COMMENT -

kind of apt from a drinks company that fuels bad behaviour.

What’s the onus on diageo though to comment on every single fûckwit who exhibits bad behavior on a night out ? 99.99% of folks on a night out go have a laugh and enjoy themselves without causing hurt or distress to anyone. There are people who never drink who are some of the greatest ****èrs known to humanity.

If a person has a curry for lunch, goes to Tesco and has a rant at the staff for having ran out of Nutella, would you expect them to receive a call from Uncle Ben apologizing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Strumms wrote: »
    What’s the onus on diageo though to comment on every single fûckwit who exhibits bad behavior on a night out ? 99.99% of folks on a night out go have a laugh and enjoy themselves without causing hurt or distress to anyone. There are people who never drink who are some of the greatest ****èrs known to humanity.

If a person has a curry for lunch, goes to Tesco and has a rant at the staff for having ran out of Nutella, would you expect them to receive a call from Uncle Ben apologizing?

That's a terrible analogy to be fair. Uncle Ben's don't sell mind-altering rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Strumms wrote: »

Probably because 90% of bad behaviour in ireland is the result of excess booze - read most court reports - never hear of people crashing cars or domestic abuse due to excess rice -I just find the drink company marketing spiel hypocritical ,pretending they care about societys well being when really its just about selling more cheap booze to whoever. I worked in Advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If this was a lad who played for Rovers, Pat's or Bohs who did this youd all want him up for criminal charges.

Absolute lowest of the lowest scumbag acts. Christ hes got off lightly.

Maybe if there was a footballer who was done for a worse act but was still playing with little or no attention drawn to it we could compare it?

Something like being involved in the gang rape of a teenager.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Maybe if there was a footballer who was done for a worse act but was still playing with little or no attention drawn to it we could compare it?

Something like being involved in the gang rape of a teenager.................

That awful feeling when your whataboutery is a day late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's crazy how there is such a clamour to address the drink culture in GAA, when it's far more part of rugby's culture. It seems that days out at the matches are more centred on the pre- and post-match drinks rather than the sport itself.

Then again it's okay because they are barristers, lawyers and bankers and as such they are fine upstanding members of the community.

He’s a farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What a load of rubbish

Are we back in the early 1900 and people are all wearing top hats going to the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭benjy1000

Boys will be boys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

benjy1000 wrote: »
    Boys will be boys

Bet you wouldn't be saying that if I p!ssed down your leg on a Saturday night out while you were minding you own business. Nope.. you would rightly throw your toys out of the pram :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

I'll be looking at his girlfriend in a different light anyways! He must like pissing on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Whole thing annoys me so much.
    Son plays Rugby in SOB's home club, he is around every once in a while and is great with the kids. They all look up to him, so does mine. They had their end of season award ceremony with SOB present, it was nice, he mingled with all the kids.
    Then goes off a few weeks later, gets hammered (nothing wrong with that) and pisses on someone's leg.
    And now you have a bunch of kids asking why the hell he's doing something like this because even they know that this isn't an acceptable thing to do.

I hate that sportspeople can get away with things that would never be acceptable in the real world. They're not entitled to be lifted sky high and I can't understand that some don't seem to understand that the job comes with certain responsibilities because they're not only sportsmen but also representing a team with their values and are often being brand ambassadors.
    If anyone here would piss down someone else's leg because they had a few too much on a work outing I am sure your manager would have a word or two to say about that.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    Whole thing annoys me so much.
    Son plays Rugby in SOB's home club, he is around every once in a while and is great with the kids. They all look up to him, so does mine. They had their end of season award ceremony with SOB present, it was nice, he mingled with all the kids.
    Then goes off a few weeks later, gets hammered (nothing wrong with that) and pisses on someone's leg.
    And now you have a bunch of kids asking why the hell he's doing something like this because even they know that this isn't an acceptable thing to do.

I hate that sportspeople can get away with things that would never be acceptable in the real world. They're not entitled to be lifted sky high and I can't understand that some don't seem to understand that the job comes with certain responsibilities because they're not only sportsmen but also representing a team with their values and are often being brand ambassadors.
    If anyone here would piss down someone else's leg because they had a few too much on a work outing I am sure your manager would have a word or two to say about that.

How exactly did he get away with this? I would think that the fact he’s a well known sports person has actually made this worse for him. If he was Sean that works in the local factory very few would have known about it.

I'll be looking at his girlfriend in a different light anyways! He must like pissing on people.

???????

What sort of a stupid comment is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What a weird guy??

Like ...why...would you even do that???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

O'Brien should have faced a bigger sanction given what he did

Shocking scumbag.

Danzy wrote: »
    O'Brien should have faced a bigger sanction given what he did

Shocking scumbag.

Bigger sanction than the sanction that we don’t know what the sanction is?

salmocab wrote: »
    Bigger sanction than the sanction that we don’t know what the sanction is?

Yes big one.....huge one.....

I think the IRFU should just release a statement saying "SOB had a MASSIVE sanction".....then everyone will be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Cannot believe some if the comments, boys will be boys etc. This is dirty rotten knacker behaviour. In all my 15 years of nights out amongst lads and football teams and there have been plenty of good natured wild ones, I have never known anyone to stoop so low.

Disgusting and unnacceptable. Utterly bizarre too. I've heard SOB is bad on the drink. He should think about giving it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KAMG

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SOB is 32 and nothing like this has ever happened before

It was his last game for Leinster, his last game for Ireland, his last game in Ireland and maybe his last game ever because of the injury

He made a mistake, the guys life was turned upside down in last few months. He had a few too many and apologised afterward

Get off your high horse

Are you actually for real. This is really scumbag behavior. Like most, if not all posters here, I have been out on the lash on plenty of occasions and have been very drunk and seen loads of drunken messing etc. But I never, ever, seen someone piss on someone else. And inside in a pub to make it even worse. Shocking. And I'm shocked anyone can even consider making excuses for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

salmocab wrote: »
    He’s a farmer.

I was referring to the fan-base. Essentially exhibiting alcoholic tendencies by making a day at a rugby match an excuse for a piss-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He should be tied to a lamppost and sanctioned all over then.

Advertisement